Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

miju wrote: »
    it will do it if you take the extra effort option of hitting the power buttton even with no kinect once its configured

It's so much extra effort to press a button on the controller you'll need to pick up anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It was still the best selling next gen game so it didn't really drop off. Just last gen is still selling much better.

While it was the best selling next gen game it still dropped off the earth weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

While it was the best selling next gen game it still dropped off the earth weeks later.

Same could be said about Titanfall on Xbox One then, the so called "killer" app for Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Is that surprising for a console-exclusive game with no multiplayer? Look at Minecraft in the March and April figures. It went from 4th to 10th on a console with a much larger userbase and is a game which arguably appeals to a much larger demographic.

The rest of the games are released on most of the consoles (current-gen, next-gen, handhelds) and are focused a lot on multiplayer, or have more appeal with children (Lego games).

A game like inFamous, on a much newer console with no multiplayer is never going to compete with most of the other games on that list in terms of sales. Look at how much Lego Marvel is still selling even though it was released about 6 months ago. Most people that inFamous appeals to would have bought it in the first week or two.

Sales is usually no indication of quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's probably also down to the limited install base of both next gen consoles.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's probably also down to the limited install base of both next gen consoles.

I am interested in the figures for both Titanfall and Infamous second son.

So far we can only relate to where they are and aren't on the best sellers list and we know that ISS sold more copies than Titanfal on XB1 but we don't know how many copies were sold of either on next gen.

Anyone know where and when we will find it out?

So far we can only relate to where they are and aren't on the best sellers list and we know that ISS sold more copies than Titanfal on XB1 but we don't know how many copies were sold of either on next gen.

Does it really matter? It doesn't prove anything in terms of the consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

TBH i dont think its possible to get accurate figures due to the NPDs not taking into account anything outside the US or digital downloads from either platform

Penn wrote: »
    Does it really matter? It doesn't prove anything in terms of the consoles

Of course it matters. It's tells an interesting story. How many copies were sold compared to other games on the different systems.

I like analytics and the story they tell. I am not trying to 'prove' anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    But I can still just switch the channel to another HDMI input.

And you get youtube through the browser.

As far as apps go, I don't even use it for that, I use my phone and tablet for that stuff. I actually watch Netflix off my smart TV because it's unnecessary to boot it up just for that.

I'm a gamer, so if I don't even use twitch or youtube on my PS4, why would a casual?

I'm still not seeing how it's better for the casual when a console is all about the games. And if apps are your thing, there are a multitude of cheap dongles and accessories out there that will do it all.

You are underestimating the advantages of integration.

New consoles won't be all about games. MS are trying to integrate hardcore, casual and social gamers to a platform that offers multiple pathways. They want a wii with the ability to play graphically tasty games is all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

It's so much extra effort to press a button on the controller you'll need to pick up anyway?

xbox on , go to Netflix , select my list , option 2 , enjoy movie

or

xbox on, snap party , invite friends, person 1, 4, 7 , invite

not a controller or headset in sight and fun to do too :) And someone says they are a "gamer" yet dont use twitch, i find that a bit strange. Twitch is great for tips and tricks for gamers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

These arguments are getting more and more irrelevant since yesterday,pity theres not loads more games out for both so could could just go back to the argument of which has better games. Really a lot of this is just splitting hairs at this point

Keep seeing comparisons of the twitch app coming up,ive gamed since i was about 5yrs old,which is a long time ago now!!
    In most of that time as in over 20 years,twitch never even existed so to say your not a gamer if you dont use twitch is actually ridiculous:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I love having a look at VGC. Knack has sold more than Dead Rising. Jeeeesus.
    Fifa 14 has sold over twice the copies on PS4, than Xbox One. That have anything to do with the Xbox Launch pack?
    Spiderman sold 63k on PS4 vs 17K on XBox One, so at least most Xbox users didn't get stung with that game.

And someone says they are a "gamer" yet dont use twitch, i find that a bit strange. Twitch is great for tips and tricks for gamers :)

Back in my day, a gamer was somebody who played games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

New consoles won't be all about games. MS are trying to integrate hardcore, casual and social gamers to a platform that offers multiple pathways. They want a wii with the ability to play graphically tasty games is all.

If MS want to court more 'casual' gamers, the first thing they could do is drop the paywall for free-to-play games.

Benzino wrote: »
    Back in my day, a gamer was somebody who played games.

They still are, think my point may have been misunderstood. Twitch these days is like the Game Guides of old :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

They still are, think my point may have been misunderstood. Twitch these days is like the Game Guides of old :p

Im sure Twitch is fantastic for those who use it and like it,id use youtube in a similar way. Just i dont think its essential to being a gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

or

not a controller or headset in sight and fun to do too :) And someone says they are a "gamer" yet dont use twitch, i find that a bit strange. Twitch is great for tips and tricks for gamers :)

I have been playing games since I got the play&watch donkey kong as a 5 year old (which is over 30 years ago) however I guess I am not a gamer since I have never used twitch in my life (barely use youtube for gaming content). I always thought being a gamer was someone who played games, I didn't realise it was someone who watches others (possibly non-gamers) play games.

or

How is it strange to be a gamer and not use an app? :confused:

I use all apps like that on my phone because I always disliked using them outside of a laptop or touchscreen because they're so clumsy.

I play games, the only app I might use would be Netflix on my PS4. Everything else is easier and far more intuitive left to a phone or laptop rather than a console.

On the voice commands, can you say "play the desolation of smaug" and it does it for you?
    Sounds like you have to build your list using a controller before you can say "play option 2".

Of course it matters. It's tells an interesting story. How many copies were sold compared to other games on the different systems.

I could understand that for similar types of games, but inFamous and Titanfall are so completely different that any comparison between the sales figures of the two is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you have to build your list using a controller before you can say "play option 2".

yes you can. you can also navigate each and every menu on the console via voice.

There is nothing strange about gamers not using Twitch. I agree it's very good for learning new tricks and tips on games, but part of the joy of playing games is discovering this stuff yourself. I think it's great if you are a competitive gamer, or for unreleased games like H1Z1.

yes you can. you can also navigate each and every menu on the console via voice.

Ok, that's fine.

Obviously it's just something I've no interest in when I can just as handily use my controller. As I've said, I don't even use the PS4 voice commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Twitch...sure I still use Gamefaqs :o

Xenji wrote: »
    Twitch...sure I still use Gamefaqs :o

I just use youtube the odd time tbh. If I'm stuck on a game I can just pause it and watch a vid on my phone, then just throw the phone down and unpause.

No switching apps and typing on the console needed, so it's much faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I just use youtube the odd time tbh. If I'm stuck on a game I can just pause it and watch a vid on my phone, then just throw the phone down and unpause.

No switching apps and typing on the console needed, so it's much faster.

Pah, I still just fling my sh¡t at the screen and scream at the telly to assert my dominance as an alpha male.

Either that or Youtube on the tablet…

I will admit to having to use YouTube once with Dark Souls, does not make me any less of a man.

Twitch though is fun, especially if you are on the fence about a game and want to see somebody doing a run through of it or devs showing off their games before they are released.

I like analytics and the story they tell. I am not trying to 'prove' anything.

Penn wrote: »
    I could understand that for similar types of games, but inFamous and Titanfall are so completely different that any comparison between the sales figures of the two is irrelevant.

No I don't mean comparing against each other. I mean comparing against titles on their own platform.

So Titanfall compared to other game sales on Xbox One and Infamous second son compared to other PS4 game sales.

No I don't mean comparing against each other. I mean comparing against titles on their own platform.

So Titanfall compared to other game sales on Xbox One and Infamous second son compared to other PS4 game sales.

Ah, gotcha now.

• Advertisement

CoD Ghosts is the best selling game on both consoles as of last month, Titanfall was the second highest selling Xbox One game and I do know the second highest for the PS4, this could of changed though although nothing was mentioned in this months NPD report that I saw.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/05/06/call-of-duty-ghosts-is-ps4s-xbox-ones-best-selling-game

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement