Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd be happy to spend on the device, and if the games are good enough I'd spend whatever they're asking.
    Performance wise I suppose it'll be less impressive than the regular PS4 fare, I guess it'll depend on how much processing is done in system or in device, and that'll be the the price as well.
    I suppose if it delivered smooth responsive no lag gaming but was at PS3 quality I'd be probably ok with it.

But having been burned with the Kinect, buying one and finding it to be dreadful, I would need to see proof of value first.
    And that's something about the Kinect, Move, Wiimote and similar, too many awkward interactions and spoken instructions replacing a simple button push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Never fear, tech is here.

Ha it looks to be inspired by one of those things you put toddlers in before they are able to walk so they can zip around the house :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Where vr is lacking is tactile feedback. You can't really do something with hand control or melee combat since there's nothing there to stop you swinging through polygons.

There's that and looking like a right twat when using it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Where vr is lacking is tactile feedback. You can't really do something with hand control or melee combat since there's nothing there to stop you swinging through polygons.

There's that and looking like a right twat when using it.

Looking like a twonk is inevitable.
    I can recall being seen playing Wii Sports in my own living room :(
    Although Samba De Amigo on the Dreamcast takes the biscuit when your flapping around to carnival music with a set of plastic maracas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

calex71 wrote: »
    My main worry with the VR tech is that it will only be truly effective and 100% immersive when playing something that involves sitting down like driving for example, it would work incredibly well there , the immersion goes out the window when playing something like a FPS where instinct would tell you wo move around on your feet , it could be done but not without risk to life and limb in an average home :D

I kinda disagree, it won't be 100% immersive, but it'll be a lot more immersive than games are without the device. I just hope it doesn't replace gameplay in the same way that graphics sometimes do.
    Some FPS games are immersive with just a controller after all.

• Advertisement

Thought just occurred to me.
    And this comes up, from time to time over in the Arcade and Retro forum.
    You do realise that there are going to be a group of people, up and coming players of games, for whom the PS4 or XB1 will be their first console!
    And, in time, it'll be an item of nostalgic memory for them, the good old console they got for Christmas or for their birthday and from which a love of games was born.
    Crazy, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Thought just occurred to me.
    And this comes up, from time to time over in the Arcade and Retro forum.
    You do realise that there are going to be a group of people, up and coming players of games, for whom the PS4 or XB1 will be their first console!
    And, in time, it'll be an item of nostalgic memory for them, the good old console they got for Christmas or for their birthday and from which a love of games was born.
    Crazy, isn't it?

this time next month there will be people who are legally entitled to drink in ireland that are younger that the N64

feel old age setting in yet :pac: i know i do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

If it could be used as a 3D monitor replacement then that's added value. Surely this can be easily done. Would be nice to be lost in a game of Planetside 2 while the other half was watching Made in Chelsea.

your missus must be very understanding. I dunno how mrs deaf 4evr would take to me putting on a headset and going off into a world of my own!

NTMK wrote: »
    this time next month there will be people who are legally entitled to drink in ireland that are younger that the N64

feel old age setting in yet :pac: i know i do :(

we're also probably a few general elections away from having guys in power who would have been gamers in their youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

your missus must be very understanding. I dunno how mrs deaf 4evr would take to me putting on a headset and going off into a world of my own!

She sounds normal to me. Sounds like your missus might be a bit irrational if she'd have a problem with you putting a head set on, when her being engrossed in a TV programme would be the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Penn wrote: »
    Also, does it work if you have glasses and how comfortable is it to wear with glasses on? BIG factor for people with glasses. No matter how low the cost is, if it's a pain to wear, I wouldn't dare.

I wear glasses, but I did not needed Glasses in Oculus Rift, its just a screen under the lenses right in to your face. It depends why you got glasses in the first place. I am short sighted. I cant read **** if its further the half a meter away.
    Just to note, lenses are interchangable too, so people who have generally crap eyes sight can adjust lenses for themselves.

Now to answer the original question: how much would I pay for VR set. I tried out Oculus Rift and I am sold on VR future. Shut up and take my money style. I would pay up to 400eu for Oculus Rift when it is properly sorted out and all issues sorted out. How much would I pay for Sony VR is a very different question.

I dont know much info on Sony VR set, but I presume it is a very similar technology. If it is, then I dont even know how sony will pull it off as VR needs a lot of juice and to produce high resolution and high frame rate. So far PS4 can barely manage to pull off 1080p at 30 fps. You need more then 1080p and at least 60 fps for VR set.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    She sounds normal to me. Sounds like your missus might be a bit irrational if she'd have a problem with you putting a head set on, when her being engrossed in a TV programme would be the same thing.

who knows? maybe she enjoys my company and the banter couples in a loving relationship have. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Am I the only one who has absolutely no interest in VR gaming?

You should be! Its amazing. Not a gimmick like 3D TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No. If it works well, I'd consider it. But other than that, I think that my 42" TV still works pretty damn well.

nope, I've zero interest in it either. I think its a nice idea, but come back to me when we've reached the level of star treks Holodeck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

who knows? maybe she enjoys my company and the banter couples in a loving relationship have. :rolleyes:

Ah no, it's just something I've noticed some women do to their boyfriends in regards to badgering them to stop playing games. I always find it a bit ridiculous how a lot of them allow their gfs to dictate what they can and can't do when they could be as equally engrossed in a marathon of keeping up with the kardashians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Just play it when you go to take a crap. Hopefully she doesn't enjoy your company so much that she follows you into the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I've found that, bar a very small minority, the only people who have this opinion haven't actually tried the rift or something similar. Not saying that's the case with you, just making a generalization based on personal experiences

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Ah no, it's just something I've noticed some women do to their boyfriends in regards to badgering them to stop playing games. I always find it a bit ridiculous how a lot of them allow their gfs to dictate what they can and can't do when they could be as equally engrossed in a marathon of keeping up with the kardashians.

Ah, sure everyones different, we've 2 kids, and I work out most evenings straight after work. by the time the kids are fed and put to bed I've a small window of gaming time while shes at the gym or whatever. If I was to disappear into a headset completely, we'd never talk :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I don't have much interest in it, I can't see it being very good or very well supported, game wise initially, so yeah... I'll probably buy it. Sounds like something I'd do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

COYVB wrote: »
    I've found that, bar a very small minority, the only people who have this opinion haven't actually tried the rift or something similar. Not saying that's the case with you, just making a generalization based on personal experiences

It sounds interesting but I reckon like a lot of people with kids, I reckon it wouldn't really be practical for me. Whatever about seeing them trying to smoke crack out of the corner of my eye while playing on the TV or the Vita, I'd have no chance of catching them if I was wearing a headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Maybe PS Now could be the answer to the lack of muscle on the PS4 needed for VR. Imagine the game was running on PSNow and was streamed to your PS4. Im not sure how latency would affect that and PSNow is still an unknown like the headset its self. Otherwise i see games being made specifically for it(not nessacerily a bad thing)rather than mainstream games adding support for it. If the former was the case id say i would start to feel it was a bit gimmicky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

miju wrote: »
    only one is ps4 exclusive out of those two games and its far from a must have. Id dare say more games going exclusive like moto gp would be worse for ps4

When I said exclusive I meant next gen exclusive. SO on the PS4 and not the XB1. Another game announced today that it's not making a XB1 version. It's a new dragonball game which is apparently popular but not my type of game.

I'm telling you now PS4 will get a lot of games of all types that the XB1 won't if it doesn't get it's act together soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EoinHef wrote: »
    Maybe PS Now could be the answer to the lack of muscle on the PS4 needed for VR. Imagine the game was running on PSNow and was streamed to your PS4. Im not sure how latency would affect that and PSNow is still an unknown like the headset its self. Otherwise i see games being made specifically for it(not nessacerily a bad thing)rather than mainstream games adding support for it. If the former was the case id say i would start to feel it was a bit gimmicky

Don't see that working. The lag would kill the immersion and cause really bad motion sickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

They could always remake old games for the headset. PS4 should have no problems then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Shouldn't have any problems anyway. The new MGS game is 1080p and rock solid 60FPS and looks really good.
    Open world games on the other hand..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Grayditch wrote: »
    I can't see it being very good or very well supported, game wise initially.

there's a shed load of games listed on wikipedia already. More than the XB1 and PS4 combined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_games_with_Oculus_Rift_support

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Another game announced today that it's not making a XB1 version. It's a new dragonball game which is apparently popular but not my type of game.

I'm telling you now PS4 will get a lot of games of all types that the XB1 won't if it doesn't get it's act together soon.

A game that sold a whopping 36,000 copies on its release on PS3 in its first two weeks in January of this year.

See my earlier point about junk games and quantity over quality.

• Advertisement

miju wrote: »
    A game that sold a whopping 36,000 copies on its release on PS3 in its first two weeks in January of this year.

See my earlier point about junk games and quantity over quality.

Sony always had a policy of "trying out stuff". Even if it is a flop or **** game, it does not cost them a penny just to have it on console. Now and then something big will come up like that and be worth it.

*Points at Demon Souls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement