Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Blazer wrote: »
    yeah the dualshock 4 controller is on a par now with the xbox one I'd say..
    Its hard to know which to get if I had a choice to be honest. I like the Gears of War and Halo series but there's some PS4 games that I like as well.
    I think trying to decide which one is better is a bit early to say yet. Most consoles have poor selection of games in their first year and even though on paper the PS4 is more powerful than the XB1 Microsoft could turn it around with exclusive IPs but we're not seeing that yet.
    Ask me again in 6 months but I'm leaning towards the PS4 for long term gaming.

I went for an Xbox One as I'd been very happy with the 360. Plus like you, Gears of War, Halo and Forza are games I play a lot.

I'll bide my time. See how things look at christmas. For now, I'm mostly playing my 360 anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not sure of the hate for the Playstation controllers.
    They may not have been always perfect but I sure have had literally years of fun playing games on each generation of Sony console.
    And let's not forget the giant of a controller the Xbox launched with, before being replaced with the previously Jap only controller S.
    The Dualshock controllers certainly aren't reason enough to avoid playing Playstation games and if it was, you'd have to be a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Loved that giant Xbox controller, just took to it like a duck to water, felt so natural the way my fingers just fell over the sticks and buttons without having to bend them, so nice to hold after years of holding the Dual Shock 1 and 2. I could not hit a thing playing Time Splitters on the PS but I could on the Xbox as my thumbs didn't keep touching each other like they did on the small Dualshock. The difference was amazing, I avoided playing any FPS game on PS because I just could not do it, just about got through Killzone 1 lol.

MS just took the excellect design of the DreamCast controller and perfected it imo.

Even Bungie are after turning round and saying they helped Sony with design input into making the DS4 better for FPS games back when they were discussing Destiny when it was just a concept. Sony themselves admitted the old Dualshock design was/is not great for shooters and the DS4 is designed to help solve that from community feed back and game developers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Had every PS since release and every Xbox since release,really dont get the whole xbox controller is better. Its always going to be subjective to the individual,in my case i actually prefer the DS,and i primarily play FPS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think you quickly adapt to whatever controller is standard and it becomes second nature.
    As much as I like the 360 controller it would feel very odd to try playing Ico with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I could never get used to either pad after years of Quake 2 playing so online Cod etc when it was big used to frustrate the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I just pick up whatever controller and get on with it.

I started playing Quake with the arrow keys and mouse.
    The whole wasd thing still buggers me up!
    But becoming proficient at Descent and it's sequel on the PS with a digital only pad means you can deal with anything!

MDK2 on PS2 was the first game that got me used to the dual analogue dealio.

Edit: Actually, surely it was way earlier than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not sure of the hate for the Playstation controllers.
    They may not have been always perfect but I sure have had literally years of fun playing games on each generation of Sony console.
    And let's not forget the giant of a controller the Xbox launched with, before being replaced with the previously Jap only controller S.
    The Dualshock controllers certainly aren't reason enough to avoid playing Playstation games and if it was, you'd have to be a fool.

has to be the worst post on here...the old controllers were awful and extremely uncomfortable after using them for a while..why on earth would I buy a console when I'd be unable to game on it for long periods of time?? I'd be a fool to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

has to be the worst post on here...the old controllers were awful and extremely uncomfortable after using them for a while..why on earth would I buy a console when I'd be unable to game on it for long periods of time?? I'd be a fool to...

I never found the Dualshock uncomfortable during long gaming sessions. I occasionally found the 360 one worse as my little fingers would go a bit numb playing for too long, but overall there was no real problem with either controller. Just depended on preference and how you sit/lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grayditch wrote: »
    I just pick up whatever controller and get on with it.

Pretty much same. I just play with what I got.

I did threw in rage 360 controller, because of its D-pad. Mortal Kombat last boss with that controller is just torture.

I did liked PS4 controller when I just got it, but ( here FailSafe jizzing in his pants right now ) playing a lot longer I started to find some things that annoy me.

Triggers are good, but I find them a bit hard to use with semi-automatic guns. I would be a lot better with them if I played more PS4.
    R3 and L3 are rubbish. I found DS2 to be a lot better, they got satisfying click and resistance and on PS4 ones are just l linier. I find my hands to get tired just because of those two buttons. In its defence it gets bad only on Warframe and Warframe is REALLY movement intensive.

Other then that I like it, but I have no problems to go back PS3 and and 360 controller when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

...the old controllers were awful and extremely uncomfortable after using them for a while..

This is why its subjective,i had zero pain playing for long periods with any of them. I think this is because i have large hands. So every persons experience with each controller is going to be different. Thats why i think blanket statements that one is better than the other are a waste of time really,its down to the individual and what works for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I have to tip my hat to DS4. It's a great improvement over DS3. It's nice and comfortable and the analog sticks are positioned well.

I think it isn't as good as the Xbox One controller. XB1's analog sticks are way more precise and positioned better than DS3. The grip on the analogs are made really well and help with getting more precise control of the sticks. Unfortunately the DS4 grips on the analog sticks wear down super fast.

The battery life of the XB1 controller is amazing when compared to the DS4.

I find L1 and R1 of the DS4 can get a little bit sticky at times. Particularly L1 for some reason.

It's a great step forward for Sony gamers. Sony should have switched the left analog stick and D-pad years ago in DS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Are you speaking from experience ? I didn't take you for someone that would buy a Sony product tbh.

I think you have to spend a bit of time before you can really say "XB1 analogs are WAY more precise", Because i've a feeling that you're just flat out wrong with that statement !

I can't image either control having a noticeable difference in precision. I haven't used the XB1 controller buthave heard people say quite often that if anything its a step backwards compared to the 360 ?

Either way, after a few hours of playing CoD I don't think i'll be putting myself through any more pain playing online shooters on a console again ! Just feels wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Never liked using triggers for shooting in any FPS, on the 360 you needed to as the shoulder buttons were terrible but I've always preferred using R1/L1 for shooting. The DS4 has much better trigger buttons than the DS3 but I still prefer using L1/L2 for shooting. It's not like a racing game where you need the extra control, you're either shooting or you're not and there's no need for a varying analogue input.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Varik wrote: »
    Never liked using triggers for shooting in any FPS, on the 360 you needed to as the shoulder buttons were terrible but I've always preferred using R1/L1 for shooting. The DS4 has much better trigger buttons than the DS3 but I still prefer using L1/L2 for shooting. It's not like a racing game where you need the extra control, you're either shooting or you're not and there's no need for a varying analogue input.

Really?, for me playing BF on PS4 for example I love the triggers for shooting. I can fire off exactly one round at a time just using trigger control and not having to switch to semi auto for head shots. So for me good triggers a very important for shooting and racing games. The DS3 triggers were just cack even with mods they were just too squishy. Using L1 and L2 just feels so wrong for shooting to me after using the Xbox controller for FPS games.

Seriously?
    You'd avoid an entire consoles game library because you find the controller uncomfortable?
    A controller designed not to be uncomfortable?
    Oh dear.

EoinHef wrote: »
    This is why its subjective,i had zero pain playing for long periods with any of them. I think this is because i have large hands. So every persons experience with each controller is going to be different. Thats why i think blanket statements that one is better than the other are a waste of time really,its down to the individual and what works for them.

I've played every damn console that's been about and I've found only the Jag and Colecovision ones to be uncomfortable, I didn't like the GC controller at all, but many reckon it's the best of all.
    The Snes pad is remarkable though.
    But, opinions on controllers are probably was variable as the number of persons handling them.

Just never get caught with the crappy third party one when playing local multiplayer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

the ps3 joypad was horrific, but by no means was it the worst , it was definitely playable, I just didnt like it
    the 360 joypad was almost right

I always said the size of the 360 joypad with the 360 thumbsticks along with the ds3 arrows and the joypad would be perfect

with the next gen joypads, I think the x1 is still better (only because of the placment of the thumbsticks) other then that their both quite even, hell I'd even the say ds4 joypad is bigger and suits my hands alot better, I find the x1 joypad is a little smaller which doesn't help me for my giantic hands

but to say you never bothered with the ps3 because of the joypad been "uncomfortable" well then you must have arthritis or something because its not so uncomfortable that you'd avoid an entire list of games because of the joypad alone, if it came down to money fair enough but for the joypad, really?

Sony are on the ball with their ds4, if they placed the thumbsticks the same way as the x1's I'd without doubt say they have the better joypad

but then again its all personal preference and thats how I would of preferred the ds4 to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Magill wrote: »
    Are you speaking from experience ? I didn't take you for someone that would buy a Sony product tbh.

I think you have to spend a bit of time before you can really say "XB1 analogs are WAY more precise", Because i've a feeling that you're just flat out wrong with that statement !

I can't image either control having a noticeable difference in precision. I haven't used the XB1 controller buthave heard people say quite often that if anything its a step backwards compared to the 360 ?

Either way, after a few hours of playing CoD I don't think i'll be putting myself through any more pain playing online shooters on a console again ! Just feels wrong.

I knew that would surprise a few people :p
    I've clocked a good few hours on DS4 playing Cod Ghosts

It might surprise you to know I am surrounded by Sony equipment. 50inch TV, old Sony desktop and laptop. Sony camcorder, DVD player, etc. You might remember Al Pacino in the film "The Recruit" , he says this line over and over “Nothing is what it seems" ;)

The XB1 analog sticks are more precise compared to DS4 & 360 controller. When I go back to play on my XB360 the controller it feels like I am steering a lorry while playing FPS lol. DS4 is nice but after an hour I start to lose a bit of grip on the left analog stick. I notice the left analog tends to wear down fast with many people buying better grips for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

He's probably spent years on the xbox controller and so is used to it. I played with a playstation controller from the ps1 days until now. I used to play MW2 every day for hours so was fairly handy at it. Played my mate on his xbox and he destroyed me in a 1v1. It was very frustrating and I thought the controller was crap. It wasn't till I got a 360 and got used to it that I thought it was decent. It's mad but you really need to use both a lot to judge them and to be I prefer the PS. (Although it might be because I used them a bit more, especially nowadays).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Seriously?
    You'd avoid an entire consoles game library because you find the controller uncomfortable?
    A controller designed not to be uncomfortable?
    Oh dear.

yep I would...I did try the PS3 for a while but I hated that bloody controller...the new dualshock is a massive improvement over it. Bout time for Sony really when you consider Microsoft spent over $1million on creating the 360 controller alone...and it shows..by far the best controller I've ever used.

There might be a market for a controller that moisturises hands and gives a manacure, with a little puff of talcum powder every hour, just so people don't miss out on The Last Of Us.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I knew that would surprise a few people :p
    I've clocked a good few hours on DS4 playing Cod Ghosts

It might surprise you to know I am surrounded by Sony equipment. 50inch TV, old Sony desktop and laptop. Sony camcorder, DVD player, etc. You might remember Al Pacino in the film "The Recruit" , he says this line over and over “Nothing is what it seems" ;)

The XB1 analog sticks are more precise compared to DS4 & 360 controller. When I go back to play on my XB360 the controller it feels like I am steering a lorry while playing FPS lol. DS4 is nice but after an hour I start to lose a bit of grip on the left analog stick. I notice the left analog tends to wear down fast with many people buying better grips for them.

I've not had mine long enough to notice any wear down yet but have heard some similar reports. Still won't take your word for xbox1 being more accurate considering how little the tech has changed and will just put it down to you playing most of the time on xb1. Oh... and sorry I don't believe you have a ps4 :)

Of all the reasons people have posted in forums over the years of why they play one console and never the other I've never, up until now, heard the excuse "the controller is too uncomfortable".
    even the most fevered Fanboys, with their sexual responses attuned to the sight of one console manufacturer logo only, have never used it as a reason to never play Playstation.
    I salute you Sir!
    I never thought I'd very genuinely surprised on the Internet again!

Now, go and get a 360 to PS3 adapter and a PS3 then start playing all those great games you've missed.
    Don't worry about Killzone, it's sh1te ;)

I've not had mine long enough to notice any wear down yet but have heard some similar reports. Still won't take your word for xbox1 being more accurate considering how little the tech has changed and will just put it down to you playing most of the time on xb1. Oh... and sorry I don't believe you have a ps4 :)

can he not just post a pic of it here using some of his other sony equipment. he must have a nice sony camera :p he could put a page on it with a bit of writing saying failsafe was here. I know he could do it in a mates house but we'd all believe him a lot more if he did.

Of all the reasons people have posted in forums over the years of why they play one console and never the other I've never, up until now, heard the excuse "the controller is too uncomfortable".
    even the most fevered Fanboys, with their sexual responses attuned to the sight of one console manufacturer logo only, have never used it as a reason to never play Playstation.
    I salute you Sir!
    I never thought I'd very genuinely surprised on the Internet again!

Now, go and get a 360 to PS3 adapter and a PS3 then start playing all those great games you've missed.
    Don't worry about Killzone, it's sh1te ;)

he prob doesn't like the xbox to playstation controller adapters either!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Oh... and sorry I don't believe you have a ps4 :)

funny because i could of sworn he plays PS4 via HDMI input on XB1 so he's in party chat with most if his clan.

in fact i remember him posting a pic of the setup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

miju wrote: »
    funny because i could of sworn he plays PS4 vua HDMI input on XB1 so he's in party chat with most if his clan

Will somebody please think of the electricity bills! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement