Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Grayditch wrote: »
    I didn't see them. I didn't ignore anything. Another thing I may have missed was you acknowledging that you can buy games from the US store on any PS4 AND game share AND use the two copies at the same time. You know that now, right? I'm just wondering.

I knew that before but Sony arent facilitating that its a work around of their systems, so they could well do something in the future you never know.

miju wrote: »
    Some of the guys I was talking to in MS said something similiar and that they will be encouraging it even more

Funny but I've heard different from a number of people involved with Microsoft. They are aware of the loophole but it's not something they encourage gamers to exploit and according to one "it's something that will be addressed in the future, at which time a decision will be made whether or not to close it off as currently it breaks the terms users agreed to".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I knew that before but Sony arent facilitating that its a work around of their systems, so they could well do something in the future you never know.

You never seem to reply when XBL Terms of Use conditions are cited :) Have you any thoughts on the below?
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Well the thread is over five thousand posts at this stage, you'll forgive me if I've missed a significant chunk of it. Again though, as it stands, it's against XBL ToU to give out your login credentials...so how does the info in these links address that?

I really doubt they'll apply any action retroactively, I'd say if/when they address the issue, it'll be just done & that'll be it.

100% agree with this , if a change of tact is ever made by Sony or MS it wont be retroactive unless someone was doing something VERY wrong like distribution or something via gamertags (which I've seen a few very dodge Polish sites offer - subscription of $5 per month or something)

Funny but I've heard different from a number of people involved with Microsoft. They are aware of the loophole but it's not something they encourage gamers to exploit and according to one "it's something that will be addressed in the future, at which time a decision will be made whether or not to close it off as currently it breaks the terms users agreed to".

I guess thats the problem with ****e talking and using "i talked to someone" in MS or PS as a backup to an argument on a chat forum isn't it :):):):):)

• Advertisement

You never seem to reply when XBL Terms of Use conditions are cited :) Have you any thoughts on the below?

The gamertag sharing is definitely on dubious grounds because I've read 2 contradicting TOS depending on the site you visit add into that MS on future gamesharing and it's all very muddy TBH.

Buying from US store isn't though

I guess thats the problem with ****e talking and using "i talked to someone" in MS or PS as a backup to an argument on a chat forum isn't it :):):):):)

I was only stating what I heard from both, you were the one obviously making things up. You can believe me or not but the fact that you think that something which goes against the terms you agreed to when signing up to Xbox live is legal and encouraged by Microsoft says a lot.

I was only stating what I heard from both, you were the one obviously making things up. You can believe me or not but the fact that you think that something which goes against the terms you agreed to when signing up to Xbox live is legal and encouraged by Microsoft says a lot.

Oh I never said I was making it up, much like I never said you were making it up. FACT remains that neither your nor my post is verifiable in any way, shape or form.

It's the lowest form of trying to back up an argument / point of view "my friend said / i talked to". In fact it wasn't too many pages back that quite a few of you were hammering a poster for his friends having a few broken PS4's ;) Come on man your a writer you should know about verifiable facts, I could tell you lots of FACTS coming from people I talk to in MS Ireland and aborad (if you knew the org I was involved in ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The gamertag sharing is definitely on dubious grounds because I've read 2 contradicting TOS depending on the site you visit add into that MS on future gamesharing and it's all very muddy TBH.

Ok, just so we're clear on that. It looked like certain people were promoting this as a selling point of the console, rather than what it is, which is a very grey area market exploit that does indeed break the ToU's , the ones cited on the official MS site too. Swapping login credentials is certainly not an official, game sharing mechanism.
    Buying from US store isn't though

This is more common place, & not exclusive to Xbox. It happens on Playstation too, heck even Steam keys can be bought from out-of-region etc. I'd liken this to accessing US Netflix & the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've clearly shown both the location and billing screens

Gladly here you go even mentions about currency conversion charges

Apps from the Windows Store =/= €70 games. If anything, to me this just proves the whole thing is a workaround.

And if the XB1 way isn't a workaround of the system, why can't you do it from the console directly? Why do you have to buy the games through the website only?

Again, I'm not saying it isn't an easy thing to do, or one which MS aren't allowing, but it's not the way it was designed. It's not a feature they willfully implemented.

I'm really not trying to badger you over any of this. I've freely admitted that in terms of game sharing and buying from the US store, XB1 wins. No problem. I also don't think either console is better than the other. They're both pretty equal with some pluses and minuses on both sides. But this simply isn't a feature and shouldn't be considered as legit.

If it was intentional, then it's a p*ss-poor feature which is unnecessarily complicated. Why not have one region free store where you can buy in whatever currency you like, straight from the console with the press of a button? Why have different payment profiles for different currencies at all? Why a huge rigmarole in order to do it, if it's MS sanctioned? Why are MS over-charging Irish/UK users who don't use this method if they're happy to sell the games at cheaper US prices?

I'm sorry, but call it what it is. At lunchtime I used a butterknife to tighten a loose screw on the kitchen drawer. That doesn't make it a screwdriver.

• Advertisement

Oh I never said I was making it up, much like I never said you were making it up. FACT remains that neither your nor my post is verifiable in any way, shape or form.

It's the lowest form of trying to back up an argument / point of view "my friend said". In facy it wasn't too many pages back that quite a few of you were hammering a poster for his friends having a few broken PS4's ;)

I wasn't saying a friend told me but rather what I heard directly from the both parties, thanks to working for various websites for over a decade I get invited to all the launch parties and what not that both throw. I've spoke about this at length with people involved in both and it is not something that Microsoft like people doing and certainly not something they encourage or deliberately set up that users could use as you seem to think.

What you are doing goes against the Xbox terms of use. You are knowingly breaking the rules you agreed to abide by and yet you think it's by design that you have access to the US store and the better pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Penn wrote: »

I'm sorry, but call it what it is. At lunchtime I used a butterknife to tighten a loose screw on the kitchen drawer. That doesn't make it a screwdriver.

Bad example, tightening the screw probably damaged the knife, which in turn affected its future uses and value going forward. ...... Sorry.

Apps from the Windows Store =/= €70 games. If anything, to me this just proves the whole thing is a workaround.

Theres one MS store all intralinked thats the policy from it , they dont define values so who knows.
    And if the XB1 way isn't a workaround of the system, why can't you do it from the console directly? Why do you have to buy the games through the website only?

Oh I can buy the games directly from the console store as well no problems at all, it's just the store interface is clumsy as fook to get around and find what you want.
    Why not have one region free store where you can buy in whatever currency you like, straight from the console with the press of a button? Why have different payment profiles for different currencies at all? Why a huge rigmarole in order to do it, if it's MS sanctioned? Why are MS over-charging Irish/UK users who don't use this method if they're happy to sell the games at cheaper US prices?

They do it's the xbox.com store, I only imagine it's harder to implement local / regional content by using the way your suggesting (not a developer so i dont know). And also MS , Sony and game developers have been riding UK and Irish users for as long as I can remember, you might call me a fanboy but I'm under no illusions that MS or Sony for that matter care about gamers they care about profits and their shareholders first.

Well to you its a butterknife to me it would be a multi-tool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

In this case, MS still get the money and still pass on whatever % to the publisher and ultimately the developer so no one is losing out.

Revenue miss out, they are probably just ignorant to the tax evasion going on. MS also miss out if you look at it purely on a title by title basis.
    Some of the guys I was talking to in MS said something similiar and that they will be encouraging it even more

Which guys, what feature team are they part of, what did they say exactly?

I wasn't saying a friend told me but rather what I heard directly from the both parties, thanks to working for various websites for over a decade I get invited to all the launch parties and what not that both throw. I've spoke about this at length with people involved in both and it is not something that Microsoft like people doing and certainly not something they encourage or deliberately set up that users could use as you seem to think.

Well like I said I've had conversations with MS contacts too on a very regular basis and I have been told the exact opposite so go figure, neither your source nor mine is verifiable in any way shape or form that FACT doesnt change no matter how many times you like to repeat it.

On a side note I personally I find those launch events a bit boring definitely wouldn't call them parties ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's much easier to have respect for a chancer when he admits he's a chancer. Especially when most people in this thread have admitted to the same.

MS Ireland and aborad (if you knew the org I was involved in ;) )

Microsoft Ireland have nothing to do with xbox service policies and wouldnt even be in the loop on plans.

RWhich guys, what feature team are they part of, what did they say exactly?

Hang on and I'll identify who I talk to on a public forum to complete strangers , maybe you should ask your PS fanboy colleague to do the same or would that like be ya know fair :P:P:P:P:P:P

Microsoft Ireland have nothing to do with xbox service policies and wouldnt even be in the loop on plans.

Now re-read my post especially the "and abroad" bit before you get your knickers twisted up any further :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Need you use so many smilies in such a way? It only goes to give your posts such a juvenile air about them, which hurts whatever argument you're trying to make.

• Advertisement

Theres one MS store all intralinked D

Marketplaces are separate region specific entities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Need you use so many smilies in such a way? It only goes to give your posts such a juvenile air about them, which hurts whatever argument you're trying to make.

There's also all the constant insults!

Now re-read my post especially the "and abroad" bit before you get your knickers twisted up any further :P

I read it, you mention MS Ireland who have nothing to do with it. MS employees or contractors involved with the console and privy to prerelease information are all under heavy NDAs yet they are chatting to you about allowing tax evasion?

LOL.

_Redzer_ wrote: »

I likes my smilies always have and always will :confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    Marketplaces are separate region specific entities.

And thats why you can switch from one to another without having to relogin?

I read it, you mention MS Ireland who have nothing to do with it. MS employees or contractors involved with the console and privy to prerelease information are all under heavy NDAs yet they are chatting to you about allowing tax evasion?

LOL.

Same way they chat to Darko I guess they are a chatty bunch after all

Hang on and I'll identify who I talk to on a public forum to complete strangers , maybe you should ask your PS fanboy colleague to do the same or would that like be ya know fair :P:P:P:P:P:P

I don't own a PS4, have not played on one and do not intend to. What feature team were they part of that is allowed to waive their NDA for you?

I don't own a PS4, have not played on one and do not intend to. What feature team were they part of that is allowed to waive their NDA for you?

Same one as Darkos :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I likes my smilies always have and always will :confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::pac::pac::pac::pac:

And thats why you can switch from one to another without having to relogin?

Smilies are fine, but they're just coming across as obnoxious and condescending. And that's just from reading the last page or two. I haven't even read over this argument in entirety.

Same one as Darkos :rolleyes:

Ok, so you made it up. People would easily be able to confirm policy, as per Darkos post. They would not be allowed to casually release information as you suggest.

• Advertisement

Ok, so you made it up. People would easily be able to confirm policy, as per Darkos post. They would not be allowed to casually release information as you suggest.

So why have I made up something and Darko hasn't for the same reasons????? There has nothing Darko has said that is verifiable either. In fact you show me something about Darkos conversations with MS that are verifiable.

Hilarious thing is in your blindness you haven't stopped to think what orgs I am involved in, what are they doing, what sites am I involved in and so on (certainly bigger than gamestoaster thats for sure :) ), just pure blindness. Awful when you get together you lot :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement