Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Also, digital foundry found that Need for speed was better on the PS4 than Xbone.

As an example of their comparison

"or a quick recap, both next-gen versions produce stunning 1920x1080 native images with perceptibly identical lighting, textures and geometry across the board. This remains the case for the final release here too, though the PS4 retains its stronghold in the effects category. While shadows aren't filtered to the same quality as the PC version on ultra settings, Sony's platform matches it with a refined bokeh depth-of-field effect that goes entirely missing on Xbox One - where it appears as a more simple blur filter instead."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    If sky go is your thing, and I remember it was a massive deal to people a year ago, then it has that over the X1 too.

Couldn't believe when I read Sky Go was coming to PS4 before the xbone. It was exclusive to 360 last gen, and with the xbone being an AIO type box I thought they already had sky go on there. MS should have wrapped that deal up a long time ago since Sony already has the console sales advantage over them in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

What media things does the xbox do that a casual will have more interest in? HDMI input, but you can just switch the channel on your TV.
    I can input PC, media players and even a PS4 (Which actually works great).

Switching between other activities and the HDMI input is lighting fast. My regular activity is watching my Apple TV or my TV channels while I am in a lobby or while I am gaming.

I can workout in the morning on my treadmill while viewing the awesome YouTube app which I have paired to my iphone.

The Twitch app on Xbox One is brilliant and has no restrictions. Its the full Twitch experience.
    They both have loads of streaming apps, and the PS4 has sky go, which was a big thing xbox users went on about. I've no interest in it myself, but I guess it's handy.

I'm still not seeing how it's more favourable for a casual.

PS4 still does not have a YouTube app and the Twitch is quite restrictive.

It's great for PS4 that they have Sky Go. I have an Xbox 360 so that connects into my Xbox One HDMI input and allows me to use Sky Go from my Xbox One :D

F1ngers wrote: »
    The PS4 can run games at 1080p, so it looks to me as though ubisoft are the ones incapable of getting Watch Dogs to run at 1080p.

I never stated the PS4 can't run games at 1080p :confused:

Ubisoft can't get Watch Dogs to 1080p on PS4 and I think that says a lot. We are talking about a AAA game that has been delayed for months. I was really expecting it to be 1080p at 60FPS on PS4 so it was a big shock to see that its not capable on PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

This is the same source that says the PS4 version is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I can input PC, media players and even a PS4 (Which actually works great).

Switching between other activities and the HDMI input is lighting fast. My regular activity is watching my Apple TV or my TV channels while I am in a lobby or while I am gaming.

I can workout in the morning on my treadmill while viewing the awesome YouTube app which I have paired to my iphone.

The Twitch app on Xbox One is brilliant and has no restrictions. Its the full Twitch experience.

PS4 still does not have a YouTube app and the Twitch is quite restrictive.

It's great for PS4 that they have Sky Go. I have an Xbox 360 so that connects into my Xbox One HDMI input and allows me to use Sky Go from my Xbox One :D

But I can still just switch the channel to another HDMI input.

And you get youtube through the browser.

As far as apps go, I don't even use it for that, I use my phone and tablet for that stuff. I actually watch Netflix off my smart TV because it's unnecessary to boot it up just for that.

I'm a gamer, so if I don't even use twitch or youtube on my PS4, why would a casual?

I'm still not seeing how it's better for the casual when a console is all about the games. And if apps are your thing, there are a multitude of cheap dongles and accessories out there that will do it all.

This is the same source that says the PS4 version is better.

Yes. However as you can see the Xbox One version looks slightly better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I never stated the PS4 can't run games at 1080p :confused:

I never said you did. :confused:
    Ubisoft can't get Watch Dogs to 1080p on PS4 and I think that says a lot. We are talking about a AAA game that has been delayed for months. I was really expecting it to be 1080p at 60FPS on PS4 so it was a big shock to see that its not capable on PS4.

It does say a lot about ubisoft alright, I agree with you there.

That's a compressed youtube video.

I think I will trust the company when they say that the PS4 has an edge.

Not that I care really. Any difference in games is minimal and I couldn't give a fcuk to be totally honest :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

You shouldn't use a Youtube video for actual comparisons.
    They horrible compress there video.

It does say a lot about ubisoft alright, I agree with you there.

Its says quite a bit about PS4 also. Its a AAA title so its an interesting bench mark to see where Xb1 is and PS4 at the moment.

No I can't, my internet is too slow to load anything above 360p, and besides that youtube videos are compressed so it's not something you should use to judge.

I think in a lot of those comparisons where the differences are minimal people tend to imagine differences and convince themselves that their preferred version is the better one. Especially when judging from youtube videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Loads more noticeable jagged edges on the Xbox version there, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No I can't, my internet is too slow to load anything above 360p, and besides that youtube videos are compressed so it's not something you should use to judge.

I think in a lot of those comparisons where the differences are minimal people tend to imagine differences and convince themselves that their preferred version is the better one. Especially when judging from youtube videos.

I don't think Failsafe is imagining anything when it comes to the video. He's completely unbiased between the 2 and definitely doesn't invent anything to support his evergoing argument towards the xbone :pac:

I am only posting the Youtube video here because that's all I can post.

I have played it on both PS4 and Xbox One and while the difference was tiny I thought it looked slightly better on XB1. The colours looked a little more washed on the PS4. From reading comments and posts online many people have said the same.

I am only posting the Youtube video here because that's all I can post.

You could post the professional analysis in which that video was taken from..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

From reading comments and posts online many people have said the same.

How many FAILSAFES' are there? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The colours looked a little more washed on the PS4. From reading comments and posts online many people have said the same.

sherlock-watson-laughing.gif

All i see are jaggies in the XBone Trials video.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-trials-fusion-face-off

How many FAILSAFES' are there? :P

Not sure they keep fanboy statistics unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I feel sorry for Ubisoft devs, a lot of people seem to have this expectation despite the fact that it is a big ask for such a large game this early into the console's lifecycle.

You could post the professional analysis in which that video was taken from..

Thats the problem. Professional analysis by the likes of Digital foundry are a load of bollox . They have to go into crazy detail frame by frame to point out slight differences in the varies platforms that most of us completely miss as we enjoy a game.

I go by what my eyes tell me and then look to see what others are saying.

By 'others' you mean only people who agree with you? Plenty of others in this thread saying the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Thats the problem. Professional analysis by the likes of Digital foundry are a load of bollox . They have to go into crazy detail frame by frame to point out slight differences in the varies platforms that most of us completely miss as we enjoy a game.

But thats how you do an actual comparison..
    You can't just post a compressed YT vid and say that the X1 looks better and then completely ignore actual comparison articles.

By others you mean only people who agree with you?

I just read comments and posts across forums and YouTube. I was just surprised initially because I knew the resolution of the PS4 was much bigger.

Lads we all know the PS4 is more powerful however I have pointed out that the resolution gap is narrowing very fast. It's getting quite tough to tell some of games apart in comparison and I don't mean using a microscope.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The Xbox always seems to have a higher colour contrast, but I don't really mind that, it can make things pop better in a some cases, but I see this a lot...

Az23rN9.jpg

I don't like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I just read comments and posts across forums and YouTube. I was just surprised initially because I knew the resolution of the PS4 was much bigger.

Lads we all know the PS4 is more powerful however I have pointed out that the resolution gap is narrowing very fast. It's getting quite tough to tell some of games apart in comparison and I don't mean using a microscope.

The gap with always be there. If it's not resolution, it's better effects and/or a more stable fps.

You can't make a gap disappear, especially if the PS4 is getting optimised just as quickly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

The gap with always be there. If it's not resolution, it's better effects and/or a more stable fps.

You can't make a gap disappear, especially if the PS4 is getting optimised just as quickly as well.

The xbone has dropped the Kinect which will free up 10% of the processing power for games. This will help close the gap even more.

Of course you can make a gap disappear. The XB1 is getting optimised at a much faster pace than PS4 at the moment. I am sure the PS4 will always have a slight edge but that's all it will have.

In the end its going to come down to which console secures the best games. Resolution does not matter if your competitor does not have a very popular game. This is what E3 should be about this year for both companies. Games, games, games.

• Advertisement

How are you measuring this gap that is narrowing quickly? There is two sub 1080p games on PS4. Whereas the majority of Xbox games being released are still sub 1080p games,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement