Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

sarumite wrote: »
    No. Although I doubt I could tell the difference on a TV running at 1080p either to be honest.

I've never played games at 1080p on my TV but you could definitely tell the difference if you turn the res down to 720p on a PC monitor, to the point where just the idea of doing it would be unthinkable to most people.

In response to Super_furry though, no, you won't see a difference. If your TV is 720p then both will be running at 720p on that TV. The only difference would be framerate and minimal texture differences (last gen a lot of games looks ever so slightly better on 360).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I may have been misunderstood. If I was looking at a 900p and a 792p running on a TV/monitor that can handle both resolutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

C14N wrote: »
    I've never played games at 1080p on my TV but you could definitely tell the difference if you turn the res down to 720p on a PC monitor, to the point where just the idea of doing it would be unthinkable to most people.

But a monitor is maybe a foot and a half from your face at most so obviously a change in resolution is going to very noticeable. You're never going to be that close to a TV. Do people think really there would be a noticeable visual difference between 900 and 792 when looking at a telly? I'd have thought the fps would be more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    It's like saying there's an unnoticeable difference between 60fps and 30fps.

If you can't tell the difference you might want to get your eyes seen to.

As long as my FPS doesn't drop below 30 FPS on a pc i don't notice a difference, why is it a big deal on console to run at 60fps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I don't care all that much about resolution, hell I play mostly older games after all...I do like me some 60fps though :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh you'd notice 720p vs 1080p alright, no doubt about it, night & day difference to be honest. There's a huge difference between PS3 (which were mostly displayed in 720p) and 360 releases, even if the latter were most of the time simply upscaled from the lower res to 'full' HD. Obviously not as big a difference as 30FPS vs 60FPS, but a raw 720p image looks significantly darker and fuzzier. I'll happily put up with it if the game is good enough, but 1080p should definitely be aimed for wherever possible, although we can never forget that there's so many other ways graphics and art design can impress besides the basic tech specs :)

On the subject of a digital only future, unless we see a radical change in approach and more competitive marketplaces from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, it's in all of our best interests that it hasn't come to pass yet. I was looking for a copy of Ys: Memories of Celceta last week for the Vita. It was €39.99 on the PSN Store, and getting the US digital version is a pain in the arse even if I had a spare memory card. For the same price as the vanilla EU digital copy, I ordered a physical version from VG Plus that contained a three disc musical retrospective of the series (and given Ys has some of the best music in videogame history, that's a seriously worthwhile bonus) and other random goodies. I'm not the biggest fan of special editions, but that is incredibly good value for a physical version that has a clear edge over a digital download. Not only that, but it illustrates that shopping around can still make a major difference rather than having to rely on the one-size-fits-all digital prices.

That said, I do think - Playstation Plus aside - Sony has become far more competitive in terms of their frequent and significant sales, for PS3 and Vita releases anyway. Not quite to Steam or Humble standards, but still offering massive discounts. Microsoft is a little bit behind IMO in terms of the frequency and quality of discounts, but certainly XBL has hosted some very solid sales as well over the last few years that I've picked up a few titles at bargain prices - better again if you access the US store. The difference is that physical releases tend to be more competitive from the off and are steeply discounted quicker (especially on sites like Play Asia), whereas with digital sales you're usually waiting a while. The new release prices on the EU digital stores, however, mean it'll be a long time before a digital only future is viable for all but those able and willing to bypass regional restrictions. That and practical concerns such as uneven internet speeds and still limited HDD sizes for consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Microsoft seem to reduce titles once, maybe twice and then forget about them and leave them at full price so if you miss a sale you are boned. Sony have been a lot better in utilising older titles in their sales, the recent US flash sale with a lot of big PS1 games for $0.99 was great :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd actually say Sony have been too good at repeatedly discounting titles. I was looking through the current sales list and thought 'hey, weren't half of these just discounted a few weeks ago?!'. Which I suppose is a very nice complaint indeed to have :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I have to say, one thing I noticed recently that I'm massively thankful for is that MS have finally started listing prices in the store as opposed to the ever confusing points they were using. It's a long overdue change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ive known about the american account thing on PS4/Xbox 1 for awhile. I just have not set it up as im not happy it has to be done. The disparity in price is despicable,us europeans get screwed by MS and Sony. How can anyone in there right mind can say the dollar is the same as the euro? Especially in this age of globilisation,blatant profiteering imo

Can you buy DLC for the games that are purchased through american store? I heard no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I have to say, one thing I noticed recently that I'm massively thankful for is that MS have finally started listing prices in the store as opposed to the ever confusing points they were using. It's a long overdue change.

Wasn't that like a year ago? :pac:

But yeah, much much better than the points system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

EoinHef wrote: »
    Ive known about the american account thing on PS4/Xbox 1 for awhile. I just have not set it up as im not happy it has to be done. The disparity in price is despicable,us europeans get screwed by MS and Sony. How can anyone in there right mind can say the dollar is the same as the euro? Especially in this age of globilisation,blatant profiteering imo

Can you buy DLC for the games that are purchased through american store? I heard no

You can purchase the DLC, but it has to be from the US store.

EoinHef wrote: »

Europeans typically earn more and prices are judged based on ability to buy. There are also licensing costs that are different in the US/Europe.

Just FYI, MS have previously removed games from people and banned them from XBL when they used a region change to bypass restrictions or pricing deals.

Europeans typically earn more and prices are judged based on ability to buy. There are also licensing costs that are different in the US/Europe.

Just FYI, MS have previously removed games from people and banned them from XBL when they used a region change to bypass restrictions or pricing deals.

The average PPP (purchasing power parity) is lower for every European country except Norway compared to the US (according to the IMF).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Xenji wrote: »
    You can purchase the DLC, but it has to be from the US store.

For the Xbox One you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    It's not respect or caring about the gamer, their sales are under performing and that's been the only catalyst in changing things.

They had a paywall up for nearly a decade on apps and services that shouldn't have been there and they never offered you any extra benefits from gold, they had no plans to change that had their console been popular. It's only that they're lagging in sales significantly enough to sorry them that all of a sudden "they're all for the gamer", when really, it's a "what do we do to get them to buy the console" scramble, and they seem to be destroying their entire road map to do so, which shows they really don't have any concrete plans for the future at all.

The one benefit I hope comes of this is that they don't get into yet another halo, forza, gears cycle over and over and over again. Their games decision really stagnated the last few years and they didn't care. They were far more interested in kinect and casual players, and last year really showed they actually don't give a fúck either as money is paramount, not the experience.
    They haven't been "all for the gamer" in years.

So at least for me, they've a lot to prove and win back. It's pretty amazing how people forget so much in just a year.
    I remember reading memes about MS being the abusive boyfriend and people taking him back because he's changed, you'd still remember what he tried to do to you.

Well Rihanna obviously forgot! I wonder if she plays the Xbox One...

NTMK wrote: »
    the same can be said for sony too you have to remember they were absolute scum to customers during the ps3 era.

this kinda off crap goes on in every industry because people dont care as long as it doesnt affect them

Scum as in some of the things they said such as "Get a second job" if you can't afford the PS3 etc. But in terms of their offering they gave us free online which over the 7 years I had PS3 saved me €350 compared to my Xbox. And they released top quality games right up until last year.

I'm glad they learned from their mistakes and we haven't seen the arrogance Sony since the PS3's troubled launch. Coming off the PS2 domination they at least had a little reason to be but I just can't for the life of me get Microsoft being the way they have when they lost to the Wii last gen and narrowly to the PS3.

The average PPP (purchasing power parity) is lower for every European country except Norway compared to the US (according to the IMF).

This hasn't been the case for decades, if it ever was.

Things are definitely heating up.

Watch Dogs has been announced as 900p at 30 FPS on PS4. Ouch....
    I thought the PS4 could easily hit 1080p at 60FPS. Sony announced Watch Dogs only days ago as being 1080p at 60 FPS :o

It's becoming obvious that the PS4 is not as far ahead as people think in terms of ability. In a recent comparison video for Trials Fusion the Xbox One version looked better at 720p than the PS4's version at 1080p.

Sony seem to want every game to run at 1080p even if it sacrifices some graphical quality.

We are only a few months into a console generation and things are becoming very interesting :cool:

You're trying to hard. It is well documented the PS4 is the more powerful console despite being cheaper since launch. As you can see Watch Dogs PS4 is the better version graphically. It's only the start of this generation and most PS4 games are hitting 1080p. It's not Sony's fault Ubisoft's developer couldn't reach the graphical fidelity of a title like infamous. But on the sequel I'm sure they will!

Xbox one the other hand is relying on some sofware upgrade at the end of next year ro improve performance. ANd don't be a fool and think Sony won't be working on the exact same thing. The graphical gap will always remain.

Sony have just posted their financial results for the fiscal year.

A whopping 1.29 Billion dollar loss.

I wonder will Sony have to sell their gaming division.

What impact will this have on Sony gamers. Cant keep making losses like that and the PS4 can never sell enough units to keep Sony afloat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqvtIHFIHWE

It's hard to take you seriously with statements like that!

The loses stem from their PC and TV division which will be spun off and likely sold. The problem is strict Japanese employment laws make this very expensive and hard to do. It will be Fiscal year 2016 before Sony has those 2 divisions gone and their reporrts are showing profits again. Overall they are fine but will be a much smaller company in 3 years than they were 5 years ago.

Just so you know gaming is not their only division that is doing very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

For the Xbox One you can.

Same with the PS3/4.

RasTa wrote: »
    It's almost like you want Sony to fail for whatever reason..

I've just read through the last 10 pages and I'm pretty sure he does. If boards wasn't so strict ad well moderated I'd imagine he wouldn't even try to thinly veil what he's really doing here!!

Davei141 wrote: »
    Does it really need explaining? You are extremely negative about everything MS, then get defensive when somebody is negative about Sony. Nobody wants any companies/consoles to fail as that will screw us all. No competition is bad news.

Considering Microsoft have done a 180 on all their "integral" policies since the XB1 launch I'd say he had everyone reason to be negative about them.

Personally I want a company with such anti consumer policies to fail and my current console is the PS4 so I want it to succeed to ensure the best experience for me.

I do however want great competition to keep everyone on their toes it's just a pity it's not Nintendo vs Sony instead of MS vs Sony. (All IMO of course!)

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I've just read through the last 10 pages and I'm pretty sure he does. If boards wasn't so strict ad well moderated I'd imagine he wouldn't even try to thinly veil what he's really doing here!!

Well, you may have missed a post. If Sony does well I as an Xbox gamer does well. Simple logic.
    I want Sony's gaming division to continue doing amazingly well.

Since the PS4 has taken off with amazing sales and with the great value of PS+ I am getting much more value from my Xbox One & Xbox Live membership.

Sony's gaming success is forcing Microsoft to adapt and change their focus which is fantastic for Xbox gamers. Sony have shown Microsoft the way and now they are moving forward.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I honestly think Microsoft were one generation too early with their digital policy. I expect to see a shift to that kind of service slowly during this generation and it becoming the norm for the next. I'm really not happy with that but I feel it's inevitable.

For all the people championing PS Plus, it's probably doing more to damage game ownership than anything MS proposed. However I have to admire it as a far more successful trojan horse for Sony's digital policies than Microsofts more forceful approach.

Hopefully the majority of consumers voting with their feet and choosing the PS4 over the Xbox One will slow this process down somewhat.
    No. Although I doubt I could tell the difference on a TV running at 1080p either to be honest.

I've a 1080P full HD 55" and I can tell the difference easily. Doesn't matter too much as the fun factor is the real issue with games. But it's a nice bonus and adds to the gaming experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Does that take into account taxes and current exchange rates? I mean they pay very low income tax in the US compared to most European countries so they have more in the pocket to bring home but they also have to spend far more on basic services like TV, internet, health care and college. Not to mention that their dollars don't work out very well against our Euro at the moment, and the Euro works out worse again compared to the Pound right now.

Well, you may have missed a post. If Sony does well I as an Xbox gamer does well. Simple logic.

For such a logical man would you not just buy the cheaper, more powerful and better console to begin with?

Instead you buy a more expensive weaker console, whose manufacturer abandoned the core gamer for the last 3 years of it's predecessors life.

I bought a 360 and had great fun at the beginning but won't be going there again.

Fool me once, etc etc etc....

It's hard to take you seriously with statements like that!

The loses stem from their PC and TV division which will be spun off and likely sold. The problem is strict Japanese employment laws make this very expensive and hard to do. It will be Fiscal year 2016 before Sony has those 2 divisions gone and their reporrts are showing profits again. Overall they are fine but will be a much smaller company in 3 years than they were 5 years ago.

Just so you know gaming is not their only division that is doing very well.

It really doesn't matter how well the Sony's gaming division does. Can a rowing boat raise the Titanic. Sony will need to work hard in other areas to succeed. They are doing an amazing job in the Gaming division but unfortunately thats not enough to save Sony.

Who is actually going to buy Sony's failing business divisions. You can bet they wont be buying it for anything substantial.

For such a logical man would you not just buy the cheaper, more powerful and better console to begin with?

You mean buy a pc?

People often buy the console their friends have so they can game together, or the one that has a title they want.

• Advertisement

This hasn't been the case for decades, if it ever was.
    I havent seen any data on PPP for the last few decades, however it is the case now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement