Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

When i score a 40 yard banana kick in FIFA i dont want to be messing around with replays, all i have to say is 'xbox record that' and it's done. Again i mention boogie2988 a guy who hated the very idea of the kinect coming with the X1 who has done a total 180 and admitted he was wrong.

So yeah. Voice command. Where does Kinect comes in? Like I said, simple cheap mic and would have done same? same way as you shout out - record that, you can press button on ps4 controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Would like to see more of these.

http://www.pcgames.de/PlayStation-4-...video-1098699/

PS4: 1.31 min
    Xbox: 5:28 min

Complete install

PS4: 8:28 min
    Xbox: 12:20 min

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Does the Xbox do anything with SkyTv ar UPC?

Heard a few people complaining about voice commands controlling TV stations but not sure if its just the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Now before I say this - I want to get xbox one and I will get it someday next year too.

Kinect is the last reason I want Xbox One. So far, it looks like the only good about Kinect is Voice commands, which dont even work correct. I am not going to even mention that in 90% of the time it is faster and makes more sense to use a lump of Plastic in your hand already. Same thing could be done by putting in some cheap mic. Reading the codes is handy, but lets be honest, how often do you redeem codes...

So far, it looks like the xbox one fans trying to see a "good" in kinect, when in reality nobody who wants to play games even need the damn thing. Its like convincing yourself that it is good.... you needed one... you could not imagine your life without one...

I wont call Kinect a gimmick, but Kinect is going to be the last thing I bother with. I dont even thing it will manage to understand me with Eastern Europoen/Cork accent at this stage. :pac:
    Completely agree on voice commands. They're a load of crap and we know they won't work. They're crap on the iphone, they're crap on the samsung galaxy and they'll be crap on the xbox and ps3.
    And even if they worked, a click of a button is easier, and you know for sure it's going to work and do exactly what you want it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I have been incredibly impressed by the voice commands on the Xbox One, and while I was looking forward to checking it out, to be honest, it's blown me away with how accurate it is.

I'm looking forward to what developers come up with Kinect, I think that in a few years, we're all going to be very surprised by it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The contrasts of the 2 posts above this bring the lols

The One's voice commands are bloody wonderful. They DO work and they work very well... but that would've been accomplished by putting a mic in the controller instead of adding $100 hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The one review I watched said it's great when it works. But doesn't work all the time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y51zatx9qs
    If it doesn't work all the time, and a click of the button is quicker, or a second or 2 longer, I'd just abandoned the voice control.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Cienciano wrote: »
    Completely agree on voice commands. They're a load of crap and we know they won't work. They're crap on the iphone, they're crap on the samsung galaxy and they'll be crap on the xbox and ps3.
    This is especially the case where the only reviewer that matters is ourselves. I haven't tried it yet, but on voice control in stuff I have tried, I haven't been impressed yet. I'm looking to give it a chance though.
    And even if they worked, a click of a button is easier, and you know for sure it's going to work and do exactly what you want it.
    COYVB wrote: »
    The One's voice commands are bloody wonderful. They DO work and they work very well... but that would've been accomplished by putting a mic in the controller instead of adding $100 hardware
    I haven't used the One yet, but from what I'm seeing of the menu, the voice seems to save a lot more than just a second here or there. It is a lot faster to say where you want it to go than the scrolling.

Try think if it were to be used on a PC instead, to say "Control Panel" and it'd open up. Or "Network Connections" rather than having to go through menus. That's handy stuff. I'm pretty sure if the voice is up to snuff then it is going to make things a lot quicker.

As for the comment about why not a mic, etc... Well, with the camera there is already the thing of scanning codes a lot faster than we used to have before. I'm hoping the gameplay applications turn out to be good. The D4 preview was impressed by it. And, yes, it is a minor part of the game, COYVB I think you pointed it out last time I said it, but I'll be interested in hearing what people who are playing Dead Rising 3 think of the minor kinect integration. It is just about adding immersion in little ways. I think there is *promise* there. I await to see if the promise is met. Often, I'd be cynical too. Here, though I'm not even really cynical or positive, I guess I'm more neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It's very easy to tell who hasn't used the Kinect 2 in this thread. They assume we are shouting at it, talking unnaturally and that it doesn't work. They want you to believe that we are in some kind of a fanboy delusion where we simply want to see the good side of Kinect. :D

It works great, full stop.

I'll guess I'll assume that the PS4 touchpad doesn't work before I get a chance to try it myself... Gimmicky ole yoke lol and if PS4 owners say it works, well I'll assume they are delusional lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

whats your impressions of xbox ones and ps4s so far lads ad ladies?

is there a big step up in graphics and gameplay from ps3 and xbox 360?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Try think if it were to be used on a PC instead, to say "control panel" and it'd open up. Or "Network Connections" rather than having to go through menus. That's handy stuff. I'm pretty sure if the voice is up to snuff then it is going to make things a lot quicker.

Just for the record, you can already do that on PC. I played around with it, it has its uses and it's pretty accurate (gets better the more you use it) but KB/M navigation is still better for almost everything most of the time.
    Also, it's still faster to just type "<insert windows menu>" in the search box at the bottom of the windows OS start button. Anyone who goes through the default menus of an OS over and over needs a little guide in navigation shortcuts. Whenever I need device manager I type "device manager". Hell I find it faster to just type "calc.exe" whenever I need the windows calculator instead of navigating the menus.

The XBONE isn't ahead of computer navigation by any stretch.

In a slightly unrelated note... the privacy issues you have with a system that is watching and listening for human speech in your entire living room while being constantly online even when it's turned off is just too much for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It works great, full stop.

Quite a few of the reviews say it doesn't work as well as it should either, and i'm pretty sure they have tried it.

I hope it works well, as it would be handy for things like running Netflix and the like. I doubt i'll use it too much whenever i get one though, and as before i still hope they don't force it into every single game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

xbox one has better launch games imo and has titanfall coming soon, ill pick up a ps4 when a few good exclusive games comes out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The PS4 touchpad could have fantastic uses if the developers use it. It's a touchpad, it doesn't take a genius to think of some cool uses for it.

Wow wow wow... The FECK?! So I did not mind the idea of tokens and no reward cars in Forza, but on top of that there are Day one Car packs?! Which are like 50 quid?! :eek: A lot of those cars are quite popular and wanted too. Sorry, but this is really bull**** and the worse Day one DLC bull**** I sow so far!

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/efxmz3/forza-motorsport-5-review

Meh. Just don't buy the DLC

Forza is 70 quid in some places and missing a lot of things people should be getting, according to most reviews and opinions. It's sort of left a sour taste, with a lot of people which is a shame, because it looks incredible.

the 70 quid one is the limited edition no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Grayditch wrote: »
    Forza is 70 quid in some places and missing a lot of things people should be getting, according to most reviews and opinions. It's sort of left a sour taste, with a lot of people which is a shame, because it looks incredible.

The biggest problem with Forza for me was boredom setting in. Sometimes it seemed a bit of a grind, same few tracks. Forza 4 was a step in the right direction to make it interesting. But now the grind is far greater and can only be avoided with payments. All that development money and they've only made 2 new tracks! Compare this to GTA 5 which has huge amount of content.

Meh. Just don't buy the DLC

Really, that's is stupid and completely missing the point? Its a fecking racing sim with popular cars hidden behind pay wall after you already played 65-70eu? Its not some skyrim or fallout, where you can just ignore if story is ****.

• Advertisement

Really, that's is stupid and completely missing the point? Its a fecking racing sim with popular cars hidden behind pay wall after you already played 65-70eu? Its not some skyrim or fallout, where you can just ignore if story is ****.

Again, don't buy the DLC. Nobody is forcing you to. If it's not included in the out of the box product, consider it not there at all. Don't buy it. Don't pay for any DLC. You'd be surprised how quickly companies would stop offering it if everyone stopped being idiots and paying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Again, don't buy the DLC. Nobody is forcing you to. If it's not included in the out of the box product, consider it not there at all. Don't buy it. Don't pay for any DLC. You'd be surprised how quickly companies would stop offering it if everyone stopped being idiots and paying for it

It's extremely unfair to label anyone who buys DLC an idiot. Some DLC can be fantastic, and be great value for money.

I don't even want to buy console itself after this, as forza was the only game I wanted. It would mean that to fully enjoy game I would need to spend over 100eu just to be able to get cars I want. Plus it already puts a bad taste in my mouth. If thats just launch games I am scared to thing about later games.

Let's hope GT6 is better then that.

Penn wrote: »
    It's extremely unfair to label anyone who buys DLC an idiot. Some DLC can be fantastic, and be great value for money.

Some, but most is not. DLC exists because there is a market for it, and there's far more awful DLC than there is good stuff. A blanket boycott of it would see companies rethinking their approach in short order. It'll never happen though, because people seem content enough to complain about DLC one minute, and buy it the next.

I've never bought DLC, and I never will. I'm missing out on some great additions for sure, but IMO you either buy into the DLC mentality or you don't - there's no half way point

It would mean that to fully enjoy game I would need to spend over 100eu just to be able to get cars I want

Don't think of DLC as part of the game - that's the mistake you're making. You're basically saying that the game itself doesn't have the cars you want or enough of them or whatever. That's fine. In that case, you simply don't buy the game. It doesn't have what you want in it, so don't consider it for a purchase.

Taking the other approach, where you're saying the same thing, that it doesn't have what you want, but still buying it, and then spending a load of money on DLC, is nonsensical. If the packaged game does not contain the things you need from your game, then the game is not for you.

A shame, yes, but fuelling the DLC market is not a good thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

It comes down to value. If the DLC is good value like the new XCOM expansion, go for it. If the original game is divided up into the launch title and DLC before it's even published it's a con.

It comes down to value. If the DLC is good value like the new XCOM expansion, go for it. If the original game is divided up into the launch title and DLC before it's even published it's a con.

Value is a very subjective thing though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

To a certain degree it is subjective, but I think everyone will agree reasonably priced, well designed and plentiful content is good value. Horse armour is taking the piss.

"Don't buy it" is fair enough, but people are entitled to complain about this nasty practice sneaking into games.

I suppose it should be noted that the game was free for a lot of people, so that would have hit profits, surely. I don't know how MS have worked it out.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    "Don't buy it" is fair enough, but people are entitled to complain about this nasty practice sneaking into games.

I suppose it should be noted that the game was free for a lot of people, so that would have hot sales, surely. I don't know how MS have worked it out.

The best way to complain and be heard is not to spend your money

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement