Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    While you'd have missed out on a lot of great great stuff on other formats you'd probably not have the time to play all the gaming goodness on the PS, PS2 and PS3.

I would disagree on the PS3. While it was a great console in the long run, for the first year or two PS3 owners didn't have much while the Wii and 360 players were spoiled for choice. The PS1 and 2 both dominated in their days but I feel like now that Microsoft had such success with the 360 that the days of one console stealing the market like that are behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

I don't think the PS3 was as good on exclusives as their consoles in the past to be honest, I'm an Xbox player and the only games I felt I lost out on were The Last of Us and Demon Souls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem these days is that it's not viable for 3rd parties to offer exclusive games unless they are bankrolled by the hardware manufacturer. We'll see even less exclusives this gen than last. Sony are pretty good, second only to Nintendo for the amount of first party developers they have. However Sony can be a bit hit and miss with their releases. I find a lot of their stuff from santa monica, sucker punch and especially Guerrilla games to be uninspired or just downright drivel in the case of the later. Their japanese internal developers do make a lot of very innovative games which can miss the mark but more often than not are great and I'd take them over another infamous any day. It's a great way to increase the variety of the software available for the system.

MS on the other hand seem to just bankroll devs or else produce crowd pleasers. They really need to do a lot more to convince me although D4 hopefully shows a shift towards more interesting titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The problem these days is that it's not viable for 3rd parties to offer exclusive games unless they are bankrolled by the hardware manufacturer. We'll see even less exclusives this gen than last. Sony are pretty good, second only to Nintendo for the amount of first party developers they have. However Sony can be a bit hit and miss with their releases. I find a lot of their stuff from santa monica, sucker punch and especially Guerrilla games to be uninspired or just downright drivel in the case of the later. Their japanese internal developers do make a lot of very innovative games which can miss the mark but more often than not are great and I'd take them over another infamous any day. It's a great way to increase the variety of the software available for the system.

MS on the other hand seem to just bankroll devs or else produce crowd pleasers. They really need to do a lot more to convince me although D4 hopefully shows a shift towards more interesting titles.

I don't agree that they are uninspired. I think all three studios you mentioned made good games for the last generation with their respective IP's (and I include KZ2 in my list of good games). The problem for me has been a lacking innovation in their sequesl. GoW Ascension, inFamous2 and KZ3 were all sequels from pretty good predecessors but they really didn't do enough with the IP to make them feel fresh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't think the PS3 was as good on exclusives as their consoles in the past to be honest, I'm an Xbox player and the only games I felt I lost out on were The Last of Us and Demon Souls.

Sure the PS3 is cheap as chips now, why not jump in and play those titles you've missed?
    Demons Souls and TLoU are pretty damn good.
    But there's other curiosities that didn't sell loads, and you can get them for their peanuts, Puppeteer for example.
    I know it's free right now on PSN+, and it's not without its faults but it is a beautiful beautiful game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Journey too

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Sure the PS3 is cheap as chips now, why not jump in and play those titles you've missed?
    Demons Souls and TLoU are pretty damn good.
    But there's other curiosities that didn't sell loads, and you can get them for their peanuts, Puppeteer for example.
    I know it's free right now on PSN+, and it's not without its faults but it is a beautiful beautiful game.

I'm thinking of making the jump to PS4 later in the summer and getting the remastered version of the last of us then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

But I think its important like the 0-60 time is important in a car, it will only matter for a few but for many of the rest it's more for bragging, is it not?

Low ping has to do with bragging and only matters to a few??? Seriously?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

Can't understand people buying consoles.

Exclusives? People are willing to fork out nearly 500 quid now to play Halo 5 in a year and a half from now?! To each his own but it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

4Dlolz wrote: »

Exclusives? People are willing to fork out nearly 500 quid now to play Halo 5 in a year and a half from now?! To each his own but it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me.

It's not like that person will only buy Halo 5...

Surely exclusives are as big a reason as any to buy a console. For me they would be top priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Its pretty simple really.. Its hassle free.

I bought my PS4 (also own a PC) simple because its handy to be able to sit down on my sofa and play something without having the hassle of using a Keyboard and mouse.

Its simple more comfortable (for me)

tok9 wrote: »
    It's not like that person will only buy Halo 5...

Surely exclusives are as big a reason as any to buy a console. For me they would be top priority.

Fair enough. Just looking for other opinions. For me, even if Xbox One had, say, 3 decent and noteworthy exclusives by 2016/17 - is 600 quid worth it? Not for me. But to each, his own. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

miju wrote: »

The problem is, most people that talk about these servers are absolutely clueless about what its actually benefiting and put everything down to the "Servers".

Take Titanfall for example, i see a lot of people claiming that these servers are the reason for its relatively smooth gameplay. They don't realise that much of it has to do with the Engine and the Netcode for the game, since most of the console guys are probably only really used to CoD (P2P hosting) and BF (Probably some of the worst hit detection in any shooter). Jumping on a source engine game with dedicated servers probably seems like a massive jump. The difference between 10-40 ping is negligible...

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Its pretty simple really.. Its hassle free.

I bought my PS4 (also own a PC) simple because its handy to be able to sit down on my sofa and play something without having the hassle of using a Keyboard and mouse.

Its simple more comfortable (for me)

I was the same as you but I found a work-around.

I wanted the raw power of a PC with the comfort a console gives you (sitting on the sofa). So I bought a PC that far exceeds the XB1/PS4, downloaded Steams Big Picture as a dashboard and installed a wireless Xbox 360 controller on my PC.

Now my PC is the centre of my living room and I operate it from the comfort of my sofa. :)

I can understand some reasons as to why people may opt for a console over a PC but in this day and age with all that the PC has to offer you - cheap as chips games, free movies, free TV, emulators (I play Wii games on my PC and all the Halo games, PS2 and PS3 games FREE), Everything is FREE. EVERYTHING.

Then you have XBMC that launches when you turn on your PC. You never have to even see the Windows screen ever again. PC's do everything you could possibly want them to do and everything at the fraction of the cost. You have mods galore, open source communities. The thing with PC's though is you just need to know how to use them and how to get the best out of them.

But when you do, consoles are completely redundant and to be quite honest with you, a rip-off. You're being fleeced by these corporations by drip feeding you old technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

miju wrote: »

Do you always misinterpret what people say and post an incredulous question afterwards??? Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I wanted the raw power of a PC with the comfort a console gives you (sitting on the sofa). So I bought a PC that far exceeds the XB1/PS4, downloaded Steams Big Picture as a dashboard and installed a wireless Xbox 360 controller on my PC.

Now my PC is the centre of my living room and I operate it from the comfort of my sofa. :)

I can understand some reasons as to why people may opt for a console over a PC but in this day and age with all that the PC has to offer you - cheap as chips games, free movies, free TV, emulators (I play Wii games on my PC and all the Halo games, PS2 and PS3 games FREE), Everything is FREE. EVERYTHING.

Then you have XBMC that launches when you turn on your PC. You never have to even see the Windows screen ever again. PC's do everything you could possibly want them to do and everything at the fraction of the cost. You have mods galore, open source communities. The thing with PC's though is you just need to know how to use them and how to get the best out of them.

But when you do, consoles are completely redundant and to be quite honest with you, a rip-off. You're being fleeced by these corporations by drip feeding you old technology.

Yeah great, good for you.

Think I'll head back to playing TLOU now. Maybe some couch multiplayer double dash later on again in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I can't think of a sinner, aside from those here, who could give a rats behind about servers.
    All they care about are the games and I'd say any dichotomy in online performance will be addressed as it has become so important.
    But I think its important like the 0-60 time is important in a car, it will only matter for a few but for many of the rest it's more for bragging, is it not?

You must not know many multiplayer gamers. It's the one thing I have heard consistently for years while playing games.

For an online multiplayer game good servers are so important. No point having great multiplayer games and **** servers.

All that is just extra hassle though..
    I don't want to have you buy extra bits and install extra programs just so i can play some games in comfort.

I also don't want to have a big PC in the middle of my living room.

_Redzer_ wrote: »

Think I'll head back to playing TLOU now. Maybe some couch multiplayer double dash later on again in the day

One word, emulators.

:cool:
    Mr Blobby wrote: »
    All that is just extra hassle though..
    I don't want to have you buy extra bits and install extra programs just so i can play some games in comfort.

I also don't want to have a big PC in the middle of my living room.

Saving massive amounts of money and not satisfying the rip-off merchants by buying their ancient technology is too much hassle?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

_Redzer_ wrote: »

PS3 emulation is not far off and Double Dash can be played through Dolphin. As for exclusives, PC destroys consoles every time.

• Advertisement

One word, emulators.

:cool:

Saving massive amounts of money and not satisfying the rip-off merchants by buying their ancient technology is too much hassle?!

Why buy an xbox controller... when you can buy a whole xbox and spend twice as much on games ! /logic

PS3 emulation is not far off and Double Dash can be played through Dolphin. As for exclusives, PC destroys consoles every time.

This is the problem. The console masses don't even understand the concept that PC's can emulate Wii, Xbox and Playstation. It's exactly what I was talking about.....A PC gives you sooooo much for soooo little...BUT, you MUST know how to use it.

Once you do, you realise just how badly you're being fleeced by these corporations.

They've broken through with the 360 emulators too.

Halo 4 coming to PC soon. :D

Thing is, I would love to be given this information when my eyes were wide shut. But the blinded brainwashed masses don't want to see it. Such is their delusion, they actually defend this console crap.

Just what the corporations want you to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

That's lovely. Can you go away now?

I'll say it again.. All more hassle i don't want.
    Also there's plenty of exclusives that i enjoy on consoles which are simple can't be played on PC.

And i have a PC already so you don't need to preach to me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

maximoose wrote: »
    That's lovely. Can you go away now?

Didn't take long for the d1ck-waving PC master race to get here....

Fieldog wrote: »

Its a bit sad really :pac:

Why do people get so upset when PC gamers mention features available on the platform ? Retro has said its fine to discuss PC/Wii-U on this thread since they're direct competition with the PS4/XB1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Fieldog wrote: »

I was really hoping he'd go with sheeple instead of blinded brainwashed masses. That would have made me feel more special…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

As regards online multiplayer with consoles, is their anyone here that could not be bothered with it and have never used it, or am I in some sort of minority?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement