Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Got this email from Twitch.

Things are really starting to heat up.

Xbox have also announced a 'Deals with Gold' program which will offer discounts on select digital downloadable games. Great for those of us who order off the US store.

I wonder how much will Kinect 2.0 be as an accessory. I'd say it will be priced over €100.

They are playing catch up big time. One thing for sure though is how competition is great. The Xbox would be a catastrophe if the PS4 wasn't there to change it's completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I can't believe there are such naive people who callcthis whole Ms thing a "progress".

They should really watch latest jimquisition on youtube.

It's mind bowling how these big companies creating problems, then fixing them and getting praised for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's kinda like commending a runner who finally takes off the ball and chain to catch up with others. And stops charging just to watch him.

I hope the Xbox become a challenge to the PS4 soon. As much as I love my PS4, my best times with my PS3 were when Sony were clawing back the way MS are trying. Competitive market. Better offers. Good times for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I can't believe there are such naive people who callcthis whole Ms thing a "progress".

It's mind bowling how these big companies creating problems, then fixing them and getting praised for it.

Me neither, another backpeddle from MS....

The Kinect could have had a groundbreaking title had they still bundled it with the console.... (IMO)

Some indie dev may have made the New Minecraft with it - who is to know?

I knew they would eventually do this, it was just a case of when more than anything.....

Now if they get a few decent games in E3 I may pick one up down the line but from the exclusives I've seen so far - I'm not so sure....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

id call it progress but im not going to celebrate common ****ing sense

EDIT: 3000 posts :D

• Advertisement

• I can't believe there are such naive people who callcthis whole Ms thing a "progress".

Yes mistakes were made initially because of an attempt to push a ****ty business model but from the sounds of what your saying is that we shouldn't bother to give any praise whatsoever for them attempting to provide an alternative option to the consumer and address said mistake?

As with the elimination of a paywall for Netflix, better games with Games for gold & the Kinect-less option, Sounds to me that the public voiced there concerns and MS are being forced to listen and have made commendable changes.

It's a win - win for everyone involved but that's not going to stop me saying 'fair play your making an effort to undo your wrongs'.

I was considering getting a One later in the year but all the back tracking and the removal of something Microsoft have repeatedly stated as integral to their machine has completely put me off it altogether. There seems to be a complete lack of respect for gamers and at stage it appears that Microsoft have no idea what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Yes mistakes were made initially because of an attempt to push a ****ty business model but from the sounds of what your saying is that we shouldn't bother to give any praise whatsoever for them attempting to provide an alternative option to the consumer and address said mistake?

As with the elimination of a paywall for Netflix, better games with Games for gold & the Kinect-less option, Sounds to me that the public voiced there concerns and MS are being forced to listen and have made commendable changes.

It's a win - win for everyone involved but that's not going to stop me saying 'fair play your making an effort to undo your wrongs'.

I think it's less a commendation to MS and more a commendation to the free market. In fact, the fact that it's taken them this long to remove the paywall for Netflix, etc reflects poorly on them IMO. We'll have to wait and see how they behave going forward. I'm more impressed with Sony listening to the user base on that driving game debacle because they are currently in the lead, but that could even just be that they are still cautious after the PS3 last gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

I was considering getting a One later in the year but all the back tracking and the removal of something Microsoft have repeatedly stated as integral to their machine has completely put me off it altogether. There seems to be a complete lack of respect for gamers and at stage it appears that Microsoft have no idea what they're doing.

I think its the opposite, their giving a lot more respect to gamers because their listening to what gamers actually want. I don't think the kinect is dead they just released the option of buying an xbox without one which is a great decision. I'm sure its not going to change any games currently in development for the kinect and to I hope microsoft push harder to make the kinect a useful device in the future.
    If microsoft had no idea what they were doing they would have continued down the road they were going with Don Mattrick and get slaughtered at E3 again.

• I think it's less a commendation to MS and more a commendation to the free market. In fact, the fact that it's taken them this long to remove the paywall for Netflix, etc reflects poorly on them IMO. We'll have to wait and see how they behave going forward. I'm more impressed with Sony listening to the user base on that driving game debacle because they are currently in the lead, but that could even just be that they are still cautious after the PS3 last gen.

They still attempted to push that business model with the game regardless only difference is they reacted quicker, partial to the fact that they have observed MS and there mistakes.
    They basically took hold of the market share since E3 2013 because you could arguably say it was an exploitation of MS and there stupid mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The bit in bold is the important part. If it wasn't for the backlash they got initially and the poor sales in comparison to PS4 none of this would have happened.

They badly need to give some kind of plan as they really do look terrible from the outside.

I think its the opposite, their giving a lot more respect to gamers because their listening to what gamers actually want. I don't think the kinect is dead they just released the option of buying an xbox without one which is a great decision. I'm sure its not going to change any games currently in development for the kinect and to I hope microsoft push harder to make the kinect a useful device in the future.
    If microsoft had no idea what they were doing they would have continued down the road they were going with Don Mattrick and get slaughtered at E3 again.

They're not listening to gamers, these changes are not because gamers don't want them but rather thatn Microsoft are being trounced by Sony. They couldn't give a damn what gamers want and if the One was doing better there would be no price drop or new Kinect less model.

It took them almost a decade to remove the pay wall they had Netflix behind. That's not listening to gamers but much like the new model is Microsoft realising that their all in one hinge media box is a failure. ThePS4 has almost no media playback yet is destroying the One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If Sony didn't have their gaming division they might have gone under by now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't think anyone is doubting that this is a good thing for consumers and the Xbox division alike, and is a necessary step forward. I also don't think, however, that Microsoft have managed to completely make up for their hypocrisies and confused messaging thus far, and are simply making changes they should never have had to make in the first place, playing catch up with a competitor who has always had these as no-nonsense standards. I say backtracking, you say progress: honestly, it's probably just a bit of both, and it all boils down to what side you perceive is more dominant.

Also, I have to confess Titanfall's braindead grunts and minimal lag have yet to convince me that Azure is anything more than PR bull**** - no doubt having masses of servers will have some benefits, but I'd like to see more tangible examples of them before considering it anything remotely close to a gamechanger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

It's not respect or caring about the gamer, their sales are under performing and that's been the only catalyst in changing things.

They had a paywall up for nearly a decade on apps and services that shouldn't have been there and they never offered you any extra benefits from gold, they had no plans to change that had their console been popular. It's only that they're lagging in sales significantly enough to sorry them that all of a sudden "they're all for the gamer", when really, it's a "what do we do to get them to buy the console" scramble, and they seem to be destroying their entire road map to do so, which shows they really don't have any concrete plans for the future at all.

The one benefit I hope comes of this is that they don't get into yet another halo, forza, gears cycle over and over and over again. Their games decision really stagnated the last few years and they didn't care. They were far more interested in kinect and casual players, and last year really showed they actually don't give a fúck either as money is paramount, not the experience.
    They haven't been "all for the gamer" in years.

So at least for me, they've a lot to prove and win back. It's pretty amazing how people forget so much in just a year.
    I remember reading memes about MS being the abusive boyfriend and people taking him back because he's changed, you'd still remember what he tried to do to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

The language Microsoft is using has changed a lot too in 12 months, now they're "delivering more choices for fans", can't help but feel they ripped that off from Sony who've been using lingo like that since they revealed the PS4.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    So at least for me, they've a lot to prove and win back. It's pretty amazing how people forget so much in just a year.
    I remember reading memes about MS being the abusive boyfriend and people taking him back because he's changed, you'd still remember what he tried to do to you.

the same can be said for sony too you have to remember they were absolute scum to customers during the ps3 era.

this kinda off crap goes on in every industry because people dont care as long as it doesnt affect them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

They are both steps back. Both bad, just one is not as bad as the other. And that is what Sony has been playing on.

has nobody mentioned the whole Sony and its broken ps4 joypad situation? the left controller thumb piece falls off leaving a really uncomfortable metal stick. I have gone through 3. go into any hmv, smiths or game stop displaying the console and look at the controllers.all the left sticks are messed up.

And let's be fair both a "moderate" graphics upgrade.

We got screwed this "next gen" its all about the money. It has always been. But now there is just less VALUE for money. I kid you not. the amount of people in the pc building forum jumping ship to pc. At first it costs you more money than console. But for that extra 3-400, you get a more powerful machine ,cheaper ,better looking games. No subscription fees. Steam is better than ps+ or Xbox live by a long shot. I'm not preaching here everything is fact.

I say damn you Sony and ms. You set the console gen back. They have opened the flood gates for pc gaming as the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

We got screwed this "next gen" its all about the money. It has always bee. But now there is just less VALUE for money. I kid you not the amount of people in the pc building forum jumping ship to pc. At first it costs you more money than console. But for that extra 3-400 you get a more powerful machine cheaper better looking games. No subscription fees. Steam is better than ps+ or Xbox live by a long shot. I'm not preaching here everything is fact.

You dont even need to spend 3-400 extra ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well at least Microsoft are reacting and changing their ways. It would be much worse if they didn't. Sony aren't much different either and are just coasting on the fact that their biggest rival is screwing up so badly. They're getting a free pass on introducing paid online gaming and having worse media playback than their previous console since the focus is on MS.

Neither of those faceless corporations are listening to to gamers. They've a team of analysts for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Looking forward to the package deals that will be available for xmas

Might just get myself one now if Arkham Knight was thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well at least Microsoft are reacting and changing their ways. It would be much worse if they didn't. Sony aren't much different either and are just coasting on the fact that their biggest rival is screwing up so badly. They're getting a free pass on introducing paid online gaming and having worse media playback than their previous console since the focus is on MS.

Neither of those faceless corporations are listening to to gamers. They've a team of analysts for that.

This is the real problem faceless non gamers in suits looking at marketing research and projections, which seem to read as " the average console gamer is a cash dispensing mong with no real expectations.

And sure the oblivious fan boys will drive the greed machine on. the whole Microsoft xbone vs PlayStation 4 situation "oooh our game is at 900p yours at 720" . It just distracts from the real issues of this new generation of pure greed consoles. Look at this list of things added to next gen and the list of removed? Subscription Subscriptions Subscriptions. Microsoft set a bar of pure greed , then they lower it and people hi 5. Sony have used Microsoft to gauge the angry mob. And shout we would never do that to our gamers "now" phew dogged a bullet there" subtly slide their greedy business model in your pocket while you point at Microsoft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Neither of those faceless corporations are listening to to gamers.

Oh, they're listening alright. In fact, they're listening right now. :pac:

tumblr_mn80y0rvf81rrlcfno1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

They still attempted to push that business model with the game regardless only difference is they reacted quicker, partial to the fact that they have observed MS and there mistakes.
    They basically took hold of the market share since E3 2013 because you could arguably say it was an exploitation of MS and there stupid mistakes.

The big difference for me is that Sony didn't need a competitor or massive loss of sales to force them to change, the bad PR was enough to convince them. I'm not saying Sony are saints and MS are the devil, just giving my view on their respective recent decisions.
    They are both steps back. Both bad, just one is not as bad as the other. And that is what Sony has been playing on.

has nobody mentioned the whole Sony and its broken ps4 joypad situation? the left controller thumb piece falls off leaving a really uncomfortable metal stick. I have gone through 3. go into any hmv, smiths or game stop displaying the console and look at the controllers.all the left sticks are messed up.

And let's be fair both a "moderate" graphics upgrade.

We got screwed this "next gen" its all about the money. It has always been. But now there is just less VALUE for money. I kid you not. the amount of people in the pc building forum jumping ship to pc. At first it costs you more money than console. But for that extra 3-400, you get a more powerful machine ,cheaper ,better looking games. No subscription fees. Steam is better than ps+ or Xbox live by a long shot. I'm not preaching here everything is fact.

I say damn you Sony and ms. You set the console gen back. They have opened the flood gates for pc gaming as the norm.

I've never heard anyone else complain about the analog sticks on the controllers. Are you unusually rough with them? My main issue is that Sony skimped on the batteries for the DS4, which is BS. I agree that the power of both consoles was a little tepid, but they were probably afraid to try and make a leap forward after the PS3 flopped last gen. Now we're stuck with PC architecture in our consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

The stick complaint has been fairly well documented, on here anyway.

Both companies are there to make money. Both are evil corporations, which would make you pay with your own organs for dlc, if it would be legal.
    Everytime I see negative stuff said about one party, there will be people who shout out " yeah, but you remember how ****y competition company is, they are no angels too." And? At this stage it should be common sense that all of them there to make money and try to **** you, without giving you a kiss. No need to say it over and over again.

The changes MS did are right, but they should not get praised for doing it. Unless you are so naive and don't understand that MS tried to push company policies, that are only there to screw with you as consumer, but it did not worked out and they had to fix. It's like someone is fecking you in the ass, but then he decided to go only half deep from now on, and you praise him for being such a nice guy!

The defence some people giving it to them: "well, they could have done nothing, but now they did, fair play to them! Praise the sun!". Is wrong again. They are forced to do it, because of the competition and finally consumer voting with a wallet and not taking that **** anymore, not because they are a good bunch of lads and decided to be nice and helpful.

TL:DR Version: Ms finally is forced to be competitive and it is a good thing, but you should not give them "good boy" points for it. Both companies are assholes, but in this case Ms is on the spotlight.

The big difference for me is that Sony didn't need a competitor or massive loss of sales to force them to change, the bad PR was enough to convince them. I'm not saying Sony are saints and MS are the devil, just giving my view on their respective recent decisions.

look at the difference in the sales performance between the PS2 and PS3. It was sales that made them change not Bad PR. they banked heavily on the ps3 reaching ps2 levels and it flopped in comparison

Bad PR didnt stop them from removing features from sold consoles, chasing homebrewers and denying the YLOD issue or releasing at a stupidly high price

MS came into this gen the same way that sony came into the last arrogant and got deservedly slaughtered by everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Things are definitely heating up.

Watch Dogs has been announced as 900p at 30 FPS on PS4. Ouch....
    I thought the PS4 could easily hit 1080p at 60FPS. Sony announced Watch Dogs only days ago as being 1080p at 60 FPS :o

It's becoming obvious that the PS4 is not as far ahead as people think in terms of ability. In a recent comparison video for Trials Fusion the Xbox One version looked better at 720p than the PS4's version at 1080p.

Sony seem to want every game to run at 1080p even if it sacrifices some graphical quality.

We are only a few months into a console generation and things are becoming very interesting :cool:

I thought the PS4 could easily hit 1080p at 60FPS. Sony announced Watch Dogs only days ago as being 1080p at 60 FPS :o

It's becoming obvious that the PS4 is not as far ahead as people think in terms of ability. In a recent comparison video for Trials Fusion the Xbox One version looked better at 720p than the PS4's version at 1080p.

Sony seem to want every game to run at 1080p even if it sacrifices some graphical quality.

We are only a few months into a console generation and things are becoming very interesting :cool:

Wtf did I just read?

• Advertisement

1) 900p > 792p
    2) i dont think sony dont care given this is the 3rd? game release at 900p
    3) the ps4 isnt ahead by the 50% some people would like you to believe but it is 10-25% better game to game
    4) trials isnt a decent benchmark by anyones standard

I say this as an Xbox one owner too for the sake of transparency

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement