Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Cienciano wrote: »
    You can't come in here for advice, it's getting ridiculous.
    Just change the thread title to: Buy a PS4, lock and sticky it and save people the hassle

This post is missing one more thanks lol! :pac::D

Grayditch wrote: »
    When two sets of people are using the 'I know more people with broken Playboxes than X-Stations" stick to beat the integrity of either console, it's cringeworthy.

Dya need more than that, or will that suffice?

We all know Gii-13 is still better then both though! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Grayditch wrote: »
    When two sets of people are using the 'I know more people with broken Playboxes than X-Stations" stick to beat the integrity of either console, it's cringeworthy.

Dya need more than that, or will that suffice?

two sets out of millions
    don't think it really matters
    if it was anything that really mattered it would be on every gaming site

if it helps my mates xbox one bricked at launch:pac: he switched to pc though suppose if your one of the unlucky people to have actually gotten a bricked console at launch it would really annoy you, If that happened to my xbox or ps4 I don't think I'd bother rebuying them until the price went down
    hate all the hassle of sending it off to get repaired or waiting weeks for a replacement
    probably took longer for people who bought a ps4 if it got bricked because the thing was always sold out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

what i cant quite understand is how would the ps4 be having issues and the one not. all but 2 components in the consoles is off the same line (the ram, the cpu, gpu). the ESRAM and the Hard drives are the only unique components and most of the hard drive components are made in the same place

the reason you here about them more is theres more ps4's in the wild thats it

both will have your standard failure rates for electronics we are no where near ylod/rrod

and as for the bias/neutral issue im fairly neutral in this as shown below (minus the wii U bias)

IMG_20140626_215350-EFFECTS.jpg

People here on both sides need to cool their ****ing tits and not take everything as a an attack and that goes for both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Jaysus lads, try not to get so defensive. You'd swear someone called your children ugly.

Just because one PS4 as bit the dust doesn't mean you have to mount an enormous defence. Do you guys represent the tobacco industries by any chance :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Anything worthwhile to add to the debate?

This thread stopped being a debate as soon as the OP hit "submit new thread".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I seem to remember the RROD of the 360 being big news, and a major undermining of the consoles position, until MS came up with a solid and reliable way to replace consoles, as well as constantly updating the hardware design.
    On the otherhand didn't Sony fight all the way, concerning the YLOD, I know I got no satisfaction from them when my 60gb snuffed it following an update.
    They wouldn't assist in anyway and basically told me that was that over the help line.
    I was surprised, tbh, given the pretty good service they provided in the days of the PS, while the PS2 never really had any issues for me at all, with my launch console lasting over ten years, until it was nobbled in a lightning storm.

But, here we are again, with XB1 and PS4 being struck with hardware failures.
    And every failed console matters because it can add up to something more, it will certainly indicate which company is interested in customer service, depending on the assistance given to owners of the devices.

The idea that a €400 machine should be only expected to operate for a year before the manufacturer is off the hook for future issues is obscene.
    I don't know the details, so owners of the PS4 and XB1 here can enlighten me, what are the policies on inoperable consoles, in terms of returns and so on.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The idea that a €400 machine should be only expected to operate for a year before the manufacturer is off the hook for future issues is obscene.
    I don't know the details, so owners of the PS4 and XB1 here can enlighten me, what are the policies on inoperable consoles, in terms of returns and so on.
    standard one year policy through sony/ms. though the 1 year is meaningless in the EU and in the UK and Ireland you can deal with the retailer and they have to deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

is it not like 2 years warranty in the EU?
    I know the console themselfs come with a year but under EU law is it not 2years for electronics?

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    is it not like 2 years warranty in the EU?
    I know the console themselfs come with a year but under EU law is it not 2years for electronics?

2 under EU but no definite length in the UK and ireland as both countries offer better protection (ie if a piece of kit costs 400 you expect it to last longer than 2 years if it doesnt it wasnt fit for purpose)

• Advertisement

NTMK wrote: »
    what i cant quite understand is how would the ps4 be having issues and the one not. all but 2 components in the consoles is off the same line (the ram, the cpu, gpu). the ESRAM and the Hard drives are the only unique components and most of the hard drive components are made in the same place

the reason you here about them more is theres more ps4's in the wild thats it

both will have your standard failure rates for electronics we are no where near ylod/rrod

and as for the bias/neutral issue im fairly neutral in this as shown below (minus the wii U bias)

IMG_20140626_215350-EFFECTS.jpg

People here on both sides need to cool their ****ing tits and not take everything as a an attack and that goes for both sides

Ah you see, but here is the problem. Some people throw it out that PS4 is pretty much broken as soon as you take out seal of the box and xbox one is great and only has "low quality" headphone. That is the reason why they would prefer xbox one.
    Then anyone who actually says that "its a normal thing to have failures in modern technology" and gives counter argument is being called out as Sony fanboy and then being told "Dont be so defensive lads XOXOXO", which is pretty much bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I think Amazon's reviews is a good sample size and indicator of the true failure rate which would be ALOT higher than what Sony claimed in November. Basically using Amazon's you're listening to the consumer and not released statements from companies or gaming websites.

Like Amazon, that may just be a case of sample size :pac:

How did you work that one out ? did you go through all the reviews and pick out all the ones with failures or is there an actual report ? I'm genuinely curious.

From a quick glance..xbox one has a 3.6 star rating to the ps4's 4.1 suggesting a higher satisfaction rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

its funny because no one here actually attacked sony and no one is blowing anything out of proportion
    hes making it out as if we said every ps4 is bricking when all someone said was "my mates console bricked and he traded it in for an xbox one"
    hardly saying every ps4 is having a power failure and everyone is turning to the xbox one
    its common sense that a few will power fail just like anything else
    hes defending sony in a childish way :L which is very entertaining considering hes a pc master race kinda guy :L
    Group? haha I am always praising sony lad so please stop this group nonsense

so cop on :pac: groups... haha pathetic

Ye, you're totally not part of a group and there isn't any bias in anything you've ever posted.
    Group? haha I am always praising sony lad so please stop this group nonsense

so cop on :pac: groups... haha pathetic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's always the same names... Any more of this sort of rubbish and we're going to start dishing out warnings and infractions, bans if necessary. Some warnings have already been given to posters today.

If every time you post here you kick off, purposefully or otherwise, a full on flame war, then it would be well advised to adjust to a more moderate posting style. And please resist the temptation to respond to the more ridiculous claims and goading posts, that just makes everything worse. Please report any offending or troublesome posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

We need a new name for Godwin's Law here to cover consoles thingy :D

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I seem to remember the RROD of the 360 being big news, and a major undermining of the consoles position, until MS came up with a solid and reliable way to replace consoles, as well as constantly updating the hardware design.
    On the otherhand didn't Sony fight all the way, concerning the YLOD, I know I got no satisfaction from them when my 60gb snuffed it following an update.
    They wouldn't assist in anyway and basically told me that was that over the help line.
    I was surprised, tbh, given the pretty good service they provided in the days of the PS, while the PS2 never really had any issues for me at all, with my launch console lasting over ten years, until it was nobbled in a lightning storm.

But, here we are again, with XB1 and PS4 being struck with hardware failures.
    And every failed console matters because it can add up to something more, it will certainly indicate which company is interested in customer service, depending on the assistance given to owners of the devices.

I had just the opposite with Sony when my first PS3 died. Rang them up and they organized a courier but I managed to get it working again and they sent me out a free copy of Uncharted for the hassle. It died a few months later and they again organized a courier and then shipped me a replacement console for no cost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had just the opposite with Sony when my first PS3 died. Rang them up and they organized a courier but I managed to get it working again and they sent me out a free copy of Uncharted for the hassle. It died a few months later and they again organized a courier and then shipped me a replacement console for no cost.

That sounds like the experience I expected to have.
    No, they said the console was too old and out of warranty.

Only time will tell how the current hardware release fares, fingers crossed they'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mario Kart 8 has sold 2 million copies world wide in the month since its release. System sales are also up.

Boom.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

RasTa wrote: »
    Boom.

looks at thread title...scratches head :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

looks at thread title...scratches head :pac:

Nintendo is back, PC debate too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

No issues to speak of with the X1 and Wii U so far.

Can I just wax lyrical here and say that having owned s SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U with about 15 games on each and 4 controllers on most I've NEVER EVER ONCE had an official bit of Nintendo hardware break on me :):P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Cormac... wrote: »
    Can I just wax lyrical here and say that having owned s SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U with about 15 games on each and 4 controllers on most I've NEVER EVER ONCE had an official bit of Nintendo hardware break on me :):P:pac:

My Wii's disk drive failed after about a year. N64 and NES are still going strong though. No moving parts = less chance of failure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

My Wii failed too. My SNES, PS2, GC and Xbox are still going well though. I will agree that consoles don't seem to be made so robust since gen 7 though.

I had a problem with my Wii.
    Screen tearing issues, to do with the GPU heating up as a result of an issue with the Wiiconnect function being left on.
    That said, the failure rate seems very low.
    If you want 360/PS3 levels of failure you need to look at the NES, it's connector always winds up needing replacement due to some god awful design.
    The Famicom, on the other hand, still works like a charm, as does the rest.
    Even my Virtual Boy, with its rapidly moving mirrors in the eyepiece display, still works just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Well I guess if I use the Wii or Wii U for the amount of hours I've used previous Nintendo consoles or my PS3 of X-Box 360 (cause I've not bought, nor have any interest in the PS4 or X-Box One until maybe 15-18 months when there's a strong catalog - IN MY OPINION - of next-gen exclusive games on either or both) then it too would probably up and die or at least experience issues. Funnily enough I never had issues with my PS or X-Box. Guess I'm in the 75% or whatever that don't have any issues thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Thankfully I have not had any of my 20+ consoles/handhelds break, although I have broken about 5 controllers over the years due to rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

I'm one of the unfortunate ones that's had a failure of each brand over the years. My PS2 started eating game discs and eventually short circuited somehow. My 360 got the RROD, the Wii had the disk drive failure and now the PS4 failed. My old megadrive no longer works but that was only after trying to use it when it had been stored for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Cormac... wrote: »
    Well I guess if I use the Wii or Wii U for the amount of hours I've used previous Nintendo consoles or my PS3 of X-Box 360 (cause I've not bought, nor have any interest in the PS4 or X-Box One until maybe 15-18 months when there's a strong catalog - IN MY OPINION - of next-gen exclusive games on either or both) then it too would probably up and die or at least experience issues. Funnily enough I never had issues with my PS or X-Box. Guess I'm in the 75% or whatever that don't have any issues thankfully

Likewise, my year one xbox360/ps3 still going strong. The only console thats ever bricked on me was an N64.. but I think the replacement one I got is still working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Only systems that come to mind that broke where the ps1 and ps2 that stopped reading disks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I've had an xbox 360/ps3/2xps2/ps1/wii all break. It is just pot luck really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement