Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

But watching movies? God, no thank you: it's a gaming portable, not a device for watching film. Sony tried it with the PSP, and it rightfully failed dramatically. It's such an awful, awful way to watch a film - holding a device in front of you for two hours is close to my vision of cinematic hell. It would be very hard indeed to have it standing comfortably to the point where it would be an acceptable way to watch a movie (far too small anyway, even if it is a gorgeous display). There's a major difference between a passive activity like watching a film and an active one like playing a game in terms of what's necessary comfort wise. I can't imagine there's many situations when anyone wouldn't have a significantly better alternative than a PS Vita for watching a film - and, frankly, you'd be doing the film a major disservice anyway. Sony are doing us all a goddamn favour not including better video playback functionality :pac:

As David Lynch said of phones, which could easily be changed to encompass portable games consoles:

I never said films, just videos which can be shows or things I've been working on myself (or whatever). I like to watch The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Mystery Science Theater 3000, Samurai Jack and Megas XLR all while I'm in my bed. None of these shows lose anything significant enough on a small screen to make it worth worrying about - not to mention I barely ever watch a whole episode before feeling sleepy enough to turn the device off and go to sleep... which of right now is the PS3 with my monitor turned towards my bed which is thankfully easy enough because the stand is very adjustable.

David Lynch movies, though? Damn right I'll be watching his films on my main computer and I would've never thought otherwise. As I would with any full feature film.

And there's still the issue of having my music and picture libraries on the network not being accessible from a Vita. My sis uses the Vita as a radio because it actually does have a decent selection of radio channels on one of the apps (80s music while she cooks!). But it would be a lot better if we could link it up to our network setup and have it stream some Broken Bit, Mindless Self Indulgence, Daft Punk, :wumpscut:, God Is An Astronaut as well as some video game soundtracks like Silent Hill, Metal Gear Rising, Tekken and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I am surprised that you are surprised lol. The PS4 has millions more units out there than Xbox One and the Xbox 360 customer base is gigantic. Great news for MS, more money in the bank for the Xbox division :)

Shows there is still a huge base of xbox 360 gamers to be enticed to move to Xbox One.

Sony must be kicking themselves that they lost a piece of the Titanfall pie. Imagine how well Titanfall would have sold on PS3 and then PS4. I'd worry about a company that makes a $1.29 billion dollar loss and doesn't have the foresight to sit down with Respawn Studios who's founders created one of the most successful video game franchises of all time.

Sony are doing great but they can't afford many mistakes.

Personally think EA will be kicking themselves that they missed out on the 83M PS3 install base and the almost double ps4 install base compared to the XB1. They could hve missed their chance for it to be the next COD but now it will never likely be that, even if as rumored Titanfall 2 comes out on he PS4.

Sony may have a 1 billion loss but that's due to getting rid of the TV and PC division which will take another 2 years at least. Their revenue was over 70 billion so not as major as it sounds.

If anything I'd say MS can't afford to make many more errors and they've made a ton so far. Investors won't put up with the Xbox division doing badly for muh longer. Many have already voiced their concerns already. They lost billions on the Xbox to get a foothold in the market, they invest billions more in the 360 and were told it would lead to massive returns once it's successor released.

If they don't slow Sony down soon it will look a major step back to investors and you won't see much support for another one after it. Sony on the other hand are set to make a fortune over the lifespan of the PS4 and unlike MS they need their gaming division a lot more. If they get outdone 2:1 in sales this generation a 1-20 billion offer or whatever it's worth offer from amazon or the like could be too good to turn down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Titanfall was never meant to be an exclusive, it was only a timed exclusive, so the game was built for it, but a deal between EA and MS changed that.

It's almost a certainty that Titanfall 2 will be on the PS4. They won't pass up the money they can make from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Ps4 to receive a massive performance boost in the near future according to rumors..... Interesting,
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/sonys-playstation-4-rumoured-receive-massive-performance-boost-1449014

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

So apparently PS4 games come in a single pkg file regardless if you download or use a bluray. AFAIK they aren't unpacked when installed So one obvious improvement would be to allow unpacking of the files during install potentially increasing load times and texture streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

cadete wrote: »
    Ps4 to receive a massive performance boost in the near future according to rumors..... Interesting,
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/sonys-playstation-4-rumoured-receive-massive-performance-boost-1449014

Didnt the ICE team/Naughty Dog develop a lot of libraries in machine code to get the most of the PS3 architecture? Would be sweet if they've already done this for the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Titanfall was never meant to be an exclusive, it was only a timed exclusive, so the game was built for it, but a deal between EA and MS changed that.

It's almost a certainty that Titanfall 2 will be on the PS4. They won't pass up the money they can make from it.

Actually since the release of Titanfall MS sorted and strengthened a new deal that now has the franchise as an exclusive so there will now be no Titanfall 2 for the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I will take those news with a truck of salt. If they are talking about boost, I wonder if it will effect already released games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I will take those news with a truck of salt. If they are talking about boost, I wonder if it will effect already released games?

Unless it's just gonna be increasing clock speed then probably not. If it's new low level libraries then games may need to be patched to make use of the new/improved libs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Actually since the release of Titanfall MS sorted and strengthened a new deal that now has the franchise as an exclusive so there will now be no Titanfall 2 for the PS4.

Are you sure about that? I'v seen nothing about this, only that the 1st is exclusive for its lifetime but sequels on PS4 are a definite possibility.

• Advertisement

I wonder if it will effect already released games?

No, because they say if developers choose they can make PS4 versions of the same game really shine on the PS4 if they want, leaving the X1 far behind. But it has to be coded for first, I don't think a patch can sort that out.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? I'v seen nothing about this, only that the 1st is exclusive for its lifetime but sequels on PS4 are a definite possibility.

Yeah, almost certain. Can't remember where I read it though. Prior to the release of the Titanfall there was talk of the second coming to both consoles but not now.

Yeah, almost certain. Can't remember where I read it though. Prior to the release of the Titanfall there was talk of the second coming to both consoles but not now.

Just googling it shows many recent stories saying there's no exclusivity and that it will most likely be coming to PS4.

I've never even heard the story of them securing X1 exclusivity of the second game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

IB Times - click bait fodder of the highest order....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

cadete wrote: »

And so will the one and the wiiu. Development libraries are always getting iterations and improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The PS4 might get it's CPU clocked higher to match the One at 1.75Ghz.

I think you're remembering it wrong, from what I can see the only thing that's happened is that EA have gotten the rights to Titanfall 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The real story which is a shocker is Respawn Studios approached Sony looking for information on the PS4 since they were going to be creating a version of Titanfall for it. Sony wouldn't share any information with Respawn about the PS4 and told them "Just make a version for the PS Vita" since that was already released :eek:

They next approached Microsoft and got all the info they needed about Xbox One and also Microsoft invested time and money to help Respawn achieve their goals with the game.

Sony really fell asleep behind the wheel on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's Respawn that suffer the most, though, not Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The real story which is a shocker is Respawn Studios approached Sony looking for information on the PS4 since they were going to be creating a version of Titanfall for it. Sony wouldn't share any information with Respawn about the PS4 and told them "Just make a version for the PS Vita" since that was already released :eek:

They next approached Microsoft and got all the info they needed about Xbox One and also Microsoft invested time and money to help Respawn achieve their goals with the game.

Do you have link or info on that? As it really really sounds unlikely that Sony would tell Call of Duty orignal devs just go **** themselves.

• Advertisement

Funny considering I've read articles saying EA and MS made a deal behind the devs' backs making the game exclusive, and they've said they didn't want that. It went ahead because EA thought the X1 would be leading in sales.

I don't think they'll make that mistake again. They can make far more money on both the PS4 and X1 than on any exclusive deal MS offer them.

Do you have link or info on that? As it really really sounds unlikely that Sony would tell Call of Duty orignal devs just go **** themselves.

Thats what I am amazed at. You have 2 founders from one of the worlds best selling FPS franchises of all time and Sony tell them hey, build a Vita version :rolleyes:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/18/5627670/titanfall-vita-the-final-hours-of-titanfall

Funny considering I've read articles saying EA and MS made a deal behind the devs' backs making the game exclusive, and they've said they didn't want that. It went ahead because EA thought the X1 would be leading in sales.

I don't think they'll make that mistake again. They can make far more money on both the PS4 and X1 than on any exclusive deal MS offer them.

Late in the development of Titanfall Respawn ran out of money and again Microsoft stepped in and invested money to get the game to market. This is where the exclusivity deal came from. Of course the developers and founder knew. They were just trying to keep the Sony base happy because Respawn were starting to take a hammering on Twitter about not creating Sony versions of Titanfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Titanfall isn't even good though, the only reason its being played is due to lack of a decent alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Titanfall has been a disappointment so who cares. Microsoft can have Titanfall 2, 3, 4 and 5 as well if they want.

I love shooters and have absolutely no desire to play it after watching streams on twitch.

I've played it and it's not bad, it's just not that exciting either. Then again COD isn't my thing either and it feels very much like COD. Fun at the start, but it tires quickly.

Thats what I am amazed at. You have 2 founders from one of the worlds best selling FPS franchises of all time and Sony tell them hey, build a Vita version :rolleyes:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/18/5627670/titanfall-vita-the-final-hours-of-titanfall

Right move by Sony in the long run, keeping their specs and plans secret for so long meant that the PS4 got the drop on the One with it's lower price, higher power, faster memory (the bump to 8GB was a late change), and less restrictive DRM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Late in the development of Titanfall Respawn ran out of money and again Microsoft stepped in and invested money to get the game to market. This is where the exclusivity deal came from. Of course the developers and founder knew. They were just trying to keep the Sony base happy because Respawn were starting to take a hammering on Twitter about not creating Sony versions of Titanfall.

This says otherwise?

https://twitter.com/VinceZampella/status/395325209521029120

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Titanfall isn't even good though, the only reason its being played is due to lack of a decent alternative.
    I've played it and it's not bad, it's just not that exciting either. Then again COD isn't my thing either and it feels very much like COD. Fun at the start, but it tires quickly.

Pretty much the case. I don't think it's bad, but it's certainly not come anything close to the hype.. kind of like a lot of the more recent cod games. For most people it's fun for a week or so... and then they probably will never play it again. I feel it'll have a longer lifespan on the consoles because there's not a whole lot of choice. Whereas it's pretty much dead on PC from what I can tell because you know... why play a cod clone when there are a ton of better options available.

Saying that, I'd be incredibly surprised if the ps4 doesn't get the sequel.. and with that becoming the primary console for the game in the future with it's larger installbase etc.

• Advertisement

Its a very good game. Its the smoothest FPS I have ever played and its crazy funny. What lets it down is a lack of content. Gamemodes particularly. Also plenty of people still playing Cod Ghosts and BrokenField 4 as well as others games.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Titanfall has been a disappointment so who cares. Microsoft can have Titanfall 2, 3, 4 and 5 as well if they want.

I love shooters and have absolutely no desire to play it after watching streams on twitch.

If it was on PS3 & PS4 it would be the best game ever lol. Overall the game has been received very positively and I'll bet when Titanfall 2 becomes cross platform it will be a mega hit.
    Varik wrote: »
    Right move by Sony in the long run, keeping their specs and plans secret for so long meant that the PS4 got the drop on the One with it's lower price, higher power, faster memory (the bump to 8GB was a late change), and less restrictive DRM.

lol, really :confused:
    It would have been huge on PS3 & PS4. If they had foresight they could have secured a Sony exclusivity deal. There were plenty of multi platform games on both XB1 and PS4 at launch so these studios would have known the spec of each console so they could develop for them.

Its worrying that you have 2 founders of one of the worlds best selling FPS franchise of all time saying we want to make a PS4 version and Sony says there's the door..... build a PS Vita version :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement