Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

You mean buy a pc?

People often buy the console their friends have so they can game together, or the one that has a title they want.

LOL I already have a PC. Apart from playing the likes of Age of Mythology I don't use it for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

sarumite wrote: »
    I havent seen any data on PPP for the last few decades, however it is the case now.

If it was then the games and consoles would be cheaper. Europeans have more disposable income and are prepared to pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    LOL I already have a PC. Apart from playing the likes of Age of Mythology I don't use it for gaming.

You talk about logic and buying the cheaper more powerful device. Price and performance aren't the only factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

If it was then the games and consoles would be cheaper. Europeans have more disposable income and are prepared to pay more.

On average the US has a higher PPP than most European nations (and all EU nations). You could argue over whether we are prepared to pay more or given few options other than pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

For such a logical man would you not just buy the cheaper, more powerful and better console to begin with?

Instead you buy a more expensive weaker console, whose manufacturer abandoned the core gamer for the last 3 years of it's predecessors life.

I bought a 360 and had great fun at the beginning but won't be going there again.

Fool me once, etc etc etc....

I bought it for Xbox's servers. When they talked about cloud tech I knew that meant one thing. Servers based locally to players. I talked to a friend in MS and found out they were going to be using Microsoft's Azure servers right here in Dublin for multiplayer games such as Titanfall.

I am a multiplayer gamer and what frustrates me over the last few years as been the poor quality servers and no dedicated servers at all in some MP games. When MS offered these servers for free to developers I knew it was the best purchase for me.

Also Microsoft has serious money to invest in securing console exclusives such as Titanfall.

I find as a casual gamer the Xbox One offers a more superior experience.

As we see with Watch Dogs, the Xbox One is not as far behind as people think. I was very surprised that Watch Dogs can't do 1080p on PS4. I think if most people are interested in 1080p resolution and more they should get a PC instead of a PS4 and Xbox One.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I bought it for Xbox's servers. When they talked about cloud tech I knew that meant one thing. Servers based locally to players. I talked to a friend in MS and found out they were going to be using Microsoft's Azure servers right here in Dublin for multiplayer games such as Titanfall.

I am a multiplayer gamer and what frustrates me over the last few years as been the poor quality servers and no dedicated servers at all in some MP games. When MS offered these servers for free to developers I knew it was the best purchase for me.

Also Microsoft has serious money to invest in securing console exclusives such as Titanfall.

As we see with Watch Dogs, the Xbox One is not as far behind as people think. I was very surprised that Watch Dogs can't do 1080p on PS4. I think if most people are interested in 1080p resolution and more they should get a PC instead of a PS4 and Xbox One.

I brought this up before with you. If MS rent out their servers to the likes of EA, playstation users will be getting the benefit too, because you can't spit up the servers just for two consoles, it's messy and inefficient. So if 3rd parties decide to use them the likes of me will get the benefit too.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I brought this up before with you. If MS rent out their servers to the likes of EA, playstation users will be getting the benefit too, because you can't spit up the servers just for two consoles, it's messy and inefficient. So if 3rd parties decide to use them the likes of me will get the benefit too.

The service is that runs on Azure is Xbox live compute. Its exclusive to Xbox One.

Of course you can use different servers for two consoles :confused:

The service is that runs on Azure is Xbox live compute. Its exclusive to Xbox One.

It is specifically stated that only xbox live users can use their servers, even if they're being rented by a third party?

Ok, I just thought you could rent out servers for any game.
    It seems like bad business practise to limit who can use your servers based on them being live users.

And it doesn't make sense for a 3rd party to split its servers. EA in America isn't going to care enough to split the servers up for both consoles. It's just impractical and inefficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

If the division of Microsoft that runs Azure gets offered money to host Playstation servers they're going to accept it. The rivalry between the two consoles isn't going to stop a separate division of Microsoft from earning money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

It's more efficient for 3rd party publishers to use the same back end servers for cross platform games.
    Why write back end code twice?
    Most 3rd party publishers already have their own server infrastructure anyway.

Ping times using azure is nice and quick for us here in Dublin (I was getting 15ms ping playing Titanfall on PC), but I get 30 to 40ms ping from servers in London.
    That's not that great a benefit considering your running on the lesser hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

lads any reasons for/against getting ps4?

I have a mate working in a shop who can get me the bare console package for €360.

I know there isn't many games out for it yet, and I was annoyed that you can't play media from usb.

I already have fifa and cod for ps3.

If I got it i'd probably just pick up killzone second hand and buy ufc ea when it comes out next month and maybe last of us remastered edition as I've never played the original.

Tbh, I don't play my ps3 an awful amount - outside of COD, Fifa and GTA the machine doesn't get much action.

Any advice?
    do most of you find you get your value out of it? I'd be worried the thing might just be sitting there, maybe I'm only thinking of buying it cause I'm getting a good price on it. I don't think there's any games I'm overtly mad to be buying for it, i'd get nba and madden but would rather wait the two months to buy the new versions. And I'd get EA UFC when it comes out.
    not sure what to do.

The alternative is just buy infamous and ufc for ps3 and hold onto the cash and maybe pick it up when better games come out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Wait and see what happens at E3 on June 9th. Loads of news will be announced then. I'd hold of getting any console between now and E3 tbh.

You talk about logic and buying the cheaper more powerful device. Price and performance aren't the only factors.

Yeah I factored in the fact 99% of multi-platform games perform better on it over the alternative console.

I also factored in that sony kept on pumping out great exclusives right till the end of the PS3's life cycle.

I also factored in that PS Plus gives me much better value and better games. And the one subscription covers 3 platforms so even better.

Then I factored in that all my gaming friends were getting a PS4 as well even the ones that I played with on 360.

Last gen my friends were split now we're all together. Easy choice really.

After the game being delayed and downgraded on all platforms including the Wii U being put back a year I'm not surprised. The development teams are clearly not the best and you won't see a 1080p game from them until their next release on PS4. Ifamous proved it's easily possible and it's graphics are streets ahead of watch dogs.

MS may have the money to buy exclusives hear and there but Titanfall going to Xbox backfired big time for EA. I'd expect the best version of Titanfall 2 on PS4 but even so I won't be getting it. Not my type of game.

However Sony have way more and very talented studios to make exclusives of their own. As you seen on the Xbox 360 once Microsoft had their foothold in the market those big money exclusives stopped and Sony's just kept on rolling.

Anyway Sony's servers are great for Multiplayer games. I've played Titanfall and didn't notice anything special.

lads any reasons for/against getting ps4?

Tbh, I don't play my ps3 an awful amount - outside of COD, Fifa and GTA the machine doesn't get much action.

I'd recommend you try some other types of games. I used to be addicted to cod like Cod4, MW3, BO and MW3 but I soon discovered there are so many other great games!

Ayway you can play the best version of Fifa and COD on your PS4 and GTA 5 PS4 will likely release this summer/autumn.

Also if you don't play your PS3 a lot and you just get the same games for PS4 after a year or two you will not be playing the ps4 that much either.

Another thing is your friends. Have they moved over to PS4? If yes then why not come over and join them! If not then you might as well wait IMO.

PS. Watch Soy's E3 show in about 25 days. That will give you a good idea of what's on the way for the PS4 and if it's for you.

I fail to see how the X1 is the better machine for the casual user. Up until a few days ago the PS4 was cheaper, it will run all games better, and it can do pretty much all the media stuff the X1 can. If sky go is your thing, and I remember it was a massive deal to people a year ago, then it has that over the X1 too.

I honestly don't see how it is the superior machine in that sense. It doesn't have any big feature that would appeal to a casual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

MS may have the money to buy exclusives hear and there but Titanfall going to Xbox backfired big time for EA.

How has it backfired on EA? The game has been a big success from everything I have read online. EA probably made a significant amount of money off the exclusive deal, likely offsetting any missed revenue on the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It will be interesting to see if Titanfall has edged out CoD as being the best selling Xbox One game or has it reached a plateau when the NPD figures come at 21.00 GMT.

You have a lot of sweeping statements.
    Up until a few days ago the PS4 was cheaper
    Well it ain't any more....
    and it can do pretty much all the media stuff the X1 can
    Eh, no It doesn't.
    it will run all games better
    Eh no. It doesn't. It runs some games at a slightly better resolution.

It runs the majority of games better, both performance wise and resolution wise.

• Advertisement

It runs the majority of games better, both performance wise and resolution wise.

I am aware of cross platform games that have better resolution but I haven't heard they perform better on PS4.

Any links to info that show higher performance on PS4 other than just better resolution of cross platform games?

I am aware of cross platform games that have better resolution but I haven't heard they perform better on PS4.

Any links to info that show higher performance on PS4 other than just better resolution of cross platform games?

Look through any of these that refer to cross platform games.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/?type=face-off

Look through any of these that refer to cross platform games.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/?type=face-off

As far as I see having played cross platform titles since launch on XB1 and PS4 the only difference is resolution on some games.

Here is a list of games that are 1080p on both XB1 and PS4.
    Some are released and others are upcoming games.

FIFA 14
    EA Sports UFC
    Need for Speed Rivals
    The Crew
    Wolfenstein: The New Order
    Alien: Isolation
    Murdered: Soul Suspect
    NBA 2K14
    Dying Light

A recent comparison of Trials Fusion on both xbox one and ps4 showed the Xbox version looked graphically better even though it has a lower native resolution than the PS4.

The gap is closing fast. With PS4 incapable of 1080p on Watch dogs that tells me that Xbox is catching up very quickly.

As far as I see having played cross platform titles since launch on XB1 and PS4 the only difference is resolution on some games.

FIFA 14
    EA Sports UFC
    Need for Speed Rivals
    The Crew
    NBA 2K14
    Dying Light

A recent comparison of Trials Fusion on both xbox one and ps4 showed the Xbox version looked graphically better even though it has a lower native resolution than the PS4.

The gap is closing fast. With PS4 incapable of 1080p on Watch dogs that tells me that Xbox is catching up very quickly.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to post that list. I didn't question Xbox's presence of 1080p games.

Not sure where you heard that Trials thing, DigitalFoundry's Faceoff says the opposite of you, and I think I trust them just a little more.

And I think you're fooling nobody but yourself if you think the gap is closing fast going off the basis of a single game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

FIFA 14
    EA Sports UFC
    Need for Speed Rivals
    The Crew
    NBA 2K14
    Dying Light

You should become a politician, that was some nice dodging on your part :P

Well it ain't any more....

Eh, no It doesn't.

What media things does the xbox do that a casual will have more interest in? HDMI input, but you can just switch the channel on your TV.

They both have loads of streaming apps, and the PS4 has sky go, which was a big thing xbox users went on about. I've no interest in it myself, but I guess it's handy.

I'm still not seeing how it's more favourable for a casual.

FIFA 14
    EA Sports UFC
    Need for Speed Rivals
    The Crew
    NBA 2K14
    Dying Light

I've read of a few games where the frame rate was better for the PS4. Tomb raider was one.

The PS4 will be optimised just as much as the X1 will. It's not like it's going to sit around stationary when the X1 gets optimised.

The gap will always be there. Optimisation cannot bridge a hardware performance gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

A recent comparison of Trials Fusion on both xbox one and ps4 showed the Xbox version looked graphically better even though it has a lower native
    According to Digital foundry in terms of Trials Fusion. (The four being: PC, PS4, XBone, XB360

"PC is the best of the four, then, with PS4 coming closest to matching it, but from a gameplay perspective you can't go too far wrong with any of them.:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

With PS4 incapable of 1080p on Watch dogs that tells me that Xbox is catching up very quickly.

The PS4 can run games at 1080p, so it looks to me as though ubisoft are the ones incapable of getting Watch Dogs to run at 1080p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Got a source for that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement