Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

My old 8 year old PC have not broken down once. It was on pretty much 24/7, because it was not just gaming device. I gave it away to my buddy and it is still going strong.

My current PC is 3 years old and working 24/7 and still not a scratch on it.

Thats why I choose PCs, they are just more reliable then everything else put together. :cool::pac:

• Sorry slightly off-topic mods but don't want to open a new thread.

Where is the best place at the moment to buy a PS4 @ retail?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Sorry slightly off-topic mods but don't want to open a new thread.

Where is the best place at the moment to buy a PS4 @ retail?

Not sure on the prices down south, but i bought one in GAME last week. Was £380 for the Infamous/Watchdogs bundle, also included CoD or BF4 and 2 Blurays. Plus got Wolfenstein for like £20 when you buy anything else in store.

Also got £17 worth of credit on the storecard thing, so thats handy enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

*looks inside thread*

*backs out the door*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

*looks inside thread*

*backs out the door*

homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

• Advertisement

• CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif
    That gif never gets old :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

My Wii's disk drive failed after about a year. N64 and NES are still going strong though. No moving parts = less chance of failure

I had to open my Wii to properly seat a ribbon cable after I developed an odd green tint to all graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I remember when I had my ps2
    for some reason some games disc's wouldnt load but others would
    so everytime I went to buy a new game it was like 50/50 whether it would work or not :L

my ps1 never broke though the big one that first came out, great little console.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Magill wrote: »
    Honestly.... are there any reports of widespread PS4 failures ? (Actual legitimate reports) Because every piece of tech has a failure rate... my own company make very high end scientific cameras, costing upwards of £30,000 per unit... with a great reputation for quality... yet even our products have a 3% early mortality rate (Failure within the first 3 months).

That would be on par with what I had experianced over the years. It even has a name. Although I have sat on a meeting with a Multinational who described a 1 year 16% failure rate of hard-drives as normal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That would be on par with what I had experianced over the years. It even has a name. Although I have sat on a meeting with a Multinational who described a 1 year 16% failure rate of hard-drives as normal.

And this makes it all the more important that any and all manufacturers of expensive electronic goods, such as games consoles, are willing to replace quickly consoles that develop such faults, rather than fob you off with weak excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Went through 3 Playstation ones in the first launch day when I bought a third party controller to go with it...each time I'd attempt to play fifa or Independence day and it would blow. Luckily Game changed it each time before I copped it was the controller and explained it to them....after I had received a good one ;) they removed those controllers from the display after that.
    Apart from that I'd only ever had a problem with Xbox 360 elite which apparently had the cooler running GPU etc ...still gave me the 3 RROD a day later and changed it back in smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've had a PS2 that started scratching disks, 2 RROD 360s, and for a while my PS4 kept turning itself on, ejecting the disk and even with the disk out kept trying to eject it (turned out to be a screw that needed to be tightened a bit which was very easy to do).

Consoles have failure rates. Last gen between the 360 RROD and the PS3 YLOD, the rate was a lot higher than it should have been. This gen, we'll only really know when the consoles have been out for a year or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Only had a problem with my launch PS3 which I had reballed and my slim PS2 which was more due to people being rough with it, I'd to resolder the connection for the power (people kept the wire out rather than plug out the system as there was no on/off switch).

My Snes, Gameboy, Megadrive, TG 16, DC, GC and 3DO have never given me any trouble.
    It's the hot running modern consoles that give the problems.
    I'd say the DS and 3DS,Vita too, will be running long after every PSP had bitten the diary, thanks to its esoteric UMD drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Even my Virtual Boy, with its rapidly moving mirrors in the eyepiece display, still works just fine.

Had to google that one. What's it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

My Snes, Gameboy, Megadrive, TG 16, DC, GC and 3DO have never given me any trouble.
    It's the hot running modern consoles that give the problems.
    I'd say the DS and 3DS,Vita too, will be running long after every PSP had bitten the diary, thanks to its esoteric UMD drive.

That UMD drive was a piece of poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I have a PS4 that actually works. I play games on it, although only Warframe lately. I'll have a look at Strider free* on PS+.

+instant game on PS+.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

I have to say PS+ is a great deal when you have the PS3, 4 and Vita. Several decent games per month on each.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

Never had any breakdowns with my PS3, DS, 3DS, Vita, 2 PSP's, saturn, wii, dreamcast, megadrive, amiga, c64, original xbox, however the 2 xbox 360's in our house have had to be sent off to microsoft once for RRD and now one of them will have to be sent away again for the same fault. Both PS4 and Xbox 1 in the house are going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

I have to say PS+ is a great deal when you have the PS3, 4 and Vita. Several decent games per month on each.

It certainly is, doki doki universe this month is cross buy as well, my daughter loves that game.:D

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Had to google that one. What's it like?

It's a remarkable thing.
    It displays a genuine 3 dimensional image, albeit in monochrome, red and black.
    The device seems to be as powerful as a NES/GB but something like Red Alarm is more like a wireframe Starfox, here's a video, but you have to remember the real game is in 3D.

Historically people complained of headaches and sore eyes but I've never experienced either, once the machine is set up right it's no more uncomfortable than a 3DS.

Here's the pack in game, the excellent Marios Tennis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's a remarkable thing.
    It displays a genuine 3 dimensional image, albeit in monochrome, red and black.
    The device seems to be as powerful as a NES/GB but something like Red Alarm is more like a wireframe Starfox, here's a video, but you have to remember the real game is in 3D.

Historically people complained of headaches and sore eyes but I've never experienced either, once the machine is set up right it's no more uncomfortable than a 3DS.

Here's the pack in game, the excellent Marios Tennis

That looks deadly! Strange looking machine, I see it has a d-pad on both sides of the controller, standard now with sticks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love my virtualboy. Not many games on it but most of them are really good. It's far more powerful than a NES. It can do 3d sprite scaling and has a 32 bit processor. It's closer to a gba.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I love my virtualboy. Not many games on it but most of them are really good. It's far more powerful than a NES. It can do 3d sprite scaling and has a 32 bit processor. It's closer to a gba.

Thanks god it did not cough on. Just from watching those videos I got a headache.

I kinda meant it looked like a GB in terms of the style, but it is pretty powerful.
    Galactic Pinball is amazing as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thanks god it did not cough on. Just from watching those videos I got a headache.

It actually looks a hell of a lot better on the actual hardware. The 3d effect is amazing, far better than any 3D television. Part of the problem with the machine was that it is impossible to see how good the 3D effect is unless you use it so it was a tough sell for Nintendo. Well that and the horrible design that would give you neck pain.

It actually looks a hell of a lot better on the actual hardware. The 3d effect is amazing, far better than any 3D television. Part of the problem with the machine was that it is impossible to see how good the 3D effect is unless you use it so it was a tough sell for Nintendo. Well that and the horrible design that would give you neck pain.

It was advertised as portable game console too lol.

The issue nintendo had is part of the issue this year's e3 sony conference had. Yes, they got this new technology, but no way of showing it off unless giving every single person q headset.
    I wonder will whole VR technology have this issue when it goes out in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I think the design is a Japanese thing, going by what Sony have said about Morpheus the Japanese commonly don't like weight resting their faces which is why the Morpheus straps on to your head and then rest in front of your face.
    The issue nintendo had is part of the issue this year's e3 sony conference had. Yes, they got this new technology, but no way of showing it off unless giving every single person q headset.
    I wonder will whole VR technology have this issue when it goes out in the market.

From watching Jimmy Fallon and Conan O'Brien it's not going to be as bad for the generally public to get interested but who know how many will make the jump from interest to actually buying the thing.

So, what were saying is, don't buy the PS4, XB1 or WiiU, get a Virtual Boy instead?

Actually I'm not sure even I can get behind that argument...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Looks like Sony $hit the bed with PlayStation Now.

Their prices are insane. I was really hoping it would be a Netflix style subscription service where you'd pay x amount for access to a library of games.

776913073629254216.jpg

776913073743646024.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement