Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

miju wrote: »
    Do you go to customs when you have bought something from outside the EU which is liable for import duty and it wasn't checked with a cheque for the balance of your liability.

Are you admitting it is not a feature but a loophole now, and not a legitimate way to purchase the content?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Otacon wrote: »
    Are you admitting it is not a feature but a loophole now, and not a legitimate way to purchase the content?

No I never said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Penn wrote: »
    No I'd fully agree that game sharing and buying digitally from the US store are better/easier on XB1. But, labelling them as "features" or similar when they involve setting up different accounts, or setting your location as something it isn't, or sharing games with someone by making their console your home console when it isn't, that's silly, and a pure misrepresentation of what is actually allowed.

If you're in Ireland, setting someone else's console as your home console, and using workarounds to buy from the US store, are not "features". It doesn't mean AAA games only cost about €20 on XB1 but cost €70 on PS4, it's a complete twist of facts and systems.

Sorry to throw this is so late, but to me it's like saying.

"One of the best features of X-Box One is the ability to play PC games. You can own a PC and use you X-Box to run PC games (by using the x-box controller as a USB controller for your PC)"
    *cough cough, shifty eyes*
    ;)

No I never said that.

You admit that bypassing VAT and avoiding customs is not strictly kosher seeing as you accused the user of being on a high horse morally.

Purchasing games without paying VAT is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

No I never said that.

You kind of did though, in the below you're admitting that it is 'muddy', & that the revenue collection side of it is difficult to police via individuals... buying on alternative markets while becoming common, absolutely cannot be considered a legitimate feature of the console...at least, not how it is currently implemented.
    I agree to a good extent but the same goes for all software sales really, Revenue here and indeed around the world have been very slow to cotton onto it / act but I do get what your saying totally which is why I think its all very muddy in general.

I can only imagine their rationale behind it is that it is too difficult / near impossible to police the individual and thus they will get revenue via the Irish companies. Only a complete guess though mind you.

First world problems biggrin.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ah, it's still worth a good few hours on console for new players. I've had a lot of fun.

Ah no m8, as a game its fantastic. PS4 port is actually very good and works surprisingly well with controller. I have already over 30h on PS4 version. 300h on PC though. :p
    Anyone who got PS4 and does not have a PC just has to play it. same goes for Xbox one, when it comes out.

When it comes to free to play aspect, its very fair, but I would still recommend spending a few quid on platinum as you will need reactors and Forma. It will be a while until you can get Forma blueprints from void, unless you join a decent active clan. Reactors are generally ass to get as those are rare Alert rewards mostly.

edit: trading makes it even more fair free to play. you can get gold cores and trade them easily enough for platinum.

I like to go to Gamestop and buy games on discs and play them at my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

When it comes to free to play aspect, its very fair, but I would still recommend spending a few quid on platinum as you will need reactors and Forma. It will be a while until you can get Forma blueprints from void, unless you join a decent active clan. Reactors are generally ass to get as those are rare Alert rewards mostly.

I... may have already bought some platinum to... find parts I needed :)

Cormac... wrote: »

You big weirdo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

@Miju

Your setting your region on the console to a region your NOT in and that is not a workaround?

You also have to set up a payment profile on live.com for the region you are NOT in and thats not a workaround?

No workarounds just "Features".....come on man!!

You seem like a fairly intelligent bloke,why do you have such an issue admitting its a workaround?

Admittedly one thats obviously easier to do on XBox than PS4 but a work around none the less,not a feature

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    You admit that bypassing VAT and avoiding customs is not strictly kosher seeing as you accused the user of being on a high horse morally.

Purchasing games without paying VAT is the same.

I just so happen to know a decent bit about software sales (because remember a game is software) and VAT and importing. I'm not avoiding VAT no more than you buying a camera outside of the EU.

The issue at hand is that Revenue haven't got the will / ability to police it. That is not my fault and I'm not circumventing anything in that respect.

For now I like to download them and with savings (no matter how gained) offset how much you would lose in trading. On a personal thing I also like being able to say "Xbox go to ...GAME NAME" without having to get off my arse :)

I tend to buy only physical copies when it comes to Consoles. Xbox one had sort of good idea with "playing your games without a need of game being in drive", but they were a bit too thick and blunt with it.

I would love for MS and Sony to bring a very very simple system.

You got a physical copy of game, you can install it on Hdd. then:

a) If you got internet connection, then you can play games without a need of game to be in drive.
    b) If you got NO internet, then you have to have a game in your drive.

It really pisses me off to get my fat arse up and swaping gaming and I got spoiled by Steam.

On a personal thing I also like being able to say "Xbox go to ...GAME NAME" without having to get off my arse :)

I can't take anything you say seriously anymore now

EoinHef wrote: »
    @Miju

Your setting your region on the console to a region your NOT in and that is not a workaround?

You also have to set up a payment profile on live.com for the region you are NOT in and thats not a workaround?

No workarounds just "Features".....come on man!!

You seem like a fairly intelligent bloke,why do you have such an issue admitting its a workaround?

Admittedly one thats obviously easier to do on XBox than PS4 but a work around none the less,not a feature

See a workaround to me is a way of implementing something you want it to do by forcing a system to do something it's not designed to do in the first place.

In this instance I'm simply doing what the system allows me to do WITHOUT doing anything extra eg: i'm just clicking buttons and inputting asked for information

I can't take anything you say seriously anymore now

Didnt wanna say it but I was kinda the same when you said you like getting ripped at Gamestop, but hey each to their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The issue at hand is that Revenue haven't got the will / ability to police it. That is not my fault and I'm not circumventing anything in that respect.

So by purposely & intentionally setting your region to one that isn't your region in reality, & by buying games at cheaper rates than your home/true region...that's not your fault & you're not circumventing anything? Come on, this is getting a bit silly at this stage :)

It really pisses me off to get my fat arse up and swaping gaming and I got spoiled by Steam.

You're the "future type" person from Wall E yes? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I would love for MS and Sony to bring a very very simple system.

You got a physical copy of game, you can install it on Hdd. then:

a) If you got internet connection, then you can play games without a need of game to be in drive.
    b) If you got NO internet, then you have to have a game in your drive.

What's stopping people from giving the games to their friends to install on their HDD? Even if they gave them a code, one person could install the game on their console and play online, the other plays offline with the disc still in.
    It's a system that can't be done well without the 24 hour check in MS wanted.

The police probably don't have the will/ability to police the illegal downloads of games from torrent sites either. Using them though is most definitely circumventing/actually breaking the law.

I... may have already bought some platinum to... find parts I needed :)

Buying parts and mods is a blessing. Took me way over 150h to find Split chamber mod on PC and I just bought it for 10 plat on PS4 :p. Back in the day the only way to get stuff was to farm it yourself. We had no invasions too so Fieldrons were crafted one by one.

4 - Dera
    7 - Flux
    9 - Supra

Farmed it all myself and proud of it! :D

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    So by purposely & intentionally setting your region to one that isn't your region in reality, & by buying games at cheaper rates than your home/true region...that's not your fault & you're not circumventing anything? Come on, this is getting a bit silly at this stage :)

Hang on, I go to xbox.com/en-US which is a US store my region is still set to Ireland and so I'm buying from the US. It's no different than buying a camera lens say from Canon USA , although they sell and distribute here in Ireland.

It's even no different that everyone who used to go up North for their meds , drink when sterling was near euro parity.

Buying parts and mods is a blessing. Took me way over 150h to find Split chamber mod on PC and I just bought it for 10 plat on PS4 . Back in the day the only way to get stuff was to farm it yourself. We had no invasions too so Fieldrons were crafted one by one.

Those invasions are class for ranking up and general goodies.

Didnt wanna say it but I was kinda the same when you said you like getting ripped at Gamestop, but hey each to their own

I was obviously being tounge in cheek, no need to direct your console wars annoyance at me, I'm not in either park and enjoying having this fence i'm sitting on poking my arsé.

I like experience if buying a game, the excitement, i like the walk, I know the guy behind the counter, I like looking at the other game boxes, the walk home, the anticipation, the intro, I like all of it. It's all part of the experience.

I only buy maybe 1 game every 2-3 months nowadays though it's not worth my while going through all the stuff listed here to get USA digital copies of something blah blah. If I really want a game, I'll go pay the normal price in the shop after doing some price comparisons.

And guess what?

I don't trade games either... I keep them.... ALL OF THEM.... I always have since the SNES

What's stopping people from giving the games to their friends to install on their HDD? Even if they gave them a code, one person could install the game on their console and play online, the other plays offline with the disc still in.
    It's a system that can't be done well without the 24 hour check in MS wanted.

Actually you right. Would be abused too. Looks like I will have to get my fat ass to swap games by hand. Next gen my hole... :pac:

You're the "future type" person from Wall E yes? :confused::confused::confused:

Nope, thats me:

South-Park-Gamer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

See a workaround to me is a way of implementing something you want it to do by forcing a system to do something it's not designed to do in the first place.

In this instance I'm simply doing what the system allows me to do WITHOUT doing anything extra eg: i'm just clicking buttons and inputting asked for information

But by giving the system false information your are getting it to do what you want ie setting your region to one your not in?

I like experience if buying a game, the excitement, i like the walk, I know the guy behind the counter, I like looking at the other game boxes, the walk home, the anticipation, the intro, I like all of it. It's all part of the experience.

I know what you mean. For PS Plus games, I print out covers and put them in little clear boxes on a shelf and go over to them and act out opening them and putting the disc into the machine.

Jesus, can you imagine...

Hang on, I go to xbox.com/en-US which is a US store my region is still set to Ireland and so I'm buying from the US. It's no different than buying a camera lens say from Canon USA , although they sell and distribute here in Ireland.

If you bought that camera lens and shipped it to Ireland, it could also be caught by customs.
    It's even no different that everyone who used to go up North for their meds , drink when sterling was near euro parity.

It is different because you are actually in the UK when you purchase those goods.

I know what you mean. For PS Plus games, I print out covers and put them in little clear boxes on a shelf and go over to them and act out opening them and putting the disc into the machine.

I don't have PS Plus, but I do use X-Box 360 Gold Membership and get some fun games from that. Maybe thats why i don't buy as many games.

Currently enjoying Dust and Charlie Murder, fun fun fun

• Advertisement

I honestly loled at this.

I LOVE ps+ games, but I still love to have those little boxes of Console games. and thats coming from a PC gamer whos Steam library is bigger then it should be. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement