Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Benzino wrote: »
    It's very early in development, in fact I think they only started working on it 4-5 months ago

They should have stopped it at 3 imo.Never got Judgement but i poured hours and hours into Horde mode on GOW 2.Man i miss River and Blood Drive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

They should have stopped it at 3 imo.Never got Judgement but i poured hours and hours into Horde mode on GOW 2.Man i miss River and Blood Drive

Agreed and Epic Games wanted to stop at 3 too. That's why Judgement and the new game are been made by different devs, so I'm less interested in the series now. I guess MS don't want this series to die, they don't really have a lot of exclusive "system seller" IP's to allow that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Agreed and Epic Games wanted to stop at 3 too. That's why Judgement and the new game are been made by different devs, so I'm less interested in the series now. I guess MS don't want this series to die, they don't really have a lot of exclusive "system seller" IP's to allow that to happen.

they paid a lot of money for the gears ip. they will do everything in their power to make that money back. gears were genius selling it when they did. got a great price for a franchise that's seen it's best days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Some numbers in from PlayStation's American VP of marketing John Koller from an interview with Kotaku;

31% of people who have bought a PlayStation 4 had an Xbox 360 or Wii but not a PS3

17% of people who have bought a PS4 didn't own a console in the previous generation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Judgement is supposed to be excellent, People can Fly made it and they made the brilliant Bulletstorm, apparently the game is an awful lot of fun and loses a lot of the dour story telling focused on in the initial trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just curious, any reason why you play Fifa on the Xbox, is that version better or something? Genuine question, I haven't played Fifa this gen.

Well I bought the Day One edition with Fifa so it was digital copy, same for COD ghosts/Forza/Killer Instinct etc and Dead Rising 3.
    Since we had a toddler and I'm now watching what games I play in front of him, I purchased a PS4 for the bedroom so I can play games during the day.
    Infamous/Watchdogs etc. I'm actually very happy with the dualshock 4 controller....way more comfortable than the PS3 version so now I'm actually using the PS4 more and only using the XB1 for Fifa.
    Barring GOW/Halo etc I'll be buying most of my games on the PS4 due to it's better gaming capability.
    I was a big MS fan since the original xbox and can't believe how much they're dropped the ball on the XB1...
    On the other hand very impressed with the PS4. Infamous looks class on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Judgement is supposed to be excellent, People can Fly made it and they made the brilliant Bulletstorm, apparently the game is an awful lot of fun and loses a lot of the dour story telling focused on in the initial trilogy.

It was an excellent game. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Blazer wrote: »
    It was an excellent game. Really enjoyed it.

I played shedloads of the original trilogy and was still playing Horde mode up until the release of Judgement - there was a great community that used to play horde on insane difficuly, mega xp to be got, and the tension when trying to take down the lambent berserkers was unreal. I'll never forget the night I took down the zerker with the last arrow in my torque bow after all my teammates had been eliminated - the screaming and cheering in the chat was epic.
    I dont know why, I never got judgement but I felt (and still do) that the story was closed off nicely at the end of 3 - also the DLC for 3 was one of the few times that I really felt like I got value for money, there was a great single player bit, horde expansion and multiplayer maps.
    Im interested to see where the story goes, but it'd have to sell itself pretty big to get me truly excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Just finished Bulletstorm last night. Mighty craic altogether. Pity they scrapped the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I just finished Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for the 360. the campaign was excellent for the most part and want to get stuck into AW2. I tried the multiplayer after that and it was god-awful. It harkens back to Ghost Recon one, which i see as more of a charmless simulation than a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Thread derailed big time here.

Thread derailed big time here.

it makes a change from the ususal willy waving / flame war though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

it makes a change from the ususal willy waving / flame war though. :)

:pac:
    groundskeeperwilliejd6.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Let's keep this on topic, folks! (although this is a nice warning to have to post in this thread that has haunted us mods' dreams for many a night :pac:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No Man's Sky really has sealed the deal for me, it's precisely the sort of game that is unlikely to appear on a Ninty machine but I simply don't use the PC for gaming so it has to be a console.
    And it seems the PS4 is getting it so that'll be that.
    Why isn't the XB1 getting it, or is it a timed exclusive?
    Why also does a game like this steal such a march on pretty much everything else, aside from Bloodborne, that I have seen from both Sony and MS?

What game has sealed the deal for others here, particularly asked of those who have taken the next gen plunge, and how has the quality of titles from this launch differed from previous ones, for you?
    I thought the original Xbox and Gamecube had great launch titles, Halo, Amped and Project Gotham on the former, and Luigis Mansion and Super Monkeyball on the latter, they certainly outclassed the PS2 with it's fairly poor showing, didn't make much difference in the end and certainly the first years releases did not reflect the eventual plethora of amazing games that came to Sonys platform.

No Man's Sky really has sealed the deal for me, it's precisely the sort of game that is unlikely to appear on a Ninty machine but I simply don't use the PC for gaming so it has to be a console.

No other platforms have been announced for it, only PS4, though I'd imagine it's a timed exclusive and they are under contract not to mention other platforms as of yet.

Why also does a game like this steal such a march on pretty much everything else, aside from Bloodborne, that I have seen from both Sony and MS?

What game has sealed the deal for others here, particularly asked of those who have taken the next gen plunge, and how has the quality of titles from this launch differed from previous ones, for you?
    I thought the original Xbox and Gamecube had great launch titles, Halo, Amped and Project Gotham on the former, and Luigis Mansion and Super Monkeyball on the latter, they certainly outclassed the PS2 with it's fairly poor showing, didn't make much difference in the end and certainly the first years releases did not reflect the eventual plethora of amazing games that came to Sonys platform.

The original Xbox wasn't around long enough to gather the third party support (and shovelware) that the ps two ended up with,I think it was met with a fair degree of skepticism as a new manufacturer entering the market. Peoples memories are pretty short thoughin relation to launches, the 360 had call of duty 2 as a killer app and the jump to hd made the move all the more noticeable. But then followed a huge drought until gears 1. This year is much the same, a few titles like Ryse (graphically) to make you feel like you've something next gen, but we're still waiting on the first killer app on both consoles.

Oh, I think the Xbox had quite a bit of third party support.
    The delineation between the PS2 and Xbox was more due to the awful performance of the Xbox in Japan, meaning that very little of the really interesting stuff came out on it.
    But the Xboxes launch was superb tbh, at least in my opinion.
    Plus, it got the likes of Panzer Dragoon Orta and Steel Battalion, so there's Sega and Capcom right there.
    The system also hosted Shenmue 2 in the end, while the PS2 didn't.

But, it's the launch window and how it compares to the current gen.
    I seem to find the systems out right now, the XB1 and PS4, seem to have a relatively poor first year of titles, with only Resogun and Infamous seeming to break the spell of mediocrity at all.
    The launch of the PS3 was similar, though the PS4 has more worth playing in year one, the PS3 was a terrible year one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I may add you if you get the PS4 and play similar games to me. Seem like a sound lad!

Anyway I'd say No Mans Sky is timed exclusive. While I'm as hyped as you are don't forget many a game has looked so promising but still manage to let us down. Can't wait to see the first reviews of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Meanwhile, over in America. Delighted for Mario Kart

EYGWXlJ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

RasTa wrote: »
    Meanwhile, over in America. Delighted for Mario Kart

EYGWXlJ.jpg

Does not include digital sales? So basically does not include PC then.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Does not include digital sales? So basically does not include PC then.

I have to say, physical copy sales chart is pretty much useless at this day and age and thats not just from a PC side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Mario kart was released May 30th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

sweetie wrote: »
    Mario kart was released May 30th?

Exactly.

Junes figures are going to be very interesting indeed.
    Will the WiiU get a sales boost?
    Will they tail off fast as well?
    How will longer term MK8 sales go?
    Particularly that last one, Mario Kart and other big hitters from Nintendo tend to be sellers over the entire lifespan of the console, rather than be mere update fodder as other franchises on other consoles get new titles every 12/18 months, which is ironic given this is the chief sin that Nintendo is accused of, despite annual releases of NFS, Fifa and a new Grid or DiRT title every other year.

Lets not forget the Xbox One sales now that you can buy it without the Kinect.

Lets not forget the Xbox One sales now that you can buy it without the Kinect.

Oh yeah.
    Forgot about the XB1....
    Don't think I'm alone in forgetting about it tbh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I think in 6 years we'll all be reading articles on how "Not to Launch a Console" which will heavily feature the X-Box 1 as the centrepiece

Cormac... wrote: »
    I think in 6 years we'll all be reading articles on how "Not to Launch a Console" which will heavily feature the X-Box 1 as the centrepiece

Or as a cautionary tale in "marketing for dummies"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Cormac... wrote: »

I'd actually really like to see a documentary of how MS launched the Xbox One and how they actually reacted to the backlash internally. They kept up appearances for the public, but I'd imagine it was a different story inside.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement