Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

NTMK wrote: »
    i wouldnt even say its a lack of content thats the problem (apart from the lack of titan variety) there just doesnt seem to be a hook. i loved the game but when i prestiged i didnt want to play as compulsively as i did before

i would like to see more titans beyond the 3 though

maybe its down to a lack of excitement in the game every game seems to end up being a blow out and the only moments that delivered were wining 2/3v1 in a light titan

Bots also dont help imo
    Variety is the spice of life more titans please

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Damn you warframe, I just can't resist you lol. Playing it all evening again on PS4, even if I decided to play it only on pc. Bartering for mods and trading is part of the fun now. Reminds me old days of diablo 2. Looks like I'll just buy some plat and move on lol.

the one major fault I see in the ps4 is the controllers analogue sticks well the rubber on them is god awful and cheap. its a cheap fix though with covers that cost a euro and they make a massive difference. advising anyone buying a ps4 order these asap to avoid ruining controllers.

positive note loving the console and killzone is very good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In terms of turning a profit on hardware, how long will it take Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo to get into the red in terms of hardware sales Vs R&D costs, or will the burden be on software licences, another area the PC has the advantage I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo will turn a profit quicker if sales pick up.MS and Sony will probably need another 3 years and a new sku.

• Advertisement

Is it just me or is the ps4 quite noisy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

disc drive does seem to be the noisiest of the 3 but other than that its dead quite

NTMK wrote: »
    disc drive does seem to be the noisiest of the 3 but other than that its dead quite
    My ps4 is beside me whilst gaming **** me its noisy the disc drive sounds like an old 360 console

• Registered Users Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

My ps4 is beside me whilst gaming **** me its noisy the disc drive sounds like an old 360 console

Oh, that ain't right

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    In terms of turning a profit on hardware, how long will it take Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo to get into the red in terms of hardware sales Vs R&D costs, or will the burden be on software licences, another area the PC has the advantage I guess.

The PS4 is selling at a profit now, it was only a small loss at launch and since the One ditched the Kinect and kept a 400 price it's probably doing the same.
    The Wii U was the first console Nintendo made that was selling at a loss.

No way to judge R&D costs for any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Ventilation - Is the fan well ventilated? I have turned my PS4 180 in my Ikea cabinet so that the fans are facing outwards - has made a HUGE difference.

Otherwise it should be relatively quiet, the above has really changed the noise profile I was seeing, machine started off ok but say after 30 minutes gaming the fan would get progressively louder until it started to sound like the PS3 on overdrive.... Tips here around getting enough air - that I knew about - sorted this for me. You might though have a dodgy one that you should return if ventilation is not an issue...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Varik wrote: »
    The PS4 is selling at a profit now, it was only a small loss at launch and since the One ditched the Kinect and kept a 400 price it's probably doing the same.
    The Wii U was the first console Nintendo made that was selling at a loss.

No way to judge R&D costs for any of them.

And your details of this?
    I'm sorry but I'd be very very surprised of you're correct there man.
    I think Retr0 is right on this one.
    The R&D costs, as well as promotion and other costs involved in getting a new console to market are considerable, as are the costs of paying for system exclusive deals from third parties.
    If, as you say, there is no way to estimate R&D costs it still has to be assumed that the machines will take quite a bit of time before breaking even.
    The PS3 took a along time if memory serves.
    The Wii, due to its use of GC architecture, took no time at all, and the 360 was half ways between.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd be very surprised if any of the new consoles are making a profit. The ps4 might be making a profit when software is taken into account but the hardware is almost certainly making a big loss on each unit sold.

As for the 360, I think it actually never achieved profitability. Microsofts gaming division is a huge money sink hole.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And your details of this?
    I'm sorry but I'd be very very surprised of you're correct there man.
    I think Retr0 is right on this one.
    The R&D costs, as well as promotion and other costs involved in getting a new console to market are considerable, as are the costs of paying for system exclusive deals from third parties.
    If, as you say, there is no way to estimate R&D costs it still has to be assumed that the machines will take quite a bit of time before breaking even.
    The PS3 took a along time if memory serves.
    The Wii, due to its use of GC architecture, took no time at all, and the 360 was half ways between.

All that can be estimated and all that Sony, MS, or Nintendo are likely to divulge is the per unit manufacturing/distribution cost; Sony are selling at a profit per unit since May on hardware alone.

No way of knowing each platforms initial developing cost or their current promotion costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Other than The Last of us what exclusives are out for PS4 in 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It should just be noisy when you start it up for a few seconds, even with a disk in I barely notice any noise.

Other than The Last of us what exclusives are out for PS4 in 2014?

Hotline Miami 2, Driveclub, Akibas Trip, Guilty Gear and a few more, you can see them here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Second Son made mine very loud, normally its whisper quiet. There's s coin trick to deal with it sitting on an uneven surface or something. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/247zta/my_solution_to_my_noisy_ps4/

Xenji wrote: »
    It should just be noisy when you start it up for a few seconds, even with a disk in I barely notice any noise.

I've mine near me and while the short disk spin at start up is annoying it's all that you really hear, that is until you turn it off and get that electrical dying gasp from the system.

There is a weird sligh chirping sound when reading a disc other than that its the fans cooling the system

• Advertisement

There is a weird sligh chirping sound when reading a disc other than that its the fans cooling the system

Constant disc read drone plus the system wobbling maybe?

Stick a coaster or 2 under that one corner.

Varik wrote: »
    Sony are selling at a profit per unit since May on hardware alone.

Hmm, seems they are from statements they made. Kind of shows how underpowered this generation is if they are already making a profit. Can't fault Sony on that either, it's a great move by them considering the last 3 iterations of the Playstation were sold at a big loss.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hmm, seems they are from statements they made. Kind of shows how underpowered this generation is if they are already making a profit. Can't fault Sony on that either, it's a great move by them considering the last 3 iterations of the Playstation were sold at a big loss.

Going from cell to x84-64 would help, I'd assume MS are almost there as well on costs. The Wii U only started to sell at a profit recently as well, it's a first for Nintendo selling at a loss.

Microsoft are giving 360 owners a 75 Dollar discount voucher for the XB1 in the US, it is not known if it will be available in other territories as of yet.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/08/xbox-one-upgrade-360-microsoft-deal/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would not be surprised to see Sony making small profit or losing very little om each ps4. They even said back in the day that on launch they will be losing very little on each ps4 sold.

With thrown out Kinect I can see xbox one to see a profitable sales too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I think they've both come out of the gates in a position where they're not losing money on the hardware itself. The advertising and marketing budgets still have to be accounted for though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 cathyledger

I still havn got around to buying either but i think i am defo going to go for the PS4 as i have always been on xbox 360 and recently got a ps3 cheap in gamestop and i think its much better and has better gaming. \But thats just my opinion

• 5uspect wrote: »
    Second Son made mine very loud, normally its whisper quiet. There's s coin trick to deal with it sitting on an uneven surface or something. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/247zta/my_solution_to_my_noisy_ps4/

This concerns me, is it fan noise or disk drive noise?

I will be buying one at the end of the month.

Not sure why someone wouldn't be sitting it on a flat surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

For me.. it's the disk drive and it's only initially. After 10-20 seconds or so and it doesn't make a sound.

• Advertisement

The disc drive makes noise whilst reading discs maybe i can install the games?/?

The fan is loud whilst compared to xbox one or wii u

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement