Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

RasTa wrote: »
    Please just stop you can't really believe any of the above, especially the last point. If you do please let's have a 50 quid bet to charity. If you refuse then please never repeat the last point again.

Can I be the charity? It will go towards a Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭recyclops

I love my kinect for launchin apps, games and general controlling everything. It's an integral part of my xbox tbh.

Shame you didn't ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Microsoft are still paying the price for last year's disastrous E3. Talking to my brother, who would very much be a casual gamer - FIFA and driving games - and he was saying how he's getting a PS4 because the Xbox One doesn't allow you to play second hand games and how you always have to hook it up to the internet.

Bad news like that sticks and even now Microsoft haven't done enough to get out their message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Microsoft are still paying the price for last year's disastrous E3. Talking to my brother, who would very much be a casual gamer - FIFA and driving games - and he was saying how he's getting a PS4 because the Xbox One doesn't allow you to play second hand games and how you always have to hook it up to the internet.

Bad news like that sticks and even now Microsoft haven't done enough to get out their message.
    Yes they have
    infact they done so much they were just short of calling your brother too tell him they reversed their policies before the launch of the xbox one :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

A small bit of research before spending €400+ on a console goes a long way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Look at the sales of over priced apple products and you might realize as a lot of people don't do that. Especially when you're young.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

He only spent 399€ on a console though, so no research needed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

RasTa wrote: »
    Please just stop you can't really believe any of the above, especially the last point. If you do please let's have a 50 quid bet to charity. If you refuse then please never repeat the last point again.

What with the whole bet for charity posts :confused:

I believe it was Mark Twain that wrote
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect...Then use your Kinect
    Okay so I may have added a bit to it. :pac:

I game with over 30 Xbox One owners and guess what..... they like using the Kinect. I don't have to do a survey or use my sisters-boyfriends-cousins-best friends Kinect a few times. I have clocked enough hours to know the Kinect inside and out.

While its a shame we haven't a spectacular gaming use for it yet it is deadly for navigating around the console and has some kick ass functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I can maybe see how voice commands might seem like a god-send to the typical crap you need to go through on a console.Modern console UIs have always been convoluted, bloated or never offer enough options. Is it so hard to just put in a command line? The absolute fastest and most accurate way to get what you want on a piece of tech is a strong search box or command line. Type "Ba" oh look at that it already guessed I was going for Batman installed in my HDD, and now here's the options of what I want to do with it: Play, Delete etc. Type "Sett" oh and now we're at settings.

I tried out speech recognition on my PC once when I realised I had it while installing a voice command mod for Skyrim - It seemed pretty decent but it's simply not good for the setup I have. Maybe for a HTPC it could have potential? I'd want to customize it, though and it lacks the ability to do that. The mod for Skyrim was great, though and it got me a little more interested in voice commands in other games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think PSnow is launching in beta mode in the states today. Be interesting to see how it turns out.

Playstation also have Morpheus running on the PS4.

http://vrfocus.com/archives/3399/project-morpheus-now-running-ps4-pc/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I heard a mate saying similar - he only plays Fifa, had to correct him, he ended up with PS4 as me and his bro in law got one....

What would the PS4 peeps in here be willing to pay for the 3D headset?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Depends on games available and how good it is, what similarly priced products cost. It's hard to say blind as it were. How much would you be willing to pay for the PS5 or Xbox Two?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Bout 300 max

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Depends on a lot of factors. How well it works, what games are made specifically for it, what other games will incorporate it and how, general reviews etc.

I wouldn't be rushing out to get one and unless the general consensus is that it's brilliant and the games for it are amazing, I might not bother at all. How much would I be willing to pay though? Maybe €150-200

Depends on games available and how good it is, what similarly priced products cost. It's hard to say blind as it were. How much would you be willing to pay for the PS5 or Xbox Two?

Well I wouldn't hazard a guess on something like that. We are talking about a peripheral.

Let's just say it works great and has decent games what would PS4 users here be willing to part with for it €.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Depends on too manny factors:

Whats the resolution,max FPS, How jarring the experience is at 30FPS?

I wont even consider touching it until these have been clarified

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Difficult one to answer right now.

As the previous poster said, I'd like to see what its capable of. The brief time I spent with Oculus was great and I'd love to have a PC to use that but obviously that should be a lot more powerful

I think realistically it cannot cost more than the Rift and it'll need to support a few bigger games instead of just games specifically built for it.

Hopefully we'll find out more at E3 regarding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

If it lives up to the potential, about 300.

Also, does it work if you have glasses and how comfortable is it to wear with glasses on? BIG factor for people with glasses. No matter how low the cost is, if it's a pain to wear, I wouldn't dare.

• Advertisement

NTMK wrote: »
    Depends on too manny factors:

Whats the resolution,max FPS, How jarring the experience is at 30FPS?

I wont even consider touching it until these have been clarified

Okay, let's say it's running at a smooth frame rate and the device is fit for purpose what would you be willing to spend?

Okay, let's say it's running at a smooth frame rate and the device is fit for purpose what would you be willing to spend?

With respect, it's probably the same or similar as you'd be willing to spend on it in the same circumstances (if it was being released for the XBox One). How much would you be willing to spend on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

If it could be used as a 3D monitor replacement then that's added value. Surely this can be easily done. Would be nice to be lost in a game of Planetside 2 while the other half was watching Made in Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

£250~ but as i said it has a long way to go to get a sale out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The only device thats looking to do a similar thing is the Oculus Rift,that i know of anyway.

So thats the only real barometer i could judge it off. If it gives similar performance it would have to be priced around the same or less imo.

The oculus will have a more flexible platform in the PC rather than the closed system that Sony will have,games will be modded by communities to support oculus etc while that will never happen on PS4 imo so should cost less

Probably wont be like that though,they will probably end up trying to charge an arm and a leg for it. Which would be a mistake imo.

Very early for this though,could be a pile of s*** or could be great so just have to wait and see. If it is s*** ill be buying consumer oculus when it comes out

Penn wrote: »
    With respect, it's probably the same or similar as you'd be willing to spend on it in the same circumstances (if it was being released for the XBox One). How much would you be willing to spend on it?

I'd spend a cautious €150. Over €150 it would have to meet a crazy criteria for for me to buy it at the €150 - €200 price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

If they make the device open rather than locked down to Sony devices then it might actually be a decent competitor to OR. Then again, we have no idea how open OR is going be now that Facebook has their dirty fingers in it. It's highly unlikely it will have any form of DRM like people are afraid of... but stranger stuff has happened.
    If it lives up to the potential, about 300.

P5LgU2O.jpg

I'd be willing to spend up to 400 quid for a high end VR or equivalent device if it was displaying at above 75hz with a MINIMUM of 1080 resolution with fast response times and quality display w/ 3D support - after all that's what a monitor would cost with such bells and whistles... not counting the tracking and motion technology along with the extremely small form factor and impressive capabilities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Are we talking about the VR headset here?

We're going to need to be realistic about how much it's going to cost. It will arrive having years + millions if not hundreds of millions euro worth of R&D behind it. It's an insanely high-tech piece of kit, and a full self-contained display to boot.

The Oculus V2 dev kit is retailing for €250. I'd be surprised if the final kit is significantly cheaper than that - in fact, I'd say both the final Oculus and Morpheus will probably be quite a bit more expensive unless Facebook and Sony are willing to take the hit and heavily subsidise them. Sony aren't exactly in a financial position to do so at the moment.

I do think it will take a console manufacturer to really popularise VR, though. It will definitely benefit from high-powered PCs far more than the technologically weaker consoles, but I also think that will restrict its market to a niche that might struggle to make it a mainstream success story. If Sony can make one that's closer to plug and play and with set hardware specs, then it will have a not inconsiderable advantage over Oculus even if the latter offers the better adaptability and technology (which, of course, it will).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

My main worry with the VR tech is that it will only be truly effective and 100% immersive when playing something that involves sitting down like driving for example, it would work incredibly well there , the immersion goes out the window when playing something like a FPS where instinct would tell you wo move around on your feet , it could be done but not without risk to life and limb in an average home :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

calex71 wrote: »
    My main worry with the VR tech is that it will only be truly effective and 100% immersive when playing something that involves sitting down like driving for example, it would work incredibly well there , the immersion goes out the window when playing something like a FPS where instinct would tell you wo move around on your feet , it could be done but not without risk to life and limb in an average home :D

Never fear, tech is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement