Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I do feel that they're slowly starting to slip in their previous policies (but in a good way) the family sharing that they mentioned is there now, albeit in a roundabout and not widely talked about fashion. The recent mention of digital and disc bundles lead me to believe that soon you'll be able to buy a physical disc, install it to hard drive and then use a licence code that allows you to play without the disc in the console. Similar to how you see dvds with an "ultraviolet" option where you pay a little more for the disc, but you also get access to a downloadable copy for use on laptop / tablet etc.

I'm gone all digital this gen and to be honest, I dont miss getting up off the couch to switch discs every time I want to play a new game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Cormac... wrote: »
    I think in 6 years we'll all be reading articles on how "Not to Launch a Console" which will heavily feature the X-Box 1 as the centrepiece

That said, the PS3 had a dreadful first year, lousy range of lousy games, the 360 looked like it had that market all to its lonesome and then the PS3 found its legs and belted out a great comeback and wound up ahead of the 360 in many regions.
    You just don't know what the future holds.
    A hardware issue could come up in the next 18 months and deliver a RROD style of no confidence vote in one or all of the current consoles, change the competition completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It's interesting to see that more copies of Call of Duty Ghosts and BF4 have been sold on Xbox One compared to PS4.

I'd say its due to XB1 getting content for each game earlier than PS4.

From watching E3 this year it was clear that Microsoft had successfully negotiated early access to in-game content while Sony with their tail between their legs got the breadcrumbs, access to Alphas and Betas instead.

I think F2P games and PSN+ combined will put a dent in the PS4 software sales. The most played game on PS4/PSN at the moment is War Thunder. It's great for gamers but I question the viability of adding more F2P games and really good PSN+ titles from Sony's perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd say they know what they're doing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

From watching E3 this year it was clear that Microsoft had successfully negotiated early access to in-game content while Sony with their tail between their legs got the breadcrumbs, access to Alphas and Betas instead.

What about the exclusive PS4 content for Destiny? And Diablo III? And GTAV? And Arkham Knight? I'd say there's a good chance Ubisoft will continue their trend of extras for Playststion releases too. Microsoft might get some map packs early, but it's not like Sony don't exactly offer bonuses of their own when it comes to major multi format titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's interesting to see that more copies of Call of Duty Ghosts and BF4 have been sold on Xbox One compared to PS4.

I think F2P games and PSN+ combined will put a dent in the PS4 software sales. The most played game on PS4/PSN at the moment is War Thunder. It's great for gamers but I question the viability of adding more F2P games and really good PSN+ titles from Sony's perspective.

http://www.ibtimes.com/ps4-vs-xbox-one-sony-outsells-microsoft-five-months-straight-1603804
    Neither Microsoft nor Sony has revealed the latest exact numbers on their respective devices. In April, Sony announced its PlayStation 4, which launched Nov. 15 in North America, was at 7 million units sold. As of March 31, Microsoft had sold 3 million Xbox One consoles.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/06/17/ps4-is-best-selling-console-for-five-months-straight-in-us
    PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console in North America for the month of May, which marks the fifth consecutive month it's achieved the plaudit. Sony's new console also managed to move more titles than any other platform, in a month that saw sales of both consoles and games shoot up.

COD Ghosts and BF4 selling more on XB1 doesn't surprise me tbh. They were usually more popular on the 360 than PS3, so many would have stayed with XB1 to retain friends lists, gamerscore etc.

And F2P/PS+ games might sway people who are on the fence over to PS4, which would increase software sales long-term, as well as being an incentive for existing PS users to stay. It's not like PS4 users are only going to play F2P/PS+ games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Where you getting that information? Looking back the last couple of NPD results the only game to sell better on Xbox One is The Lego Hobbit, and that's only counting the US. In Europe there'll be an even bigger gap.

Fair few of the hooks in that post, paying off already :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What about Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein and Tomb Raider. Pretty sure they have sold more on PS4. Strange point to make but I don't think you're correct.

I think it's time to accept the fact that everybody loves the PS4, no matter how hard you knock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Games with Gold is now coming to XBO in a very similar format to PS+. F2P titles are also comming - like War Thunder, which is launching later this year.

So will your test case also happen on XBO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Sony with their tail between their legs got the breadcrumbs

I think this should have indicated what type of post it was :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

RasTa wrote: »

I think it's time to accept the fact that everybody loves the PS4, no matter how hard you knock it.

Flogging a dead horse there. That chap is never going to stop trying to put down PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Why do you like the XB1 so much?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Any does it always come back to having to love one format and detest the other?
    It's a crazy thing.
    Perhaps it's because the XB1 and PS4 are competing for the same market share.
    Truthfully, I'd you love games you're probably going to buy them both.
    Sure, have a think what's best, and while you consider it, buy a WiiU ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Why do you like the XB1 so much?

He was touched inappropriately by PlayStation 1. He was never same again. That's where all the hate is coming.

For me, the only game that interests me on the Xbox One at the moment is Sunset Overdrive. But I have my concerns about it. It seems like it would get repetitive very quickly, doesn't seem to have much longevity. Secondly, I don't have a lot of faith in Insomniac Games now a days, their last few games have been average unfortunately.

After being really interested in it, I was kinda bored looking at Sunset Overdrive being played. But saying that, it could easily be a game that needs to be played yourself for a while to get interesting.

I found the main carachter to be really annoying and clichéd with bad lines, but then again, the gameplay is what matters with a game like that.

That's a good point. I personally thought Destiny looked dull and boring, but after playing the Alpha it's a day one purchase for me now. I agree about the main character alright, seems very annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I was under the impression that PS4 is crushing XBO in software sales ? Thought I read that watchdogs (Last big multiplatformer) like doubled XBO sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It is...

What's far more interesting for me is how Vita and Wii U do this month. Come on the Underdogs! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

tok9 wrote: »
    It is...

What's far more interesting for me is how Vita and Wii U do this month. Come on the Underdogs! :)

According to the NPD report in May the Vita had an 1600% month-over-month increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Xenji wrote: »
    According to the NPD report in May the Vita had an 1600% month-over-month increase.

I'm not a big fan of % but I do see it sold over 50k units which is good. Apparently it's very difficult to find the bundle around so I take it Sony didn't expect it to do that well...

I'm curious to see how it does once restocked and with the release of Freedom Wars in Japan as apparently that's been gaining some massive hype over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

lol at the Sony defenders "I'll defend my PS4's honour to the deathhhh" :pac:

Joking aside, I am only sharing my opinion. Granted its not very popular here but I like a really good conversion.

Just sharing my thoughts regarding Sony's E3 strategy of securing all these Alpha and Betas for PS4 games that were announced. It kind of became the 2013 TV TV TV. I thought it was weak. Basically turning Sony gamers into game testers and pawning it off like they are doing you a favour.

I thought Microsoft got a lot of the early access to content for some multiplatform games while Sony went after mostly the betas and got a few bonuses here and there.

My F2P and PSN+ theory is that you can create and build a gaming audience that expects so much for free that It may become difficult to motivate them to buy games when they are released at premium rates. As I was saying the most played game on the PS4 PSN is War Thunder. Its just a theory.

Regarding software sales recently I cant find hard data on the breakdown of multiplatform titles. If someone finds the numbers/percentage break downs please post it.

Many games articles point to a source on Neogaf that has broken down some of the sales stats for May such as.

Wolfenstein: The New Order platform breakdown: 41% PlayStation 4, 38% Xbox One, 13% Xbox 360, 8% PlayStation 3

Watch Dogs: sold over 1.25 million copies in the US last month. It breaks down to a 46 percent share on the PlayStation 4, 29 percent share on the Xbox One, 14 percent share on the Xbox 360, and 11 percent share on the PlayStation 3.

Now the PS4 sales are better but ask yourself this. Shouldn't the sales be an awful lot better with the millions of additional PS4 units that have been sold compared to XB1.

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of % but I do see it sold over 50k units which is good. Apparently it's very difficult to find the bundle around so I take it Sony didn't expect it to do that well...

I'm curious to see how it does once restocked and with the release of Freedom Wars in Japan as apparently that's been gaining some massive hype over there.

I have it preordered for import, with SCEJ and Dimps behind it chances are it will be great, Famitsu gave it a 35/40, Junichi Yoshizawa hopes that it sells over a million copies on the Vita in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

RasTa wrote: »

Not true. The biggest PS fanboy I know recently traded in his PS4 and got an Xbox One instead. He is big into his competitive gaming and he says the Xbox is alot better for it.

Also any neutral people I know who have got both the Xbox One and PS4 say the Xbox One is so much better than the PS4 and they hardly ever use it. Although that could all change if PS got a decent exclusive which has yet to happen.

lol at the Sony defenders "I'll defend my PS4's honour to the deathhhh" :pac:

Joking aside, I am only sharing my opinion. Granted its not very popular here but I like a really good conversion.

Just sharing my thoughts regarding Sony's E3 strategy of securing all these Alpha and Betas for PS4 games that were announced. It kind of became the 2013 TV TV TV. I thought it was weak. Basically turning Sony gamers into game testers and pawning it off like they are doing you a favour.

I thought Microsoft got a lot of the early access to content for some multiplatform games while Sony went after mostly the betas and got a few bonuses here and there.

My F2P and PSN+ theory is that you can create and build a gaming audience that expects so much for free that It may become difficult to motivate them to buy games when they are released at premium rates. As I was saying the most played game on the PS4 PSN is War Thunder. Its just a theory.

Regarding software sales recently I cant find hard data on the breakdown of multiplatform titles. If someone finds the numbers/percentage break downs please post it.

Many games articles point to a source on Neogaf that has broken down some of the sales stats for May such as.

Wolfenstein: The New Order platform breakdown: 41% PlayStation 4, 38% Xbox One, 13% Xbox 360, 8% PlayStation 3

Watch Dogs: sold over 1.25 million copies in the US last month. It breaks down to a 46 percent share on the PlayStation 4, 29 percent share on the Xbox One, 14 percent share on the Xbox 360, and 11 percent share on the PlayStation 3.

Now the PS4 sales are better but ask yourself this. Shouldn't the sales be an awful lot better with the millions of additional PS4 units that have been sold compared to XB1.

Not really, I know quite a few people that only have a game or two for the PS4 as nothing else out there interests them yet, I only had one game up till this month besides the indie games and Killzone for a quid.

Correlation does not imply causation, particularly when it comes to something as subjective as games.

Not true. The biggest PS fanboy I know recently traded in his PS4 and got an Xbox One instead. He is big into his competitive gaming and he says the Xbox is alot better for it.

Also any neutral people I know who have got both the Xbox One and PS4 say the Xbox One is so much better than the PS4 and they hardly ever use it. Although that could all change if PS got a decent exclusive which has yet to happen.

Infamous Second Son.

You might not think it's a decent exclusive, but to a lot of people it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Wii U tbh ;)

• Advertisement

That's an interesting way of posting. Say some things that aren't true, then when they're questioned or corrected, laugh at "Sony defenders" and change sales figures to "just opinions".

Good stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement