Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

dunworth1 wrote: »
    He sold the wii u ages ago ;)

Might want to get a quick status update there... Wouldn't want you embarrassing yourself....

He bought another one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Ah I knew it Sony fanclub
    I've both consoles too. Ps4 is a great system with lots of horse power and I've built up a nice Indy catalogue to play with on it. I've got bf4 and cod ghost just cause my little fella has them on ps3 so I paid for the upgrade but I've yet to actually buy a full price retail game for it, nothing is really grabbing my by the balls and saying you need me in your life.
    Funny thing is with the wii U every new release is a launch day purchase. Strange that as I'm not a fanboy of any console in fact the only reason I have the wii U is because my little fella won't play it since he got it for Xmas 2012. But the games are magic on it.

iamtony wrote: »
    I've both consoles too. Ps4 is a great system with lots of horse power and I've built up a nice Indy catalogue to play with on it. I've got bf4 and cod ghost just cause my little fella has them on ps3 so I paid for the upgrade but I've yet to actually buy a full price retail game for it, nothing is really grabbing my by the balls and saying you need me in your life.
    Funny thing is with the wii U every new release is a launch day purchase. Strange that as I'm not a fanboy of any console in fact the only reason I have the wii U is because my little fella won't play it since he got it for Xmas 2012. But the games are magic on it.
    sorry that seems out of context it was in reply to dark knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

sorry that seems out of context it was in reply to dark knight.

just to clear it up i was just having a jest at dark knight

Just wondering why the Wii U isn't in this poll? It's the most enjoyable out of all the current gen systems at the moment. Sorry if this has bein brought up already I haven't reAd the whole thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just wondering why the Wii U isn't in this poll? It's the most enjoyable out of all the current gen systems at the moment. Sorry if this has bein brought up already I haven't reAd the whole thread.

To raise the WiiU as a current gen choice is to risk being tarred an instant, I can't use the word but let's call it Nintendo fanatic who is out of touch with reality and plays games that are irrelevant to big hairy men, to paraphrase one individual here.
    Of course, nothing could be further from the truth and the games released over the past year as well as what's coming to the format over the next year would suggest it's a pretty essential buy for anyone who enjoys games.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    To raise the WiiU as a current gen choice is to risk being tarred an instant, I can't use the word but let's call it Nintendo fanatic who is out of touch with reality and plays games that are irrelevant to big hairy men, to paraphrase one individual here.
    Of course, nothing could be further from the truth and the games released over the past year as well as what's coming to the format over the next year would suggest it's a pretty essential buy for anyone who enjoys games.
    true about the essential buy part. I think it's mostly young kids and adults who enjoy the wii U the majority of gamers are teens or that awkward age group from about 10 on who think the games are too childish for them and they prefer to play COD etc. to feel cool or grown up or something.
    So basically I'm saying if you don't have a wii U you are either young and don't know any better or are too immature to enjoy the best games out their at present! Sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

basically I'm saying if you don't have a wii U you are either young and don't know any better or are too immature to enjoy the best games out their at present

Ha! Almost word for word that came up in an office discussion recently. I'm inclined to agree for most cases, but not for all. Some people just genuinely don't enjoy the genres Nintendo excels at, which is fine. Those people are hideously broken, but it's still fine

The tide seems to be turning in terms of opinion, even in these forums, but unfortunately it may be too little too late.
    I can afford whatever consoles I like but if I could only buy one, if I only had the space for one or if I only had the choice of one console, for whatever reason, to last me the next 5 years, is probably buy a PS4. :(
    I can buy a WiiU safe in the knowledge that there are outstanding games there, games that will still be standards in 10 years time, but I would be a fool to see a future for the format beyond 2016/17.
    I can buy the WiiU because I also know I will own a PS4 and an XB1 in time.
    And I know, as a fan of all things Nintendo that is probably not a popular thing to say.
    But, if I'd only owned a Wii and a DS last gen, forgoing the PS3 and 360 is have been foolish, but also foolish for not having the opportunity to play Metroid Prime trilogy and the Mario Galaxy titles, to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I can see Nintendo eventually abandoning hardware and focusing on software just like Sega did after the Dreamcast.

They'll more than likely partner with Sony or Microsoft and make games exclusively for that platform. Just a predication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Doubt it. Their next console will probably have a feature nobody thought of, and their games will still be of the highest quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The thread is PS4 v XB1 because they were both announced around the same time and were due to be released around the same time, so the thread/poll was about them. WiiU was already out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

So explain to me why Atari Jaguar is winning the poll?
    i now own a ps4... ill give my thoughts on both systems during next week

This has made my mind up! For me this thread can now close, no more to see here........

NORTH1 wrote: »

Some would say it's a protest vote.
    I would say it's because Tempest 2000 really is THAT good. (and it is, Aliens Vs Predator is sh1te)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can see Nintendo eventually abandoning hardware and focusing on software just like Sega did after the Dreamcast.

They'll more than likely partner with Sony or Microsoft and make games exclusively for that platform. Just a predication.

Not a hope of that in the next 10 years. If anything Microsoft will be out first. Nintendo have too much valuable IP and capital to go under after posting 2 years in the red. Microsoft on the other hand has been considering ditching the gaming division which has consistently lost billions since the Xbox. Sony are in worse trouble as well although the console business is successful so that won't be going anywhere although their videogame division have had much worse runs of losses than Nintendo ever had.

The problem is there's too many people thinking that because they write for a games website that they are now qualified market analysts. There's a big difference between Nintendo now and Sega during the Dreamcast era. Sega never had the cash reserves that Nintendo had and had gone through 6 years of terrible losses without any successful products released. Nintendo on the other hand have billions, lots of divisions that could be sold off, valuable IP, a booming merchandising model that has really taken off and an extremely successful line of handhelds.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

NORTH1 wrote: »

This has made my mind up! For me this thread can now close, no more to see here........

Because a mod added 900 Atari jaguar votes. The wiiU was never presented as on option so it was suddenly decided that the poll was meaningless after nearly 1000 ppl had voted, at a ratio of about 4-1 PS4. A lot of these votes were made at a time the xbone was extremely unpopular and voting since has gone more 3-1 to the ps4 with a few Atari jaguar votes thrown in.

*Edit For clarity I don't own any console apart from a Vita atm, Have been keeping on eye on this thread as I was planning on picking one up but no games have particularly appealed to me on either. A lot of the WiiU comments have peaked my interest in it but not enough to get me to part with my cash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not true. the Atari Jaguar option was added because a poll without an Atari Jaguar option is a grave mistake. The votes were added as a true reflection of the feelings of the population of North Korea.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Because a mod added 900 Atari jaguar votes. The wiiU was never presented as on option so it was suddenly decided that the poll was meaningless after nearly 1000 ppl had voted, at a ratio of about 4-1 PS4. A lot of these votes were made at a time the xbone was extremely unpopular and voting since has gone more 3-1 to the ps4 with a few Atari jaguar votes thrown in.

*Edit For clarity I don't own any console apart from a Vita atm, Have been keeping on eye on this thread as I was planning on picking one up but no games have particularly appealed to me on either. A lot of the WiiU comments have peaked my interest in it but not enough to get me to part with my cash.

So, the mods are defrauding the polling public?
    I assume you've some sort of proof of this gross manipulation?

I wish that the whole Atari Jaguar thing was done with a cool console. But then I guess it would lose all the irony. But zero of the humour, because it has run it's course, but at least Atari knew when to kill a bad joke, I guess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Something like this?
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not true. the Atari Jaguar option was added because a poll without an Atari Jaguar option is a grave mistake. The votes were added as a true reflection of the feelings of the population of North Korea.

• Advertisement

Who says anyone is defrauding anyone. A mod decides the poll wasn't relevant and changes it. Thats the mods prerogative. I wouldnt base my decison on a public poll on boards, would you?

I actually thought it was quiet humorous at the time when the poll was changed, considering the sort of discussions that were going on. My opinion hasen't changed about this thread or about what console I would purchase based on the discussions within, all this thread has done peaked my interest in the WiiU considering the more level headed posters have been singing its praises.

I'd say his tongue was firmly in his cheek there. Or licking one of his many controllers, you'd never know what Ciderman gets up to.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I wish that the whole Atari Jaguar thing was done with a cool console. But then I guess it would lose all the irony. But zero of the humour, because it has run it's course, but at least Atari knew when to kill a bad joke, I guess.

20081019184008%21Interessometro_-_care-o-meter.jpg

Funnily enough I think of that when anyone mentions some great Jaguar game!

I'd say his tongue was firmly in his cheek there. Or licking one of his many controllers, you'd never know what Ciderman gets up to.

If that's the case it flew right over my head!

Funnily enough I think of that when anyone mentions some great Jaguar game!

Sure there's only the one, Tempest 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not a hope of that in the next 10 years. If anything Microsoft will be out first. Nintendo have too much valuable IP and capital to go under after posting 2 years in the red. Microsoft on the other hand has been considering ditching the gaming division which has consistently lost billions since the Xbox. Sony are in worse trouble as well although the console business is successful so that won't be going anywhere although their videogame division have had much worse runs of losses than Nintendo ever had.

The problem is there's too many people thinking that because they write for a games website that they are now qualified market analysts. There's a big difference between Nintendo now and Sega during the Dreamcast era. Sega never had the cash reserves that Nintendo had and had gone through 6 years of terrible losses without any successful products released. Nintendo on the other hand have billions, lots of divisions that could be sold off, valuable IP, a booming merchandising model that has really taken off and an extremely successful line of handhelds.

How dare you talk sense, Nintendo are going bust... they have no money and will make Mario for the Xbox with exclusive DLC map packs. /s

Honestly, I always get a chuckle when people make these Nintendo going the way of Sega predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The subtlety of his irony/sarcasm is legendary,sometimes he doesnt even know himself.......

I should have put in a wink, I keep forgetting the ;)
    And I was licking my Rez trance pack if you must know.... ;) .....

• Advertisement

I don't even know what that means and... yeah. We'll leave it at that :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement