Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Does Sky Go get included in these apps no longer behind a paywall?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Davei141 wrote: »

Sky Go is not available for the Xbox One yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

If the change is happening for Xbox 360 too, then yes. It's not on Xbox One yet though.

Yeah i'm talking about the 360 sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sony have just posted their financial results for the fiscal year.

A whopping 1.29 Billion dollar loss.

I wonder will Sony have to sell their gaming division.

What impact will this have on Sony gamers. Cant keep making losses like that and the PS4 can never sell enough units to keep Sony afloat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqvtIHFIHWE

It's almost like you want Sony to fail for whatever reason..

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »

Pot. Kettle. Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

its almost like alot of people want MS to fail with all the "sony wins" been thrown around:pac: never understood why someone on either side fanboys or casuals would want another company to fail, the last thing gamers need is 1 company and 1 console. imagine all the rules in place then with no alternative

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Explain without some silly witty line. MS will never go under and everything I have being moaning about regards MS they have changed bar the graphical difference.

Does it really need explaining? You are extremely negative about everything MS, then get defensive when somebody is negative about Sony. Nobody wants any companies/consoles to fail as that will screw us all. No competition is bad news.

Does it really need explaining? You are extremely negative about everything MS, then get defensive when somebody is negative about Sony. Nobody wants any companies/consoles to fail as that will screw us all. No competition is bad news.

I was negative about the price point - MS have changed that

I was negative about the need for Kinect - Same as above

I was negative about the need for Titanfall - Seems to be correct.

I was negative about needing to pay to watch Netflix etc- Gone too

I was negative about the graphical difference between the consoles - can't be fixed

I'm always right sadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

There seems to be a complete lack of respect for gamers and at stage it appears that Microsoft have no idea what they're doing.

I agree that the backtracking these last 12 months really makes it looks like MS had no idea what they were doing, they basically seem to just look at Sony and say "we should do that". However, continuing down a road that wasn't working out only makes it even clearer that they didn't know what they were doing and refused to learn from it.
    A whopping 1.29 Billion dollar loss.

Put in context, Sony are a company with a revenue of over $72bn in 2013. A $1.29bn operating loss, while still not good, doesn't sound particularly shocking or damaging in the long run.
    We got screwed this "next gen" its all about the money. It has always been. But now there is just less VALUE for money. I kid you not. the amount of people in the pc building forum jumping ship to pc.

I don't think this is true at all. Taking inflation into account, the "value" of this generation is no worse than previous ones. Last generation had Sony launching at a ludicrous $/€600 and Microsoft were launching at $/€400. A lot of people do seem to be switching to PC, but I would say that has more to do with the fact that this generation is coinciding with a renewed interest in PC gaming anyway, especially now that things like Steam have gathered so much momentum and are getting so much positive press.
    RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I just don't get people when they say it's great to see MS is progressing and what not. The reality is they tried to milk consumers with anti consumer policies and it backfired massively. Kinect will now never reach it's full potential and an Xbox One without it loses it's only plus point over the PS4...Sony proved over the last 3 years that they will release great games right to the end of a consoles generation but MS abandoned the core gamer and pushed a load of Kinect shovelware.
    They're not listening to gamers, these changes are not because gamers don't want them but rather thatn Microsoft are being trounced by Sony. They couldn't give a damn what gamers want and if the One was doing better there would be no price drop or new Kinect less model. ..It took them almost a decade to remove the pay wall they had Netflix behind. That's not listening to gamers but much like the new model is Microsoft realising that their all in one hinge media box is a failure.
    _Redzer_ wrote: »
    It's not respect or caring about the gamer, their sales are under performing and that's been the only catalyst in changing things...So at least for me, they've a lot to prove and win back. It's pretty amazing how people forget so much in just a year.
    NTMK wrote: »
    look at the difference in the sales performance between the PS2 and PS3. It was sales that made them change not Bad PR. they banked heavily on the ps3 reaching ps2 levels and it flopped in comparison.

I'm not quite sure what I'm reading here. People seem to be treating MS like some sort of friend that betrayed them. MS are a company whose sole obligation has always been to their shareholders. The same goes for Sony and the same for Nintendo too. None of these are making consoles because they want everyone to just have so much fun, they make them to make money. So in a way, no, they don't care what you think. Nothing they do is dictated by a sense of integrity and respect for "gamers". They will do anything they can that will earn them more money. As ShadowHearth said, they would make you pay for DLC with your organs if they could make it work. They show no loyalty to any particular consumers and if you have any sense you'll do the same to them. The only reason you should buy their product is if you think the transaction is beneficial to you too.

HOWEVER there is the fact that they are operating in a free market and a large amount of their initial publicity comes from the gaming press and community. So in a way, they do care what you think too because what people think affects that bottom line. If people are not liking their product, they aren't buying it, and they don't want that. If a huge number of people have made their problem very clear, then they do the sensible thing and listen to them and I think only the least aware console buyers around managed to miss out on the Xbox One backlash. In this case, Microsoft removed second hand restrictions, region restrictions and the mandatory Kinect and they dropped the price. They didn't do that because they felt sorry for us and are really ashamed of themselves, but they did do it because "it's what gamer's want" because that is what will sell more units.

Don't hold a grudge, any of these companies are just trying to find that sweet spot where they can squeeze as much as possible from the consumer without driving them away completely. That's how they're supposed to behave. That's how anyone selling anything behaves, whether they're a multi-national corporation selling a console or some punter selling his console on Adverts.ie. Microsoft just initially overestimated what people would put up with and due to realising that people aren't as into it as hoped, they're turning things around. If you like the look of the console now and want the games on it, buy it, don't go thinking "well Microsoft didn't care about my feelings". You're a potential sale to them, nothing more, nothing less and you never will be. If it still isn't a good deal, continue voting with your wallet and don't buy it, there will be more price drops later on.

I was negative about the graphical difference between the consoles - can't be fixed

I'm always right sadly

"Need for Titanfall"? What does that even mean?

Nothing but positivity from you from now I hope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Everyone knows the WiiU will be the winner with its dazzling array of games for all tastes.
    From Mario 3D World for the adventurers, MarioKart 8 for the speed demons and New Super Mario Bros U for the rest. ;)

I figure that by this time next year I'll also have a PS4 and a XB1, the only question is which one will host the must have demanding the von sole be the one bought first.
    Perhaps the superior version of Destiny will be the deciding factor.
    Be certainly ironic if that turns out to the the PS4, being made by a former 1st party Microsoft studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I'm always right sadly
    you are always right sadly????

"Need for Titanfall"? What does that even mean?

Nothing but positivity from you from now I hope.

Thought it was obvious, not a system seller. NPD confirms this in Xbox strongest territory.

I'll be positive when they give me something to be positive about, Sunset Overdrive looks fun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I want Sony's gaming division to continue doing amazingly well.

Since the PS4 has taken off with amazing sales and with the great value of PS+ I am getting much more value from my Xbox One & Xbox Live membership.

Sony's gaming success is forcing Microsoft to adapt and change their focus which is fantastic for Xbox gamers. Sony have shown Microsoft the way and now they are moving forward.

Thought it was obvious, not a system seller. NPD confirms this in Xbox strongest territory.

I'll be positive when they give me something to be positive about, Sunset Overdrive looks fun

Titanfall is easily the funnest game I have played on either console, so whether it is a system seller or not is not a big deal. As a game it most certainly is not something to be negative about.

Sunset Overdrive & Quantum Break both look class, bring on E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I want Sony's gaming division to continue doing amazingly well.

Since the PS4 has taken off with amazing sales and with the great value of PS+ I am getting much more value from my Xbox One & Xbox Live membership.

Sony's gaming success is forcing Microsoft to adapt and change their focus which is fantastic for Xbox gamers. Sony have shown Microsoft the way and now they are moving forward.

No Microsoft are moving sideways, they havent been moving forwards since the full reveal last year, moving forwards would require not having to completely backtrack on every original key decision they made regarding the xbone

VinLieger wrote: »
    No Microsoft are moving sideways, they havent been moving forwards since the full reveal last year, moving forwards would require not having to completely backtrack on every original key decision they made regarding the xbone

Who cares, you can still get to a destination moving sideways :D

In business and life any step in the right direction is a step forward ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

VinLieger wrote: »

you complain when they have a paywall
    you complain when they remove paywall

you complain when they add kinect
    you complain when they remove kinect

you complain when they don't listen too customer's
    you complain when they listen but their "backtracking"

some people are never happy:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

People complained Windows 8 didn't have a Start button, they made Windows 8.1 with a start button after complaints.

Microsoft should change their name to "If it's not broke don't fix it" or "U turn" because that's all they are doing lately.

Its interesting that the vast majority of complaints about Microsoft's change of direction are coming from the Sony camp here.

I'd hazard a guess that a few people aren't happy that Xbox is back on its feet and ready for another round :D

Its interesting that the vast majority of complaints about Microsoft's change of direction are coming from the Sony camp here.

I'd hazard a guess that a few people aren't happy that Xbox is back on its feet and ready for another round :D

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're not making much sense. Nobody is complaining that the xbox is cheaper. Still think it's the wrong move. should be 400 with Kinect. NPD numbers tomorrow.

You sure do love talking about Sony

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Microsoft have always been a company that releases a product and modifies it based on consumer feedback after its released. There's nothing really wrong with that approach. It would be worse if they didn't react to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I don't think anyone is really complaining about their change. I'd be extremely concerned about the complete reversal of their vision for xbox and how adamant they were regarding how integral kinect and the online check in were.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're not making much sense. Nobody is complaining that the xbox is cheaper. Still think it's the wrong move. should be 400 with Kinect. NPD numbers tomorrow.

You sure do love talking about Sony

I am making perfect sense and you are validating my points :)

Okay so now you are complaining that it should be €400 with Kinect :rolleyes: Cant have it every way.

I like talking about Microsoft and Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This thread always lets ya know when there are gaps in game releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Grayditch wrote: »
    This thread always lets ya know when there are gaps in game releases.

True :D

Hopefully TLOU will be out in June

• Advertisement

I am making perfect sense and you are validating my points :)

Okay so now you are complaining that it should be €400 with Kinect :rolleyes: Cant have it every way.

I like talking about Microsoft and Sony.

Well they have removed the feature that sets it apart from the PS4 now it's just another gaming console.

Sony has a useless camera and some VR stuff for E3 whilst Xbox just has games. It's worked for Sony so far with the cheaper price point and better resolution.

I think Sony will get the hype going again with E3 since they have something other to show than games and shows the console progressing which will keep their sales strong

I'm not complaining, just think this move won't effect sales and am willing to bet money if needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement