Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Baseless speculation?

Which part, where I relayed what someone on the other thread said about there being ten models, all sold, or this bit where I guessed staff might have had dibs in them first?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Which part, where I relayed what someone on the other thread said about there being ten models, all sold, or this bit where I guessed staff might have had dibs in them first?

Why not both? (the bit where you relayed some heresay and the bit where you suggested that staff had bought those ten consoles) :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

tok9 wrote: »
    3DS - No one cares about 3D at all and they've actually removed that with the introduction of the 2DS. But it doesn't matter as the software is top quality

Actually, plenty of people care about the 3D.
    The 2DS was released to target the under 7 market who may have their eyesight damaged by the 3D feature of the main console.
    The recent Pokemon title, X/Y, makes little use of 3D but Kirby Triple Deluxe is a masterclass in the use of 3D, despite being a 2D platformer, it is even more impressive to see than both Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, and that's saying something.
    Wii U - Tablet controller that very few games make any worthwhile use of.
    I think the Gamepad is under utilised in terms of unique gameplay opportunities, though many people who play WiiU in their living room will transfer the TV to the controller, so they can continue with, say, Mario Kart 8 while their kids play another console on the main TV, or their spouse watches regular TV.

Wii - Motion controls which were only ever really perfected in Wii Sports and Skyward Sword.
    An overgeneralisation to be honest.
    Yes, few third parties seemed to get the Motion controls and a lot of the best of those actively avoided using them, Monster Hunter 3, Xenoblade Chronicles, Goldeneye Reloaded.
    But titles like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Skyward, Wii Sports and Play, even games like COD:MW and it's sequels on the Wii managed to use motion controls very well.
    I suppose they are trying at least but I wouldn't say they are all successful hardware implementations.
    To be honest, they really aren't alone, with MS failing in a big way with two generations of Kinect, at least Nintendo had the sense to move from motion controls being the centre of the WiiU to the Gamepad, MS made it the centrepiece of the XB1, and look where it got them.
    Sony fared little better with the Playstation Eye and the various doo-dads they released to try and make it relevant, PS Move, Wonderbook and so on, once again none made a dent in the market.
    As a result both the current PS4 and XB1 lineups are conspicuously controlled by, well, the standard controllers.

Why not both? (the bit where you relayed some heresay and the bit where you suggested that staff had bought those ten consoles) :pac:

Sorry my speculative post got up your arse, but speculative it was yeah. Baseless? I've worked in game shops where I've grabbed dibs on deals like this.

And stored where they get a very small amount of stock on sale to get people into the store for an opening.

Take what you will from that, and for anyone else reading in Galway... don't take my speculation as anything other than that, head on down there and best of luck.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sorry my speculative post got up your arse

No need to apologise, it didn't, you're overreacting and being a tad dramatic.

Nothing more to add now that you've answered the question I asked originally.

• Advertisement

Glad I could help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dear Glob close the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Actually, plenty of people care about the 3D.
    The 2DS was released to target the under 7 market who may have their eyesight damaged by the 3D feature of the main console.
    That's a very nice marketing line. If it was that much of a concern it would have been released a lot earlier than it was.
    I think the Gamepad is under utilised in terms of unique gameplay opportunities, though many people who play WiiU in their living room will transfer the TV to the controller, so they can continue with, say, Mario Kart 8 while their kids play another console on the main TV, or their spouse watches regular TV.

It's not even a debate really. The gamepad is currently under utilised. Sure remote play is a nice feature but it adds nothing to the gameplay itself.
    An overgeneralisation to be honest.
    Yes, few third parties seemed to get the Motion controls and a lot of the best of those actively avoided using them, Monster Hunter 3, Xenoblade Chronicles, Goldeneye Reloaded.
    But titles like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Skyward, Wii Sports and Play, even games like COD:MW and it's sequels on the Wii managed to use motion controls very well.

You say it's an overgeneralisation yet only mention 5 games that implement it well.. 2 of which I had already mentioned.Btw I don't disagree, Metroid Prime was a joy to experience first time using the wii but overall there wasn’t enough content like that which fully utilised the motion control.
    To be honest, they really aren't alone, with MS failing in a big way with two generations of Kinect, at least Nintendo had the sense to move from motion controls being the centre of the WiiU to the Gamepad, MS made it the centrepiece of the XB1, and look where it got them.
    Sony fared little better with the Playstation Eye and the various doo-dads they released to try and make it relevant, PS Move, Wonderbook and so on, once again none made a dent in the market.

I actually thought the first Kinect sold pretty well?

Next up we'll see how Morpheus does which I'm excited for but I imagine will go the way most peripherals do go. Maybe VR will be different.
    As a result both the current PS4 and XB1 lineups are conspicuously controlled by, well, the standard controllers.

True but the Wii U has a more unique controller and yet there is very little unique experiences with it.

tok9 wrote: »
    That's a very nice marketing line. If it was that much of a concern it would have been released a lot earlier than it was.

To be honest, by the time the 3DS was launched here the concerns over the affects on the eye development of children was well documented and in the health and safety notices of the hardware itself.

The 2DS was launched pretty rapidly too, about 2 years after the first model of 3DS and within a year of the 3DS:XL, mostly to capitalise on a traditionally Nintendo market that may have been put off by the 3D concerns, as mentioned before.

I have the XL and the 2DS, having had a 3DS since launch and find the device to be a pleasure.
    It doesn't seem like 3 years since the console was launched tbh!

And the range of titles on the console is only improving.

But it goes to show that Nintendo do respond to market demands, they are not living in a bubble and as opposed to what was suggested, it's not all about having superior hardware, or rather that the moniker of "superior hardware" does not indicate CPU/GPU/RAM quality alone, rather a synergy of the constituent parts and the willingness to use the finished product in original ways.
    This is something Nintendo, over the years, has excelled at.
    In particular this is visible between the Vita and 3DS, with the former failing as a host to cut down PS3 titles, and the latter succeeding with the range of games tailored to the form.
    It's all but confirmed in the refreshed fortunes of the Vita as a result of an active indie development scene on the console producing most titles of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

You can believe that if you want but imo the 2DS was released as a cheaper option.

Really 3DS is just a more powerful DS but again it doesn't matter. It has quality exclusive software.. something I wish the vita had.

• Advertisement

The 3DS is a more powerful DS?
    link to the past!

Only because they share a design could that be considered true.
    The equivalent thing to say might be that the DS is a more powerful GBA, or that the GBA is a more powerful GB.
    It's a completely new system.
    It shares some features to maintain backwards compatibility but that is all.
    The 3DS is no more a more powerful DS than the PS3 was a more powerful PS2.

But, of course you're right, that doesn't matter, the games do all the work and, boy, does the 3DS have a glittering array of great software.

I do loves me Vita too though, Wipeout alone makes it worth owning, and Tempesst TxK seals the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

sorry but I disagree to the fullest skyward implemented motion controls very well , it was piss poor.

Rolling bombs was a hassle and whatever direction I was swing the game decided otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For everyone who thought Skyward Sword worked swimmingly, there's another who hated the controls. Quite interesting the range of opinions on it. Worked perfectly fine for me bar one or two small annoyances and quirks, but nothing that impacted my enjoyment of the game, which I thought was one of the liveliest and freshest Zelda games yet (excepting those darn dusky collectathons).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The controls in skyward sword annoyed me but even worse was making the whole game one big dungeon with no exploration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I wanna throw link between worlds in for the sake of it , I could not finish it as I thought it was very boring , link to the past is still the best in the series

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Was there ever an official outcome from this debate? I'm looking into buying a next gen console but unsure of which one to go for (first).

The Xbox One looks impressive, but that could simply be down to the size of Microsoft's marketing budget. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of which one would be "better"? Or is there even much of a difference between the two?

I think it went something like:

PC
    PS3
    XBOX 360
    PS4
    WiiU
    Xbox One
    Backgammon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

PC
    PS3
    XBOX 360
    PS4
    WiiU
    Xbox One
    Backgammon

So, in other words, I'm better off holding onto my cash and keeping my own PS3 and Xbox 360! Okay then, suddenly I'm not as eager to upgrade any more! :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

PC
    PS3
    XBOX 360
    PS4
    WiiU
    Xbox One
    Backgammon

I actually like that. I really do.

Wilberto wrote: »
    So, in other words, I'm better off holding onto my cash and keeping my own PS3 and Xbox 360! Okay then, suddenly I'm not as eager to upgrade any more! :D:pac:

Ah, I think the best bet is to look at videos of the exclusive games for each, and the scheduled games set for release. I started the next gen early, cause I wanted to play shinier versions of the newer games and after deciding that, I went for PS4 because I wanted to play the new Killzone and Infamous games. That and loads of people on my friends list were getting them, so we've had some fun games together so far.

I'm sure that's a similar story to some Xbox One players, just replace Infamous and Killzone with ... Titanfall and Dead Rising 3, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wilberto wrote: »
    Was there ever an official outcome from this debate? I'm looking into buying a next gen console but unsure of which one to go for (first).

The Xbox One looks impressive, but that could simply be down to the size of Microsoft's marketing budget. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of which one would be "better"? Or is there even much of a difference between the two?

Most have gone PS4 over XB1, but it's not an indication of quality of console or exclusives. It's more to do with Microsoft's launching of the XB1 and the problems caused by that. In reality, there's very little between the consoles and exclusives, and most of the distinguishing features between the two come down to preference and nice-to-haves rather than must-haves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

I wish i waited another year tbh. most games that are out i can get on last gen anyway at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

currently have both and both very good systems seems the next year is gonna bring some epic games to both... cannot wait tbh

I'm just crushed that Backgammon made the list but Kerplunk and Buckaroo didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

how many people here have a view of titanfall being absolutely amazing game but they have never played it?

but titanfall is a deadly game just lacking content IMO

how many people here have a view of titanfall being absolutely amazing game but they have never played it?

It will probably enjoy a second life when is maps are included in its multiplatform sequel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm only playing on 360, but I love Titanfall. A whole load of fun, that's easy to hop in and have a few rounds every so often. It's an FPS that is at pains to make sure there's a relatively level playing field for players of all experience, so it doesn't feel like you need to be at top rank to reasonably compete in a game - that's a godsend for someone like me who never has the 100s of hours to commit to other online shooters. Probably not a game to play for hours every night, but then I don't tend to play games with that sort of commitment anyway.

I know there's plenty of people who don't like the game, but it's easily the most fun I've had with an FPS in years and years, and I love how lean and no nonsense the package is (which I fully understand others hate). That said, given the PC version and the surprisingly strong 360 port, I wouldn't even remotely consider it a killer app for the One.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think I will be moving in my ps3 in to bedroom. After deciding not to play warframe on PS4, I hit the bottom of the barrel. I am playing ghost team deathmatch and being completely destroyed by 10 year olds.
    Something very cute happened in last match. There were two lads on our team In their 30ies. They were using public chat so we all could hear their conversations. It started with "what we do? Where we go? Let's defended in this house, Watch my back etc. By the end of the round it was "This is bull****! How,the feck they killed me! Where did he came from! **** this game!".

So yeah, don't really want to play anything on PS4 right now, so I might plat some of my ps3 ps+ backlog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

i wouldnt even say its a lack of content thats the problem (apart from the lack of titan variety) there just doesnt seem to be a hook. i loved the game but when i prestiged i didnt want to play as compulsively as i did before

i would like to see more titans beyond the 3 though

maybe its down to a lack of excitement in the game every game seems to end up being a blow out and the only moments that delivered were wining 2/3v1 in a light titan

Bots also dont help imo

• Advertisement

As much as it surprised me, when I went over to a friends for a game night, Ghosts co-op against bots was a lot of fun and was the game we spend most time playing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement