Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

People who are saying they are going to buy both.... Are ya mad??? Take that €900 (not including an extra controller and launch titles so more like €1000) and build a gaming PC, you'd build an absolute monster of a machine for €900.

I'm glad console players are getting the F2P games like Planetside 2 and Warframe, they really are excellent. Will PC and console players be on the same servers in planetside 2 I wonder?? That would be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

Grayditch wrote: »
    Can't see the PS4 dropping under 400 anytime soon. It's a great price, in fairness.

Well I just paid €500 for an Xbox One and a PS4 would be mostly the sames games except for the exclusives in which I have no interest.

In fairness to Sony they had Little Big Planet and Wipeout Hd on PS3 which I really enjoyed.

Edit Hamsterball was really fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

MadYaker wrote: »
    People who are saying they are going to buy both.... Are ya mad??? Take that €900 (not including an extra controller and launch titles so more like €1000) and build a gaming PC, you'd build an absolute monster of a machine for €900.

Most people on either side prefer console style gaming I presume, as well as the exclusives, Gears, Halo, Uncharted, Killzone and the social feel of the Xbox Live and PSN networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Well I just paid €500 for an Xbox One and a PS4 would be mostly the sames games except for the exclusives in which I have no interest.

In fairness to Sony they had Little Big Planet and Wipeout Hd on PS3 which I really enjoyed.

Edit Hamsterball was really fun.

Have you played any Naughty Dog games? I hugely recommend it, if not.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Have you played any Naughty Dog games? I hugely recommend it, if not.

Crash Bandicoot.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Crash Bandicoot.:o

They only get better from there on friend :P

Timmyctc wrote: »
    They only get better from there on friend :P

Being serious I am well aware that they made the highly successful Uncharted series.

I had all 3 Playstations and now all 3 Xbox consoles.

I got an Xbox One as I had to pick one or the other this time given the price and Xbox One has more games coming I went for it as opposed to PS4.

Fan boys who pick one side miss out of some of the very best games.

Like you mentioned Naughty Dog makes great games.

On Xbox there is Forza which in my opinion puts Grand Turismo to shame.
    Shooting games is the strongest link in the Xbox exclusive catalog.

The Halo and Gears of War game are very impressive and playable.

Its a pity Microsoft and Sony could not agree on a joint platform but one sided Fan Boys of either side miss out on some of the best games.

I'm glad there are two platforms. It creates competition. Without Microsoft, I doubt Sony would be so generous with the PsPlus, and without Sony, we'd be dealing with the kind of restrictive and intrusive policies Microsoft tried to launch the Xbox with.

I'm glad there are two platforms. It creates competition. Without Microsoft, I doubt Sony would be so generous with the PsPlus, and without Sony, we'd be dealing with the kind of restrictive and intrusive policies Microsoft tried to launch the Xbox with.

Two Platforms so we all agree the Wii U is a bad joke from Nintendo.:P

Most people on either side prefer console style gaming I presume, as well as the exclusives, Gears, Halo, Uncharted, Killzone and the social feel of the Xbox Live and PSN networks.

I can understand it for the exclusives alright, I've never played Halo or Uncharted or any of the exclusives. There's no way I'm forking out for one of the new consoles but I've been considering picking up a cheap PS3 in the next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Are people making the decision based upon games that are out now or that are incoming? None of the launch games are really spectacular on either console but never really are, I find it surprising though that Microsoft have only 15 exclusive games announced so far and 8 console exclusive games, compared to 28 exclusives and 67 console exclusives with Sony, competition is always a good thing though. Has that figure persuaded people to go with one over the other, people who are not interested in the gimmicks of either console and just the games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

People who are saying they are going to buy both.... Are ya mad???
    I was never one to take gossip seriously.
    Take that €900
    The issue is I'm not going to be thinking "ah, yes, today I'll go and spend 900 euros. Off I go." I'll end up spending more as I'll be getting the Wii U too, but it will be over time. I'll get one of them, then at some point later get another, and then eventually get the last of the 3.
    (not including an extra controller and launch titles so more like €1000) and build a gaming PC, you'd build an absolute monster of a machine for €900.
    Thank you. I've never ever heard of this idea of upgrading my PC. I didn't even know that was an option. Wow, what a new world you have shown to me.[/sarcasm]

Sorry, but the games I'm going to want to get are primarily going to be console games. My PC is pretty decent except the graphics card which I'd need to upgrade. Except, within the limits of what my PC can do, I never take advantage of them pretty much. I spent a lot of time on Civilization 5, but aside from that in all my life, it's been very limited in terms of what I'd play on PC. Consoles are just my thing. I like the games, I like the systems, I like the controllers.

If some great game comes out to motivate me to up my graphics card then I'll do it, yes, but if PC has a strong case to make, it can make it itself in terms of games to win me over to it. I don't need evangelists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

I see all the Fifa, cod and bf4 xb1 ads on the telly. A lot of people only play a few games a year including these. I suppose it comes down to extra features/early access maps etc over slightly better graphics.

Do many PC gamers play their PC in their living room?

Nolars wrote: »
    I see all the Fifa, cod and bf4 xb1 ads on the telly. A lot of people only play a few games a year including these. I suppose it comes down to extra features/early access maps etc over slightly better graphics.

I got the Fifa Game on Xbox One and I just remembered the first Fifa game I ever got things have improved to say the least.

I doubt it. I share a house with 3 other students so my PC is in my bedroom. Id say most people who built their own have it in their bedroom, unless they are older and married with kids etc or using the family PC.

I would guess the ones that have their PC in the living room.:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

most people I game with do.Made a big change over to mainly pc gaming last year and connected it to the 50" in the living room so could use it as a media device as well.Not being down on console gaming as I've owned pretty much every console since the master system, but at the moment any games that are coming out on either console that'd I'd play, are also on PC and I can play them with my xbox controller in my living room just as easily as I could on a console.Main difference for me is (bar the obvious graphical benefits and far more PC exclusives) I get the games cheaper on PC and I don't have to pay an extra fee to play on line.I never understand where people get the idea that its harder to game on a pc in your living room. Thanks to Steam and other apps ,it's almost identical to using XBL or the PSN, except it's no where near as restrictive and its free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Yup, I has a desk set up with my PC on in in the living/dining/kitchen room. Used to keep it in my bedroom when I lived with 6 strangers who liked to have people over that broke into rooms and trashed the place.

I think the Steambox has a better chance of knocking the consoles out of the living room, as it stands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I also played my pc in my living room. Had it, as well as the PS3 and 360, connected to the tv. Definitely used the PC more, as it's far easier for stuff like Netflix and general net browsing (not to mention the types of games i tend to play). Consoles got a fair amount of use though. Was a pretty handy setup.

Will almost certainly do the same again once i get a PS4...and X1. And a pc. And a tv. And an apartment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If you buying a console based on launch titles - you are doing it wrong. Specially in this case, both MS and Sony launch exclusives are not great, and not even at good level too.
    Its easy to label person a fanboy, who gets only one consolle, but majority can't afford both machines, so choices need to be made.

I do plan on getting Xbox one later for exclusives, but with such a ****y way of day one dlc and micro transactions it went to the bottom on priority list. Exclusives are not great at all, so I might pick up console which has a great track record for exclusives and already runs multiplatform games way more efficient.

So Ps4 now on Thursday night, then I plan on getting wii u. By that time I will be able to get something tasty for my pc as at the moment power wise it does everything 110%. Lastly, when got all that sortred and when Xbox one will drop in price - I might get it, if the next forza won't be complete money grab dlc whore as the current ones is.

I can already feel Xbox army breathing down my neck - Titanfall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep your panties on lads. I will be able to play it 1080p 60fps on my pc when it's out. So the massive exclusive , that MS is putting all its eggs in to is not even a lever to get me to buy Xbox one. We don't even know if its going to be any good too.

If you buying a console based on launch titles - you are doing it wrong.

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Well, it is always expected that some of the units will be fecked. It's just matter of how badly media will swing it out of control. I am surprised they did not tried as hard to label Xbox one as "doomed for life" device.

As for MS - fair play. Something is better then nothing.

I agree, I wasnt having a go at the xbox. To me its more important how a company reacts after a failure of a product than the failure of the machine itself. As with any hardware there is to be an expected failure rate. The microscope thats on these new consoles is insane, so small issues can get blown out of proportion, as you say by the media or the internet.

For example MS were great when it came to replacing 360's with the rrod while sony were not easy to deal with when the ps3 got ylod. Made me jump through hoops and then eventually decided I had to deal with the retailer, game, and they were most unhelpful till I talked to head office. Even then they insisted on trying to repair the ps3 3 times before giving me store credit for the amount they charged for second hand ps3's!! Had to put €80 to that credit to get a new ps, imo thats terrible customer service considering it was a fault with the ps 3 and I was only a month outside of year warranty.

I do like the idea of MS giving something to people who got defective consoles, must be so disappointing to get a console day one and it be a paperweight. At least its some form of compensation! Lets see if Sony will match that for people who got defective PS4's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

EoinHef wrote: »
    I do like the idea of MS giving something to people who got defective consoles,

I REALLLLY like the way Microsoft are sending people affected out a brand new Xbox and giving them a free AAA game to download and play whilst waiting on the new one to arrive by post, before sending off the broken disc drive one. That is class customer service!

I got RRoD on 360 once in the 7 or so years I had it and it hurts waiting 2-3 weeks on it to be repaired lol

Has there been much of a problem with xbones bricking?

Very few problems with either console thankfully. There has been issues, but they seem to be rolling out with no major problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Has there been much of a problem with xbones bricking?

No problems whatsoever apart from some people who got impatient during the initial update and decided to turn off there xbox lol

Just very few errors, a few disc drives for some unfortunate people is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Two Platforms so we all agree the Wii U is a bad joke from Nintendo.:P

Right now it's the best next gen console based on games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

DaLad wrote: »
    I REALLLLY like the way Microsoft are sending people affected out a brand new Xbox and giving them a free AAA game to download and play whilst waiting on the new one to arrive by post, before sending off the broken disc drive one. That is class customer service!

I got RRoD on 360 once in the 7 or so years I had it and it hurts waiting 2-3 weeks on it to be repaired lol

Agreed, the wait to get the console back was agonising!!

I was unlucky, had one xbox rrod and two playstations ylod all in the space of two and a half years:(

Didnt have a problem with either after the later revisions of each console

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement