Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Are you saying that if you are of the opinion that the X1 & PS4 are overpriced and underpowered game consoles that people shouldn't buy you are an idiot?

That's exactly what he is saying and he is specifically aiming it at you.

In the same manner I can also say about the above quoted text 'Are you saying that you support the racist agenda of the UKIP and enjoy eating baked beans in your underwear while watching sailor moon re-runs'. It's probably a complete fallacy and a strawman argument, but hey it's as bad as what you posted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Are you saying that if you are of the opinion that the X1 & PS4 are overpriced and underpowered game consoles that people shouldn't buy you are an idiot?

I think you just made my point.
    Thanks and good night
    Some of us are on duty in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Regarding Xbox One & PS4 I find the Xbox One offers the more superior multiplayer experience.

I consider the PS4 to be the better console for single player experiences. When I talk to many Playstation fans they reference single player games and indie games quite a bit as their reason for purchasing the PS4.

I am really liking that there is going to be a remastered 'The last of us' on PS4. I think I'll pick up a PS4 when it drops to €350.

Why do you think that ? What games does the Xbox have over ps4 in terms of MP. PS4 seems to have a really nice range of mp games on the way in the near future with:

Planetside 2 (FPS)
    H1Z1 (Survival)
    Driverclub (Racing)
    Everquest Next (MMO)
    Starbound (Sandbox adventure)
    Etc

Doesn't seem to be lack of variety on the PS4 in terms of MP. Lot of really good / potentially good games that are F2P aswel. Not entirely sure what's in the works for Xbox besides the usual gears/halo shooters, just don't really see lack of mp games as a weakness for the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Magill wrote: »
    Why do you think that ? What games does the Xbox have over ps4 in terms of MP.

I'll just save him the trouble.

Titanfall.

MS servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Grayditch wrote: »

Titanfall.

MS servers.

Cheers bud.

Also referred to as the Holy grail of FPS ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Titanfall.

MS servers.

Dem servers !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Titanfall.

MS servers.

haha good old ms servers! Some powa in the cloud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's exactly what he is saying and he is specifically aiming it at you.

In the same manner I can also say about the above quoted text 'Are you saying that you support the racist agenda of the UKIP and enjoy eating baked beans in your underwear while watching sailor moon re-runs'. It's probably a complete fallacy and a strawman argument, but hey it's as bad as what you posted.

Nope, I got burned by buying into the hype and purchasing one of these so called next gen consoles. I will continue to offer my opinion and advise people to build a PC or buy a WiiU.

Nope, I got burned by buying into the hype and purchasing one of these so called next gen consoles. I will continue to offer my opinion and advise people to build a PC or buy a WiiU.

Do you not realize they are only out 6 months? The Wii U didn't have a mind blowing line up either 6 months after it was out and no console ever has. I think most early adopters know this.

And I'd imagine people come here to choose between an Xbox and a PS4. DOn't really see what the Wii U or a PC has to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Do you not realize they are only out 6 months? The Wii U didn't have a mind blowing line up either 6 months after it was out and no console ever has. I think most early adopters know this.

And I'd imagine people come here to choose between an Xbox and a PS4. DOn't really see what the Wii U or a PC has to do with that.

It has to do a log as both of those option are more viable then ever. I am no wii u fan ( shocking I know, who knew!), but even I see wii u being a strong option right now. Even stronger, then other 2 big boys, if you already own Pc.
    As for Pc: considering that both big consoles are just running on lower quality pc ports, then why not get a proper pc instead? Specially when pc is in its golden age and costs less in a long run, and has multimedia aspect to it, which both consoles lacking like ****.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can't think of a sinner, aside from those here, who could give a rats behind about servers.
    All they care about are the games and I'd say any dichotomy in online performance will be addressed as it has become so important.
    But I think its important like the 0-60 time is important in a car, it will only matter for a few but for many of the rest it's more for bragging, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

MS has done a lot of backtracking in those 6 months. Six months and already MS have dropped the Kinect which they said was integral to the X1 experience. Six months and both consoles have crappy resolutions & FPS when realistically they should be doing 1080p 60fps as standard, something which was standard on PC 5 years ago.

This was discussed already and mods allowed posters to talk about them. The OPs question is PS4 or X1?, and my answer is neither.

It has to do a log as both of those option are more viable then ever. I am no wii u fan ( shocking I know, who knew!), but even I see wii u being a strong option right now. Even stronger, then other 2 big boys, if you already own Pc.
    As for Pc: considering that both big consoles are just running on lower quality pc ports, then why not get a proper pc instead? Specially when pc is in its golden age and costs less in a long run, and has multimedia aspect to it, which both consoles lacking like ****.

Unfortunately most don't see the Wii U as an option at all. Graphics on par with last gen consoles PS3/360 and nearly all 3rd party games not being released on it. Why would you say that's a better option than the PS4/XB1 especially if Mario and the like don't appeal to you?

Just recently it was announced Far Cry 4, new batman, assassin creed, next metal gear solid, pretty much all ea and activision games.
    And even games like this that you'd think would be most suited to the wii u are not coming out for it.

I honestly cannot see why you would recommend the Wii U over a PS4/XB1 that's going to get loads of exclusives and pretty much all the best 3rd party games. Oh and if you intend on playing with your friends you'll likely not be getting a Wii U.

MS has done a lot of backtracking in those 6 months. Six months and already MS have dropped the Kinect which they said was integral to the X1 experience. Six months and both consoles have crappy resolutions & FPS when realistically they should be doing 1080p 60fps as standard, something which was standard on PC 5 years ago.

This was discussed already and mods allowed posters to talk about them. The OPs question is PS4 or X1?, and my answer is neither.

I understand MS made a lot of mistakes but it's still way more powerful than the Wii U so even on it's weakest aspect it beats the Wii U. In 2 years it's games library will be much better considering the exclusives and 3rd party support it will get.

And PS4 will be even better by the looks of it. The online multiplayer is also much better on both consoles. Yes PC is great and I've got one that plays most games but honestly I ever bother anymore. Prefer chilling out on a couch playing with my mates. And a lot of console games won't come out on pc so you would miss out if you only had that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I honestly cannot see why you would recommend the Wii U over a PS4/XB1 that's going to get loads of exclusives and pretty much all the best 3rd party games. Oh and if you intend on playing with your friends you'll likely not be getting a Wii U.

Given the context he used ie if you have a pc, the wiiU is the console to have because honestly what console exclusives are worthy of forking out €400 for a console? the wiiU gives far more unique games in comparrison to the others

Almost every multiplat will be better on pc in terms of resolution and fps and as for friends playing wiiU actually has local multiplayer games which ive yet to see many on the release list for the xbo/ps4

NTMK wrote: »
    Given the context he used ie if you have a pc, the wiiU is the console to have because honestly what console exclusives are worthy of forking out €400 for a console? the wiiU gives far more unique games in comparrison to the others

Almost every multiplat will be better on pc in terms of resolution and fps and as for friends playing wiiU actually has local multiplayer games which ive yet to see many on the release list for the xbo/ps4

The gaming PC I have is actually worse than playing games on a PS4 and I won't be upgrading it. I love Sony's exclusives (mostly) so I couldn't do without it. SOny have the most 1st party studious of the big 3 and you can tell jusding by the amount of games they pump out.

And nearly all my friends game on xbox or playstation. I found it hard trying to make friends on the pc when i don't actually know them in real life. just not my kind of thing.

The gaming PC I have is actually worse than playing games on a PS4 and I won't be upgrading it. I love Sony's exclusives (mostly) so I couldn't do without it. SOny have the most 1st party studious of the big 3 and you can tell jusding by the amount of games they pump out.

And nearly all my friends game on xbox or playstation. I found it hard trying to make friends on the pc when i don't actually know them in real life. just not my kind of thing.

Nintendo and sony have the same amount Nintendo have more if you count all the porting/engine studios

I used to hold Sony exclusives in high regard but their first party studios are fairly meh these are the studios worth talking about imo
    • Team Ico – Havent produced a title in the best part of a decade im not holding my breath for last guardian
    • Polyphony Digital last good GT game they produced was GT4
    • Naughty Dog One of the best studios but Uncharted is not a system seller for me
    • SCE Santa Monica Studio God of War- meh
    • Sucker Punch Productions - Decent studio not dying to play infamous
    • Evolution Studios – Decent dev but Drive club is of unknown quality atm
    • Guerrilla Games – Sony's Bungie/343i equivalent
    Sonys exclusives dominance came from controlling third party exclusives through its massive market share and japans dominance in game development. since then they lost their market share and most of japans devs have either gone multiplat of are focusing on handheld due to development costs

I use my pc for gaming with friends online and the wiiu for local play as the wiiU destroys the others in that regard

honestly what console exclusives are worthy of forking out €400 for a console

Collectively on each, ... loads. And people layed down €300 for Nintendo's exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Cheers bud.

Also referred to as the Holy grail of FPS ;)

I haven't been checking this thread out for a long time. Clicked on it yesterday and as I was doing it, I said to myself I bet FAILSAFE is still talking utter rubbish about Titanfall. Low and behold. You seriously need to wake up to the realization that Titanfall is not the revolution MS, EA and Respawn tried to make it out to be. It is not a console seller. If that game is the holy grail of FPS then first person shooters is in an awful rut at the moment.

I've bought neither the Xbox One nor the PS4. Still don't see a reason to buy either yet.

What a pretty crappy start to the next gen of console gaming.

There are load of great games out for both Xbox One and PS4 if you are as fortunate to have a varied taste and fortunate enough to have the money to buy them. I'm usually just the former.

I spent hours the other day trying to convince people I was not an octopus, and just a regular father. It was brilliant. Well worth 13 (s)quid.

Honestly, I guess if you're only into your AAA exclusives, yeah, then neither console is up to much.

• Advertisement

Nintendo and sony have the same amount Nintendo have more if you count all the porting/engine studios

I used to hold Sony exclusives in high regard but their first party studios are fairly meh these are the studios worth talking about imo
    • Team Ico – Havent produced a title in the best part of a decade im not holding my breath for last guardian
    • Polyphony Digital last good GT game they produced was GT4
    • Naughty Dog One of the best studios but Uncharted is not a system seller for me
    • SCE Santa Monica Studio God of War- meh
    • Sucker Punch Productions - Decent studio not dying to play infamous
    • Evolution Studios – Decent dev but Drive club is of unknown quality atm
    • Guerrilla Games – Sony's Bungie/343i equivalent
    Sonys exclusives dominance came from controlling third party exclusives through its massive market share and japans dominance in game development. since then they lost their market share and most of japans devs have either gone multiplat of are focusing on handheld due to development costs

I use my pc for gaming with friends online and the wiiu for local play as the wiiU destroys the others in that regard

You forgot Naughty dog made the last of us, and they've a good few more studios than you never listed plus a ton of indies making exclusives.

And you should have said they lost their market share but are now taking it back. Outselling MS over 2:1 wordlwide and the Wii U about 4:1. It only took it 4 months to pass out the Wii U in total sales.

They're back with a bang and I'd argue them continually releasing good 1st party games right up to the ps4 releasing has swayed a lot of gamers to stick with sony or return to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Otacon wrote: »
    Microsoft purchased exclusivity on the game to push sales of their console...it doesn't look like it was the best investment.

Not necessarily. Many of the early adopters would have been gamers who were buying it on the basis that Titanfall would be out in a few months. I don't know what they were hoping for so maybe it underperformed but I'd say it still helped them sell plenty of Xboxes.

C14N wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Many of the early adopters would have been gamers who were buying it on the basis that Titanfall would be out in a few months. I don't know what they were hoping for so maybe it underperformed but I'd say it still helped them sell plenty of Xboxes.

They only sold around 3 million xboxs before it came out so i'd say nearly all of those were the hardcore fans that would have gotten it anyway. It certainly did nothing for sales since it came out so i'd say it failed. Sales on the 360 are very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

There are load of great games out for both Xbox One and PS4 if you are as fortunate to have a varied taste and fortunate enough to have the money to buy them. I'm usually just the former.

I spent hours the other day trying to convince people I was not an octopus, and just a regular father. It was brilliant. Well worth 13 (s)quid.

Honestly, I guess if you're only into your AAA exclusives, yeah, then neither console is up to much.

There's enough of what you said for me to play on my PS3, PC and Vita. In maybe the new year it might be the time to buy one of these consoles but with there being plenty to keep me busy on old gen I don't see any point in buying that.

Collectively on each, ... loads. And people layed down €300 for Nintendo's exclusives.

collectively ya eventually but in the near future before christmas 2015 the consoles dont have many games a pc player couldnt find an equally good alternative for

WiiU does have that in platformers and Local Multiplayer games which the XBO/PS4 dont seem intrested

WiiU is the best second platform to have. I wouldnt attempt to argue for the idea of having the WiiU as your only console due to its barren 3rd party line up

If the games are great and they can't be had anywhere else then any money is worth it.
    I spent the guts of 400 on a Nuon with only one game worth having, Tempest 3000.
    Worth every cent it was too!
    3DO the same, never ruled the world but had a decent selection of exclusives at the time and worth the investment.
    And €400 really isn't that much over the lifespan of the machine, in terms of return of unique experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Why do people feel the need to call the Xbox One an SKU these days? Is it on trend as a TLA or summat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And €400 really isn't that much over the lifespan of the machine, in terms of return of unique experiences.

Not really, no. I ended up with all 3 last time myself but I get the feeling most people just buy 1 and while whichever one you pick will probably serve you well in the long run, if you're concerned about getting the "best" one it's just much smarter to wait it out. With the information on each being as limited as it is you'd might as well pick one by flipping a coin at this point.

You forgot Naughty dog made the last of us, and they've a good few more studios than you never listed plus a ton of indies making exclusives.

They've a few but not many making games of note. A last of Us sequel hasnt been announced so for next gen its Uncharted atm
    Most of the PS4's Indie games are being released on PC
    And you should have said they lost their market share but are now taking it back. Outselling MS over 2:1 wordlwide and the Wii U about 4:1. It only took it 4 months to pass out the Wii U in total sales.
    Their market share pre ps3 was about 5:1 on their competitors they're never regaining that and Devs arent going to turn down the Xbox one because it only sold 4mill units in 6 months espically at the cost of development now.

its also very early days yet for these consoles 7 years ago sony were getting slaughtered by the Xbox and recovered MS have the financial muscle to do the same
    They're back with a bang and I'd argue them continually releasing good 1st party games right up to the ps4 releasing has swayed a lot of gamers to stick with sony or return to them.

What swayed opinion more was MS ****ing up and with the exception of TLOU 1st parties havent done too much in the way of Killer titles.

TGC did more than most at selling the ps3 and sonys exclusivity contract with them is over

• Advertisement

I think Sony have played a blinder with exclusives over the lifespans of all their home consoles over the last 20 years.
    While you'd have missed out on a lot of great great stuff on other formats you'd probably not have the time to play all the gaming goodness on the PS, PS2 and PS3.
    I know shelves are jam packed with great titles.
    I don't see the PS4 as being any different.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement