Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

miju wrote: »
    Is it facilitated by Sony or is it just a workaround of the Sony / PS system?

Deadly stuff though aint it :):):):)

It's something that Sony have had no problem with users exploiting since day one. However there have been multiple examples of users banned by Microsoft for doing the same thing on the 360.

I don't believe that Microsoft are facilitating it and from reading the terms and conditions it seems that the option is there for people who got traveling or move abroad and not for Irish gamers to use to get games cheaper.

Microsoft's history of handing out bans like they are going out of fashion would have me wary of buying games in such a manner, it wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of people lose their access to their digital titles in the future. You can be damn sure that were they winning the current generation then they'd be coming down a lot quicker on it.
    Grayditch wrote: »
    I've been trying to figure that out, and I think that's what it was, but so much fact has been thrown in that now the only point is that it's slightly easier on XBox.

And it only took a few pages.

It basically boils down to Xbox fanboys saying their console is better because there is a feature that's slightly easier to use on their console, ignoring the fact that Microsoft have in the past banned people for using the work around to get the free games which popped up as offers in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Miju, are you honestly think that what you do is LEGIT. Simple Yes or No.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

While ignoring the proof that shows otherwise #blinkers

No, you are failing to grasp a really simple concept. MS not cracking down on abuse does not make it legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

also like Ghosts is like $60 on the PS4 I can pick that up for €20 on XB1 so definitely not in same price range.

We've obviously moved quite a distance since this point, am I right? Probably one of the most intentionally deceptive posts for any one to read that's on the fence about either console, and come to the thread for some info.

No, you are failing to grasp a really simple concept. MS not cracking down on abuse does not make it legitimate.

It's akin to saying that smoking weed is fine because the guards won't arrest you if you only have enough on you for personal consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

How this thread hasn't been Godwin'd yet amazes me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Myrddin wrote: »
    How this thread hasn't been Godwin'd yet amazes me :D

80426018.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Actually out of curiosity how are US purchases done on the Ps4

I set up a US account and told them I lived in Florida and started buying games with PSN cards, I bought from the net, the codes of which delivered immediately.

The whole thing took about 15 minutes to set up. Another 7 second to type this admission that I'd say it's frowned upon somewhere.

I set up a US account and told them I lived in Florida and started buying games with PSN cards, I bought from the net, the codes of which delivered immediately.

The whole thing took about 15 minutes to set up. Another 7 second to type this admission that I'd say it's frowned upon somewhere.

From speaking to some of they guys at Sony they really don't seem to mind. One of them told me that allowing gamers access to all the stores meant that gamers could play games which would never see a release over here and it's really a win win for all concerned.

• Advertisement

But there are licensing issues, as with Netflix (different content between regions), and then there's the tax thing, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

From speaking to some of they guys at Sony they really don't seem to mind. One of them told me that allowing gamers access to all the stores meant that gamers could play games which would never see a release over here and it's really a win win for all concerned.

However, both MS and Sony can (and would be perfectly within their rights to) close said loophole if they start to get external pressure.

Too big a risk IMO.

But there are licensing issues, as with Netflix (different content between regions), and then there's the tax thing, surely.

The licensing issues wouldn't the same as Netflix when it comes to games, a lot of titles simply don't get a release over here as the demand isn't there for them. At least if someone buys a game through the American or Japanese store then the developer/publisher still gets paid, the Netflix argument is that if I watch something on the American catalogue that Sky have the rights to over here then Sky lose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So whats the answer?

Otacon wrote: »
    However, both MS and Sony can (and would be perfectly within their rights to) close said loophole if they start to get external pressure.

Too big a risk IMO.

They can but Sony have left it open for the best part of a decade so I don't see them doing anything about it and I can't see anyone exerting pressure on them to do so. The amount that say the government loses through it would be minuscule and not worth the effort of going after them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

There are also certification issues, a game that gets a 16 rating here may get a 18 rating over in the US or vice-versa. It's definitely a loop hole which MS and Sony are happy to let customers exploit until one of the governing bodies start questioning Sony and/or Ms over it.

At the end of the day, Sony and MS get their share of the money regardless where you purchase it, and the fact we can get the games cheaper will likely result in us buying more games (as we see it as a deal), thus making more money for Sony and MS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I would wager a tiny minority use regional bypassing to predominantly buy exclusive or region specific titles. Fewer and fewer of those these days anyway, especially between the States and here.

And plenty lose out when a region is bypassed - local publisher, retailer, even the local Sony or Microsoft offshoots. Same as with film or television IMO.

It's definitely beneficial and incredibly tempting for anyone buying games, but a 'victimless crime' it is not. If it ever catches on with a more widespread amount of gamers - as opposed to the enthusiasts who are going to be spending the most money anyway - it will be cut down on pretty damn quickly.

I guess if certain posters on here were giving the task of presenting the best things about the Xbox One, with developers, investors, anyone you could think of watching.... and they chose to use that loophole as a "feature" there might be a few deep swallows from the Microsoft camp. Same with Sony.

605dbafed57027b79d4bc935c869f231dbbe19a5_m.gif

Which is probably why THEY don't talk about it. Because it's somewhere between a grey area and just... shifty.

And plenty lose out when a region is bypassed - local publisher, retailer, even the local Sony or Microsoft offshoots. Same as with film or television IMO.

It's actually very different to film , television and music rights because the likes of IRMA, IMRO, PPI and so on ensure that regardless of where music / film is purchased digitally that the relevant royalties will go to the relevant publisher.

In this case, MS still get the money and still pass on whatever % to the publisher and ultimately the developer so no one is losing out.

Some of the guys I was talking to in MS said something similiar and that they will be encouraging it even more

• Advertisement

I guess if certain posters on here were giving the task of presenting the best things about the Xbox One, with developers, investors, anyone you could think of watching.... and they chose to use that loophole as a "feature" there might be a few deep swallows from the Microsoft camp. Same with Sony.

605dbafed57027b79d4bc935c869f231dbbe19a5_m.gif

Which is probably why THEY don't talk about it. Because it's somewhere between a grey area and just... shifty.

Key difference is with Sony you have to work around the system whereas MS you dont and it's allowed as shown by the links and images and MS have talked / announced they will be expanding its features further.

A fact all the pro PS people seem to like to ignore.

Key difference is with Sony you have to work around the system whereas MS you dont and it's allowed as shown by the links and images and MS have talked / announced they will be expanding its features further.

A fact all the pro PS people seem to like to ignore.

Why don't they promote it as a feature?

Why don't they promote it as a feature?

They have and did and by recent announcements already linked in this thread they plan to promote it further, obviously you've been ignoring those links too

They have and did and by recent announcements already linked in this thread they plan to promote it further, obviously you've been ignoring those links too

They're promoting a feature that breaks XBL Terms of Use? Are you sure?

Myrddin wrote: »
    They're promoting a feature that breaks XBL Terms of Use? Are you sure?

Links are in the thread (too lazy to go back at this stage)

• ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tumblr.com%2Fb200cf11da03c5fb0a57ebc86e1f29fd%2Ftumblr_inline_mrwhqtavEn1qz4rgp.gif&t=541&c=bWoiO54TslU6Wg

Links are in the thread (too lazy to go back at this stage)

Well the thread is over five thousand posts at this stage, you'll forgive me if I've missed a significant chunk of it. Again though, as it stands, it's against XBL ToU to give out your login credentials...so how does the info in these links address that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

The percentage savings on game purchases of up 68% is something I will need to factor in, using this method is seems to be the way forward. ...... Until they pull the plug. ...... Can they ban everyone?

Tobviously you've been ignoring those links too

I didn't see them. I didn't ignore anything. Another thing I may have missed was you acknowledging that you can buy games from the US store on any PS4 AND game share AND use the two copies at the same time. You know that now, right? I'm just wondering.

• Advertisement

NORTH1 wrote: »
    The percentage savings on game purchases of up 68% is something I will need to factor in, using this method is seems to be the way forward. ...... Until they pull the plug. ...... Can they ban everyone?

I really doubt they'll apply any action retroactively, I'd say if/when they address the issue, it'll be just done & that'll be it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement