Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

sarumite wrote: »
    The xbone has dropped the Kinect which will free up 10% of the processing power for games. This will help close the gap even more.

Not that much though...

Dont forget the update in March brought the Kinect CPU usage down to about 3℅ as opposed to the 10 it was already using, they may get it down to 1% though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Fieldog wrote: »
    Not that much though...

Dont forget the update in March brought the Kinect CPU usage down to about 3℅ as opposed to the 10 it was already using, they may get it down to 1% though....

My 10% was old data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

With this new Mario Kart coming the Wii-U is the must have console for 2014.

Seems the Vita is dead too, never played it so can't comment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Vita is a great console, and I'm sure most who've spent time with one would agree. Only picked one up within the last few weeks and should have done so sooner.

Tearaway alone is worth the entry price - a game that's up there with some of Nintendo's best. A hugely imaginative delight. I look forward to the day there's anything on PS4 or One to match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

RasTa wrote: »

Seems the Vita is dead too, never played it so can't comment.

The Vita is far from dead, it is having its best 12 months currently, it actually has a better lineup than the 3DS this year as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The Vita is a great console, and I'm sure most who've spent time with one would agree. Only picked one up within the last few weeks and should have done so sooner.

Tearaway alone is worth the entry price - a game that's up there with some of Nintendo's best. A hugely imaginative delight.

Yeah it's strange, only 3.3k sold in the US for April which is madness. I've no interest in handhelds but would get a Nintendo if I was choosing.

Also expect PS4 to hit 12m sales by the end of 2014 which is the opposite end of madness scale
    Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. just announced that PS4 has cumulatively sold through more than 7.0 million units globally as of April 6th, 2014. PS4 software sales are another bright spot, with more than 20.5 million copies sold at retail and PlayStation Store worldwide as of April 13th, 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Yup about to pick up the next gen vita for my nephew. Great little machine and with the freebies from PS+ alone makes it a bargain. Added to that any digital games I bought for my original PSP can be played too so I am thrilled with it.

And having used it as a remote control for the PS4 for Killzone, Contrast and others think it has come into it's own. Remote play is great - apart from the dodgy R/L 2 & 3 but figure I will get better with practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'd get the older Vita model if you can, it has a better quality screen than the new version.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

I think a lot of people are missing the sarcasm from that poster (I think). haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

4 Week period of April, US only, physical sales only.

Don't bother looking at VGChartz, they only make guesses. They were 100k off with their guess this month.

You mean don't bother for current/weekly figures or don't bother with the totals? And is there an alternative for global figures?
    Of course they made profit lol. They sold over 2.5 million copies already on Xbox 360.

EA sold more than that with Dead Space 3 and still called it disappointing. Not sure how the budgets compared but selling 2.5 million isn't always profitable.
    Grayditch wrote: »
    Fifa 14 has sold over twice the copies on PS4, than Xbox One. That have anything to do with the Xbox Launch pack

Traditionally, Xbox has been stronger in the US while the Playstation is stronger in Europe so you end up with Madden doing better on Xbox and FIFA doing better on PS. Twice as much is unusual but then the PS4 is doing a lot better than Xbox One right now.
    Could be using Steam OS aswell, smartasses everywhere!!!

Still lets the MS fanboys on Windows play it though, nobody is going to make big games exclusive to Steam OS, not even Valve.
    RasTa wrote: »

Maybe it will boost it, especially with Smash Bros this winter as well, would be nice to see it getting out of second gear but I wouldn't say it'll pass out the competition.

Are we allowed talk about Wii U and PC in this thread btw?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

C14N wrote: »
    Are we allowed talk about Wii U and PC in this thread btw?

Don't see why not since they are competitors in the race as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'd say no to PC as the other 3 are consoles and of known quantities, a PC can be anything the user wants it to be and up to cutting edge all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I'd say no to PC as the other 3 are consoles and of known quantities, a PC can be anything the user wants it to be and up to cutting edge all the time.

Any excuse to post my favourite gif

ESCWFqa.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Seeing a lot of love for the PSVita in here. It's kinda cool I guess... but it's riddled with some very restrictive DRM. For example, I can't connect it to my local network and stream videos and music from my main computer... and pretty much any device that has a screen and wireless connection can do that these days. It's not mine, my sis uses it but there can be absolutely no proper sharing between us because DRM stops the use of multiple accounts... yeah. In other words, you have to get certified Sony approved experience and absolutely nothing else. No sharing, game-trading, watching movies in bed or even leaving it on as a radio for your own music library. Very disappointing for a 300 quid device - My sis admits she'd never have bought it in a million years if it was up to her - it was a gift. She only recently got Monster Hunter on it so this is the only time I'm possibly even going to feel a little bit jelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Just curious but does anyone have the number of games currently available for Xbox One vs PS4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Seeing a lot of love for the PSVita in here. It's kinda cool I guess... but it's riddled with some very restrictive DRM. For example, I can't connect it to my local network and stream videos and music from my main computer... and pretty much any device that has a screen and wireless connection can do that these days. It's not mine, my sis uses it but there can be absolutely no proper sharing between us because DRM stops the use of multiple accounts... yeah. In other words, you have to get certified Sony approved experience and absolutely nothing else. No sharing, game-trading, watching movies in bed or even leaving it on as a radio for your own music library. Very disappointing for a 300 quid device - My sis admits she'd never have bought it in a million years if it was up to her - it was a gift. She only recently got Monster Hunter on it so this is the only time I'm possibly even going to feel a little bit jelly.

I have had 1 for around a year and would agree, the multiple accounts bugs me most without a doubt as my main account and my plus account are different,
    Alot of the games are indie titles and while some are good i just dont feel it at all in alot of them. The only game i really enjoyed was uncharted which i thought was amazing considering the size of the machine, assassins creed is also pretty good. I dont feel the love at all for guacamelee or gravity rush which some rave about.
    The remote play is a great feature but without l/r 1/2/3 buttons (you use the back touchpad for these) alot of games are much more difficult to play than they should be. A proper case with additional buttons to complete the touchpad actions would help it considerably.
    Game prices are also quite high and i have only bought assassins creed and the metal gear solid collection both second hand aswell 30/35 for a new title for the little console is just too much.
    I only paid €100 for mine second hand so not too bothered but had i splashed out full price at the time i wouldnt be very happy.
    Maybe im asking too much? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

rizzla wrote: »
    Just curious but does anyone have the number of games currently available for Xbox One vs PS4?

[IMG][/img]ps4-vs-xbox-one-game-releases_zpsb195b0b9.png

Taken from here http://bgr.com/2014/04/21/ps4-vs-xbox-one-game-releases/ not sure how accurate it is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Every month I turn on the Vita and download the Instant PsPlus game and play through it. Sometimes I'll get nostalgic and buy an old PS1/PSP game. Great little yoke. Can't believe I still play the thing as much as I do.
    cadete wrote: »
    *List*

This is one of the main reasons that I chose the PS4, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Not being able to have 2 accounts is an absolute pain in the hole with the vita.

Probably not the right place to talk about it but if they could change that functionality and give another price cut to the memory cards it might just stand some chance in picking up sales in Europe and America.

Other then those things I bloody love the vita.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Seeing a lot of love for the PSVita in here. It's kinda cool I guess... but it's riddled with some very restrictive DRM. For example, I can't connect it to my local network and stream videos and music from my main computer... and pretty much any device that has a screen and wireless connection can do that these days... No watching movies in bed

The DRM and ridiculously convoluted way of accessing multiple accounts is deeply regrettable (still better than Nintendo's backwards policies, though, and the region locked 3DS), no denying that, especially since Sony have been so progressive in that respect with their home consoles.

But watching movies? God, no thank you: it's a gaming portable, not a device for watching film. Sony tried it with the PSP, and it rightfully failed dramatically. It's such an awful, awful way to watch a film - holding a device in front of you for two hours is close to my vision of cinematic hell. It would be very hard indeed to have it standing comfortably to the point where it would be an acceptable way to watch a movie (far too small anyway, even if it is a gorgeous display). There's a major difference between a passive activity like watching a film and an active one like playing a game in terms of what's necessary comfort wise. I can't imagine there's many situations when anyone wouldn't have a significantly better alternative than a PS Vita for watching a film - and, frankly, you'd be doing the film a major disservice anyway. Sony are doing us all a goddamn favour not including better video playback functionality :pac:

As David Lynch said of phones, which could easily be changed to encompass portable games consoles:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've watched comedy shows on my iPad on planes. That's about as far as I've gone. Watching a good movie on a tiny screen would distress me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's only handy for giving the kids a library of films to watch on holidays. Otherwise I don't see the point of films on a tiny screen either.
    The Vita is a cracking machine though, but the different mem cards for different regions is a pain.
    Pity Nintendo took the opportunity to region lock the 3DS though, strange as they haven't done it before and they were the ones to really develop handheld gaming.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's only handy for giving the kids a library of films to watch on holidays. Otherwise I don't see the point of films on a tiny screen either.
    The Vita is a cracking machine though, but the different mem cards for different regions is a pain.
    Pity Nintendo took the opportunity to region lock the 3DS though, strange as they haven't done it before and they were the ones to really develop handheld gaming.

I don't think the cards are region locked... Unless you are just referring to having a different region account on one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

tok9 wrote: »
    I don't think the cards are region locked... Unless you are just referring to having a different region account on one.

That's the thing what I was poorly describing just now.

I wonder what the reason for it is?

And why did Nintendo lock the 3DS?
    I know they had a crack at it before, with DSi games locked by region as well, that is DS software with DSi specific functionality.

We can probably blame the insane piracy rates for the DS :(

At least physical Vita releases are straight up region free, which eases the pain a bit.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's the thing what I was poorly describing just now.

It's a pain. Wasted a lot of time setting my US psn account on another card assuming it would be attached to it.. I was wrong :(

Sony need to sort it out.

tok9 wrote: »
    It's a pain. Wasted a lot of time setting my US psn account on another card assuming it would be attached to it.. I was wrong :(

Sony need to sort it out.

Is the Vita not region free?

Can you not buy a few memory cards for it?

We have one in the house but my account isn't on it - can I just buy a card and pop my account on there or is it only the "owner" of the Vita?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Fieldog wrote: »
    Is the Vita not region free?

Can you not buy a few memory cards for it?

We have one in the house but my account isn't on it - can I just buy a card and pop my account on there or is it only the "owner" of the Vita?

The Vita is indeed region free and so are its memory cards, you can have multiple accounts on it also but you need multiple cards for it. Your PSN ID is bonded to your memory card and your memory card is bonded to your Vita. So if you wanted to change different PSN users but use the same memory card, you would need to go factory reset.

Ya it's an absolutely painful process.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    The Vita is indeed region free and so are its memory cards, you can have multiple accounts on it also but you need multiple cards for it. Your PSN ID is bonded to your memory card and your memory card is bonded to your Vita. So if you wanted to change different PSN users but use the same memory card, you would need to go factory reset.

Nice one for the info....

Might pick up a card so, have lots of PS+ titles festering in my account...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement