Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Varik wrote: »
    Microsoft dropped the ban hammer last year over a few instances of miss-priced games on certain stores, Sony and EA (on PC) have done it for those accessing foreign regions. I think Steam do it with those using VPN on their theirs, but not keys from different regions.

It won't last, sooner or later they'll start checking ips and issuing bans.

Ms already said in some words its allowed
    but who knows they might backtrack but I doubt they will ban anyone
    and last year they banned people for changing regions to get free games not for buying games on other regions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Magill wrote: »
    Me and two of my mates bought *randomPS4game*... PS4 games are cheaper. Sound logic.

Not really because you would have to buy the physical game, unlike XB1 when you can both play at same time under your own gamertags without a problem :)

Microsoft dropped the ban hammer last year over a few instances of miss-priced games on certain stores, Sony and EA (on PC) have done it for those accessing foreign regions. I think Steam do it with those using VPN on their theirs, but not keys from different regions.

It won't last, sooner or later they'll start checking ips and issuing bans.

They already check IPs like I said you cannot access music or video due to region locking. The bans on MS were not in relation to accessing mispriced games, they were in relation to downloading games from another region that were not released in your own region.

Completely different

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Grayditch wrote: »
    And what benefits are there for doing things the Xbox way instead, of you had one?

You can game share with a friend so the price of the game is cheaper as your splitting it between two people, besides that nothing is different.

With both consoles you are able to buy games from any of the stores or marketplaces, same with DLC as well, except that with the PS4 you have to get the DLC from the same store you downloaded or bought the game from, for example if you bought a game off of VGP you will have to use the NA PSN store to get the DLC for it, its the same if you buy it from the US PSN store.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

miju wrote: »
    They already check IPs like I said you cannot access music or video due to region locking. The bans on MS were not in relation to accessing mispriced games, they were in relation to downloading games from another region that were not released in your own region.

Completely different

It was, the games were released but up on those store for free

• Advertisement

• 2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    get back to dark souls you :p
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

It wasn't a misprice though, they were intentionally free as a regional offer IIRC.

Its completely different to what MS are doing now. Users then created “fake” accounts in order to take advantage of free game deals in locales other than their own.

Thats nothing like game sharing and buying from the US store under your IRISH user profile but using your US payment method :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm pretty sure I game share on PS4 with the missus.

Deffo do it on PS3, much easier, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The bigger picture is that Microsoft make more money when we buy games from the US store. It cuts out the middle man.

Also with Xbox One being region free you can purchase physical games from Canada for the same price as a download from the US store.

The XB1 OS facilitates really fast switching from our local region to US region and Microsoft themselves have confirmed that XB1 owners can purchase content from any marketplace we want as long as we have a payment option for that region. Last time I checked if you use certain debit cards and credit cards they are valid for use in other countries such as the US.

So far Xbox One has the superior setup for saving € when compared to PS4. The ability to share game purchases with a friend is an awesome feature regardless of which MS store the games are bought from. Also the DLC are region free.

The great news is that Microsoft is looking to continue with their idea of allowing sharing of games with more than 1 person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Ms already said in some words its alloweds

No they did not. The said they wouldn't region lock you when you travelled, they didn't say you could spoof a location to get games cheaper. They said you could share games on your home console, they didnt say you and a mate could game the system to get stuff for half price.

The question is if the extra sales they get from people choosing the console because of these "features" is greater than then loss of revenue from people picking up games for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The bigger picture is that Microsoft make more money when we buy games from the US store. It cuts out the middle man.

Also with Xbox One being region free you can purchase physical games from Canada for the same price as a download from the US store.

The XB1 OS facilitates really fast switching from our local region to US region and Microsoft themselves have confirmed that XB1 owners can purchase content from any marketplace we want as long as we have a payment option for that region. Last time I checked if you use certain debit cards and credit cards they are valid for use in other countries such as the US.

So far Xbox One has the superior setup for saving € when compared to PS4. The ability to share game purchases with a friend is an awesome feature regardless of which MS store the games are bought from. Also the DLC are region free.

The great news is that Microsoft is looking to continue with their idea of allowing sharing of games with more than 1 person.

You can also do this with the PS4, thats where most of my games have came from for the last 2 years :)

No they did not. The said they wouldn't region lock you when you travelled, they didn't say you could spoof a location to get games cheaper. They said you could share games on your home console, they didnt say you and a mate could game the system to get stuff for half price.

The question is if the extra sales they get from people choosing the console because of these "features" is greater than then loss of revenue from people picking up games for less.

No ones spoofing a location though, MS know we are all in Ireland and they did say you could share with your friends it just got drowned in all the launch noise about DRM.

I would imagine they are creaming in money atm from sales simply because games have beomce alot cheaper again, they are encouraging downloads and getting a much bigger cut of a download sales rather than no cut from sales in physical stores.

Xenji wrote: »
    You can also do this with the PS4, thats where most of my games have came from for the last 2 years :)

I know PS3/Vita/PS4 owners can buy digital games from the US PSN store. I was just highlighting that Microsoft have come out and said they have no problem with XB1 gamers buying from other marketplaces.

No ones spoofing a location though, MS know we are all in Ireland and they did say you could share with your friends it just got drowned in all the launch noise about DRM.

I would imagine they are creaming in money atm from sales simply because games have beomce alot cheaper again, they are encouraging downloads and getting a much bigger cut of a download sales rather than no cut from sales in physical stores.

This is a great point because I have actually purchased more games in the last 6 months than I would normally buy in a year. So my $pend as increased substantially due to being able to avail of better pricing.

• This is a great point because I have actually purchased more games in the last 6 months than I would normally buy in a year. So my $pend as increased substantially due to being able to avail of better pricing.

Not to mention there bypassing retail and also the fact that they can't loose out on second hand sales with digital copies.

This is a great point because I have actually purchased more games in the last 6 months than I would normally buy in a year. So my $pend as increased substantially due to being able to avail of better pricing.

Also, handy having MS actually backup their digital sales, like I said before a fair few of us got refunds for BF4 premium and the game itself which is the first I've ever gotten a game refund.

One of two other cheeky chappies (not me) though may abuse it from time to time. They've bought 3 full digital games and DLC and gotten refunds for them a few days later.

Beautiful thing is that they still have access to the games and DLC because MS dont seem to care which is nice for them as they still play games regularly enough.

So you could technically argue you get AAA games for free on XB1 giving a 100% saving ............. i kid, i kid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

No ones spoofing a location though, MS know we are all in Ireland

In fairness you kind of are, you have to change regions to use said regions marketplace. As I understand it, that's to facilitate people travelling...ie you go to live/work in Poland for six months, you bring your One with you & change region to the Polish market. Change in back to Ireland then when you get home etc. I don't think MS intended the feature to be used to scour all the different marketplaces for the cheapest deal...if that were the case, the pricing would be uniform across regions.
    and they did say you could share with your friends it just got drowned in all the launch noise about DRM.

The way this seems to be being used is people across the internet, not solely family, are swapping XBL login details...hardly again what MS intended as this is against XBL terms of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

No group hug then?

Myrddin wrote: »
    In fairness you kind of are, you have to change regions to use said regions marketplace. As I understand it, that's to facilitate people travelling...ie you go to live/work in Poland for six months, you bring your One with you & change region to the Polish market. Change in back to Ireland then when you get home etc. I don't think MS intended the feature to be used to scour all the different marketplaces for the cheapest deal...if that were the case, the pricing would be uniform across regions.

It's not really because MS have a specific service for situations like that called account region migration.

• Advertisement

.hardly again what MS intended as this is against XBL terms of use.

Really? Where does it say that?
    NORTH1 wrote: »
    No group hug then?

I'd like to have a group hug or maybe even a 1 on 1 hug north but I'm be afraid of the humm of Sony off me afterwards :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Let's say I currently have an XB1 and access to the Irish Xbox Marketplace, and I have a Irish credit card linked to my account. How do I get access to the US Marketplace to buy games?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Section 2.5 of the XBL Terms of Use. Can't quote it as I'm at work ATM.

Penn wrote: »
    Let's say I currently have an XB1 and access to the Irish Xbox Marketplace, and I have a Irish credit card linked to my account. How do I get access to the US Marketplace to buy games?

Settings --> Location - US but you won't be able to buy diddly squat unless you setup a USD$ payment profile on your Irish account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

They have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Whoa whoa whoa fanboy, you're wrong, RC cola is where it's at. It's got better specs, better design, cheaper content and of course that great RC taste.

Crazy talk.
    You'll be having us all drinking some flat crap from a health food shop next.
    Actually Lidl diet cola is pretty good tbh, although they don't have good local server support

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm always fascinated by the way the 'Big Three' handle region locking.

Nintendo effectively led the way with their portables, making some of the most import friendly consoles in the history of the medium, especially since many key games never made it here but were easily imported. They also kind of created the most pirate-friendly consoles in the history of the medium with GBA and DS, and now have created a walled regional garden around all their devices.

Sony were once the importers worst enemy, bringing down Lik-Sang (although they weren't the only hardware manufacturer to play a part - merely landing the finishing blow). From PS3 and PSP onwards, their consoles have however been incredibly import friendly and effectively completely region free - barring P4 Arena and the frustratingly convoluted multiple accounts procedure for Vita.

Microsoft seemed to be humming and hawing with the 360, leaving it to the publisher (thankfully Cave settled on a handful of region-free releases), so it was pretty much pot luck on a game by game basis. It was a real pain in the ass (if not straight up impossible) to access digital titles from other regional marketplaces - was always frustrated that Death Smiles 2 was available in the US but not here. Good to see they're following Sony's lead, arguably even superior in a few respects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It's not really because MS have a specific service for situations like that called account region migration.

Yet to change the region on the One, you still need a regional billing address etc as I understand it?

Section 1.9 of XBL ToU states:
    1.9 Are there things I can’t do on the Services? You must not use the Services to harm others or the Services. For example, you must not:

Share your account password or otherwise authorized a third party to access or use the Services on your behalf unless we provide an approved mechanism;

As I said before elsewhere, sharing login credentials with people you trust online hardly seems like an 'approved mechanism'

Yet to change the region on the One, you still need a regional billing address etc as I understand it?

No, you do not even need to enter an address to change region on Xbox One.

Section 1.9 of XBL ToU states:
    You must not use the Services to harm others or the Services. For example, you must not:

Share your account password or otherwise authorized a third party to access or use the Services on your behalf unless we provide an approved mechanism;

As I said before elsewhere, sharing login credentials with people you trust online hardly seems like an 'approved mechanism'

Game sharing instructions are on all the major gaming forums. Even forums where Microsoft have official profiles and they don't take any action against this. Last week Xbox's Phil Spencer said they are going to implement the family sharing plan which would mean games could be shared with multiple XB1 owners.

If you add all this up its quite clear that Microsoft have absolutely no issue with game sharing and purchases from other marketplaces. This may change when they become the dominant console on the market but until then I don't think we will see a move away from this position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Imagine a scenario... where The Xbox One actually became the dominant console on the market. I mean, I guess all you'd have to do is look at the last gen, but still. Sony would have go limp, lazy and do a Microsoft... and Microsoft would have to pull off a masterSony.

I actually hope that happens just for the lols, but I can't see it. Both being strong will probably happen. If Xbox gets more good games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement