Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Bloodborne won E3 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Grayditch wrote: »

Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Bloodborne for me to was the best game shown at E3 along with No Mans Sky and the new Xenoblade game.

As we seen at E3 this year Xbox's focus is clearly on games now. They did an all games presentation which was way more focused on games when compared to the bloated Sony presentation.

It was very much like both companies switched places after E3 2013. Microsoft were all games and Sony was media, media, media with some games.

I gave E3 to Nintendo followed by Microsoft.

Not really, Sony spent the past year showing us what was coming and E3 had a number of interesting titles shown and as such Sony are in a position to start showing off what else their machine can do. We know that it can play games, it's what they sold the machine and anything else is a plus. The thing with Micrososft and E3 is that they seem to be focusing on co-op and multiplayer games which is something a lot of people aren't interested in.
    Some people might be more emotionally invested in their shoes than you, especially if they spend a couple of hundred euros on a pair of new sneakers.

There's lot of different reasons that combine to make people fanboys and this is a really good article on it.
    http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/05/19/fanboyism-and-brand-loyalty/

Anyone who is emotionally invested in a pair of shoes or a game console is more than a little bit sad. That many people feel the need to attack anyone who doesn't agree with them is childish and unnecessary. I always find it somewhat ironic how certain people will tell you why their console is better and when you challenge them they accuse you of being a fanboy.

I forgot about No Man's Sky. That looked incredible.

• Advertisement

I forgot about No Man's Sky. That looked incredible.

That it does and games like it are the reason that I got the PS4. It seems to be this generations go to console for interesting indie titles and thus far I haven't been disappointed. That I can play Strider for pretty much free is just fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

No Man's Sky is only a timed exclusive for PS4

The increasing amount of these on both platforms is quite annoying.

Forgot No Man's Sky was any kind of exclusive at all. It's gotta be hard for a indie developer to limit themselves to an already limited market that is year one of a new gen.

Forgot No Man's Sky was any kind of exclusive at all. It's gotta be hard for a indie developer to limit themselves to an already limited market that is year one of a new gen.

It may be annoying for them but I imagine that with Sony so behind them they'll do rather well. Think of all the free publicity they have gotten as a result of Sony's investment in them, it's the kind that money can't buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Does Microsoft still have the launch parity clause with regards ID@XBOX, it is the reason why you will be seeing so many timed exclusives on the PS4 before they come to the Xbox if they are still enforcing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well there was an article yesterday on Polygon explaining how Towerfall Ascension earned the most money on PS4 despite a concurrent PC release - and we're talking hundreds of thousands of euro for a very small game.

With a game as hyped as No Man's Sky I can easily see them doing very well indeed on PSN. Subsequent format releases will likely be a major income boost down the line then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Anyone who is emotionally invested in a pair of shoes or a game console is more than a little bit sad.

This is true and yet here we are commenting on a debate thread about two consoles that basically do the exact same thing.
    That many people feel the need to attack anyone who doesn't agree with them is childish and unnecessary. I always find it somewhat ironic how certain people will tell you why their console is better and when you challenge them they accuse you of being a fanboy.

And if you didn't have some sort of emotional investment in the other console you probably wouldn't feel the need to challenge them on it. So you might have a touch of the fanboy about you but that doesn't mean they're not total fanboys too. The problem is that the easiest way to kill any conversation like this is to throw out the 'fanboy' tag.

This is true and yet here we are commenting on a debate thread about two consoles that basically do the exact same thing.

They do the same things but the range of games available on each means that they are very different.
    And if you didn't have some sort of emotional investment in the other console you probably wouldn't feel the need to challenge them on it. So you might have a touch of the fanboy about you but that doesn't mean they're not total fanboys too. The problem is that the easiest way to kill any conversation like this is to throw out the 'fanboy' tag.

When someone is spouting rubbish and stating it as fact then they should be called on it. And yes fanboy is an irritating way to end discussion but sadly far too many are just that yet unable to see it. Personally I couldn't care less what console someone owns, I gave my reasons for buying a PS4 and would have no problem buying a One were it not for Microsoft's flip flopping on every aspect of it.

As a predominantly PC gamer I find the constant back and forth over power and pixels to be nonsense, what any discussion of the consoles should come down to is the games and on the front it's easy to see who is winning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Let's lay off the 'fanboy' accusations please. It really is the most toxic word when it comes to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I've never understood how people take criticism of something they own so personal. Oddly enough it only ever seems to be console owners or Apple users who get so offended, someone says your shoes aren't as good as theirs and you just shrug your shoulders.

I'd add android to that but it's a bit more limited as most people are just buying a phone, rather than getting an Iphone because it's an Iphone or android because it's android.

Can't remember which site it was but there was a article recently criticizing Nintendo shareholders who gave whoever was present a hard time at the last AGM and asked a few questions that the author didn't like, the whole thing was a Nintendo fanboy circle jerk. Comments were even worse, "how dare they ask about supply chain management and corporate infrastructure and not just sit there in awe of Nintendo" and how they're not gamers etc.

Let's lay off the 'fanboy' accusations please. It really is the most toxic word when it comes to this thread.

Apologies but I wasn't using it in an accusatory fashion - it was purely in relation to the article that I had linked.

No, that's fine. Discussion was heading down a slippery slope is all, so just trying to steer away from the minefield at the bottom.

• By all means point it out but it seems as if Microsoft are really tryign to sell the One as a media player that can play games. Surely it should be the other way around. I assume that they are trying to attract nongamers to pick up the One whereas Sony seem to be letting the games speak for themselves.

In fairness the first thing he's doing is playing Titanfall so that now indicates to me the viewer that the games are now the main focus. Then it pushes it to multimedia features like snapping to TV etc.. There's a difference how's it's being depicted now.

Microsoft have already addressed this in E3 but still no point and not trying to claim a wider section of the market that Sony are not appealing too in relation to there advertising.

Varik wrote: »
    I'd add android to that but it's a bit more limited as most people are just buying a phone, rather than getting an Iphone because it's an Iphone or android because it's android.

I've seen people be rabidly anti-Apple more than being pro-Android if that makes sense. It's not that the phone they have is an Android but the fact that it's not an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Xenji wrote: »
    Does Microsoft still have the launch parity clause with regards ID@XBOX, it is the reason why you will be seeing so many timed exclusives on the PS4 before they come to the Xbox if they are still enforcing it.

It's still there and indies were complaining recently, but it seems they wavier the requirement when it suits them ( when they can't bully a dev into doing it).
    I've seen people be rabidly anti-Apple more than being pro-Android if that makes sense. It's not that the phone they have is an Android but the fact that it's not an iPhone.

There are Android fanboys, they're the open source, linux loving, digital hippies of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Xenji wrote: »

Id say its gone away quietly, outlast and something else I cant remember were both released on xbox in the past few weeks and both of them had already been out on PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Varik wrote: »
    It's still there and indies were complaining recently, but it seems they wavier the requirement when it suits them ( when they can't bully a dev into doing it).

There are Android fanboys, they're the open source, linux loving, digital hippies of the world.

I think that they enforce the requirement when they've invested money or paid for the dev tools or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Id say its gone away quietly, outlast and something else I cant remember were both released on xbox in the past few weeks and both of them had already been out on PS4.

It isn't gone. MS said they would deal with each agreement on a case-by-case basis.

However, that means that established indie developers might be fine but smaller or first-time devs won't have the negotiating muscle.

Polygon link
    Microsoft is addressing its ID@Xbox launch parity clause, which requires developers to launch games the same day on Xbox One and other platforms, on a case by case basis, a Microsoft spokesperson told Edge Online.

"Our goal is not to limit developers who are interested in Xbox One," the spokesperson told Edge. "In instances where games have signed a timed exclusive with another platform, we'll work with them on a case by case basis. We encourage them to get in touch at id@xbox.com."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i now own a ps4... ill give my thoughts on both systems during next week

Ah I knew it Sony fanclub

pennywise-the-clown.png
    "They all float down here"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Ah I knew it Sony fanclub
    Steady on now.
    He owns a WiiU as well.
    So he's a Nintendo owner who is experimenting... That's all....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Steady on now.
    He owns a WiiU as well.
    So he's a Nintendo owner who is experimenting... That's all....

He sold the wii u ages ago ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

What games did you get Basher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

What games did you get Basher?

Go on failsafe,but one there for the Craic!!.Just go in and throw a ball of change up in the counter and let the bastards count the lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement