Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The playing filed is wide open now. Things are going to get interesting in the aftermath of E3. That's all MS had to do since the customers were telling them what they wanted this time last year before E3 even happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Worked for Sony with the PS3.

I really get the feeling MS haven't learned from Sony's mistakes with the PS3. Sony tried to make the ultimate set top box with media playback capabilities, tonnes of card slots and compatible with the entire Playstation library. That quickly got cut down when the price was so high they priced themselves out of the market. The PS4 they seem to be going for more of a games machine that happens to have multimedia capabilities.

MS went for the PS3 approach of the all in one set top box without studying how much of a disaster it was for Sony.

The problem with the multimedia stuff is that as the consoles age, tablets, phones and TV all keep progressing and eventually surpass what the consoles can do and inevitably do it a lot better.

With wireless screen mirroring being built into everything now and how compatible it is with modern TVs, it soon becomes easier to just use your phone or tablet to watch or listen to something on your TV than firing up your console, which is slower and more cumbersome by comparison.

That's why I don't really care about the multimedia stuff, because a few years down the line it'll be easier to do it on my tablet, already is, and I'll use my console less and less for that kind of thing.

I'd rather it be a games machine first and foremost and all that stuff can be tacked on after.

I'm on the UK site. I tried a traditional Xbox one with kinect and it was ok to send that to Ireland which is weird...

The Kinectless version is on Amazon.com only right now. When Amazon.co.uk have it on their site then you can order it no problem. You were trying to by the US version with the US power supply and have customs and VAT charged to it. It would work out more expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With the prices level Christmas will be interesting. There's no way Sony will drop the price of the machine with them hurting so badly financially. I predict a big surge in sales of the One particularly in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Emmm, I hope people not jumping in to preorder that thing already? I am sure there are some deals floating around which include games. I am not surprised if you can land an xbox one with kinect and some games and be better value after you consider the non kinect xbox one and buying games on top of that.

• Advertisement

"If MS lay off the TV, Kinect 2 and the mysterious "power of the cloud" a bit, perhaps take a look at their paywall options while sticking with the games they have they could turn things around there imo. All they have to do really is announce a €400 Kinect free SKU with Halo 5 included and they win E3. "

Can't believe I only posted this 2 days ago in jest on the E3 leaks thread and MS come out and actually do it. Come on Halo 5.

Should do the Euro Millions this week actually......

• Wow great news overall today. Liking the Games for Gold (Darks Souls - Never played it, USS4 never played it!) & the Paywall removal.
    Well played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Emmm, I hope people not jumping in to preorder that thing already? I am sure there are some deals floating around which include games. I am not surprised if you can land an xbox one with kinect and some games and be better value after you consider the non kinect xbox one and buying games on top of that.

This +1000 the titanfall bundle can be got in the UK for £349 if you look around (the same price as the PS4) wait until closer to the release before you preorder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

With the prices level Christmas will be interesting. There's no way Sony will drop the price of the machine with them hurting so badly financially. I predict a big surge in sales of the One particularly in the US.

Fancy a bet? I don't think this will have much effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

I reckon I'll still go for a PS4 when there's a few games worth getting for it, god knows what the Xbox 180 is going to end up being, Microsoft don't even know at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RasTa wrote: »
    Fancy a bet? I don't think this will have much effect.

It's early days yet and this will level the playing field. You'd be surprised how much power brand loyalty can have and there's plenty of xbox owners that where considering a PS4 change their mind. Brand loyalty kept the PS3 from tanking as bad in its first few years.

My prediction:

Big sales spike when this SKU comes out especially in the US.
    Gap closes to a 2-3 million after Xmas 2014. PS4 in the lead.

No way I'd put a bet on it though. the videogame market is notoriously fickle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

wow they didn't take long to splash it all over the xbox dashboard big ad when you boot up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I think it's a good move but basically renders the Kinect about as useful as the PS Camera since the install base will now be divided making it less appealing to developers.

It's at a nice price-point, if they can follow this up with some nice exclusives at E3 I'll pick one up sooner than I thought. Exclusives have always been the weakest aspect of an Xbox in my opinion, always felt PS had the better exclusives overall.

With the ps4 and one being basically homogenous in terms of releases no developer was realistically going to put effort into kinect support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Poor Kinect. :)

safe_image.php?d=AQCaTsz0k4s2y9YI&w=470&h=246&url=https%3A%2F%2Fscontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-frc3%2Ft31.0-8%2Fs720x720%2F10338475_713514222021355_737276257702253030_o.png&cfs=1&upscale
    Kinect 2.0 wrote:
    Nobody loves me.... People just don't understand me.....

Poor Kinect. :)

safe_image.php?d=AQCaTsz0k4s2y9YI&w=470&h=246&url=https%3A%2F%2Fscontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-frc3%2Ft31.0-8%2Fs720x720%2F10338475_713514222021355_737276257702253030_o.png&cfs=1&upscale

That's what happens to the eye of sauron :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I'm happy that the One is finally morphing into a viable machine (disposing of everything consumers don't want), Microsoft's continual backtracking on everything they said was 'integral' to the vision of their console leaves a sour taste. There's a disdain for consumers and a steady stream of corporate contradictions that makes Microsoft look confused and amateurish. It's as if they're trying to figure it out as they go, whereas Sony launched with a tightly designed piece of hardware and pretty definitive, crystal clear policies (a few missteps like the recent Drive Club upgrade issue aside - which at least was rectified promptly). Microsoft meanwhile aggressively pushed and reiterated their vision of the future, and this is another case of backtracking sheepishly when they realise how misguided they were in the first place.

Microsoft really need to build a strong software catalogue to make Xbox One a worthy purchase, IMO anyway. As is, I'd be reluctant to buy a machine which the creators don't even seem to know what they want it to be. But indications are that it's on the way to being something that isn't a bloated, cynical mess - although it should never have launched as such in the first place. Seems like a good thing that the console's architects have moved on to pastures new, and the One is better placed than ever to be a genuine contender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's early days yet and this will level the playing field. You'd be surprised how much power brand loyalty can have and there's plenty of xbox owners that where considering a PS4 change their mind. Brand loyalty kept the PS3 from tanking as bad in its first few years.

My prediction:

Big sales spike when this SKU comes out especially in the US.
    Gap closes to a 2-3 million after Xmas 2014. PS4 in the lead.

No way I'd put a bet on it though. the videogame market is notoriously fickle.

They are actually removing the only part that sets is apart from Sony.

Don't think their are enough games coming to cause a spike.

March
    xbone+kinect+titanfall = $450
    PS4 standalone = $400
    Sony wins

While I'm happy that the One is finally morphing into a viable machine (disposing of everything consumers don't want), Microsoft's continual backtracking on everything they said was 'integral' to the vision of their console leaves a sour taste. There's a disdain for consumers and a steady stream of corporate contradictions that makes Microsoft look confused and amateurish. It's as if they're trying to figure it out as they go, whereas Sony launched with a tightly designed piece of hardware and pretty definitive, crystal clear policies (a few missteps like the recent Drive Club upgrade issue aside - which at least was rectified promptly). Microsoft meanwhile aggressively pushed and reiterated their vision of the future, and this is another case of backtracking sheepishly when they realise how misguided they were in the first place.

Microsoft really need to build a strong software catalogue to make Xbox One a worthy purchase, IMO anyway. As is, I'd be reluctant to buy a machine which the creators don't even seem to know what they want it to be. But indications are that it's on the way to being something that isn't a bloated, cynical mess - although it should never have launched as such in the first place. Seems like a good thing that the console's architects have moved on to pastures new.

I am delighted with all Microsoft's backtracking or as I call it progress :)
    Sometimes you have to take a few steps back to make a big leap forward.

Microsoft went all in with a huge bet that Xbox One would become the centre of everyone's living room. Its quite obvious that they were lead down this path by Don Mattrick since he was given the boot shortly after the hand was played. (left on his own accord :rolleyes: )

The Xbox division have really been listening closely to the feedback from Xbox One gamers. We have been getting OS updates every 3-4 weeks for the last few months.

IMO the major selling point of the Xbox One is Microsoft's Azure dedicated server hosting (Cloud :D) found right here in Dublin and used in games like Titanfall. Game developers have been offered these servers for free. I hope that the usual November FPS releases will utilise these servers. The lack of lag is just awesome.

RasTa wrote: »
    They are actually removing the only part that sets is apart from Sony.

Don't think their are enough games coming to cause a spike.

March
    xbone+kinect+titanfall = $450
    PS4 standalone = $400
    Sony wins

People that are clued in about gaming don't make up the majority of people that buy consoles. The price drop removes that psychological barrier of entry for joe soap wanted to upgrade his Xbox 360. Unfortunately a good software line up around launchdoesn't really affect sales. The current crop of consoles haven't got a single defining game and are selling well while the wiiu with some excellent games is floundering. Brand and image really are what's going to shape the early sales I believe. Even then it's still far to early to call it. The PS3 is a good example of a total disaster turning things around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

They'll have to update the videos on their youtube page for this new console.

I am picturing some fella shouting "Xbox On" at his telly repeatedly and nothing happening because the Kinect isn't there.
    Speaking with Eurogamer, Xbox UK marketing chief Eagle said, “[A Kinect-less Xbox One] is not in our plans at all. As we’ve said from the very beginning, we believe Kinect is an absolutely integral part of the Xbox One experience.”
    http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/25/xbox-one-kinect-less-bundle-not-in-our-plans-at-all-says-eagle/

That was 3 months ago. They don't have a clue what they are doing. I couldn't give them €400 for a console after the DRM thing and now this. Consumers get what they want but once again MS have gone back on what they said. The console also loses a fairly major feature when you remove Kinect. Sort yourselves out FFS.

Basically we are back to how it was in the last gen now, exclusives being the only real difference and the PS4 being slightly more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    About time they got rid of that waste of space.

Kind of funny how vehemently they defended it and denied getting rid of it when gamers knew it was useless for games which mattered most.
    I think its more a 'hey our sales aren't doing so good, we need to lower the price and we have this thing that is putting a lot of people off buying'. I'm wondering what their plans with augmented reality are, honestly. I'm wondering if it'll prove to be pointless crap or interesting. As far as kinect goes, I'm still anticipating D4, and want to see if that turns out well.
    IMO the major selling point of the Xbox One is Microsoft's Azure dedicated server hosting (Cloud :D) found right here in Dublin and used in games like Titanfall. Game developers have been offered these servers for free. I hope that the usual November FPS releases will utilise these servers. The lack of lag is just awesome.
    See, here's where I start to get confused. Microsoft are providing free servers, huh? Well, that doesn't seem consistent with something unless I'm missing something glaring. Battlefield 4. Wasn't that said to be having crazy server issues firstly? And aren't they now selling private servers? If there is this free Azure offer for devs, why in the case of Battlefield 4 was it not adopted? It clearly sets a precedent for: Don't expect Azure in all games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I think its more a 'hey our sales aren't doing so good, we need to lower the price and we have this thing that is putting a lot of people off buying'. I'm wondering what their plans with augmented reality are, honestly. I'm wondering if it'll prove to be pointless crap or interesting. As far as kinect goes, I'm still anticipating D4, and want to see if that turns out well.

See, here's where I start to get confused. Microsoft are providing free servers, huh? Well, that doesn't seem consistent with something unless I'm missing something glaring. Battlefield 4. Wasn't that said to be having crazy server issues firstly? And aren't they now selling private servers? If there is this free Azure offer for devs, why in the case of Battlefield 4 was it not adopted? It clearly sets a precedent for: Don't expect Azure in all games.

Sure why use free servers when they can just use their own and rent them to people.

A link explaining why, apparently http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dice-considered-delaying-battlefield-4-on-xbox-one-ps4/1100-6415651/

Titanfall has being using the cloud servers from day one and it runs superb.A ping of 13ms i have.The Division is another Game that will be using them in the near future and its pretty amazing how the world will react with the Cloud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Pushtrak wrote: »

Technically we're paying for the free servers with the xbox live subscriptions. Titanfall was the first game to use the azure servers so should expect a lot more games to utilize them in the future.

So if the games are multiplat and they use and rent them off MS, PS4 users will benefit from them too.

Like if the next Titanfall uses them, they can't split the servers for X1 and PS4, because that'd be too messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Shiminay wrote: »
    It's not a smart move, it's the correction of a terrible business decision. There's a really important distinction here. It's the same point being made in this Jimquisition.

You don't say thank you to someone who's stopped poking you in the eye with a fork for the last 10 minutes - you slap the fork out of their hands and tell them to fk off before they manage to get you with it the first time :)

Similarly, anyone saying "thank you" to Microsoft for giving a Kinectless option instead of just opting for a PS4 (or gods forbid, doing it properly and getting a PC :p) the first time should really remember that they're the customer and they get to dictate what's right for them, not Microsoft.

Well I wouldn't quite say anyone was being poked with a stick here. Nobody was forced to buy an Xbox One, I can assure you that simply ignoring its existence was a very viable option after having tried it myself. I do think that turning it around to this degree was probably a tough decision for MS though, after all the hope they had put into the Kinect being a central feature. That said, saying thank you for making a console buyable is silly, but I think people here are just glad that the competition is a bit tighter now.
    With the ps4 and one being basically homogenous in terms of releases no developer was realistically going to put effort into kinect support.

Well MS could always have nudged exclusive titles to make use of it.

Now that the two consoles are practically identical to most people, it seems like exclusive games are going to be more important than ever. I'm still on the fence myself, having seen nothing that I can't get a better version of on PC but I'm a lot less biased toward Sony at this point. Wii U still looks like it'll be my first purchase of this generation.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    So if the games are multiplat and they use and rent them off MS, PS4 users will benefit from them too.

Like if the next Titanfall uses them, they can't split the servers for X1 and PS4, because that'd be too messy.

No, the Xbox live compute service runs on Microsoft's Azure servers. Only for Xbox One. If Sony are lucky enough to get their hands on Titanfall 2 they'll have to use their own infrastructure to host PS4 games.

It's highly unlikely that Sony will have servers as well located or as robust as Microsoft's platform.
    Pushtrak wrote:

Both Battlefield 4 & Call of Duty Ghosts were being made long before the Xbox compute service was launched. Titanfall is the first game to utilise this service. Also both games dev studios have been developing their own platforms for hosting for many years.

Major Nelson talks about free dedicated servers for the development community. http://majornelson.com/2013/10/17/xbox-is-providing-free-dedicated-server-hosting-to-our-xbox-one-development-community/

Got this email from Twitch.
    Update: Twitch on Xbox

Today Xbox Wire announced that coming this June, Xbox Live Gold will no longer be required for popular entertainment apps like Twitch. That’s right, the Twitch app will be available on Xbox One and Xbox 360 for all, free of charge, right along with Netflix, Hulu Plus, and HBO Go.

Things are really starting to heat up.

Xbox have also announced a 'Deals with Gold' program which will offer discounts on select digital downloadable games. Great for those of us who order off the US store.

I wonder how much will Kinect 2.0 be as an accessory. I'd say it will be priced over €100.

No, the Xbox live compute service runs on Microsoft's Azure servers. Only for Xbox One. If Sony are lucky enough to get their hands on Titanfall 2 they'll have to use their own infrastructure to host PS4 games.

It's highly unlikely that Sony will have servers as well located or as robust as Microsoft's platform.

Both Battlefield 4 & Call of Duty Ghosts were being made long before the Xbox compute service was launched. Titanfall is the first game to utilise this service. Also both games dev studios have been developing their own platforms for hosting for many years.

Major Nelson talks about free dedicated servers for the development community. http://majornelson.com/2013/10/17/xbox-is-providing-free-dedicated-server-hosting-to-our-xbox-one-development-community/

Considering it was never supposed to be an exclusive and that they'll make more money on both consoles than just the X1, when there's fewer of them, it is all but a certainty that Titanfall 2 will be out on the PS4 -they've always stated the first was the exclusive and that it was an unapproved deal with EA and MS, excluding the developer.

You said developers could rent out their servers, doesn't this mean that they could have anyone on it at all once they're pairing for it? It's not good business to only allow Live accounts to use it as that severely limits your market, and developers won't spit up servers because it's too messy. They'll either all go together or not at all, as usually happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I thin a lot of people are being very naive around here.

The US is Xbox's strongest territory by far. In March Titanfall released with months of massive hype and a huge advertising campaign. It didn't go as expected and within days Xbox One received an unofficial price drop for the rest of march making it $450 with a free game thrwon in.

Despite all that Sony still sold more units in March. http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/17/march-2014-npd-playstation-4-outsells-xbox-one-again-despite-titanfall/

As you can see it was outsold by the PS4 by a whopping 60k units. There is no price drop or Titanfall in April so I imagine things look will be a lot worse for that. NPD April comes out tomorrow so I guess we will see. I predict it will be bad and worldwide it's a lot worse compared to the PS4.

In MS's recent end of year results they announced the number of XBO's made and judging by the poor sales it will take a long time for existing Xbox's to be sold. Without this price cut they would of had to halt production completely for the next quarter.

This leads me to my next point. MS has not done umpteen 180's since they announced/released it (XBOX One) because they love the fan base, they are doing it because consumers have voted with their feet and only their most loyal followers have jumped on their new console. Desperate times call for desperate measures and if this price cut doesn't impact on sales big time expect another one this Xmas or soon after.

I just don't get people when they say it's great to see MS is progressing and what not. The reality is they tried to milk consumers with anti consumer policies and it backfired massively. Kinect will now never reach it's full potential and an Xbox One without it loses it's only plus point over the PS4.

Sony proved over the last 3 years that they will release great games right to the end of a consoles generation but MS abandoned the core gamer and pushed a load of Kinect shovelware. If you ask me the PS4 is the safe bet and by choosing it you'll likely be able to play online with more of your friends than if you chose the xbox one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement