Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Sony always had a policy of "trying out stuff". Even if it is a flop or **** game, it does not cost them a penny just to have it on console. Now and then something big will come up like that and be worth it.

*Points at Demon Souls.

That's a very fair point and I dont disagree with it but in this case this is the third game release of Dragonball all with very similar sales figures.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sony have always been great at encouraging more unusual releases on their consoles. Internally Japan Studio makes fascinating curios like Tokyo Jungle, The Last Guy and Puppeteer, and I'm excited to see what they're working on for PS4. Media Molecule's Tearaway is exemplary, so their first PS4 offering whatever it may be is something well worth anticipating. If Team Ico ever manage to finish The Last Guardian, it will almost inevitably be one of the most exciting game releases of the last decade or two. It's also encouraging to see the likes of Jon Blow, Supergiant, The Chinese Room, the Hotline Miami goes and other prominent indie developers so explicitly pledge their support to the console. Indie and experimental games aren't going to be the ones racking up insane AAA sales figures - the unpredictable breakout titles aside - but from a personal (and surely niche) perspective they're what I want from next gen consoles, far and above the blockbusters.

Hopefully Microsoft have a few tricks up their sleeve in that respect, and Capy and Swery support is encouraging and exciting. But they stumbled by their confused initial messaging to smaller developers, and they really fell down quality wise at the tail end of the 360's lifespan despite their spectacular early work with XBLA. For me anyway, many more offbeat titles is what the One needs for me to get definitively on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Sony have always been great at encouraging more unusual releases on their consoles. Internally Japan Studio makes fascinating curios like Tokyo Jungle, The Last Guy and Puppeteer, and I'm excited to see what they're working on for PS4. Media Molecule's Tearaway is exemplary, so their first PS4 offering whatever it may be is something well worth anticipating. If Team Ico ever manage to finish The Last Guardian, it will almost inevitably be one of the most exciting game releases of the last decade or two. It's also encouraging to see the likes of Jon Blow, Supergiant, The Chinese Room, the Hotline Miami goes and other prominent indie developers so explicitly pledge their support to the console. Indie and experimental games aren't going to be the ones racking up insane AAA sales figures - the unpredictable breakout titles aside - but from a personal (and surely niche) perspective they're what I want from next gen consoles, far and above the blockbusters.

Hopefully Microsoft have a few tricks up their sleeve in that respect, and Capy and Swery support is encouraging and exciting. But they stumbled by their confused initial messaging to smaller developers, and they really fell down quality wise at the tail end of the 360's lifespan despite their spectacular early work with XBLA. For me anyway, many more offbeat titles is what the One needs for me to get definitively on board.

would you put the start of slump in XBLA and the 360 in general around 2010? because thats roughly when it started to slide for me

it also lines up with Allard leaving MS and mattrick taking over

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

miju wrote: »
    A game that sold a whopping 36,000 copies on its release on PS3 in its first two weeks in January of this year.

See my earlier point about junk games and quantity over quality.

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z had sold over 620,000 copies in the first two months of release and was quite well reviewed, hardly a junk game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Xenji wrote: »
    Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z had sold over 620,000 copies in the first two months of release and was quite well reviewed, hardly a junk game.

You don't seem to realise that:

Game/game genre does not appeal to particular player = junk game for all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

A fight stick to play Street Fighter etc generally costs €150 so no chance VR will be anywhere close to that imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RasTa wrote: »
    A fight stick to play Street Fighter etc generally costs €150 so no chance VR will be anywhere close to that imo.

Not really comparable. A fightstick will sell less and the only ones costing 150 use high quality parts imported from Japan. Mascara would be looking at a bigger mark up. Sony can bulk buy components or even manufacture their own and get Chinese workers/slaves at Foxconn to build there's for pretty cheap.

If oculus can sell a beta unit for 250 there's a good chance Sony could do it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

miju wrote: »
    there's a shed load of games listed on wikipedia already. More than the XB1 and PS4 combined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_games_with_Oculus_Rift_support

Games pretty much have 3d support out of the box, that's how they are rendered. You can stick 3d glasses on and enable 3d on a bajillion titles on pc as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Does anyone have both? Argos and gamestop doing good ones on the xbox one at the moment. Is there any point in having both? More to just have something new and shiny :pac:

rafi bomb wrote: »
    Does anyone have both? Argos and gamestop doing good ones on the xbox one at the moment. Is there any point in having both? More to just have something new and shiny :pac:

Yes I do and hell no its not worth having both atm and its barely even worth having one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Right now there is no point having both at all. It's worth having one of them if you don't have good pc.
    It's worth having one if you got pc, but still love lazy ass gaming in bed or recliner chair.

I planed to have both of them by April this year, but turns out the only thing I like From xbox one is Forza, and that is just plain piece of **** right now. Boosting about that they got already 90 dlc cars... It's sad, not something to celebrate.
    So yeah, no point having both for me right now. Who knows, maybe next Forza, will be proper Forza and I will run down to gamestop and shout " shut up and take my money!"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's worth having one if you got pc, but still love lazy ass gaming in bed or recliner chair.

thanks for the lol moment, i just imagined the non lazy ass gaming of, sitting at a computer.... :D

(i completely understand what you mean, but the imagery was fantastic)

Right now there is no point having both at all. It's worth having one of them if you don't have good pc.

You can game from your bed with a pc, just use steams tv mode and a wireless control pad.

You can game from your bed with a pc, just use steams tv mode and a wireless control pad.

Yes you can, then you can pick up your teeth every single match of BF4, when you are playing with controller and the rest of the feckers play on keyboard and mouse.

Yes you can, then you can pick up your teeth every single match of BF4, when you are playing with controller and the rest of the feckers play on keyboard and mouse.

keyboard is better for some titles, controller is handier for others.

keyboard is better for some titles, controller is handier for others.

Are you new here? Why are you telling me all this stuff? In these lands, I am pretty much branded as a Prick PC fanboy.

Plus your last statement has zero to do with Topic we were talking about.

Are you new here? Why are you telling me all this stuff? In these lands, I am pretty much branded as a Prick PC fanboy.

Plus your last statement has zero to do with Topic we were talking about.

The statement was a direct response to what you said. I can see at least the first part of your branded title is warranted.

The statement was a direct response to what you said. I can see at least the first part of your branded title is warranted.

What does ability to play games on a couch with controller has to do with controller is better to some games and keyboard and mouse is better for others? Both things are apple and oranges topics. So what you on about, I have no clue.
    Just because you can have a **** in your kitchen sink, does not mean it is a most optimal way. Same way you can play with your PC at TV with Controller, but it is not an optimal and best way.

And yes, dont piss me off, or I will beat you with my Pc master Gamer keyboard. You have been warned! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Keep it friendly, everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Is there any point in having both? More to just have something new and shiny :pac:

There isn't any point in having either :P

*cowers from mods*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Atari Jaguar FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I play my PS4 all the time. I'd probably do the same with the Xbox One if I had that instead. Really don't know what the big deal is. They have games on them. You play the games. They won't make you a sandwich yet.

Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Grayditch wrote: »
    I play my PS4 all the time. I'd probably do the same with the Xbox One if I had that instead. Really don't know what the big deal is. They have games on them. You play the games. They won't make you a sandwich yet.

Yet.

I don't want to be a sandwich!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Lest we forget, the original PS3 looked like a George Foreman sandwich grill. That said it was false advertising as it did not, in fact, let you make delicious toasties.

• Grayditch wrote: »

Yet.
    Just how I feel ATM.
    Think we may have had our squabbles in the past but this is spot on.

And yes I want toasted sandwich in the future :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Grayditch wrote: »

Yet.

For many though including myself its about having games worth playing. And yes the system has games but for the most part theyre pretty poor as with most launch line ups. Both systems will come good but right now I know if i bought one it'd go unused. I had a chance to pick up a 300euro ps4 in the hmv sale. I passed as i really couldn't justify it even at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I never really thought that the consoles don't justify the price, eventually... you will get your worth out of it. I WILL pick up both at some point, probably a PS4 within the next year and a XB1 down the line when theres a few good exclusives and the price drops.

If you don't have a PC and generally just game on the consoles, i see no real reason not to pick up a PS4 or XB1 if you can afford it. Even just for multiplatform games, high/smoother framerates make games better, in some cases substantially better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

If project beast is what everyone thinks it is and is a ps4 exclusive that will seal the deal for me.

E3 needs to hurry up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Danonino. wrote: »
    If project beast is what everyone thinks it is and is a ps4 exclusive that will seal the deal for me.

E3 needs to hurry up

+1 on this. Looking forward to E3 big time. I have a feeling Nintendo will steal the show....... And then not back it up with sales.

• Advertisement

Magill wrote: »
    I never really thought that the consoles don't justify the price, eventually... you will get your worth out of it. I WILL pick up both at some point, probably a PS4 within the next year and a XB1 down the line when theres a few good exclusives and the price drops.

If you don't have a PC and generally just game on the consoles, i see no real reason not to pick up a PS4 or XB1 if you can afford it. Even just for multiplatform games, high/smoother framerates make games better, in some cases substantially better.

both will justify the cost tenfold imo but i wouldnt recommend buying one unless you see a game you really want. if you dont see a game you can justify jumping onto just wait the ps3/360 still have good games coming out so wait and reap the rewards of price drops and bundles post e3

I wasnt planing on buying a Xbone or PS4 until the new year but i got a great bundle with the one and the ps4 cost me £250 and i havent played a huge amount of the last of us.
    +1 on this. Looking forward to E3 big time. I have a feeling Nintendo will steal the show....... And then not back it up with sales.

Im just happy this e3 will be a watch_dog/titanfall free one.

Ninty need to pull something out of their arse
    MS need to make BIG statements on why their console is a must have
    and Sony need to not get complacent as they could be punished for it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement