Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm confused... Again...
    Are we all agreed the XB1 is going the way of the Jaguar, The Last Guardian is going to be a WiiU exclusive and that Nintendo were going to give up on making consoles and going back to making playing cards, but now with Sony branding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Magill wrote: »
    How dare you talk sense, Nintendo are going bust... they have no money and will make Mario for the Xbox with exclusive DLC map packs. /s

Honestly, I always get a chuckle when people make these Nintendo going the way of Sega predictions.

The armchair Nintendo CEO's are the worst. 'Nintendo should quit the console business and go third party' as if it was that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Magill wrote: »
    How dare you talk sense, Nintendo are going bust... they have no money and will make Mario for the Xbox with exclusive DLC map packs. /s

Honestly, I always get a chuckle when people make these Nintendo going the way of Sega predictions.

Honestly, I always get a chuckle when people read back a few posts and realise there was never a mention of Nintendo going bust. Reading is highly overrated I guess.

I think Nintendo make great software but they seem to be having difficulty with consoles. I think it would make perfect sense for Nintendo to make console games only for a platform that has already got its place in the market like PS4 and that way they don't have to keep working on developing a console that can penetrate the market.

One of the reasons for losses in Microsoft and Sony is the R & D that goes into developing consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think Nintendo make great software but they seem to be having difficulty with consoles.

They really....really...really don't.

Grayditch wrote: »
    They really....really...really don't.

How much of the console market do they have compared to PS4?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The WiiU might not be stacking up to the PS4 or Xbox1, but the Wii sold a lot more than both the PS3 and 360 (approx 100m to Sony/MS 80-85m each), and the range of DS handhelds has been insane. Over the last 8 years, Nintendo have almost definitely had the biggest overall share of the console market.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

But the Wii-U isn't doing so well, so they have "difficulty with consoles". By those standards, I'd say Microsoft are having difficulty with consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

More than the XB1 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Close to the same market share

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Doesn't really say anything about anything. You don't need to understand something to invest in it. You just need money…

Doesn't really say anything about anything. You don't need to understand something to invest in it. You just need money…

Says everything really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Since when does popularity equate to quality? Or do you listen to Justin Bieber all day, I hear he's quite popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Penn wrote: »
    The WiiU might not be stacking up to the PS4 or Xbox1, but the Wii sold a lot more than both the PS3 and 360 (approx 100m to Sony/MS 80-85m each), and the range of DS handhelds has been insane. Over the last 8 years, Nintendo have almost definitely had the biggest overall share of the console market.

Handhelds aside, the Wii was the anomaly in their console sales. They have been decreasing since the the NES.

NES - 61.91 million

SNES - 49.10 million

N64 - 32.93 million

GameCube - 21.74 million

Wii - 101.06 million

Wii U - 6.17 million

All figures are shipped and acquired from Wikipedia

I see that the Wii U sales have increased which is great but I thought the PS4 was crushing the Nintendo Wii in units sold.

Keno wrote: »
    Handhelds aside, the Wii was the anomaly in their console sales. They have been decreasing since the the NES.

NES - 61.91 million

SNES - 49.10 million

N64 - 32.93 million

GameCube - 21.74 million

Wii - 101.06 million

Wii U - 6.17 million

all consoles other than wii u up to this point have been very profitable , they got cocky and read the market all wrong trying to tackle both keeping the casuals and trying to get back the hardcore. they acknowledged that handhelds and consoles have to intertwine leaving out long gap periods that normally would be filled out by 3rd party support.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Keno wrote: »

NES - 61.91 million

SNES - 49.10 million

N64 - 32.93 million

GameCube - 21.74 million

Wii - 101.06 million

Wii U - 6.17 million

Utter rubbish statistics. It's just selective data which is biased because it totally ignores firstly the expanding console market which has grown year on year and secondly completely ignores Nintendo's handheld consoles.

Also going third party would mean Nintendo would take a massive hit. Creating their own platform to publish on is far more profitable than going third party. Going third party means they lose revenue from console sales, licensing and manufacturing fees to the first parties and losing control of a lot of their marketing. It's really not as simple as bigger market, they'll sell more. There's an enormous amount of factors to consider in the equation which is why Nintendo hire financial and market advisors and not keyboard warriors on Neogaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm confused... Again...
    Are we all agreed the XB1 is going the way of the Jaguar, The Last Guardian is going to be a WiiU exclusive and that Nintendo were going to give up on making consoles and going back to making playing cards, but now with Sony branding.

I'd say the odds of The Last Guardian coming out on WiiU are about as good as it coming out on PS3/4 at this stage.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Utter rubbish statistics. It's just selective data which is biased because it totally ignores firstly the expanding console market which has grown year on year and secondly completely ignores Nintendo's handheld consoles.

Firstly ignoring the hand helds means you can no longer judge Nintendo as a whole or their future as 1st party but it doesn't negate what it means to their Home console position. Nintendo aren't going anywhere and they'll probably always have a presence in the home market but as they've said themselves they're a toy company, and while the form that they deliver their products to the home market might change in some odd way it's still going to be there.

And in regards to the expanding market, I'm not sure what you mean as a larger market should allow for larger sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lEWvMmI.jpg

• Advertisement

The biggest joke in all this is 3rd party wont bring games to wii u and there reason is like ubisoft is the install base is to small but wii u sold 2 million plus more than xbox one ???

Am I missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The biggest joke in all this is 3rd party wont bring games to wii u and there reason is like ubisoft is the install base is to small but wii u sold 2 million plus more than xbox one ???

Am I missing something ?

I imagine third party sales are not significant on Wii U. Although that is partly due to the third parties porting older titles too I imagine.

It's a bit of a crappy situation for the Wii U at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Am I missing something ?

in fairness , the wii u is out alot longer :pac: hopefully their install base grows over the next year or two because their conference has convinced me to buy one

btw can't wait for bloodborne:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The thing is, versions of major third party games on Wii U are from here on out going to be at best the third or fourth best, at best. There's going to be the 18 month grace period when there's a lot of cross-gen releases, but starting I'd say late this year but really kicking off in 2015 there's going to be a whole lot of next-gen exclusives as the transition period eases out. And it's not going to be worth developer's time to make a dedicated, downscaled version for the Wii U market. And why would any of us want it anyway? There's been a lot of talk about the Wii U version of Watch Dogs, but unless the Gamepad integration is truly exceptional - and I'm not talking about a few gimmicky uses - or game changing it's going to be totally overshadowed by the X1, PS4 and PC versions anyway (although I believe the PC version isn't without its problems!). Best we can really hope for is a slightly better version than the 360 and PS3 releases. So unless you're someone who has a Wii U and a Wii U alone - a very small market indeed, I'd wager - there's going to be several alternatives, and undeniably superior ones if you own or plan on owning a decent PC or next-gen console: again barring some game changing GamePad invention.

As for 3rd party support with original games, that's a tricky one - it would be very welcome considering the unique side of the hardware (someone out there must surely have an idea for a truly inspired local multiplayer game, for example) the market just doesn't seem to be there. Here's the bigger problem with that - even if Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. and other big exclusives ultimately push sales to the point where the market is significantly bigger, it's going to take ages for third parties to respond to that and develop games for it. Years, even.

It's a strange situation all-in-all with no easy solutions. That said, as someone who finally bought a Wii U earlier this week, there's enough major releases out or on the horizon to feel like a purchase is entirely worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Given the hardware disparity, the only third party games that will make any kind of impression on Wii U are going to be dedicated titles rather than ports, and with everyone playing it so safe in the industry at the moment it looks unlikely any major third parties are going to be willing to attempt it.

I was privy to a bit of off the record game sales info a while back, and the performance of third party games on Wii U is genuinely disturbing. Some pretty big name games were struggling to break 4 figures a month and it was costing retailers more to pay for the staff to unpack them and put them on the shelves than they were making from selling the things

It will be like the Wii again. Lots of great first party titles with the odd great third party game. There'll be big gaps between releases. The only difference is the lack of shovelware but sure that just gets ignored anyway. I'd be happy enough with that considering at the moment the other two consoles aren't really offering anything at the moment or in the near future that looks interesting and the fact that the Wii was a fine console.

So for the trending stats thing. The problem with that is you are selectively ignoring figures to make a point which is biased as well as not considering any other factors that could contribute to the figures either. It's just plain wrong to think like that. It's the kind of stuff you see managers doing to massage results and it's unfortunately very common outside of the scientific community (although it unfortunately happens there as well) but it's just plain wrong to do it and form any conclusions from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The July Mario Kart 8 and hardware sales figures will be very telling IMO. I think it'll show a massive drop off, which will continue week on week until the holidays when it'll pick up again. The thing about Nintendo's major games like MK8 is that the bulk of people who want to play them already have the console they're launched on, and will buy within a month. Everything after that is where the interesting numbers will come into play, and it'll start to show what the genuine interest level of the public is

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It will be like the Wii again. Lots of great first party titles with the odd great third party game. There'll be big gaps between releases. The only difference is the lack of shovelware but sure that just gets ignored anyway. I'd be happy enough with that considering at the moment the other two consoles aren't really offering anything at the moment or in the near future that looks interesting and the fact that the Wii was a fine console.

So for the trending stats thing. The problem with that is you are selectively ignoring figures to make a point which is biased as well as not considering any other factors that could contribute to the figures either. It's just plain wrong to think like that. It's the kind of stuff you see managers doing to massage results and it's unfortunately very common outside of the scientific community (although it unfortunately happens there as well) but it's just plain wrong to do it and form any conclusions from it.

Ignoring the Wii as a fluke aside, which is enough on it's own to invalidate his conclusions.

You've mention unnamed factors, expanding market (makes no sense), and handhelds which shouldn't be included anyway (at least in the narrow view of Nintendo's future in the home console market), and none of which adds to your argument or make any sense to me in regards to the expanding market share.

All you are doing is presenting numbers with nothing to back up what they actually mean which is biased. The fact that you then go on to say you are discounting the wii as a fluke and the handheld market just adds further bias to the figures which means they mean absolutely nothing. It's just massaging figures to suit your argument. The figures mean nothing without context.

It's just keyboard market analysis where all you are saying is 'oh look the figures are going down (if we selectively ignore the phenomenal success of the handheld consoles and the wii since that was a fluke)'. It's frankly ridiculous and a first year doing a business degree would be embarassed to hand up so etching like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

As a ms fanboy it kills me to admit the ps 4 is a beast lol great system..

One thing i always said was ms cust service class but sony service really impressed me today i bought a used ps4 with 2 controllers for 300 the controllers were wrecked and after a call today ps are replacing both controllers with new and truth is i had no proof of purchase

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement