Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Kinect confirmed to be a useless gimmick. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-29-fighter-within-review

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So I went into Gamestop today with my PS4 pre-order receipt and traded what I paid off on the PS4 against a WiiU and 4 games I actually want to play. Couldn't be happier. Some poor mother is also going to now be able to make her son happy this xmas with a PS4. Win-win :) I think next year is the time to pick up a PS4 for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So I went into Gamestop today with my PS4 pre-order receipt and traded what I paid off on the PS4 against a WiiU and 4 games I actually want to play. Couldn't be happier. Some poor mother is also going to now be able to make her son happy this xmas with a PS4. Win-win :) I think next year is the time to pick up a PS4 for me.

They were going for £179 on Amazon today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I did spend less than I would have for a PS4 with no games. Still that was a good deal on Amazon if it was for a premium console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I did spend less than I would have for a PS4 with no games. Still that was a good deal on Amazon if it was for a premium console.

The premium thing is a scam. A regular plus a €10 32gb usb key is a superior deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anyone have both?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

MadYaker wrote: »
    Anyone have both?

Probably too busy having money fights to be posting on here

#notjealousatall

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Thomas D wrote: »

Works perfectly for me on any game I've tried (which doesn't include that game)

It's mental, even reading my heart rate on Xbox Fitness is crazy! :eek:

MadYaker wrote: »
    Anyone have both?

Yes. And a Wii U

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The only thing confirmed is that the game is crap, not the Kinect.

The Kinect works very well for me. The commands in particular with navigating the UI. In battlefield I can call for a medic using it and ask for ammo etc etc. I also use the lean function to peek around corners which is the biz. I also like how it is utilised in dead rising 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

The only thing confirmed is that the game is crap, not the Kinect.

The Kinect works very well for me. The commands in particular with navigating the UI. In battlefield I can call for a medic using it and ask for ammo etc etc. I also use the lean function to peek around corners which is the biz. I also like how it is utilised in dead rising 3.

That sounds like it works, but what is the difference between calling for a medic and quickly hitting the button on the pad and thus calling a medic? It sounds like a bit of a gimmick really. I think kinect, like the wii, had the potential to do interesting things. However the most common implamentation seems to be to do something that can be achieved better in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Doesn't one of the NBA games penalise you with a foul if the Kinect picks up you swearing? Imagine that was implemented into Dark Souls 2 if it ever got ported :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    Doesn't one of the NBA games penalise you with a foul if the Kinect picks up you swearing? Imagine that was implemented into Dark Souls 2 if it ever got ported :pac:

FIFA does if you swear at the ref for a bad decision or something but it CAN be disabled if you choose.

sarumite wrote: »
    That sounds like it works, but what is the difference between calling for a medic and quickly hitting the button on the pad and thus calling a medic? It sounds like a bit of a gimmick really. I think kinect, like the wii, had the potential to do interesting things. However the most common implamentation seems to be to do something that can be achieved better in other ways.

I think the potential lies in the fact that you only have so many buttons, but the developers can program any amount of voice commands

You just ignored the part where he said you can lean and look around a vehicle by turning your head a little?

Apart from that, the Kinect will shine most on ONE only games, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Just that game. Works great for me on the UI and for Fifa.

Its faster with voice commands. On the controller you have to hold in the RB button and then using the analog point in the direction of the order to be given. Also when selecting an order this way a hud is displayed on screen. The kinect voice command gets around all of this by just saying orders like "Need Ammo!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Its is quite funny, that the only proper use Kinect has is Voice Commands... In most cases its just faster to press button, then saying slowly and correct "X box, Play Forza Motor Sport five".

Using your hand gestures for Xbox Commands sounds even more stupid, troublesome and waste of time, when you can just, you guessed it, press a damn button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Its is quite funny, that the only proper use Kinect has is Voice Commands... In most cases its just faster to press button, then saying slowly and correct "X box, Play Forza Motor Sport five".

Using your hand gestures for Xbox Commands sounds even more stupid, troublesome and waste of time, when you can just, you guessed it, press a damn button.

why do you have to speak slowly unless there's something wrong with you. I speak fast and it works 98% of the time. I can switch between apps & games instantly. I don't use the magic buttons you speak of cause it takes longer.

Shadowhearth, stick to the PS4 megathread :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

DaLad wrote: »
    He's biased against Kinect/camera/voice/motion type stuff rather than the console per se. I need to be convinced, and I'll let it either do so or fail at doing so once I get one, so right now I'm neutral.

In fairness it must be frustrating as hell having the PS4 and the PSN network is down, any way off to play Xbox Live on my xbox one :D

Pushtrak wrote: »
    He's biased against Kinect/camera/voice/motion type stuff rather than the console per se. I need to be convinced, and I'll let it either do so or fail at doing so once I get one, so right now I'm neutral.

Fair enough lol.

I think it's class anyway. A helluva a lot better than the Kinect 1.0!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Nolars wrote: »
    why do you have to speak slowly unless there's something wrong with you. I speak fast and it works 98% of the time. I can switch between apps & games instantly. I don't use the magic buttons you speak of cause it takes longer.

If you switch between games and apps, then you have controller I'm your hands. There is your magic button. Then again, the benefit of that Kinect has feck all to do with games and only for interface of Xbox.

Shouting out ammo or medic in bf4 - really cool and fantastic. Now thats a great function to have, though it brings us to the same spot. Most likely you got headset already with a Mic, that could do same thing. Or there could be cheap microphone on controller if you don't have headset. Sorted. So why would you need a 100eu Kinect, which eats up 10% of already weaker hardware again?

I am sorry, but I am not convinced Kinect is such a great value as some people trying it to make out. Convince me that I am wrong.

Shouting out ammo or medic in bf4 - really cool and fantastic. Now thats a great function to have, though it brings us to the same spot. Most likely you got headset already with a Mic, that could do same thing.

First of all, there's more to the kinect than just the voice commands.

Secondly, I always wondered this myself but then again if they could do it with the basic headset, then why don't they have the voice commands on BF4 PS4 with the PS4 headset?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Today I walked into the sitting room and said Xbox on, go to Netflix, select 4 (my list), select 6 (The Iceman), play. I felt like Harrison Ford in Blade Runner:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I am sorry, but I am not convinced Kinect is such a great value as some people trying it to make out. Convince me that I am wrong.
    I'm going in to it neutral, as I said in my last post. It is the task of the kinect itself so sell its virtues. It either convinces me or it does not. No one here is going to be able to convince you that it is worthwhile as the only thing that'll be able to do that is the thing in question itself. It's a bit like going to a forum for a console you don't want, saying what games justify owning the system and being able to say "yeah, well I don't like that game" though arguably worse as I'd argue its more intangible than the relative simplicity of quality of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I used voice commands on the PS4 today. I'm only saying that here because of my "why bother" stance on Kinect voice commands over the past few months.

While I think the cameras are gimmick as they stand right now, I don't think either have done a thing to pique my interests, anyway, it didn't take me long to start talking to the damn thing and I'll probably do the same with the Kinect.

You still won't catch me waving at the things any time soon, though.

Voice commands are a tiny part of kinnect. The main part of it was about player movement, face recognition and that has been shown to be completley pointless/useless.

Nobody wants voice recognition. If they did then we'd be doing all of our windows work with them. They could have added this to the box or controller and taken €100 off the price.

• Advertisement

First of all, there's more to the kinect than just the voice commands.

Secondly, I always wondered this myself but then again if they could do it with the basic headset, then why don't they have the voice commands on BF4 PS4 with the PS4 headset?

I could bring up a film as quick on my tablet and not sound like a knob doing it. The only reason voice activiation is being pushed on consoles is because of the limitations of a controller. They can't compete with a mouse/keyboard or a fast touch interface.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement