Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

How are you measuring this gap that is narrowing quickly? There is two sub 1080p games on PS4. Whereas the majority of Xbox games being released are still sub 1080p games,

The below 1080p/900p native Xbox games that have come out recently are 792p. This was 720p at the XB1 launch and also we are seeing an increase in games that are coming out matching the resolution and frame rate of the PS4.

Source: http://ie.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Meanwhile the Jaguar, remains the jaggiest. Jag-u-ar? More like You Are Jag, amirite?
    s_Cybermorph2Meg_7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Of course you can make a gap disappear. The XB1 is getting optimised at a much faster pace than PS4 at the moment. I am sure the PS4 will always have a slight edge but that's all it will have.

In the end its going to come down to which console secures the best games. Resolution does not matter if your competitor does not have a very popular game. This is what E3 should be about this year for both companies. Games, games, games.

You can't optimise a hardware disadvantage away if your competitor is doing it just as quickly. The PS4 graphics chip is 50% bigger, and it's still getting optimised, that's a fair gap to bridge.

There's no proof of the X1 being optimised quicker at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

In the end its going to come down to which console secures the best games.

Sony wins then if you ask me, unless MS buck up their ideas. Churning out money makers like Halo, Forza, Dance Central and Gears of War is good but a bit more variety would be nice.

Sony offer a much wider selection of games and their indie offerings are lightyears ahead of the competition.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Sony wins then if you ask me, unless MS buck up their ideas. Churning out money makers like Halo, Forza, Dance Central and Gears of War is good but a bit more variety would be nice.

Sony offer a much wider selection of games and their indie offerings are lightyears ahead of the competition.

I agree about variety.

Both the Xbox One and PS4 do not have a great variety of games at the moment so we will have to see what's on offer at this years E3.

IMO Sony have shown Microsoft the way and now the issue for Sony might be that Microsoft are going to walk it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It really doesn't matter how well the Sony's gaming division does. Can a rowing boat raise the Titanic. Sony will need to work hard in other areas to succeed. They are doing an amazing job in the Gaming division but unfortunately thats not enough to save Sony.

Who is actually going to buy Sony's failing business divisions. You can bet they wont be buying it for anything substantial.

But they aren't sinking. I said it ages ago and I'll say it again, an operating loss of $1.29bn when your revenue is $72bn isn't that bad. If you spend €9 over your weekly budget and you make €500 every week, you aren't exactly going to have a panic attack over it. A company the size of Sony aren't going anywhere soon. Someone will buy those divisions, maybe not for much but they'll take them and then they'll stop losing money for Sony.
    If the division of Microsoft that runs Azure gets offered money to host Playstation servers they're going to accept it. The rivalry between the two consoles isn't going to stop a separate division of Microsoft from earning money.

It depends, they'll work out whether it's better for them to work with Sony but they would still pay attention to the fact that Sony is a direct competitor in this field.
    lads any reasons for/against getting ps4?

I have a mate working in a shop who can get me the bare console package for €360...
    The alternative is just buy infamous and ufc for ps3 and hold onto the cash and maybe pick it up when better games come out

Seriously, just wait. Unless your friend is planning on quitting or the offer is temporary, you'll be paying more for less if you buy it now.
    Oat23 wrote: »
    Couldn't believe when I read Sky Go was coming to PS4 before the xbone.

What will be even more impressive if Sony don't take 30 minutes out of their press conference to talk to us about how cool Sky Go is :pac:
    PS4 still does not have a YouTube app and the Twitch is quite restrictive.

It's great for PS4 that they have Sky Go. I have an Xbox 360 so that connects into my Xbox One HDMI input and allows me to use Sky Go from my Xbox One :D

The Youtube thing is a very temporary problem. It will get an app soon, even having this as a tie-breaking factor is foolish. Sky Go is a lot better than the HDMI passthrough for many people because it allows more flexibility. To use the HDMI passthrough you need to be in the same location as the box, Sky Go allows you to have your console anywhere in the house, or even someone else's house. Not to mention that with improving internet infrastructure over the next 5-10 years, having internet TV will be a lot more attractive for many people than getting satellite dishes.
    Thats the problem. Professional analysis by the likes of Digital foundry are a load of bollox . They have to go into crazy detail frame by frame to point out slight differences in the varies platforms that most of us completely miss as we enjoy a game.

I go by what my eyes tell me and then look to see what others are saying.

This is indefensibly untrue. Impartial professional analysis is what's accurate and tells you the truth. You using your prejudiced eyes that are highly susceptible to placebos is what's a load of bollocks here. I greatly doubt you would be saying the same thing if DF had come out and said the XBO version was better.

In any case it really doesn't matter, this whole spec difference thing has been blown way out of proportion here. Anyone who is even remotely concerned about that stuff should just buy a PC and keep themselves happy. Even if one version is 792p and one is 900p, you aren't going to care because you're never sticking them side by side to spot the differences. They'll be negligible, just like last time. I have Red Dead Redemption on PS3 lately, at no point while playing did "man, this would look nicer if only I had the 360 version" cross my mind and I greatly doubt it would do so for many of those comparing the two new consoles in such intimate detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

NPD figures trickling through, no ISS in top ten, only 115k Xbox One consoles sold and Titanfall on the 360 leads the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Xenji wrote: »
    NPD figures trickling through, no ISS in top ten, only 115k Xbox One consoles sold and Titanfall on the 360 leads the charts.

115k Xbox's is awful. The drop off for ISS is surprising but it's most likely the same case for the Xbox One version of Titanfall.
    May is going to be a disaster for Xbox One with the price drop announced for June.

edit: I:SS was the best selling next-gen game for April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

115k Xbox's is awful. The drop off for ISS is surprising but it's most likely the same case for the Xbox One version of Titanfall.
    May is going to be a disaster for Xbox One with the price drop announced for June.

Xbox one version of titanfall is in top ten apparently according to MS
    April NPD Group figures released today showed that Xbox One continues to lead in software sales with the most cumulative units sold for any eighth generation home console platform life-to-date. Combined, Xbox One and Xbox 360 held eight of the top 10 spots on the generation eight and generation seven console game lists in the U.S. And, Xbox One continues to outpace Xbox 360 sales in the same historical time period by selling over 76 percent more units in the first six months on the market.

Highlights from April 2014 NPD Group results include:
    Xbox One continues to see impressive software sales, maintaining an average of three games sold per console.
    With Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined, the Xbox platform sold the most games across all console platforms with 2.6 million games sold. Xbox One sold 447,000 games in April and Xbox 360 sold 2.2 million, totaling 53 percent of the total software market share (Xbox 360 and Xbox One combined).
    Xbox One and Xbox 360 together held eight of the top 10 spots on the generation eight and generation seven console game list in the U.S.: “Titanfall” (Xbox One), “Kinect Sports Rivals” (Xbox One), “Titanfall” (Xbox 360), “Call of Duty: Ghosts” (Xbox 360), “NBA 2K14” (Xbox 360), “Grand Theft Auto V” (Xbox 360), “Minecraft” (Xbox 360) and “Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare” (Xbox 360).
    Xbox One sold 115,000 units in the U.S. in the month of April and has outpaced box 360 sales by 76 percent in the first six months on the market.
    Xbox 360 continues to grow its install base with 71,000 units sold in April in the U.S., more than any other seventh generation console.

mostly multiplats no concrete figures gameswise yet

Edit: Top 10 according to NPD

1. Titanfall (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC)
    2. Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)
    3. NBA 2K14 (Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
    4. Minecraft (Xbox 360)
    5. Lego: The Hobbit (Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, 3DS, Wii U, Vita)
    6. The Lego Movie Videogame (Xbox 360, 3DS, PS3, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, Vita)
    7. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Xbox 360, PS3, DS, 3DS, PS4, Wii U, Xbox One, Vita, PC)
    8. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, 3DS)
    9. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)
    10. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)

Sony claim infamous is the best seller but have not provided a figure for it

NTMK wrote: »
    Xbox one version of titanfall is in top ten apparently according to MS

mostly multiplats no concrete figures gameswise yet

Well they're probably just doing some PR spin and combining the sales.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/05/15/april-2014-npd-playstation-4-outsells-xbox-one-again/
    “Infamous: Second Son was the top-selling new-gen software title in April,” PlayStation brand boss Guy Longworth said in a statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Xenji wrote: »

What are these figures (timespan, location etc)?

Look at VGChartz weekly chart, Xbox One is selling around 60% of what the PS4 is selling. Hopefully the new price drop brings these closer together because that gap is pretty shocking (although not as bad as the Wii U being outsold by PS4 nearly 4 to 1).

http://venturebeat.com/2014/05/15/april-2014-npd-playstation-4-outsells-xbox-one-again/

i generally take both companies word with a pinch of salt since this is really just a dick waving competition to them

C14N wrote: »

Look at VGChartz weekly chart, Xbox One is selling around 60% of what the PS4 is selling. Hopefully the new price drop brings these closer together because that gap is pretty shocking (although not as bad as the Wii U being outsold by PS4 nearly 4 to 1).

4 Week period of April, US only, physical sales only.

Don't bother looking at VGChartz, they only make guesses. They were 100k off with their guess this month.

NPD is calender month sales in Certain US stores

They are from NPD and are for April, they are far more reliable than VGChartz, although it is only for the US.
    4 Week period of April, US only, physical sales only.

Don't bother looking at VGChartz, they only make guesses. They were 100k off with their guess this month.

Yeah they were predicting that both consoles would sell 50k each week in April.

Titanfall launched on the 360 last month, the 360 had sales of 2.2 million games compared to 447,000 on the Xbox One, so I reckon that the 360 version far outsold the Xbox One version last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

VGchartz are just pure guesses. They over tracked the XB1 by 2:1 in the US. They had the PS4 behind the XB1 in the US for April and as usual when NPD numbers released they were shown to be way off.

Look at the big picture, the month after Titanfall released it's being outsold 2:1 by the PS4 in what is by far MS's strongest territory. In the EU they are outsold by at least 3:1 and the rest of the world Microsoft haven't even bothered to release yet despite not having any supply issues.

Anyway NPD confirms that MS dropped the Kinect because they are being rampaged by the PS4 in their strongest territory.

The XB1 throughout April would have only cost you 50$ more than a PS4 so this is shocking. May will be like a slaughter house and Sony will be the butchers while the XB1 will be the pigs. A lot of people won't buy the One because they know a price drop is coming and PS4 sales will increase because of MLB 14 (the only baseball game released this year) and watch dogs for which sony have the exclusive advertising rights so to the casual gamer it will look like a sony exclusive on the tv. Unless it bombs in reviews it will be huge. Ubisoft announced that is it's most pre ordered new IP ever and the majority of those are on the PS4. This will be big for Sony.

I can't believe people thought MS announced the Kinectless price cut because they listened to fans. That was one of the most delusional things I've ever read.

Honestly if you're thinking of picking up an XB1 don't get it in June. Hardly any games release for it before September and I've a feeling MS is going to blow their load at E3. Announcing every game they are currently working on for the next 3 years, and this Xmas I'd imagine you'll get an Xbox One for 399 along with free live for a year and a free game.

Desperate times calls for desperate messures and if you don't like the PS4 then this is prob good news for you. A dog is most dangerous when it's cornered.

Breaking news. MS actually listened to pleas from their controller and not the fans!!

MrK2PXY.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Thought this was crazy however MS will be happy
    Xbox One sold 447,000 games.
    -Xbox 360 sold 2.2 million games

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Thought this was crazy however MS will be happy

Yes the Xbox 360 has done mighty fine in the USA. Pity they forgot why it was so successful and went off on a drunken rampage with the Xbox One.

It would be gas if the 360 outsold the one for May NPD. There's life in the old dogs yet especially considering they are still very expensive at around 249 and 299 respectively. With price cuts they should sell well for another 3 years or so.

And pretty much all major releases this year are coming out for the PS3 and Xbox 360 so I think a lot of people will hold off upgrading for another year or two.

Just another piece of info from NPD April. Infamous: Second Son outsold Titanfall (XB1 version) which is surprising. EA will be happy it shifted a lot of units on the 360 but MS will have wanted it to move a lot more XB1's instead.

Also very surprised an open world super hero game did that versus an online multiplayer shooter hailed as the next cod (and in merica too).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^ Not TOO surprising. Titanfall sales are divided. You have 360 sales, PC sales and then XBO sales. I'm sure if there was only one place to get the game much like there's only one place to get INfamous then the numbers would be comparable between those games.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I can't believe people thought MS announced the Kinectless price cut because they listened to fans. That was one of the most delusional things I've ever read.

You're not making any sense at all. Xbox fans like Kinect 2.0 and the feedback as been great about Kinect from the people that own it. We'd like to see it have a significant gaming use but it does quite a bit for the OS. The Kinect-less option is just what they need to do to get the price down to entice prospective buyers, not fans.

MS has been great at listening to changes we want on the console which as seen Xbox One get frequent updates every few weeks while the PS4 has had only about 2 updates since launch.

Even Boogie - a major Youtuber and massive Sony fan as said he loves using the Kinect and hopes MS will keep supporting it http://youtu.be/0m1hqkTea2I

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Just another piece of info from NPD April. Infamous: Second Son outsold Titanfall (XB1 version) which is surprising. EA will be happy it shifted a lot of units on the 360 but MS will have wanted it to move a lot more XB1's instead.

Also very surprised an open world super hero game did that versus an online multiplayer shooter hailed as the next cod (and in merica too).

I am surprised that you are surprised lol. The PS4 has millions more units out there than Xbox One and the Xbox 360 customer base is gigantic. Great news for MS, more money in the bank for the Xbox division :)

Shows there is still a huge base of xbox 360 gamers to be enticed to move to Xbox One.

Sony must be kicking themselves that they lost a piece of the Titanfall pie. Imagine how well Titanfall would have sold on PS3 and then PS4. I'd worry about a company that makes a $1.29 billion dollar loss and doesn't have the foresight to sit down with Respawn Studios who's founders created one of the most successful video game franchises of all time.

Sony are doing great but they can't afford many mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

I am surprised that you are surprised lol. The PS4 has millions more units out there than Xbox One and the Xbox 360 customer base is gigantic. Great news for MS, more money in the bank for the Xbox division :)

Shows there is still a huge base of xbox 360 gamers to be enticed to move to Xbox One.

Sony must be kicking themselves that they lost a piece of the Titanfall pie. Imagine how well Titanfall would have sold on PS3 and then PS4. I'd worry about a company that makes a $1.29 billion dollar loss and doesn't have the foresight to sit down with Respawn Studios who's founders created one of the most successful video game franchises of all time.

When Planetside 2 hits PS4 it's going to blow Titanfall out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

It's like listening to a Microsoft sponsored Richard Dower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Titanfall is already dead on PC... good game that. Its only doing well on XB1 because theres **** all else to play on it.... meh, i guess it would have done well on PS4 too since it seems just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Everything ive listened to recently NPD figures are not exactly to be trusted explicitly either. They dont take into account any digital sales on any of the platforms, xbone, ps4 or PC whatsoever

• Advertisement

When Planetside 2 hits PS4 it's going to blow Titanfall out of the water.

Of course it will.

I wouldn't consider Titanfall in the same league or FPS category. Kind of like comparing Battlefield to Call of Duty. Each has their own merits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement