Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well the Kinect is not getting discontinued and Phil Spencer reckons that they will actually have more Xbox Ones with Kinect with their new strategy.
    "We are not discontinuing Kinect or support for it. We still have a whole team of folks working on that. But we want to give everybody who would like to get in on the Xbox One action an opportunity," Hryb said.

"In the long run, I think we'll actually end up with more Xbox Ones with Kinect out there with this strategy," Spencer said.

"If consumers choose that they don't want Kinect, or they want to add it later, we're going to make that available. But this is about a continuum and in the end, I hope everyone sees that the experience with Kinect is the best Xbox One experience," Spencer added.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-we-are-not-discontinuing-kinect/1100-6419728/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I am looking forward to this years E3 animated gifs.

I got such a laugh out of the antonio banderas gifs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Xenji wrote: »
    Well the Kinect is not getting discontinued and Phil Spencer reckons that they will actually have more Xbox Ones with Kinect with their new strategy.

Lolz.

1. Force it on people wanting the Xbox One.
    2. Release nothing for it.
    3. Tell them it has to remain on.
    4. Release nothing for it.
    5. Tell them, "ok now it doesn't need to remain on".
    6. Release nothing for it.
    7. Plan an Xbox One model without 'integral' Kinect.
    8. Release nothing for it.
    9. Tell people more Xbox's will have Kinect than not.
    10. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Maybe more people would use Kinect if there were just a few games on it that couldn't, without any fear of disagreement, be called "shovelware".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Grayditch wrote: »
    Lolz.

10. Be grand.

to be fair to them its not awful logic multiple skus do quite well as it offers choice. say €399 for console on its own and €450 for kinect model, i personally would have went with the kinect model just out of shear curiousity

They should have done it at launch imo

The **** show that has gone on about it is down to MS' policy change and new direction. and i personally wont be complaining if MS continue to make positive moves

• Advertisement

Call me fickle, but MS haven't been getting it right enough for me for feel comfortable buying an Xbox One. It started woefully, but then, and maybe I'm being unfair or too hard to please, turned kinda desperate.

Microsoft at E3
    Mr-Burns.gif

Microsoft now.
    Gil.gif

I want an Xbox One, and steps the right direction are being taken, but I'll be waiting a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

In fairness what he says makes absolutely no sense unless he believes not only will everyone with an Xbox one get a kinect but some will actually get a second one! :P

tok9 wrote: »
    In fairness what he says makes absolutely no sense unless he believes not only will everyone with an Xbox one get a kinect but some will actually get a second one! :P

I can see how it makes sense in a way. Basically they're saying that the lower price will get more people in the door and once they've spent the €400 on the console and they see how "great" the Kinect is, they''ll be tempted to buy it too where before they never would have gone near the thing in the first place.

Lolz.

10. Be grand.

I agree with some of your points and disagree with others.
    1. Force it on people wanting the Xbox One. - - Agree, bad move but I was happy with the Kinect after buying it
    2. Release nothing for it. - Kinect Sports rivals & Zoo Tycoon.
    3. Tell them it has to remain on. - That was pre-launch.
    4. Release nothing for it. - See no.2 ^
    5. Tell them, "ok now it doesn't need to remain on". - Again since launch you could use the Xbox One without Kinect.
    6. Release nothing for it. - sigh, see no.2 - you'd swear the Kinect has been out for 2 years.
    7. Plan an Xbox One model without 'integral' Kinect. - Since day one we could use the console without the Kinect.
    8. Tell people more Xbox's will have Kinect than not. - I'd agree with their statement. When people who own an Xbox One without Kinect try it or see all the functions of the Kinect I am confident that they will buy it.
    9. Be grand.

While its a shame we aren't seeing any major gaming use of Kinect 2.0 its still very early days and many Xbox One owners are really like using the Kinect from all its other functions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

C14N wrote: »
    I can see how it makes sense in a way. Basically they're saying that the lower price will get more people in the door and once they've spent the €400 on the console and they see how "great" the Kinect is, they''ll be tempted to buy it too where before they never would have gone near the thing in the first place.

there's a huge, gaping, hole in that logic though, isn't there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

1. Force it on people wanting the Xbox One. - - Agree, bad move but I was happy with the Kinect after buying it
    5. Tell them, "ok now it doesn't need to remain on". - Again since launch you could use the Xbox One without Kinect.
    6. Release nothing for it. - sigh, see no.2 - you'd swear the Kinect has been out for 2 years.
    7. Plan an Xbox One model without 'integral' Kinect. - Since day one we could use the console without the Kinect.
    8. Tell people more Xbox's will have Kinect than not. - I'd agree with their statement. When people who own an Xbox One without Kinect try it or see all the functions of the Kinect I am confident that they will buy it.
    9. Be grand.

While its a shame we aren't seeing any major gaming use of Kinect 2.0 its still very early days and many Xbox One owners are really like using the Kinect from all its other functions.

Kinect sports has been done 4 years ago. They haven't proven in all these years that kinect can contribute to proper games, and tbh, they won't either. It's for voice commands and casual games like that.

That's why kinect isn't a compelling device and so many are happy it's now optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

{...}
    Release nothing for it. - Kinect Sports rivals & Zoo Tycoon.
    {...}

I don't think Zoo Tycoon is really for Kinect 2.0, most of the uses seem to be for alternative game modes or social media. As for Kinect Sports Rivals, the overall consensus seems to be that it was a rushed mess and a disappointment compared to the first Kinect Sports (which also wasn't a resounding success iirc).
    Microsoft really dropped the ball not having more games available taking advantage of the Kinect 2.0, particularly as they could, ostensibly, have produced a few games for the Kinect 1.0 and made them exclusively for the X1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really liked the dance central games...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

I do love me some Kinect, despite being against it for so long without trying it

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really liked the dance central games...

:pac:

For fitness I'm guessing? Some people are mad into it for that reason.

1. Release nothing for it. - Kinect Sports rivals & Zoo Tycoon.

Ryse has sold more than 4 times those game sales combined. And everyone with an Xbox has a Kinect, right now.

Sure we'll see how many developers are flocking to create software for it, now that it's off the chain. Kinect is about to wither and die, while the XBox gets stronger. I'm happy, and closer to getting one.

gg55502536.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

You're all forgetting about the tour de force that was Fighter Within.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    :pac:

For fitness I'm guessing? Some people are mad into it for that reason.

If only coming back from the pub after a few gallons of booze and making a tit of yourself counts as fitness.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Kinect sports has been done 4 years ago. They haven't proven in all these years that kinect can contribute to proper games, and tbh, they won't either. It's for voice commands and casual games like that.

That's why kinect isn't a compelling device and so many are happy it's now optional.

Kinect Sports Rivals is actually really great fun and works great with the Kinect. I think we will eventually see the integration of Kinect 2.0 with a 3D device.

I think motion controls are not enough by themselves.

I am happy that the PS4 and XB1 are now the same price. It makes things very interesting now.

maximoose wrote: »
    You're all forgetting about the tour de force that was Fighter Within.

There are some things better left unsaid :'(

• Advertisement

Sure we'll see how many developers are flocking to create software for it, now that it's off the chain. Kinect is about to wither and die, while the XBox gets stronger. I'm happy, and closer to getting one.

You could get a small studio looking to make a name for themselves.

Whether or not we see anything gaming related for Kinect 2 doesn't really matter to me because I utilise the Kinect for all its other features.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If only coming back from the pub after a few gallons of booze and making a tit of yourself counts as fitness.

That too, coupled with singstar :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

C14N wrote: »

Oh ya I said it a bit tongue in cheek to be honest. I know what he's trying to say but what he actually says makes no sense at least in the context of that one sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

xbox fitness is a great use for kinect, you can admire anna kournikovas shapely rear end, whilst watching your silhouette do its thing.

urgh. achievement unlocked indeed.

all jokes aside - has anyone tried xbox fitness? the insanity and p90x workouts are no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

You could get a small studio looking to make a name for themselves.

Whether or not we see anything gaming related for Kinect 2 doesn't really matter to me because I utilise the Kinect for all its other features.

Do you think they could have achieved most of them with a webcam and a mic as opposed to the Kinect? Or even the old Kinect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

xbox fitness is a great use for kinect, you can admire anna kournikovas shapely rear end, whilst watching your silhouette do its thing.

urgh. achievement unlocked indeed.

all jokes aside - has anyone tried xbox fitness? the insanity and p90x workouts are no joke.

No, I go to the gym to work out.

I've been fooled once by the uselessness that was Wii fit. Never again. They're just a waste of time compared to the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    No, I go to the gym to work out.

I've been fooled once by the uselessness that was Wii fit. Never again. They're just a waste of time compared to the real thing.

definitely no substitute for a proper gym session if you are any way fit already, but its on the same level and probably even a bit above home workout videos. There'd be good scope for yoga as it could analyse your posture / track your heart rate as you go.

[*] Release nothing for it. - Kinect Sports rivals & Zoo Tycoon.

Doesn't this prove his point more than anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

9. Be grand.

Please just stop you can't really believe any of the above, especially the last point. If you do please let's have a 50 quid bet to charity. If you refuse then please never repeat the last point again.

• Advertisement

I asked the dozen or so people I know ego got the One around release and not one of them has made use of the Kinect. According to them it's a useless piece of tech that much like the original is only good for pausing Netflix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement