Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The difference here though is that it marks a notable step back for a content rich series. The consensus is that Forza 5 is a significantly 'smaller' game than its direct predecessor, with the full content hidden behind a paywall. Now I'm very much of the opinion many games are overloaded with content, but I've spoken to a Forza producer personally back before the last game and he was constantly emphasising their goal was to provide the player with a content rich experience so they could be constantly experimenting and deciding on their own style. I get the impression that is why fans loved the games so much: they were generous, massive, almost obsessive simulators right out of the box (DLC were extras for the truly committed, further down the line). Now, you have to pay for those privileges, on top of an already significant initial expense: that's a serious kick in the teeth for players, and Forza fans are left with an inferior, more cynical game.

It's easy to say don't pay for DLC (and really people shouldn't), but several of the first wave of Xbox One titles seems to be actively punishing those who don't which is pretty disgraceful. Hopefully gamers will recognise it and Microsoft will learn a lesson quickly here. It'd be a shame if other games are crippled because of this rather nasty new approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Hopefully gamers will recognise it and Microsoft will learn a lesson quickly here.

Fingers crossed! The backlash will only become apparent through lack of purchase though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grayditch wrote: »
    "Don't buy it" is fair enough, but people are entitled to complain about this nasty practice sneaking into games.

I suppose it should be noted that the game was free for a lot of people, so that would have hit profits, surely. I don't know how MS have worked it out.

Exactly, "don't buy it" is more of a head in a sand approach. Complain about it and **** will get be done, we sow it already.
    I am pretty sure the reason its so heavy on day on dlc is the free factor. Its all grand for those who got it for free on launch, but for others its a stupid amount of money on purchase to have all content. And sorry, I don't fecking buy it this time, that all that dlc was done after the base game and its budget bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm going to not buy the DLC and also complain about it.

I've got no beef with that. It's the half measures I take issue with, the complaining people who still buy it

• Advertisement

Well, my "xbox one fund" with 20eu in it have changed to "Lego budget for 2014" thanks to the DLC news.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭titan18

COYVB wrote: »
    I've got no beef with that. It's the half measures I take issue with, the complaining people who still buy it

Some DLC is good value though and worth getting, so even if you buy that and ignore the crap, companies will still release the crap as they see other DLC selling well.

Is there stuff on the actual Forza disc, that you absolutely cannot access without paying more than the price of the game?

would anyone be interested in an access all areas style ps4 live stream (as in the UI, settings, how everything works etc, not the streaming of gameplay, of which there are a bajillion videos already out there) if i set one up? *note to mods: this will be on my own private twitch account, and isn't traffic or view hunting, nor shilling anything i'm involved in - the purpose is 2 pronged: 1) to let me show people whatever they want on the PS4, and 2) to let me get a bit of practice in with the fiddly nature of streaming the PS4 outside of the built-in twitch stuff

I'd probably look at kicking it off in half an hour or so if that worked for people? only if there's interest though

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I wont be around but id be interested in watching a recording. Sites twitch just do live vids?

• Advertisement

It archives too so you'll be able to watch it back

Just be dressed.... That's all :pac:

ahah i wont be in the video, count yourself lucky!

almost got it up and running. the ps4 has hdcp on it, which makes it a serious, serious nuisance to capture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

COYVB wrote: »

I only buy DLC I like and I think will be worth it like TLOU DLC. Anything else I'd probably be too tight to waste money on.

right, sadly, im struggling to figure this out. not gonna happen today anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Polygon's piece on which Console to buy infuriated me so much just because that dork Chris Grant came on pretending (poorly) to be impartial when bummng the xbone

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Polygon's piece on which Console to buy infuriated me so much just because that dork Chris Grant came on pretending (poorly) to be impartial when bummng the xbone

Wasn't he already called out to biggest Microsoft ball licker and complete **** head already?
    Poligon is MS bitch. Your man is damn annoying even to look at.

This is the problem with current gaming journalism. Most journalist are dependant from publishers and developers. Remember those game journalist rewards? Sponsored by who? Eh? It was a total bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I usually end up buying it and complaining about it :(
    In fairness, I only buy it in games that I really like and feel were well worth the money. It is shíte when a game has less content than before, but has DLC straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I remember reading somewhere that Day one DLC (or close enough) usually comes from content that was cut from the game, while DLC that comes out later was probably budgeted for and developed separably.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I remember reading somewhere that Day one DLC (or close enough) usually comes from content that was cut from the game, while DLC that comes out later was probably budgeted for and developed separably.
    That's a good rule of thumb, but I'd say there'd be times where stuff that doesn't have time to be finished could get done in the time between a game going gold and it being available for release. I wouldn't be able to say how often it's that and not the other though.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but I am not eating that **** muffin in forza 5 case. Not that I would eat it on any day one dlc...

I don't really know, I never bought DLC, but i'm tempted to get "The missing link" for Deus Ex III and some characters for Injustice.

in an unrelated story, we had about 30ish people waiting outside a certain toy shop where i work Thursday night from just after 11 to get the damn thing.

For the Deus Ex DLC?!

:pac:

What?? *looks around suspiciously* I loved that game

Deus Ex is a great game. I can't think of the DLC on its own merits as it was quite a long time ago I played it and played it at the same time I went through the campaign itself. It must have been at least as good as the main game itself. People who never bought any DLC would definitely have missed out somewhere along the lines in something they've played. Though, by the same token, could have bought in to something nobody should really accept. I can look to Dragon Age Origins on both counts. That game came out with some terrible DLC, but if anyone here has played DAO and has not played Awakening, they are really missing out. Really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Wasn't he already called out to biggest Microsoft ball licker and complete **** head already?
    Poligon is MS bitch. Your man is damn annoying even to look at.

This is the problem with current gaming journalism. Most journalist are dependant from publishers and developers. Remember those game journalist rewards? Sponsored by who? Eh? It was a total bull****.

Not surprising when Polygon has been bankrolled by Microsoft in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Very impressed with Killer Instinct, the trails and tutorials were awesome and the online netcode seems excellent. Don't like the fact the One won't allow the two arcade sticks I own for the 360 to be used though... thats a bitter pill.
    Still I had no intention of getting a one and this game has actually made me look at the system a little more favorably. Heard the PS4 and Vita bundle rumour for Christmas though... that could be a killer idea from Sony.

The housemate has grabbed a One and looking ahead at the release schedule for the two new systems until april/march. I am seriously considering getting a
    WiiU

let the good times roll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

The ps4's exclusives are pretty poor tbh.

http://imgur.com/3uZQpxB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nolars wrote: »
    The ps4's exclusives are pretty poor tbh.

http://imgur.com/3uZQpxB

That is a bit of a outdated list from 5 months ago, here is a updated one from a few pages back

imagewssta.jpg

• Advertisement

I want to see how good The Order* turns out to be for the PS4. Uncharted isn't on the list, but I'm looking forward to it. They'll also be getting Tales of games, and there's a rumour of a Ni No Kuni 2. Given time, I expect I'll get a lot of time out of the PS4. For the One, it has more games I want to see more of right off the bat. I'd like to see more on Quantum Break* and D4*.

In terms of launch, then, the One has two games I want to see more of to the 1 on the PS4, but with the PS4 I already know other titles that'll be out later on in the generation. What we don't know is how good will the exclusives be for the rest of the gen. I think it a safe bet they'll get plenty of great exclusives but give it at least a year to really try to think about where they are/look to be going with exclusives.

(*Those 3 games I want to see more of aren't 100% purchases right now, just ones I want to see more of to figure out if they warrant purchase or not.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement