Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

I was all set to pick up the Ps4 in two weeks time, coming from the 360, I was impressed with the Ps4 system and the games coming out. But these reported Ps4 failures, it reminds me to much of the 360 failures in the early days. Not sure I could face posting consoles back to Sony. And Sony not putting consumers minds at rest.....very worrying....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Looks like Sony $hit the bed with PlayStation Now.

Their prices are insane. I was really hoping it would be a Netflix style subscription service where you'd pay x amount for access to a library of games.

LMFAO at those prices they are nuts, sure I can buy a AAA game on XB1 for the price of renting it for 90 days on PS4 its a bit ofa rip off TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

NORTH1 wrote: »
    I was all set to pick up the Ps4 in two weeks time, coming from the 360, I was impressed with the Ps4 system and the games coming out. But these reported Ps4 failures, it reminds me to much of the 360 failures in the early days. Not sure I could face posting consoles back to Sony. And Sony not putting consumers minds at rest.....very worrying....

Where are you hearing that from? its nothing compared to the 360. not even close

theirs been f all ps4 failures
    My one is grand and I got it at launch, I'm sure their are loads of people here that have theirs since launch with no failures

theirs always going to be some failures with a launch but so far both consoles have been going quite smoothly with very little failures which is a surprise, I'd thought their would be a hella alot more

edit: disappointed with those ps now prices, was hoping for a netflix type sub as well :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Looks like Sony $hit the bed with PlayStation Now.

Their prices are insane. I was really hoping it would be a Netflix style subscription service where you'd pay x amount for access to a library of games.

I had no interest in Playstation Now and with those prices I'd say a lot of people will just vote with their wallets.
    Ridiculous pricing.

Have you got a link to these "failures" - both xbox one and PS4 have been very reliable to date.

Of course there have been failures of both consoles, but nothing of the scale you seem to be implying.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Where are you hearing that from? its nothing compared to the 360. not even close

theirs been f all ps4 failures
    My one is grand and I got it at launch, I'm sure their are loads of people here that have theirs since launch with no failures

theirs always going to be some failures with a launch but so far both consoles have been going quite smoothly with very little failures which is a surprise, I'd thought their would be a hella alot more

That's something I'm use to hearing from Microsoft, I know one guy personal posted his Ps4 backf last week, and i have read here from Gruber? Back a couple of pages posted his back.

Not my kind of odds, I waited on the xbox one then changed my mind to the ps4, now I'll just give it another couple of months.....if i can muster the will power.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

That's something I'm use to hearing from Microsoft, I know one guy personal posted his Ps4 backf last week, and i have read here from Gruber? Back a couple of pages posted his back.

Not my kind of odds, I waited on the xbox one then changed my mind to the ps4, now I'll just give it another couple of months.....if i can muster the will power.

I can only assume your friend bought his directly from Sony and that's why he had to post it to them.
    I bought mine(launch) and will be dealing with Gamestop if I get any problems with it as they are the ones who sold it to me.

~7million consoles sold - you know of one personally and read about another in this thread...and you don't like those odds. :p

Pick either of the consoles, they seem to be reliable, neither will disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

F1ngers wrote: »
    I had no interest in Playstation Now and with those prices I'd say a lot of people will just vote with their wallets.
    Ridiculous pricing.

I hope they reverse their decision because its a great idea but Sony have executed it terribly. It has huge potential if they make it a monthly sub for access to a library of games.

I hope they reverse their decision because its a great idea but Sony have executed it terribly. It has huge potential if they make it a monthly sub for access to a library of games.

Netflix/Spotify for games, I pay for both these already. Netflix let's me use multi devices, and Spotify gives me access offline. I would go for that sort of model dependent on the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The prices for PS Now have been known for the last 3 weeks, but seeing that it is still in a beta stage this can all change, some very good suggestions in this thread http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=834503&page=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playstation Now is only in beta for now. Decent chance they might tinker with the pricing before full launch, especially given the backlash to it.

That said, they are going to have to price it so that they won't be completely turn people off buying new releases too - there's plenty of people who will happily dust off a game in a week for a couple of euro and leave it at that. Perhaps new releases will be charged at more of a 'premium' price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I think the only pricing model that would get me on board is a sub based one. I'd happily pay 10-15 a month depending on the games available. I'm assuming it's just going to be previous gen and indie games ? If there are current gen aswel they could put them in a platinum tier or whatever.

But yeah, it's a beta.. no need for everyone to get their knickers in a twist.

Magill wrote: »
    But yeah, it's a beta.. no need for everyone to get their knickers in a twist.

Genuine question, are Sony actively listening and altering models / things on the OS based on user feedback?

Would like to see an example out of sheer curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

miju wrote: »
    LMFAO at those prices they are nuts, sure I can buy a AAA game on XB1 for the price of renting it for 90 days on PS4 its a bit ofa rip off TBH

And you can buy a AAA game on the PS4 for the same price.

What you can't do is rent or buy a 360 game and use it on your ONE, all the game mentions and shown on Now are either PS3/PS2/PS1 games running without the need to own the actual console. If you actually have a PS3 buy those games for nothing and play them.

iF you didn't have a PS3, then someone could rent any of the games on offer on their TV or PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Netflix/Spotify for games, I pay for both these already. Netflix let's me use multi devices, and Spotify gives me access offline. I would go for that sort of model dependent on the games.

I'd wait until the Last if Us Bundle North if ur going buying.

Genuine question, are Sony actively listening and altering models / things on the OS based on user feedback?

Would like to see an example out of sheer curiosity

I don't know. I only have the PS4 a couple of weeks now.. not noticed anything negative with OS and PS+ has always been great value. I guess it's easier to change things for the better if what you released was garbage.

I don't know. I only have the PS4 a couple of weeks now.. not noticed anything negative with OS and PS+ has always been great value. I guess it's easier to change things for the better if what you released was garbage.

You can now dim the led in the DS4, every other added feature was something they announced before release as coming to the system.

Only changes I want are folders on the home screen and extra download options (Puase, single download)

I'd wait until the Last if Us Bundle North if ur going buying.

I real miss the old days, next gen has been a disaster mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm havin' the craic with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I real miss the old days, next gen has been a disaster mate!

I disagree
    next gen(this gen) has been excellent
    only thing its lacking is games but that will change soon enough
    other then that the consoles themselves have been brilliant to play on :) maybe not next gen in terms of pc quality but definitely next gen in terms of console quality

If I was you I would wait until christmas to pick up a console, thats around the time a good variety of games are been released
    then straight after christmas theirs a few more :)

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I disagree
    next gen(this gen) has been excellent
    only thing its lacking is games but that will change soon enough
    other then that the consoles themselves have been brilliant to play on :) maybe not next gen in terms of pc quality but definitely next gen in terms of console quality

If I was you I would wait until christmas to pick up a console, thats around the time a good variety of games are been released
    then straight after christmas theirs a few more :)

I get what your saying, but you have missed my point slightly.

There was a group of players back in last gen that what ever we played there would be some serious craic, and I was their squad leader! Some have gone Ps4, most ignored my objections and went Xbox one, and some stayed behind on the 360.

I'm sure we all know people that have gone different directions and chances are our paths won't cross again.

Next gen broke groups just as predicted by South Park. And I'm sad......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

This is where it gets interesting. Sony are running the risk of becoming too complacent and not making changes based on customer feedback.

I also think with Sony being under massive financial stress they will be looking to squeeze every penny out of the PS4. Services, etc. I hope they can bring the price of PS Now down.

Microsoft have really got their **** together very quickly. MS set up a forum where XB1 owners can suggest ideas and collect votes from other XB1 owners. The features that get lots of votes have been implemented recently. This probably wont last once Xbox over takes the PS4 in this gen. They'll probably go back to ignoring us.

Varik wrote: »
    And you can buy a AAA game on the PS4 for the same price.

Really because I thought PS4 was region locked for DLC so no point buying games in different regions also like Ghosts is like $60 on the PS4 I can pick that up for €20 on XB1 so definitely not in same price range.

This is where it gets interesting. Sony are running the risk of becoming too complacent and not making changes based on customer feedback.

I also think with Sony being under massive financial stress they will be looking to squeeze every penny out of the PS4. Services, etc. I hope they can bring the price of PS Now down.

Microsoft have really got their **** together very quickly. MS set up a forum where XB1 owners can suggest ideas and collect votes from other XB1 owners. The features that get lots of votes have been implemented recently. This probably wont last once Xbox over takes the PS4 in this gen. They'll probably go back to ignoring us.

Optimistic aren't ya :)

The PS now thing is interesting, because no matter how expensive it is.. it is still better than the Xbox alternative. They aren't stupid, if people aren't using the service because it's too expensive they will have no choice but to rethink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ghosts is like $60 on the PS4 I can pick that up for €20 on XB1 so definitely not in same price range.

Sony must be charging per pixel, or framerate, or people playing online, or something...

Haha, ah I'm not that good at this game, I'll leave it to the youngins!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Really because I thought PS4 was region locked for DLC so no point buying games in different regions also like Ghosts is like $60 on the PS4 I can pick that up for €20 on XB1 so definitely not in same price range.

Ghosts? Wouldnt spend €2 on that!
    Ive no idea of price ranges on the respective stores but a sample of one game is not a conclusive argument

I fail to see how the fact you can circumvent region restriction is a plus for a console?

Does it do that out of the box or are you setting it up to do it?
    You can guarantee most people owning an Xbox One either dont know you can do that or its not relevant to ie they already live in the lower price regions

In the same way i dont consider the fact it can be done on PS4 a plus point for that console either. Lets call it what it is,a backdoor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I get what your saying, but you have missed my point slightly.

There was a group of players back in last gen that what ever we played there would be some serious craic, and I was their squad leader! Some have gone Ps4, most ignored my objections and went Xbox one, and some stayed behind on the 360.

I'm sure we all know people that have gone different directions and chances are our paths won't cross again.

Next gen broke groups just as predicted by South Park. And I'm sad......
    Who else is gone PS4 besides Gruber?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is the same as with the PS3, if you buy it from a different region you just make a PSN account for that region and download it, takes two minutes.

The system isn't region locked, if you buy US games you need US DLC. Where the hell are you getting $60 and €20 from?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

NORTH1, you should not buy ps4, and you should not buy xbox one. You should get Nes. It will never break down and you will be able to fix games by blowing at them.

Irony being that even if new consoles do break down, they are being replaced without any fuzz, but sometimes people don't get the concept of "stuff breaks in this day of technology."

As for Sony and PlayStation now service. It's a great service and it will work not just on PS4, but on Almost any sort device out there.
    Pricing? A donkey level cock up by Sony and all the **** they are getting is well deserved. I wonder if sony already got in to smug and high horse position where they feel free to **** consumer or they just did not thought this through.
    They have a chance of being Netflix of video game world, but they can poop That Opportunity in seconds now.
    I know they have a small excuse that it's beta, but its piss poor excuse.

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    Does it do that out of the box or are you setting it up to do it?
    You can guarantee most people owning an Xbox One either dont know you can do that or its not relevant to ie they already live in the lower price regions

In the same way i dont consider the fact it can be done on PS4 a plus point for that console either. Lets call it what it is,a backdoor

Pretty much out of the box seeing as how you can switch regions freely and setup about 15 different payment profiles. The OS is designed that way as it lets you purchase the games out of region but you cant purchase film or music out of region (wont even let you open the app). Then you simply share with friends they way MS set it up to do.

But I agree with you lets call it what it is, not a backdoor but a part of part of Microsofts XB1 Feautures :):):):):)

Easily one of the best hands down features of the XB1 and its great having serious pocket change out of buying a day 1 release AAA title.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement