Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That's pretty sound. Mauldy controllers would ruin the buzz of a new console (even 2nd hand), so I'm glad ya got that sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    All you are doing is presenting numbers with nothing to back up what they actually mean which is biased. The fact that you then go on to say you are discounting the wii as a fluke and the handheld market just adds further bias to the figures which means they mean absolutely nothing. It's just massaging figures to suit your argument. The figures mean nothing without context.

It's just keyboard market analysis where all you are saying is 'oh look the figures are going down (if we selectively ignore the phenomenal success of the handheld consoles and the wii since that was a fluke)'. It's frankly ridiculous and a first year doing a business degree would be embarassed to hand up so etching like that.

1: Original post isn't mine, the figures and conclusions also isn't mine.

2: I didn't ignore or write the Wii off as a fluke, it's the main reason that the original posters conclusion is flawed. But him being wrong doesn't make everything you said right.

3: The handhelds have an important part in Nintendo's future as a whole and in building their brands, and they are still not home consoles so how can you insist they be used analysing the home systems current and past sales. They do help in improving sales of the home consoles by contributing to the manufacturer's product mindshare, but they don't replace them.

4: Figures do mean nothing without context but all you presented is empty statements with nothing to back them up, which seem to be followed by insults and irrelevant similes and metaphors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Grayditch wrote: »
    That's pretty sound. Mauldy controllers would ruin the buzz of a new console (even 2nd hand), so I'm glad ya got that sorted.
    Grayditch those controllers honestly smelyt like arse ****1ng disgusting..

Doki doki needs to be played drunk lol trippy game

Grayditch those controllers honestly smelyt like arse ****1ng disgusting..

I think I'd rather worn out sticks than that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Varik wrote: »
    4: Figures do mean nothing without context but all you presented is empty statements with nothing to back them up, which seem to be followed by insults and irrelevant similes and metaphors.

What empty statements? There's nothing to say about it other than its a load of cods wallop. It's from the same school of armchair market analysis saying the dreamcast sold as much as the wiiu during the same time frame which was again made up stats and figures.

As for handhelds, they are still videogame consoles.sure they can't directly be compared to home consoles but they can't just be totally discounted either especially considering their success for Nintendo usually eclipses the success of home consoles.

• Advertisement

I think I'd rather worn out sticks than that.
    Sticks were worn out and controllers were manky :(

Tbh lads unless you own both the one and the 4 you are peasants

#im off to get sme popcorn for this topic..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

And have a high end gaming PC as well to get the best of 3 worlds.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wash your hands first dude after those mauldy controllers :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I bet Sony wish the Vita was as successful a pointless irrelevant console as the 3ds!

Many held the opinion that the Nintendo dominated handheld market was at an end and that Apple would show us all how it is done.
    Didn't really work out that way tbh.

I have a feeling that seeing that the enormous success of the Wii, DS and 3DS, not to mention the various Gameboy consoles doesn't really fit with the idea that Nintendo are in a deep crisis and a persistent downward spiral, it's easier to just exclude the data you don't like .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I think the point being made is that the software is far superior to the hardware. No one is debating that they are stuck for money and fair play to them for selling so many handheld consoles.

But just have a quick look at the hardware.

3DS - No one cares about 3D at all and they've actually removed that with the introduction of the 2DS. But it doesn't matter as the software is top quality

Wii U - Tablet controller that very few games make any worthwhile use of.

Wii - Motion controls which were only ever really perfected in Wii Sports and Skyward Sword.

I suppose they are trying at least but I wouldn't say they are all successful hardware implementations.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I bet Sony wish the Vita was as successful a pointless irrelevant console as the 3ds!

Many held the opinion that the Nintendo dominated handheld market was at an end and that Apple would show us all how it is done.
    Didn't really work out that way tbh.

I have a feeling that seeing that the enormous success of the Wii, DS and 3DS, not to mention the various Gameboy consoles doesn't really fit with the idea that Nintendo are in a deep crisis and a persistent downward spiral, it's easier to just exclude the data you don't like .

You see a lot of kids playing on their parents phones sitting in waiting rooms or rolling along in a stroller, and I don't think that's a loss for Nintendo but in fact actually a new customer. Parents still want the kids to stay quite, it's why they give them their €600 phones but who in their right mind wouldn't rather give the kid something a bit more appropriate and at the same time get their phone back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You see a lot of kids playing on their parents phones sitting in waiting rooms or rolling along in a stroller, and I don't think that's a loss for Nintendo but in fact actually a new customer. Parents still want the kids to stay quite, it's why they give them their €600 phones but who in their right mind wouldn't rather give the kid something a bit more appropriate and at the same time get their phone back.

Kids and parents love phones/tablets more then Handhelds these days. As much as I hate it, I understand why.
    They already got a phone and they can buy tablets for kids very cheaply. In a lot of cases they got tablets at home already.
    Now the most biggest issue parents see: the cost of games. One game on 3ds is about 50eu in gamestop. Yes smartarse, you can get them cheaper online, but very small amount of parents buy games for kids online, unless they are gamers themselves. 99cent or free is hard to beat on tablets...

Actually game prices was the biggest complain parent had, when I talked to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

You'll pick up a decent tablet for not much more than a €100. Download a load of age appropriate free games and you can see why it's a lot more tempting than a DS for parents. We gone through 5-6 DS consoles at this stage with the kids because they hinge has broken. I know the 2DS avoids this problem but let's be honest - it's gick looking.

If I'd a kid, I'd get it a 2Ds.

I won't be getting one soon, cause I'd rather a Wii-U.

As in, I'd rather a Wii-U over a kid :) I'll never grow up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The software on ios and android is no match for the proper games on the 3ds or vita. Sure there are exceptions but really going free to play or 99c isn't going to allow you the budget to compete.

However to most parents a game is a game so they feel a tablet will do. Most kids will probably get into handhelds through pokemon which is hugely important to Nintendo but I'd say Nintendo have lost half of that market to mobile and tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

HMV galway offering 100 euro off PS4 or Xbox one on 5th july while stocks last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The software on ios and android is no match for the proper games on the 3ds or vita. Sure there are exceptions but really going free to play or 99c isn't going to allow you the budget to compete.

However to most parents a game is a game so they feel a tablet will do. Most kids will probably get into handhelds through pokemon which is hugely important to Nintendo but I'd say Nintendo have lost half of that market to mobile and tablets.

I think a major problem for Nintendo, besides the growing popularity of mobile gaming, is the fact that this could be the last generation of home consoles if PS Now is a sign of things to come. I think the likes of Sony and Playstation will become almost like mobile network in that they will facilitate people being able to play games through their TV or tablet or whatever using their store like a gaming Netflix without the need for a physical console. If that happens, Nintendo are feckered and they will really end up being the Nokia of the gaming companies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Bandit 6

beercr8te wrote: »
    HMV galway offering 100 euro off PS4 or Xbox one on 5th july while stocks last.

just galway store?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Advertisement

They'll probably have about 4 of them, each.

They'll probably have about 4 of them, each.
    if even

like Harvey norman sales 1 max 2 of great value items. sales pitch to get bodies in the doors

• Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Penn

if even

like Harvey norman sales 1 max 2 of great value items. sales pitch to get bodies in the doors

Yeah. Isn't the Galway HMV the one they just recently opened?

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah. Isn't the Galway HMV the one they just recently opened?
    tbh im unsure never in galway really. p

tbh im unsure never in galway really. p

It didn't reopen at the same time as the rest, but I'm not sure if it opened recently or not.

Someone on another thread said they had ten and they're all gone.

Someone on another thread said they had ten and they're all gone.

Someone chancing their arm, trying to stop other from going in.

At the discount they're offering it's worth it to have a look in.

No, like the shop had ten units. Bait deal. Always the same. I'd say the staff had most bought before the shop opened.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

No, like the shop had ten units. Bait deal. Always the same. I'd say the staff had most bought before the shop opened.

Baseless speculation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I agree, handheld games are way better. Problem is, that parents ( who are not gamers) don't give a ****. Parents just see price tags.
    All of my friends who have kids have bought tablets for the kids. Even if they had ds or 3ds, kids still used mostly tablets. They play on tablets, but at the same time they got youtube, Internet.

I personally don't want to see handhelds go. I find mobile gaming full of ****e and mediocre clone crap. When I have kids they will have handhelds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement