Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

2 months old and EA have it discounted 40% on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Grayditch wrote: »
    I feel like that's about the third time I've read that post on these last few pages.

I am trying to get a bit of a conversation going about PS4 and Xbox One and the companies behind them.

Have Sony become too complacent now that they have the sales lead? Microsoft are making a lot of changes and seem very hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Surely the console wasn't even built, let alone leading in sales when this Respawn shunning happened?

Surely the console wasn't even built, let alone leading in sales when this Respawn shunning happened?

I am talking about now at present.

I am asking do you think that after such a blunder with Respawn will Sony have learnt their lesson? Are they be a bit more on the ball now? or are they too complacent now that they have the sales lead?

I think they do more to get good games on their system than Microsoft ever will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I am talking about now at present.

I am asking do you think that after such a blunder with Respawn will Sony have learnt their lesson? Are they be a bit more on the ball now? or are they too complacent now that they have the sales lead?

What lesson, I am sure both companies and many publishers have made similar mistakes in the past quite often, the decision about Respawn came well before the console was released so how has it any bearing on them now becoming complacent due to a sales lead, which I would not agree with anyway.

Sony laid out a great groundwork for the console, if they look complacent it is more due to all the issues Microsoft have endured since launch, why fix what is not broken. The more success both consoles have the more great games we will get and that is win win for everyone regardless of your preferences.

Xenji wrote: »
    What lesson, I am sure both companies and many publishers have made similar mistakes in the past quite often, the decision about Respawn came well before the console was released so how has it any bearing on them now becoming complacent due to a sales lead, which I would not agree with anyway.

Lesson: when the founders of one of the worlds best selling FPS franchises come to you to ask about making a PS4 version of a game don't show them the door and tell them to make a PS Vita version. :D

Is Sony being too complacent at the moment due to having a saless lead. We seem to be getting OS updates on XB1 every 3-4 weeks and already major announcements.

Could Sony miss a potentially great game like Titanfall again?

Why would they miss it next time around? The specs are already out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Why would they miss it next time around? The specs are already out.

Apparently you can become retroactively complacent, constant firmware updates is now a good thing (also less often than the PS4 still), and a lot of silence is a major announcement.

Failsafe, explain to me what you think will happen with regard to Titanfall 2's release, after all you've alluded to. I'm really confused.

• Advertisement

Failsafe, explain to me what you think will happen with regard to Titanfall 2's release, after all you've alluded to. I'm really confused.

I am not talking about Titanfall 2 :confused:

I am talking about any new game (IP) that has potential and backers with exceptional game sales records. Will Sony embrace them or show them the door?

Titanfall 2 will be multi-platform release without a doubt If it doesn't die before hand *snigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Lesson: when the founders of one of the worlds best selling FPS franchises come to you to ask about making a PS4 version of a game don't show them the door and tell them to make a PS Vita version. :D

Is Sony being too complacent at the moment due to having a saless lead. We seem to be getting OS updates on XB1 every 3-4 weeks and already major announcements.

So Sony is getting complacent because they didn't secure one FPS game?

If I recall correctly, MS turned up heavy rain, most likely because it wasn't a shooter they'd have interest in.

Also Sony has been making big pushes with indie devs. MS is only now catching up in many regards, so I wouldn't call Sony being complacent if they're following their roadmap and it's MS who are flat-out correcting their mistakes and policies.

I never knew constant updates was a great thing. I remember before I got a PS3 and was looking into it how it was seen as such a negative from the xbox side the PS3 constantly has to update.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    So Sony is getting complacent because they didn't secure one FPS game?

Actually if you have read my earlier post you'll see I am talking about 2 topics. I have added a Topic 1 & 2 for you to catch up ;)

Topic 1) Is Sony being too complacent at the moment due to having a saless lead. We seem to be getting OS updates on XB1 every 3-4 weeks and already major announcements.

Topic 2) Could Sony miss a potentially great game like Titanfall again?
    _Redzer_ wrote: »
    I never knew constant updates was a great thing.
    LMAO, are you serious..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Davei141 wrote: »
    So you haven't even played it, but you are chiming in. This entire thread summed up in one post.

So I have to play a game to have an opinion on it? It was hyped to the hills and it has disappointed. It might be decent, but it's nothing special like it was supposed to be.

I just added that I have no desire to play it after watching some streams of it. The titans look annoying as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Actually if you have read my earlier post you'll see I am talking about 2 topics. I have added a Topic 1 & 2 for you to catch up ;)

You ignored the rest of his points.

I am talking about any new game (IP) that has potential and backers with exceptional game sales records. Will Sony embrace them or show them the door?

If the developer asks Sony "Can I have some information on the PS4?", I'd say Sony will probably say..."Eh, yeeeeah, sure". I can't see a repeat of that particular act of "complacence" being an issue, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I am not talking about Titanfall 2 :confused:

Titanfall 2 will be multi-platform release without a doubt If it doesn't die before hand *snigger

Step 1: Declare you're developing a Military FP shooter
    Step 2: Get moneyhatted by Microsoft
    Step 3: ????
    Step 4: PROFIT

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oat23 wrote: »
    So I have to play a game to have an opinion on it?

It's generally encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

So I have to play a game to have an opinion on it? It was hyped to the hills and it has disappointed. It might be decent, but it's nothing special like it was supposed to be.

I just added that I have no desire to play it after watching some streams of it. The titans look annoying as hell.

you have to play a game to have an opinion that actually matters

your mixing hype up with media
    only people hyping the game where the people who were promoting it (except for a few xbox fanboys who were using it in every argument)
    the game is not a disappointment to the people still currently playing it
    It may not be anything special but it sure is fun, easy to pick up and play for the casual gamers
    but then again you wouldnt know that, you have not played it :pac:

hype for a game would be like the hype for gta5, now that game was a disappointment in every way possible :pac: multiplayer was awfull, and single player was barely playable, thank god for the character trevor or I would of sold it the next day I bought it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

LMAO, are you serious..

The PS4 gets big updates every few weeks. I'm happy either way as it's doing what I want well, which is playing games.
    I don't get the massive big deal with numerous updates with incremental features.

You seem to argue from the point of apps, updates and Titanfall in a repeating circle.

I'm all about the games myself, so don't care about the former two in all honesty.
    I'd just like more games at the minute, and that'd go for MS too, not more apps and incremental updates. Large, beneficial updates are the ones I like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I really don't feel like getting dragged back into the Titanfall discussion. However sony have a pretty good reputation of taking chances on games that are potentially financially riskier so turning down titanfall is hardly a sign of complacency not a sign that sony were asleep at the wheel. We have no idea about how much money MS paid to keep titanfall off the PS4 and while I get the impression its a solid FPS, it wasn't the system seller MS were banking on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

To answer these questions. No I don't think Sony are becoming complacent because they declined an FPS game in a market full of FPS games. It was a mistake.

Could Sony miss another, I would say yes of course they will. The amount of games both Sony and Microsoft see must be phenomenal, of course both will miss some.

Just on your first point, just because they created one great game doesn't mean they will continue to do. I'm sure Microsoft bought Rare expecting Gold and that hasn't really worked out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's generally encouraged.

My opinion was that I simply have no interest in playing it after watching some streams of gameplay. Why do I need to play it to be allowed to state that?

I've never played NBA Live 14 either, but I know I don't want to. :pac:
    2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    you have to play a game to have an opinion that actually matters

your mixing hype up with media
    only people hyping the game where the people who were promoting it (except for a few xbox fanboys who were using it in every argument)
    the game is not a disappointment to the people still currently playing it
    It may not be anything special but it sure is fun, easy to pick up and play for the casual gamers
    but then again you wouldnt know that, you have not played it pacman.gif

I said as much in my last post. I'm sure it's a decent game but much more was expected of it by everyone because of the studio it came from.

They actually removed two playlists from PC because nobody was playing them. CTF and Pilot Hunter. There was 5 modes and a variety one apparently? The game only came out two months ago and they have had to remove two already because there simply isn't enough people playing the game. It might be good but I bet EA expected more. Therefore it is a disappointment.
    CTF and Pilot Hunter have not been widely used modes on the PC version. Players trying to access these modes had overlong wait times to find other users and it was making for a poor experience."
    http://www.titanfall.com/news/addressing-updates-to-pc-playlists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I wouldn't say they are disappointed. Titanfall was the top selling game in April for the second month in a row, in the US. Beating Ghosts, for a new IP, I'm sure they are very pleased.

And I believe NPD's don't take into account download copies.

Just because not enough people are playing a particular game type doesn't mean there isn't alot playing the other modes. I actually thought there were too many game modes but I still love the game, it was the perfect game for shooter fatigue, I wont be buying another fps for awhile now.

Also, Sony's finances. Although the gaming division is doing well, their profits will be used to bring the other divisions out of the red. So they will be reluctant to invest in triple A games, especially new IP from devs they have never worked with, so its very likely they would pass on future situations like Titanfall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My opinion was that I simply have no interest in playing it after watching some streams of gameplay. Why do I need to play it to be allowed to state that?

You're absolutely entitled to say you have no interest in playing it. It's a different thing entirely, however, to say "it was hyped to the hills and it has disappointed. It might be decent, but it's nothing special like it was supposed to be." That's making a definitive statement on the quality of the game - one conditional 'might' excepted - having not played it yourself. Gaming is not a passive experience, and watching a stream cannot give you the same experience as actually playing it :) A game exists to be played, after all, not watched.

In comparison, I've played 15-16 hours worth of Titanfall on the 360 and think it's fantastic fun - not a gamechanger (but then I never expected it to be), but a thoroughly enjoyable experience that I really look forward to dropping in to for a few games every day or two. I would not consider myself even remotely capable of being able to say the same thing if I had only watched a couple of videos of it. Other people have played and disliked or been disappointed Titanfall, and that's cool, they're entitled to that point of view based on their own time with the game. But I would like to think none of us are capable of issuing quality judgement on any game without having actually played it, especially one that has received just as much if not considerably more praise than it has moderate or negative responses.

As an aside, I also think it's troublesome to judge a game based on the hype, which is nothing more than a marketing construction that the gaming community is far too susceptible to. Much better to filter through all the pre-release nonsense & hyperbole and take the game on its own terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

rizzla wrote: »
    And I believe NPD's don't take into account download copies.

I think people are talking about (or, at least they should be) the XBO's NPD numbers rather than Titanfall's.

Microsoft purchased exclusivity on the game to push sales of their console and seeing as the PS4 has been the better selling console month-on-month according to those NPD figures, it doesn't look like it was the best investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

You're absolutely entitled to say you have no interest in playing it. It's a different thing entirely, however, to say "it was hyped to the hills and it has disappointed. It might be decent, but it's nothing special like it was supposed to be." That's making a definitive statement on the quality of the game - one conditional 'might' excepted - having not played it yourself. Gaming is not a passive experience, and watching a stream cannot give you the same experience as actually playing it :) A game exists to be played, after all, not watched.

In comparison, I've played 15-16 hours worth of Titanfall on the 360 and think it's fantastic fun - not a gamechanger (but then I never expected it to be), but a thoroughly enjoyable experience that I really look forward to dropping in to for a few games every day or two. I would not consider myself even remotely capable of being able to say the same thing if I had only watched a couple of videos of it. Other people have played and disliked or been disappointed Titanfall, and that's cool, they're entitled to that point of view based on their own time with the game. But I would like to think none of us are capable of issuing quality judgement on any game without having actually played it, especially one that has received just as much if not considerably more praise than it has moderate or negative responses.

As an aside, I also think it's troublesome to judge a game based on the hype, which is nothing more than a marketing construction that the gaming community is far too susceptible to. Much better to filter through all the pre-release nonsense & hyperbole and take the game on its own terms.

That one word sums up so much of this thread :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

People get awfully sensitive when they've laid down €400+ on a console and someone else says they made the wrong move.
    The right thing would be to ignore the idiots, but, more often than not, we respond and the debate turns into the same old bull.

Regarding Xbox One & PS4 I find the Xbox One offers the more superior multiplayer experience.

I consider the PS4 to be the better console for single player experiences. When I talk to many Playstation fans they reference single player games and indie games quite a bit as their reason for purchasing the PS4.

I am really liking that there is going to be a remastered 'The last of us' on PS4. I think I'll pick up a PS4 when it drops to €350.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    People get awfully sensitive when they've laid down €400+ on a console and someone else says they made the wrong move.
    The right thing would be to ignore the idiots, but, more often than not, we respond and the debate turns into the same old bull.

Are you saying that if you are of the opinion that the X1 & PS4 are overpriced and underpowered game consoles that people shouldn't buy you are an idiot?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement