Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Penn wrote: »
    No I'd fully agree that game sharing and buying digitally from the US store are better/easier on XB1. But, labelling them as "features" or similar when they involve setting up different accounts, or setting your location as something it isn't, or sharing games with someone by making their console your home console when it isn't, that's silly, and a pure misrepresentation of what is actually allowed.

If you're in Ireland, setting someone else's console as your home console, and using workarounds to buy from the US store, are not "features". It doesn't mean AAA games only cost about €20 on XB1 but cost €70 on PS4, it's a complete twist of facts and systems.

The funny thing is I have never labelled any of these as features.

It's simply what you can do on Xbox One. Even head execs inside Microsoft have said you can use any marketplace as long as you have a valid payment method for that region.

This may all change in the future but it's highly unlikely. Microsoft have been talking about implementing their family sharing plan (game sharing with friends)

Is this a selling point for the Xbox One, yes. You may disagree but as it stands you can do a lot more with your game sharing and out of local market purchases on XB1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

No I'd fully agree that game sharing and buying digitally from the US store are better/easier on XB1. But, labelling them as "features" or similar when they involve setting up different accounts, or setting your location as something it isn'

But thats not the case which has been said repeatedly also. It has been facilitated under the same account by MS when they know your current location. I'll actually go to the hassle of examples seeing as how someone yesterday couldnt be bothered to check properly.

My current profile region location:

image.png

How I can pay in $ , € or £ because I can setup payment profiles all under the same account.

image.png

So as you can see my region is Ireland and MS , XB1 facilitate it and it isn't working around the rules while with the Sony system it seems to be.

The reason for the location change on the XB1 itself is simply because the content shown to you on the dashboard is localised so for example I get lots of adds on the dashboard to join the US Navy when I swap to US location :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

miju wrote: »
    But thats not the case which has been said repeatedly also. It has been facilitated under the same account by MS when they know your current location. I'll actually go to the hassle of examples seeing as how someone yesterday couldnt be bothered to check properly.

My current profile region location:

image.png

How I can pay in $ , € or £ because I can setup payment profiles.

image.png

So as you can see my region is Ireland and MS , XB1 facilitate it and it isn't working around the rules while with the Sony system it seems to be.

The reason for the location change on the XB1 itself is simply because the content shown to you on the dashboard is localised so for example I get lots of adds on the dashboard to join the US Navy when I swap to US location :)

But in order to access the US Marketplace, you have to say that your location is the US, which it isn't. Microsoft may not have a problem with you doing it, but that doesn't mean it's a design feature. The location change setting is supposed to be for those who legitimately move to another location so you can access the proper Marketplace for the region you are currently in, as per Microsoft's website
    http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-one/system/system-settings
    The LOCATION settings allow you to change the language display information of your console. If you move to a different time zone or region, you should update your console settings here:

Language & location
    Language controls your console’s display language.
    Location controls your console region, including for Xbox stores content.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am pretty sure that feature was though off for different reasons and it is being used and abused in just getting cheaper games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Miju - When "US - Personal Account" is selected, and you click "Billing Info" second from bottom on the left hand side - what address details are in there?

• Advertisement

But in order to access the US Marketplace, you have to say that your location is the US, which it isn't. Microsoft may not have a problem with you doing it, but that doesn't mean it's a design feature.

So I post up images of how it appears on MS website and its not a design feature? :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    maximoose wrote: »
    Miju - When "US - Personal Account" is selected, and you click "Billing Info" second from bottom on the left hand side - what address details are in there?

That would be my Irish address.

So I post up images of how it appears on MS website and its not a design feature? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Right, so how do you actually access the US Marketplace rather than the Irish one?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

That would be my Irish address.

No US zip codes or states for tax purposes?

100% Irish address with 0% US address added in?

I like yourself have IE, GB, and US Payment Profiles under my microsoft account - and on each profile it is impossible to enter an address that isn't in the country in question. How did you manage that?

Right, so how do you actually access the US Marketplace rather than the Irish one?

It's quite simples really, login to your MS live account / xbox live account go to the US store and click buy on the game you want, it will then appear on the download Q on your xb1 dashboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Grayditch wrote: »
    Grow up, dude. And you're quoting me like I was driving a message when I was just talking about my findings with something I had just discovered.

Chill dude, I know they didn't put enough cooling fans in the PS4 ;)

I was only referencing the topic of the last few posts, nothing personal.

And just for pig iron, heres what it looks like when I'm logged into my Irish account but pricing in $$$$$

Untitled.png

Plain and simple and fully integrated into their system, no workarounds needed and a feature by design I would most definitely say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

This whole debate is kinda silly... its obvious that MS intend on people to buy stuff from the marketplace in their OWN region. Users on both systems can technically buy from cheaper regions if they want to. It's like some people are grasping at straws in the "My console is better than yours" war....

Had a look back just to see who it was actually advised of the tax free method of buying from US marketplace, and funnily enough:
    Just for anyone looking to buy on console if you put in the following you will not pay any tax and will be able to buy for total price of €43 give or take (so your saving a massive €22 this way too)

City: Amhurst
    State: New Hampshire
    Zip: 03031

Kudos on the above goes to FAILSAFE for figuring that out not me

I don't believe you have an Irish address under your US payment profile, and think you are deluding yourself if you think there is nothing slightly dodgy about it and it's a genuine feature of the console.

(Disclaimer: I'm doing it too, and I can't see it lasting long)

Had a look back just to see who it was actually advised of the tax free method of buying from US marketplace, and funnily enough:

I don't believe you have an Irish address under your US payment profile, and think you are deluding yourself if you think there is nothing slightly dodgy about it and it's a genuine feature of the console.

Yup thats how to do it via XB1 directly but on the site you can just whip in an Irish address

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I do it on the PS3/4 too but not using a tax free state... D'oh.

Magill wrote: »

This whole debate is kinda silly... its obvious that MS intend on people to buy stuff from the marketplace in their OWN region...

Because the images i posted show that lol its ok though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Because the images i posted show that lol its ok though ;)

Its only OK now because a blind eye is being turned to it. Its definitely an abuse of the system the way you are doing it and there is no guarantee that MS will not at some future date act on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Also both gamers can play their shared games at the same time. Especially multiplayer games which can't be done on PS4 :'(

Just went to the trouble of actually making sure before I came to a conclusion, and you can indeed play the same game, at the same time.

I did it there. This is a thing you can do on PS3 and PS4.

I don't believe you have an Irish address under your US payment profile

Untitled.jpg
    Its only OK now because a blind eye is being turned to it. Its definitely an abuse of the system the way you are doing it and there is no guarantee that MS will not at some future date act on it.

I've yet to see you offer up anything other than your opinion, while on other hand I've been whipping up pictures of my account and how it works without workaround

• Advertisement

So basically Xbox owners are boasting about the fact that they can do something that PS3 owners could do since the day the console launched. Something that they can continue to do on the PS4.

Untitled.jpg

I've yet to see you offer up anything other than your opinion, while on other hand I've been whipping up pictures of my account and how it works without workaround

I've yet to see you offer up anything that explicitly states what you are doing is allowed and will not be actioned.

Just because there is an abusable loophole does not mean you are away and clear forever.

So basically Xbox owners are boasting about the fact that they can do something that PS3 owners could do since the day the console launched. Something that they can continue to do on the PS4.

Is it facilitated by Sony or is it just a workaround of the Sony / PS system?

Deadly stuff though aint it :):):):)

It's quite simples really, login to your MS live account / xbox live account go to the US store and click buy on the game you want, it will then appear on the download Q on your xb1 dashboard

But this is my point, somewhere on either your MS live or Xbox live account, you're basically claiming that your location is the US. Even if it's just the payment options & region, you're choosing to pay for it in a different currency which is not your currency.
    Tell you what go sign up for a Live.com account (you wont turn to ash I promise :P:P:P ) go into your settings and then look at your payment profiles and payment regions and then come back to me :D:D:D:D:D

You set up a US payment profile under your Irish account even though you are not in the US. That's the issue.

If it's a design feature, feel free to link to a MS webpage which says it's okay to buy things cheaper in $ by setting up additional payment profiles on your account.

Just because there is an abusable loophole does not mean you are away and clear forever.

I've clearly shown the process and examples of how it works. But keep going with ignoring the actually facts :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've been trying to figure that out, and I think that's what it was, but so much fact has been thrown in that now the only point is that it's slightly easier on XBox.

And it only took a few pages.

I've clearly shown the process and examples of how it works. But keep going with ignoring the actually facts :P:P:P

Where have i stated that it doesn't currently work? The only fact you have reported is that you are spoofing your locale.

But this is my point, somewhere on either your MS live or Xbox live account, you're basically claiming that your location is the US. Even if it's just the payment options & region, you're choosing to pay for it in a different currency which is not your currency.

I've clearly shown both the location and billing screens
    If it's a design feature, feel free to link to a MS webpage which says it's okay to buy things cheaper in $ by setting up additional payment profiles on your account.

Gladly here you go even mentions about currency conversion charges

Where have i stated that it doesn't currently work? The only fact you have reported is that you are spoofing your locale.

While ignoring the proof that shows otherwise #blinkers

• Advertisement

I've clearly shown both the location and billing screens

Gladly here you go even mentions about currency conversion charges

You are just kidding yourself if you think what you are doing is legit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement