Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

COYVB wrote: »
    Right now it's the best next gen console based on games

Its a shame they will lack when it comes to multiplatform games. Which is what makes up the bulk of the best games these days... how i wished they made the Wii U graphically comparable to the ps4 and xbox1. In a year or two, the Wii U will be miles behind in terms of its game library like how the Wii U was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was well worth buying a wii for the great games on it even if there weren't as many as the other 2.

I can see the wii u being the new GameCube, pretty much an essential second machine due to amazing unique game experiences you can't get anywhere else.

If I could I'd get rid of my ps4 preorder and get a wii u with mario world. I'd get the ps4 down the road.

Alas I'm an impatient idiot. Just hope it's easy to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

Magill wrote: »
    Its a shame they will lack when it comes to multiplatform games. Which is what makes up the bulk of the best games these days... how i wished they made the Wii U graphically comparable to the ps4 and xbox1. In a year or two, the Wii U will be miles behind in terms of its game library like how the Wii U was.

Yes Multiplatform the likes of EA and RockStar and so on.

Apart from exclusives an Xbox or Playstation are pretty much the same.

Xbox One and PS4 the only real difference is the odd res setting here or frame-rate there to the normal person they look identical on screen.

The Wii U just has Nintendo and the graphics do matter.

Playstation 4 and Xbox One bolt have 8GB of ram a different kind of ram but they are close enough.

The Wii U had 2GB ram and half of that is for the operating system.
    I always liked Nintendo games but for this generation their charm has left me cold and by the look of their sales most people seem to agree.

The real killer for the Wii is EA dumping them the Saga Dreamcast years ago had no EA games.

As for gameplay the best game of the year was GTA V top seller on PS3 and Xbox 360.

These days Mario or Donkey Kong just won't cut it I am afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Erm. You're completely ignoring a huge portion of the market that can't/don't play GTA. Just because you hold a certain view doesn't mean its shared across the market. Look at the 3DS, it can't compare to the Vita in terms of power graphically, it has a niche and it sticks to it by creating experiances you can't get anywhere else. Thats what will eventually sell the Wii U (and all the consoles actually) There are already plenty of machines to grab EA titles on, Nintendo is aiming to be the second machine used for its own merit.
    Anyway.....

I'm hoping that PS4+Vita bundle for 500 quid rumour is true... that could be very tempting in the new year. If I can afford a Wii U for Chrimbo I will get one without any hesitation, well I suppose I'd be looking at the 3DS and wondering why I still don't own one but yeah I'd grab a Wii U.
    PS4 exclusives and games like don't starve and hotline miami 2 having crossplay really would make a Vita/PS4 deal hard to resist though.

Danonino. wrote: »
    Erm. You're completely ignoring a huge portion of the market that can't/don't play GTA. Just because you hold a certain view doesn't mean its shared across the market. Look at the 3DS, it can't compare to the Vita in terms of power graphically, it has a niche and it sticks to it by creating experiances you can't get anywhere else. Thats what will eventually sell the Wii U (and all the consoles actually) There are already plenty of machines to grab EA titles on, Nintendo is aiming to be the second machine used for its own merit.
    Anyway.....

Your right not all people want to play the likes of EA games and GTA games.

Wii U is aiming to be a 2nd console I get it.
    As I have got older I only want one box under my TV and this generation the Xbox One and PS4 play Blu Ray movies freeing up another space.

Nintendo might just make more money if they put their games on all platforms with their top titles on PS4 and Xbox One.

I wont buy a Wil U this generation but if the likes of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze was on my chosen platform I would buy it.
    I may even buy the new Mario 3D World.

Again your correct you don't need super powerful hardware to run Nintendo style cartoon graphics however I am sure they will run just fine on super powerful hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It'll be a long long time before we see Nintendo games on other platforms, if ever

COYVB wrote: »
    It'll be a long long time before we see Nintendo games on other platforms, if ever

Remember Sega.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cathal1992

As a 360 gamer , I'm gonna make the switch to the PS4 for next gen. The €100 difference kinda swings it. Haven't touched a Sony since PS2 way back in the day. Only question is, get a PS4 for the Christmas period and wait till Gaikai to possibly play amazing games like Uncharted that I missed out on, or spend less and invest in a PS3 to get Uncharted series, old childhood favourite Ratchet + Clank series, God of War etc. Thoughts?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Get a PS3. Far more great games to play on it than there are on the PS4 (at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Remember Sega.
    Considering how strong Nintendo are doing with the 3DS, I don't think the comparison works. But even if that were not the case, and you wanted to look exclusively at the Wii U, I'd suggest waiting another year before thinking it's all said and done. Or, if you are impatient and want to see a jump in the more immediate future, give it a week.

The sales are about to get a spike. Super Mario 3D World is out here friday, and elsewhere sooner. There are rumours about Smash Bros being out in May, and we'll see another spike then. I'm waiting for a good bundle and will be buying it then. I was going to buy this but no delivery option for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

PS4 and already have the PSVita which is well worth it. Get the bundle if you can.

Sony supported the PS3 with AAA games for the last 3 years and are still releasing them (Beyond: 2 souls & Gran Turismo 6)

While Microsoft went down the casual route with that kinnect crap.

Kinda obvious who you should go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Your right not all people want to play the likes of EA games and GTA games.

Wii U is aiming to be a 2nd console I get it.
    As I have got older I only want one box under my TV and this generation the Xbox One and PS4 play Blu Ray movies freeing up another space.

Nintendo might just make more money if they put their games on all platforms with their top titles on PS4 and Xbox One.

I wont buy a Wil U this generation but if the likes of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze was on my chosen platform I would buy it.
    I may even buy the new Mario 3D World.

Again your correct you don't need super powerful hardware to run Nintendo style cartoon graphics however I am sure they will run just fine on super powerful hardware.
    Remember Sega

But even yourself, who has no real interest in buying a Wii U would buy Donkey Kong TF or Mario 3d world if they were multi platform. That means there is a market there for those games and plenty of people who would buy a Wii U to play these games, especially if they couldn't be done on other systems. Take Zombie U, for example, outside of sellotaping your controller to an iPad and somehow emulating the game to run seamlessly to both you're not playing it without buying a Wii U. It might not be the greatest example but thats the secret to Nintendos success, they do something different and expand into that market.
    True the Wii U isn't selling the last year but its already starting to gather steam and comparing them to Sega is a bit silly. Nintendo have a huge success currently with the 3DS and the 2DS to under 7's will be massive, plus they have just had two huge successes with the DS and Wii.

Just going in circles now though. Currently for myself the perfect setup could be: PS4 and Wii U, if I could own a 3ds/Vita along with these I'd be a happy camper :D now if only I could afford any of them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Remember Sega.

not really the same thing, or close to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

PS4 For me. Have always been a Playstation man.

The Brother has a Xbox and i just don't like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It was well worth buying a wii for the great games on it even if there weren't as many as the other 2.

I can see the wii u being the new GameCube, pretty much an essential second machine due to amazing unique game experiences you can't get anywhere else.

If I could I'd get rid of my ps4 preorder and get a wii u with mario world. I'd get the ps4 down the road.

Alas I'm an impatient idiot. Just hope it's easy to sell.

Yeah, i mean, my point was.. i wish I didn't feel like I HAVE to buy a PS4/Xbox One and could just buy a Wii U. If the specs weren't so terrible and it was actually "Next Gen" worthy, I would just buy a Wii U play all the multi-platform games on that since imo, their exclusives are far superior to the other consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Is the Oculus Rift going to compatible with the new consoles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

MadYaker wrote: »
    Is the Oculus Rift going to compatible with the new consoles?

Doesn't seem likely after recent comments by the developers, but there's strong rumours that Sony are developing their own similar device for PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Wow PS4 winning 3:1

Anyone know what PS3 and Xbox 360 sold in Ireland to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Irish Times has an article today that concludes "core" gamers may prefer the PS4 but for all around entertainment the X-box one has the edge this Christmas. Article doesn't really explain how this conclusion was reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Sounds like the sort of thing someone could have gotten from posting a status on facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Francis does a good comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Remember Sega.

Nintendo have vast cash reserves that mean they can release multiple **** consoles before they even come close to where sega were before the released the dreamcast.

Nintendo have enough in reserve to buyout sony about 3 times over atm

theyre are doing fine. sony is closer to being shut than nintendo is to becoming third party and im thankful for that with how the other 2 consoles are now embracing the idea of BS micro transactions and making some of the most souless mass market **** that we've seen 10 times before

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Microsoft had to apologise for sexism in a fictional letter they sent out that shows a convo between a husband and wife

"Not sure if you've heard, but Xbox One is now available. That means we can start playing games like Dead Rising 3. I know, I know. You'd rather knit than watch me slay zombies, but hear me out on this. Xbox One is actually for both of us. Seriously."

Ah Microsoft, never change :)

NTMK wrote: »
    making some of the most souless mass market **** that we've seen 10 times before

Tearaway, LittleBigPlanet, Journey, The Last of Us. Just four first party Sony games off the top of my head that are anything but soulless, and despite its success, I don't think anyone was confident the Last of Us would be mass-market.

Add Heavy Rain and Beyond 2 Souls to it too. Sony take a lot of risks with some of their first party and exclusive games. Plus the amount of indie games they're bringing to their systems.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Tearaway, LittleBigPlanet, Journey, The Last of Us. Just four first party Sony games off the top of my head that are anything but soulless, and despite it's success, I don't think anyone was confident the Last of Us would be mass-market.

Add Heavy Rain and Beyond 2 Souls to it too. Sony take a lot of risks with some of their first party and exclusive games. Plus the amount of indie games they're bringing to their systems.

Theyre good with their "indies" and TLOU was a huge success but when you see the **** naughty dog had to put up to insure it wasnt turned into one

but your Killzones, Resistance, even Gran Turismo now, infamous will prob head in that direction and Drive club looks like it will be an attempt of a cash cow

MS are worse

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Killzone and Resistance are awesome. Can't wait to play more of them. Pew pew.

NTMK wrote: »
    but your Killzones, Resistance, even Gran Turismo now, infamous will prob head in that direction and Drive club looks like it will be an attempt of a cash cow

MS are worse

Of course they make more mass market games, because there's a massive market for them, and making money on those games allows them to take a chance with riskier titles.

It's the same as Hollywood studios, the big blockbuster movies make them so much money they can afford to takes chances on riskier 'prestige' pictures.

There isn't a bigger mass-market franchise than Mario, and hasn't he appeared in something like over 100 titles at this point. Mario and Sonic at the olympic games etc? Nintendo throw out a lot mass-market games too.

It's completely reductive to just dimiss all other content on a system because they make some mass-market games. They make games to cater to their entire audience. The reason they make the mass market games is because there's a huge group of people who want those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Microsoft had to apologise for sexism in a fictional letter they sent out that shows a convo between a husband and wife

"Not sure if you've heard, but Xbox One is now available. That means we can start playing games like Dead Rising 3. I know, I know. You'd rather knit than watch me slay zombies, but hear me out on this. Xbox One is actually for both of us. Seriously."

Ah Microsoft, never change :)

The World is too p.c

It's light hearted humour. I found it funny, same with the letter to your boss saying you need time off for Xbox One release they did. They're funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Irish Times has an article today that concludes "core" gamers may prefer the PS4 but for all around entertainment the X-box one has the edge this Christmas. Article doesn't really explain how this conclusion was reached.
    Size of agreed advertisement budget from Microsoft does not quite have the ring to it as an argument I guess.

• Advertisement

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Of course they make more mass market games, because there's a massive market for them, and making money on those games allows them to take a chance with riskier titles.

It's the same as Hollywood studios, the big blockbuster movies make them so much money they can afford to takes chances on riskier 'prestige' pictures.

There isn't a bigger mass-market franchise than Mario, and hasn't he appeared in something like over 100 titles at this point. Mario and Sonic at the olympic games etc? Nintendo throw out a lot mass-market games too.

It's completely reductive to just dimiss all other content on a system because they make some mass-market games. They make games to cater to their entire audience. The reason they make the mass market games is because there's a huge group of people who want those games.

oh Nintendo do milk the **** out of franchises but at least they offer some variety and a colour. we've seen a lot brown/gold filtered FPS from both sony and MS and this gen looks no better either.

Ive no problem with games that do very well my issue is with trying to in the words of so many publishers " make the game appeal to a wider audience" this is what has ruined so many games.

In a way nintendo have been prevented from doing that by being **** at it and produce some mediocre **** when they do

Sony do brilliantly for their small first parties and im happy they do its the rest and the "true next gen" i worry more about as this quest for realism, metacritic box ticking and shafting the customer is going to ruin the industry

At least with nintendo, when you buy a £50 its actually a £50 game

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement