Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

RasTa wrote: »
    Last Guardian trailer confirmed :D

Someone.. permaban this man right now! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Keep it civil and friendly, some of these posts are getting quite personal and incredibly unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Actually on topic, i've been seriously considering getting myself one of the consoles this week... not sure which one to go with...

Just kidding..obviously thinking PS4, been searching around for the best deals and such. Been eyeing up the Infamous Mega pack from game (£430), are there any better deals around does anyone know ? And does anyone know what hte state of pre-owned games is atm ? Probably looking to pick up a few cheaper games for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Magill wrote: »
    Actually on topic, i've been seriously considering getting myself one of the consoles this week... not sure which one to go with...

Just kidding..obviously thinking PS4, been searching around for the best deals and such. Been eyeing up the Infamous Mega pack from game (£430), are there any better deals around does anyone know ? And does anyone know what hte state of pre-owned games is atm ? Probably looking to pick up a few cheaper games for the moment.

I'd wait until summer is over before purchasing, buy + now if you don't have it and begin stacking games. Although worth a purchase when Last of Us remastered comes out if you haven't played it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

RasTa wrote: »
    I'd wait until summer is over before purchasing, buy + now if you don't have it and begin stacking games. Although worth a purchase when Last of Us remastered comes out if you haven't played it.

I was curious if they were going to release a console bundle for that next week, my searches yielded nothing though. Would be tempted by that.

• Advertisement

Good point actually, haven't played TLOU yet so might just wait for that, hopefully get a bundle.

Haven't had PS+ on the go lately, has there been anything worth adding yet on PS4 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'm still struggling to understand where your coming from on this front lol, its just such a strange viewpoint you have. If you could maybe elaborate on why you think they should be selling more software, the attach rate seems pretty high compared to almost any other console.. past or present.. higher than the XBO.

The PS4 has sold a crazy amount worldwide and cannot be compared to other consoles (attachment rates), blah, blah. People must just have a few of them on shelves gathering dust. We should be seeing more games sales. It will probably happen once a must buy game comes out for PS4.
    You were the one that mentioned CoD + BF selling better on XBO, yet you have yet to show any actual facts for this.

NPD report and publishers confirmed it back in December. Ghosts and BF4 came out at launch for both consoles. They didn't release the figures but stated the 2 titles had sold more copies on Xbox One.
    I probably shouldn't have bitten as you're clearly quite delusional on the whole next gen "race" thing and MS PR spinning machine have clearly done a number on you...

Thats cool, we all lose the head sometimes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Good point actually, haven't played TLOU yet so might just wait for that, hopefully get a bundle.

Haven't had PS+ on the go lately, has there been anything worth adding yet on PS4 ?

Probably not actually, Trine 2 is great but not worth buying + for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Penn wrote: »
    Infamous Second Son.

You might not think it's a decent exclusive, but to a lot of people it is.
    I played the single player and thought it was pretty poo. I didn't play the multiplayer so maybe I'm being harsh on it.

I too didn't get to play the multiplayer...

:pac:
    Okay, so that means we don't know how well a multi-platform sells on any platform. We just have the overall game sales.

On NPD software sales figures, the order of the platforms in brackets after denotes the hierarchy of greatest number of units. For instance, in the below figures, you will notice that for all of the multi-platform titles on PS4 and XBO, the PS4 numbers are higher as they are listed ahead of the XBO.

mario-kart-8-watch-dogs-help-game-sales-soar-in-may-npd-140295502026.jpg

If you have not played Trine 2, get on that now. Fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

After sticking with it for 20 confused hours... Warframe is a gem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

for all the next gen talk, I'm spending almost all of my gaming time on 360 playing dark souls that i got for free....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Owning all current gen consoles Ps4, Vita, Wii u and 3ds I am still playing mostly on my ps3. Next gen starts after summer with most of the games coming.

Alien ISolation , the evil within and destiny peaking my interest the most , also I cant bloody wait for hotline miami

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grayditch wrote: »
    After sticking with it for 20 confused hours... Warframe is a gem.

20 hours is just a run in m8. Trust me! :D

Check mogamu on youtube, he gives a very nice reviews on weapons and frames. Will give you better idea on which weapons to focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

If you were able to wait I'd probably pre order the Destiny bundle. That white PS4 looks very nice.

Well you've missed out in Resogun in particular and right now Trine 2. I had a lot of fun with Outlast and the others are all good without being essential games imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gamecentral published this interesting interview with Phil Spencer, which goes quite a bit beyond being a mere PR guff piece. He does have a habit of relying on one or two games to make his points, but his answers are a bit more humble and honest than you'd typically expect. Anyway, worth a read as the interviewer pushes him on quite a few topics:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/18/the-boss-of-xbox-phil-spencer-interview-i-want-to-sell-as-many-xbox-ones-as-i-possibly-can-4765793/

tok9 wrote: »
    If you were able to wait I'd probably pre order the Destiny bundle. That white PS4 looks very nice.

Well you've missed out in Resogun in particular and right now Trine 2. I had a lot of fun with Outlast and the others are all good without being essential games imo.

Ya, i'm not fussed on the colour really. Not too upset about what i've missed so far on PS+ since i've got Trine/Outlast etc on PC anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Gamecentral published this interesting interview with Phil Spencer, which goes quite a bit beyond being a mere PR guff piece. He does have a habit of relying on one or two games to make his points, but his answers are a bit more humble and honest than you'd typically expect. Anyway, worth a read as the interviewer pushes him on quite a few topics:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/18/the-boss-of-xbox-phil-spencer-interview-i-want-to-sell-as-many-xbox-ones-as-i-possibly-can-4765793/

The guy from the Metro is a good interviewer. He has had some candid conversations with Jim Ryan of SCEE too.

tok9 wrote: »

I have to say I really prefer the black PS4 to the white version, the black looks really sleek.

Whats funny is I prefer the white Xbox One instead of the black One.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

I've been mightly impressed with the xbox OS, looks like I picked the right time to own one, I heard it was a mess after launch, but it is great now. The PS4 edges it out with its simplicity though, the only thing I can think of missing is pausing downloads. With all the games coming out for both machines I'm going to be broke this year on top of having to buy a Wii U to complete this gens line up.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Would like to be able to put games and stuff in folders on the PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Varik wrote: »

Was thinking that myself.
    On PS3 I have RPG, Schmups etc - keeps it nice and tidy.

Varik wrote: »

I would love them at least to make it grid. When you get a ton of game scrolling all the way back is a pain in a hole.

beercr8te wrote: »
    I've been mightly impressed with the xbox OS, looks like I picked the right time to own one, I heard it was a mess after launch, but it is great now. The PS4 edges it out with its simplicity though, the only thing I can think of missing is pausing downloads. With all the games coming out for both machines I'm going to be broke this year on top of having to buy a Wii U to complete this gens line up.:D

The OS has really come a long way since November. The Xbox team have been very quick about listening to feedback and putting out OS updates every month.

Their feedback website as been a big part of it http://xbox.uservoice.com
    The website allows Xbox One users to add ideas and then these ideas can be voted on.

You can pause downloads and reorder how they download if you are downloading more than one item.

Took the plunge and bought a PS4 yesterday. Came with Infamous, CoD and 2 blurays. Bought MGS and wolfenstien aswel.. totalled at about £430, which wasn't too bad i thought.

First impressions are good, its responsive, looks great and the games play pretty well. Even CoD ghosts looks decent graphically, was getting my ass rammed though as i've not really played at all on console for the last 2/3 years. Infamous isn't as impressive looking as i'd have hoped, but then I guess its hard to be impressed by console graphics when coming from PC.

Party chat is a nice update to PS, was able to jump into a big lobby of the guys I used to play CoD with (Seems the chat size is pretty large ? Was expecting it to be restricted to 6 or something).

The controller is a nice improvement too, much nicer than the old one I think(And i preferred the DS3 to the Xbox controller !).

Took the plunge and bought a PS4 yesterday. Came with Infamous, CoD and 2 blurays. Bought MGS and wolfenstien aswel.. totalled at about £430, which wasn't too bad i thought.

First impressions are good, its responsive, looks great and the games play pretty well. Even CoD ghosts looks decent graphically, was getting my ass rammed though as i've not really played at all on console for the last 2/3 years. Infamous isn't as impressive looking as i'd have hoped, but then I guess its hard to be impressed by console graphics when coming from PC.

Party chat is a nice update to PS, was able to jump into a big lobby of the guys I used to play CoD with (Seems the chat size is pretty large ? Was expecting it to be restricted to 6 or something).

The controller is a nice improvement too, much nicer than the old one I think(And i preferred the DS3 to the Xbox controller !).

I though Infamous 2 looked really lovely, even if I am pc master Prick. Lightning effects and details are just great. Wait until you get other powers, which might make it look a bit more "nice".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

InFamous is very pretty in fairness. Wait until it gets dark...

That said the opening is pretty dull in terms of gameplay. I think I had more fun with the camera in game than playing the actual game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Is there any point in getting a PS4 if I already have an Xbox One?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Fescue wrote: »
    Is there any point in getting a PS4 if I already have an Xbox One?

Ive done that.. I've been a diehard xbox gamer ever since the first one came out. I hated the playstation controllers and was very surprised when I got the PS4 version.
    All I'm really playing on the XB1 is FIFA.
    I got the PS4 for gaming upstairs since I have a toddler downstairs who won't give me any peace now while gaming :).
    Got Infamous and Watchdogs for the PS4 and there's a load of free games for the PS4 as well.
    Coming out shortly is the The Last of Us....very good game which is being remade for the PS4 so looking forward to that as well.
    If you can afford it then it's nice to have both consoles as one of them should have a game to keep you busy most times etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Blazer wrote: »
    Ive done that.. I've been a diehard xbox gamer ever since the first one came out. I hated the playstation controllers and was very surprised when I got the PS4 version.
    All I'm really playing on the XB1 is FIFA.
    I got the PS4 for gaming upstairs since I have a toddler downstairs who won't give me any peace now while gaming :).
    Got Infamous and Watchdogs for the PS4 and there's a load of free games for the PS4 as well.
    Coming out shortly is the The Last of Us....very good game which is being remade for the PS4 so looking forward to that as well.
    If you can afford it then it's nice to have both consoles as one of them should have a game to keep you busy most times etc.

I have always hated the PlayStation controller. You think the PS4 controller is on a par with the Xbox one controller?

I have no such issues regarding toddlers so it really comes down to is the PS4 significantly better overall than the XBox one that it is worth purchasing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

yeah the dualshock 4 controller is on a par now with the xbox one I'd say..
    Its hard to know which to get if I had a choice to be honest. I like the Gears of War and Halo series but there's some PS4 games that I like as well.
    I think trying to decide which one is better is a bit early to say yet. Most consoles have poor selection of games in their first year and even though on paper the PS4 is more powerful than the XB1 Microsoft could turn it around with exclusive IPs but we're not seeing that yet.
    Ask me again in 6 months but I'm leaning towards the PS4 for long term gaming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement