Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

No, you do not even need to enter an address to change region on Xbox One.

Then why even have separate marketplaces at all? If shopping from one marketplace to another is as simple as clicking a button, why bother setting different price models etc? Part of me still thinks this is an 'early days loophole' that will be fixed at some point, rather then being an actual selling point.
    Game sharing instructions are on all the major gaming forums. Even forums where Microsoft have official profiles and they don't take any action against this.

That still doesn't sound like an 'approved mechanism' for game sharing, & even though MS are undoubtedly aware its going on...I suspect this is blind eye syndrome rather than an official stance.
    Last week Xbox's Phil Spencer said they are going to implement the family sharing plan which would mean games could be shared with multiple XB1 owners.

That however, does sound like an 'approved mechanism', as referred to in the XBL terms of use.
    If you add all this up its quite clear that Microsoft have absolutely no issue with game sharing and purchases from other marketplaces. This may change when they become the dominant console on the market but until then I don't think we will see a move away from this position.

I think it's a strategy at the moment, to turn a blind eye to it, rather than cause a big fuss & generate negative PR over it. When the One establishes itself more down the line, I can see things tightening up on the marketplace front.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Myrddin wrote: »
    Then why even have separate marketplaces at all? If shopping from one marketplace to another is as simple as clicking a button, why bother setting different price models etc? Part of me still thinks this is an 'early days loophole' that will be fixed at some point, rather then being an actual selling point.

I would have thought the answer was obvious on this, currency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Surely there are VAT implications here buying from the US store? I'm no expert on tax/revenue but I would have thought there would be rules MS have to follow regards VAT on purchases made from Ireland???? :confused:

calex71 wrote: »
    Surely there are VAT implications here buying from the US store? I'm no expert on tax/revenue but I would have thought there would be rules MS have to follow regards VAT on purchases made from Ireland???? :confused:

I'm genuinely not sure I imagine its a very grey area at the moment due to the fact it's digital downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

miju wrote: »
    I'm genuinely not sure I imagine its a very grey area at the moment due to the fact it's digital downloads.

Reason I mentioned it was I was looking at invoice earlier on something I bought ages ago and noticed it listed the item and vat separately to total to €4.99

• Advertisement

I would have thought the answer was obvious on this, currency.

Seems weird to abandon the universal 'currency' they had in MS Points, to then switch to real currency & create several different markets with differing prices but are available to everyone. They could have just kept MS Points, & used a centralised Marketplace for all digital content. But as mentioned above, VAT differences etc would probably put a stop to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

So the price difference is currency and vat/ local tax difference in the different regions.

It makes my wonder if as said here, that Microsoft is facilitating the avoidance of paying the vat/tax. What will the local government's do when they cop on?

Or is there a different tariff for digital copies as opposed to buying the physical copy?

34% difference roughly? Someone is losing out on revenue.

Who will Microsoft blame when someone comes looking for the lost revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

NORTH1 wrote: »
    So the price difference is currency and vat/ local tax difference in the different regions.

It makes my wonder if as said here, that Microsoft is facilitating the avoidance of paying the vat/tax. What will the local government's do when they cop on?

Or is there a different tariff for digital copies as opposed to buying the physical copy?

34% difference roughly? Someone is losing out on revenue.

Who will Microsoft blame when someone comes looking for the lost revenue?

Their own customers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh they are avoiding tax but they are all doing it. Wouldn't be surprised if Sony are doing it as well and Apple have been caught out doing it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Oh they are avoiding tax but they are all doing it. Wouldn't be surprised if Sony are doing it as well and Apple have been caught out doing it too.

I'm sure they do, it's just that this keeps getting put in the plus side of the column for X box one, and I don't have much knowledge on the Sony side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I'm sure they do, it's just that this keeps getting put in the plus side of the column for X box one, and I don't have much knowledge on the Sony side of things.

both are not legit but both dont seem to want the bad PR about banning for it

if either were legit you would be able to use your own address

if the EU ever gave a **** MS/Sony would just geo lock the console stores

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If you trying to find, which one of all those huge corporations is the most honest, then good luck to ya. All of them do the worst things to make more profit. Tax dodging is one of the most minor things...
    MS tax dodging same way Sony does.

I would not put this region loop hole abuse as benefit to any console. I am pretty sure it will bite in the arse sooner or later.

I would not put this region loop hole abuse as benefit to any console.

€40 odd for an AAA title or €20 if you gamertag share. I'm not exactly sure how you see this has not being a big benefit. At this stage I've probably saved the equivalent of half of the price of the console itself (quick tally in about €190 saved)

Unless of course you like paying the €65 odd blips for a game because anything (temp or otherwise) that gives savings to gamers is definitely a benefit.

At those prices your not worried about trading in value and getting ripped by Gamestop and you have rights to game permanently (so theres another benefit)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We are still discussing something that can be done on both, though?

Grayditch wrote: »
    We are still discussing something that can be done on both, though?

Can you game share on the PS4 (outside of actually calling over to your mates house with a physical disc)

I've my games on my girlfriend's PS4 and hers on mine. Have to change her to the primary user on mine and vice versa, I think. I'm almost positive we've done this.

Yeah, http://ie.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/How_to_Game-Share_with_Family_and_Friends.

We don't have to do that on PS3, and it used to let you have your games on 5 systems, now reduced to 2, so we usually go halves on digital games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Can you game share on the PS4 (outside of actually calling over to your mates house with a physical disc)

You can have multiple user accounts on your PS3 and share the downloaded games from each account so I presume it's the same on the PS4. The games can only be shared on 2 activated devices. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Yes, for a long while on PS3 and now PS4 which is why the Playstation and Games forums have rules on it.

It used to be that you could have 5 PS3s gamesharing but it's changed to 2 PS4, PS3, and 3 portables, and since it's not a new issue for Sony they do occasionally hand out bans for it but not to the extent of the huge yearly ban waves MS do for other things.

Calling it a benefit to the system, is no different to judging them on how easy it is to pirate games.

All the tall of using different regional stores and I can't be the only one who would be incredibly wary of doing so considering Microsoft's history of banning people over the smallest of things. How many people got banned when GTAV was sent out early by Amazon? Wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft crack down on it at some stageand issue bans

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

All the tall of using different regional stores and I can't be the only one who would be incredibly wary of doing so considering Microsoft's history of banning people over the smallest of things. How many people got banned when GTAV was sent out early by Amazon? Wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft crack down on it at some stageand issue bans

The GTAV bans and the early ONE consoles were only banned for a time until release, I think there were illegitimate GTA users who were banned outright. But ye, MS don't take **** from people on this.

On PS it's only really PSN messages, CFW (blocked rather than banned)/piracy, gamesharing, and ban happy first party game Mods that you need to watch out for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Only the people who got the game early and leaked in game footage with spoilers or unblocking videos etc were banned not everyone who got the game early.A good few lads on my friends list were playing on the Saturday and got no such ban.

Varik wrote: »
    The GTAV bans and the early ONE consoles were only banned for a time until release, I think there were illegitimate GTA users who were banned outright.

On PS it's only really PSN messages, CFW (blocked rather than banned)/piracy, gamesharing, and ban happy first party game Mods that you need to watch out for.

The point remains that Microsoft actively punished those who bought legitimate copies of a game and to get your console unbanned you had to ring them up and many had to prove they had bought the game. Microsoft have a history of handing out bans like they were going out of fashion.

How many people got banned when GTAV was sent out early by Amazon?

Oh I know , I know, like 1 person (possibly 2) because of what he done when he got the game and because he put his gamertag in the pics he posted too ;);) It was at request of R* if I recall as it was during their blackout phase.

What I imagine you could be referring to players being console banned on GTAV for console modding and sharing those vehicle mods from single player into mutliplayer and that is well deserving of a perma ban there.

But please continue and dont let the facts get in your way I love reading your pro PS website articles too :D:D:D

Just finally signed up for a US PSN account there. Me and the missus are gonna game share Thief. Worked out at €11 each. Can't be that bad of a game :)

€40 odd for an AAA title or €20 if you gamertag share. I'm not exactly sure how you see this has not being a big benefit.

It's a side effect of their current digital market setup, not a selling point/benefit. Again, the current method of gamertag sharing is against XBL Terms of Use, you are not permitted to just swap login credentials without someone, outside of an 'approved mechanism', of which yet there are none...certainly a pm on a 3rd party forum wouldn't be considered one. So it's no more a benefit than saying to someone, "buy a 360 & have it flashed...much better value"...because both are against XBL ToU.
    and you have rights to game permanently (so theres another benefit)

You don't know that. When the One has established itself, & MS don't have to worry so much about PR, does anyone realistically expect them to let this stuff continue? I wouldn't...they can easily revoke digital licenses

Oh I know , I know, like 1 person (possibly 2) because of what he done when he got the game and because he put his gamertag in the pics he posted too ;);) It was at request of R* if I recall as it was during their blackout phase.

What I imagine you could be referring to players being console banned on GTAV for console modding and sharing those vehicle mods from single player into mutliplayer. Deserving of a band there I'd say

I was actually referring to all th 360 owners who recieved their copy from amazon a few days before the actual release who had their consoles banned for playing the game they paid for. I also know a few
    gaming journalists who had their accounts baned for playing their review copy early.
    But please continue and dont let the facts get in your way I love reading your pro PS website articles too :D:D:D

What pro PS articles? Are you talking of the last one published on the site months back about the issues affecting day one Xboxone consoles? Obviously writing about a known issue affecting consoles shows that I'm a PS fanboy. What utter nonsense, I have no real preference for any console and would have by this stage got a One if MIcrosoft hadn't been so antigamer before launch. Now all their flip flopping is putting me off it, you know the way that the kinect was essential to it but then one day they decided it wasn't.

It's obvious that reading your posts that you have a clear pro Xbox agenda and more power to you but you seem to have a habit of going on the offensive anytime anyone posts something you don't like. That you felt the need to lie about the difference in regional pricing says a lot, well not so much lie as omit the fact that your pricing only worked when the game was bought between two people. I do the same thing with my brother, we go halves and as such I pay under 25 euro for many AAA titles.

You don't know that. When the One has established itself, & MS don't have to worry so much about PR, does anyone realistically expect them to let this stuff continue? I wouldn't...they can easily revoke digital licenses

No one has the guaranteed access to any game bought digitally. Microsoft can tomorrow decide to cut down on people using these loopholes and when they do you can lose all access to your legally purchased titles

No one has the guaranteed access to any game bought digitally. Microsoft can tomorrow decide to cut down on people using these loopholes and when they do you can lose all access to your legally grey area purchased titles

That's the point I was making :) & fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I can't see how developers/publishers are happy with allowing MS to do it. Even if only 5% of XB1 users are using the game-sharing feature outside of it's intended purpose, that's still 50,000 sales lost out of 1m.

While it probably wouldn't be enough to make them not release their games on XB1, I can imagine PS4 getting access to exclusive or earlier DLC releases further down the line.

• Advertisement

It's obvious that reading your posts that you have a clear pro Xbox agenda and more power to you but you seem to have a habit of going on the offensive anytime anyone posts something you don't like.

Well Pulitzer goes to you for your powers of investigative journalism, thing is though what platforms do I currently own ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement