Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Watch dogs doesn't even look anything amazing anyway. Infamous easily beats it out, and that's 1080p/30fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

NTMK wrote: »
    look at the difference in the sales performance between the PS2 and PS3. It was sales that made them change not Bad PR. they banked heavily on the ps3 reaching ps2 levels and it flopped in comparison

Bad PR didnt stop them from removing features from sold consoles, chasing homebrewers and denying the YLOD issue or releasing at a stupidly high price

MS came into this gen the same way that sony came into the last arrogant and got deservedly slaughtered by everyone

??? I was talking about the driving game, whatever it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Watch dogs doesn't even look anything amazing anyway. Infamous easily beats it out, and that's 1080p/30fps.

I finally took wrapper off second son and fired it up last night. I can say only Woooooow about visuals and not in a way off " it's not bad for a console". It just really looks that good.
    On top of that it is a fun game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

??? I was talking about the driving game, whatever it was called.

apologies. mild brain fart, too hot today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

look at the difference in the sales performance between the PS2 and PS3. It was sales that made them change not Bad PR. they banked heavily on the ps3 reaching ps2 levels and it flopped in comparison

Bad PR didnt stop them from removing features from sold consoles, chasing homebrewers and denying the YLOD issue or releasing at a stupidly high price

MS came into this gen the same way that sony came into the last arrogant and got deservedly slaughtered by everyone

you mean the majority?
    I preferred ms old policies and wish they never changed
    so did quite alot of people on the xbox.com forums

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    you mean the majority?
    I preferred ms old policies and wish they never changed
    so did quite alot of people on the xbox.com forums

Vast majority, yes a couple of thousand people liking the hugely restrictive anti consumer policies that were down right deceptive werent going to make the console a success

you honestly think any company was going to allow their game to be shared amongst 10 people?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vast majority, yes a couple of thousand people liking the hugely restrictive anti consumer policies that were down right deceptive werent going to make the console a success

you honestly think any company was going to allow their game to be shared amongst 10 people?

Sony did it... Then realised it was a stupid idea and limited it. In fact it was never meant as a sharing feature.

• The big difference for me is that Sony didn't need a competitor or massive loss of sales to force them to change, the bad PR was enough to convince them. I'm not saying Sony are saints and MS are the devil, just giving my view on their respective recent decisions.

In fairness they reworked a lot of there showcase material @ E3 to play directly off the bad PR in a quick blitz;

Remember this?

This is what I'm getting at also. We well never know if they had similar ideas. Look how quick it took Microsoft to perform a quick software reversal to remove the silly license bull****e, Sony could well have had the same ideas but managed to arguably use MS as the guinea pig. It's all speculation but these companies are all the same it's just how the play there cards is the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Things are definitely heating up.

Watch Dogs has been announced as 900p at 30 FPS on PS4. Ouch....
    I thought the PS4 could easily hit 1080p at 60FPS. Sony announced Watch Dogs only days ago as being 1080p at 60 FPS :o

It's becoming obvious that the PS4 is not as far ahead as people think in terms of ability. In a recent comparison video for Trials Fusion the Xbox One version looked better at 720p than the PS4's version at 1080p.

Sony seem to want every game to run at 1080p even if it sacrifices some graphical quality.

We are only a few months into a console generation and things are becoming very interesting :cool:

WUM harder good buddy :P

Where was it stated that "the PS4 could easily hit 1080p at 60FPS"?
    This is all in the hands of the developers. If they reduce effects, polygon count etc then they could get 1080/60. Not sure it would be pretty but it would be buttery smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    In fairness they reworked a lot of there showcase material @ E3 to play directly off the bad PR in a quick blitz;

Remember this?

This is what I'm getting at also. We well never know if they had similar ideas. Look how quick it took Microsoft to perform a quick software reversal to remove the silly license bull****e, Sony could well have had the same ideas but managed to arguably use MS as the guinea pig. It's all speculation but these companies are all the same it's just how the play there cards is the difference.

A yeah, true. I was purely speaking to a particular case, but I definitely agree that Sony is no choirboy! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

WUM harder good buddy :P

Where was it stated that "the PS4 could easily hit 1080p at 60FPS"?
    This is all in the hands of the developers. If they reduce effects, polygon count etc then they could get 1080/60. Not sure it would be pretty but it would be buttery smooth.

Watch_Dogs_1080p-670x228_zps97ef426a.jpg

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Remember this?

I remember at the first reveal of the PS4 Sony stated that it would follow the exact same system as the PS3 did, in that developers were allowed to do what they wanted with their games, no used games or not (like network passes on used games).

I never understood this talk of Sony was going to do the same thing as MS until the backlash when they openly said they wouldn't and the system would be the same as it always was.

But had there been no backlash (in another universe) I don't doubt they would've incorporated it in eventually too. The only reason why you pay for online now is because xbox owners were more than happy to do it.
    Thankfully history didn't repeat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

That's marketing guff. Marketers don't know their ar$es from their elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Sony originally posted on their site that Watch_Dogs was a 1080p/60fps game. It was removed a few days later and then Ubisoft announced the real figures.

TBH after the graphical downgrade WD got a few months back, I assumed 1080p/60fps was what they were now aiming for. My enthusiasm for the game has now dropped considerably as it seems it can't even hit ACIV's figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I remember at the first reveal of the PS4 Sony stated that it would follow the exact same system as the PS3 did, in that developers were allowed to do what they wanted with their games, no used games or not (like network passes on used games).

I never understood this talk of Sony was going to do the same thing as MS until the backlash when they openly said they wouldn't and the system would be the same as it always was.

But had there been no backlash (in another universe) I don't doubt they would've incorporated it in eventually too. The only reason why you pay for online now is because xbox owners were more than happy to do it.
    Thankfully history didn't repeat itself

I don't think I use the term "happy" when I have to pay for a gold membership :pac:, I get more from it these days but when you consider what PSN was like for a long time there would have been more than a few people willing to cough up the same amount for the same quality of service, i know I would have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Otacon wrote: »
    My enthusiasm for the game has now dropped considerably as it seems it can't even hit ACIV's figures.

Your enthusiasm has dropped because its not 1080p really??

Can you REALLY tell the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

miju wrote: »

Even if you can tell the difference, does it even matter if the game is still fun?

miju wrote: »

No. My enthusiasm has dropped because firstly, they have dropped the graphical quality of the game from the original reveal (what originally got me excited). I assumed this was to allow them to achieve 1080p but it turns out they just couldn't achieve what they wanted to. 1080p/30fps was possible on ACIV but not W_D?

It just seems like they overestimated what they could achieve. Disappointing TBH. I will probably still get it if the reviews are positive but my hype for the game is definitely dampened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Sony have just posted their financial results for the fiscal year.

A whopping 1.29 Billion dollar loss.

I wonder will Sony have to sell their gaming division.

What impact will this have on Sony gamers. Cant keep making losses like that and the PS4 can never sell enough units to keep Sony afloat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqvtIHFIHWE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A whopping 2.1 Billion dollar loss.

What impact will this have on Sony gamers. Cant keep making losses like that and the PS4 can never sell enough units to keep Sony afloat.

Ah actually Sony lose $1.25bn, FY14 forecast of a $490m net loss.

Game division loses $78m, forecast $200m operating profit in FY14. 17m forecast sales of PS Home consoles, 3.5m portables.

• Advertisement

Sony are not going to sell one of their best performing businesses.

They have already revealed that they are selling off their PC business. I expect TVs will go next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Xenji wrote: »
    Ah actually Sony lose $1.25bn, FY14 forecast of a $490m net loss.

Game division loses $78m, forecast $200m operating profit in FY14. 17m forecast sales of PS Home consoles, 3.5m portables.

thats still a big loss
    cant see them selling their gaming division though
    its probably the best part of the company that brings in the profits/reduces the losses

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Was surprised to see that Sony Pictures is actually turning a profit and the Vita as well.

They have already revealed that they are selling off their PC business. I expect TVs will go next.

They may not have a choice. Their PC and TV business still aren't enough to save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

A whopping 2.1 Billion dollar loss.

$1.29 billion dollar loss actually

Dont know where you got $2.1 seen as you posted the Video.

Not great news for sony as a whole though,one thing to note though is they sold there PC division and incurred extraordinary costs in that process. Presume things like writing off stock etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Microsoft will be refunding gold subscribers who only used it to access apps

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-18110-Microsoft-Will-Refund-Your-Gold-Membership-If-You-Only-Used-it-to-Access-Paid-Apps.html

Didn't see that coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Xenji wrote: »
    Was surprised to see that Sony Pictures is actually turning a profit and the Vita as well.
    The Vita is at a much more mature stage of the lifecycle than the PS4. They would have managed to improve the manufacturing process to get maximise their process and also not have to spend as much on research and development. The PS4 on the other hand is only at the beginning of that journey!

Vita is starting to take off in Japan as a PSP replacement and monster hunter clone machine. Also it's got quite the gamer audience meaning attach rate is high. The new LCD SKU is probably helping as well.

EoinHef wrote: »
    $1.29 billion dollar loss actually

Dont know where you got $2.1 seen as you posted the Video.

Not great news for sony as a whole though,one thing to note though is they sold there PC division and incurred extraordinary costs in that process. Presume things like writing off stock etc

Just a mistype. I meant to type $1.29 Billion. Its a shocking figure regardless.

• Advertisement

Shame since I really like their TVs, but they absolutely haemorrhage money there. Their PCs have been bulky and overpriced for years though, so no loss to us there. Their cameras are regarded are some of the best made, their smartphones sales are good, their entertainment sector is doing well and their playstation business is doing well.

Once they focus on these areas and trim the fat and restructure more and more, hopefully things fall into place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement