Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Other than the disk read noise, the fan isn't that bad but the PS4 does give off a lot of heat. I've mine at mine side on a low filing cabinet and it a nice little heater.

The disc drive makes noise whilst reading discs maybe i can install the games?/?

The fan is loud whilst compared to xbox one or wii u

Games are only run off an the HDD.

It does let you play before everything is finished so that maybe why you're getting it for a while, when the background install is done it will only read the disk at start up and when you change disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I was wondering today. Will TLOU help to sell a good chunk of PS4s? I know its big and got a ton of Rewards, but I am sort of sceptical about it.

I could see game itself sell a lot as it is very fairly priced and Sony camp got a ton of ex 360 gamers, who never had ps3, but I dont see it to be a driving force to buy ps4 itself.

I was wondering today. Will TLOU help to sell a good chunk of PS4s? I know its big and got a ton of Rewards, but I am sort of sceptical about it.

I could see game itself sell a lot as it is very fairly priced and Sony camp got a ton of ex 360 gamers, who never had ps3, but I dont see it to be a driving force to buy ps4 itself.

It all sell consoles, 1 game or feature is all it takes to push someone over the edge and buy it. Everyone has their own tipping point.

Still a lot of praise about the game, and going by the figures released by Sony more than 50% of PS4 owners didn't have a PS3 before getting the PS4.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm sure it will help sell additional consoles, and for those who have a ps4 already or don't know what their first game buy should be it'll be a great option, but no, it's not a console selling exclusive that'll have throngs of people jumping to get - but I haven't seen anything painting it as such either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I'm sure it will help sell additional consoles, and for those who have a ps4 already or don't know what their first game buy should be it'll be a great option, but no, it's not a console selling exclusive that'll have throngs of people jumping to get - but I haven't seen anything painting it as such either.

Eurogamer Article
    "Almost 50 per cent of people who have purchased a PS4 didn't own a PS3, and that's lots of people that missed exclusive PS3 titles like The Last of Us, so it's a great way to welcome those people back to PlayStation, saying this is what you missed."

I think you're right in that it probably won't be a system seller, but it also won't be a slouch in sales numbers either.

From the number of people who have shown themselves to be more than willing to double-dip, as well as the stat Shuhei Yoshida mentioned above, I can certainly see it being worthwhile for Sony.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Otacon wrote: »
    I think you're right in that it probably won't be a system seller, but it also won't be a slouch in sales numbers either.

From the number of people who have shown themselves to be more than willing to double-dip, as well as the stat Shuhei Yoshida mentioned above, I can certainly see it being worthwhile for Sony.

No doubt, I was in no way suggesting that it would sell poorly, only that it's not a release that will have a swell of people queuing up to buy a ps4 (as, eg. the next halo game will for the xbox), if anything that eurogamer article reinforces my opinion. Will it be an added incentive to possibly get a ps4? almost certainly it will, gamers like good games shockingly enough :D

It makes perfect sense to have one of the most acclaimed games of last gen available on this gen, and as downloadable games become the norm it'll be one of those games that many many ps4 owners will download over the ps4's cycle.

No doubt, I was in no way suggesting that it would sell poorly, only that it's not a release that will have a swell of people queuing up to buy a ps4 (as, eg. the next halo game will for the xbox), if anything that eurogamer article reinforces my opinion. Will it be an added incentive to possibly get a ps4? almost certainly it will, gamers like good games shockingly enough :D

It makes perfect sense to have one of the most acclaimed games of last gen available on this gen, and as downloadable games become the norm it'll be one of those games that many many ps4 owners will download over the ps4's cycle.

Pretty much what I was thinking of it. It should sell nicely as software wise, but it wont be a big thing to actually sell PS4 themselves.

I traded in my ps3 version as I found out about PS4 version. I am getting it for sure as it is nicely priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I wouldn't have bought the PS4 recently if it wasn't on the horizon, i'd probably have waited a few more months or at least until Destiny. I didn't buy it specifically for the game but as I haven't played the PS3 version its just as big a release as pretty much any console exclusive that has been announced yet (For me).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That stat about PS4 and PS3 owners, where was it sourced?
    Was it reported initially by one news outlet and then repeated?

I have to say though, you could save some money and just buy a PS3 if you never owned one, rather than springing for a PS4, and have a massive back catalogue of games to play at cheap prices with all of that money you didn't have to spend on the PS4 in the first place!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Was it reported initially by one news outlet and then repeated?

I have to say though, you could save some money and just buy a PS3 if you never owned one, rather than springing for a PS4, and have a massive back catalogue of games to play at cheap prices with all of that money you didn't have to spend on the PS4 in the first place!

Or... You could buy PS4 and play better version of game you ACTUALLY want to play and have your future console sorted. Its like investment.
    Nothing wrong with PS3, but if Last of us is good enough reason to buy a console, then might as well get ps4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, I think it's fair to say very few people buy a console for a single game and then leave it at that - and if they are they have very specific tastes and a whole lot of money to burn! A certain title might finally be the one to persuade you to pick one up, but if you buy a PS4 or One now there's going to be years' worth of interesting titles too, alongside the ones already out or already announced. I think it's fair to say that's a given. Investment indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Yeah, I think it's fair to say very few people buy a console for a single game and then leave it at that - and if they are they have very specific tastes and a whole lot of money to burn! A certain title might finally be the one to persuade you to pick one up, but if you buy a PS4 or One now there's going to be years' worth of interesting titles too, alongside the ones already out or already announced. I think it's fair to say that's a given. Investment indeed.

I bought the ps3 for demon souls :)
    straight after I played Dark souls
    sold it before the last of us though so I'm looking forward to giving it a shot :) probably be one of the bigger games I'll buy this year

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've never owned a Sony console of any integer less than 4. Access to games and franchises that I've missed we're a part of my decision to buy a PS4.

Not a system seller but it was one of many factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Sony said it themselves

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

5uspect wrote: »
    I've never owned a Sony console of any integer less than 4. Access to games and franchises that I've missed we're a part of my decision to buy a PS4.

Not a system seller but it was one of many factors.

I'm not critical of anyone's purchase.
    Simply suggesting, to all those who say they've never owned a PS3, that now would be great time to pick one up cheap.
    Masses of great games to be had there, the Ico/SotC HD remakes for starters.
    Bayonetta is never likely to turn up on the PS4 for example.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

COYVB wrote: »
    Sony said it themselves

Therefore it is true?

My brother has a PS4(had a PS3) - has to use a different username because he can't access his old email to recover PS3 name(he's not that bothered by usernames either).
    I would imagine there are plenty of users in same boat that Sony are using to skew as their "new" adoptees.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Therefore it is true?

My brother has a PS4(had a PS3) - has to use a different username because he can't access his old email to recover PS3 name(he's not that bothered by usernames either).
    I would imagine there are plenty of users in same boat that Sony are using to skew as their "new" adoptees.

It was from surveys and not by PSN account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Simply suggesting, to all those who say they've never owned a PS3, that now would be great time to pick one up cheap.
    There are not that many bargains to be gotten with 360 and ps3 though most selling for 130 to 150 used while i effectively got a ps4 and 2 new controllers for shy of 300 and i could sell a controller as i have no need for 2.

There are not that many bargains to be gotten with 360 and ps3 though most selling for 130 to 150 used while i effectively got a ps4 and 2 new controllers for shy of 300 and i could sell a controller as i have no need for 2.

Exactly. I am still baffled how much value 360 and ps3 holds second hand. I wanted to pick up 360 cheaply as my one bricked and I still got a ton of games for it, but no way I am paying that money for it.

Funny enough I am thinking of getting wii U more often now... I dont know why though... :pac:

• Advertisement

There's still a demand, I can see both PS3 and 360 hitting 100m and if 1 of them is still supported to the degree the PS1/2 was I wouldn't be surprised if it beat the PS1 at least in over all numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Exactly. I am still baffled how much value 360 and ps3 holds second hand. I wanted to pick up 360 cheaply as my one bricked and I still got a ton of games for it, but no way I am paying that money for it.

Funny enough I am thinking of getting wii U more often now... I dont know why though... :pac:

ps3 is 269 new in my local gamestop with one game free. its mad money when you could have a next gen console for 130 quid more.

that being said, I'm still finding I'm playing more on my 360 at the moment as theres not a huge amount out on one that really has me interested at the moment.

It might be because it's home to some of the best games available right now.
    I'd watch for good deals though, keep an eye on the Nintendo forum for those.
    The recent deal in Gamestop seems to have been the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

In 2-3 years a new PS3 or XBO will cost under a ton, most likely. I'd advise anyone who fancies a long term investment to pick up a couple of each over a year or so. Keep one put away for yourself in case your current system dies, and hold onto the other, unopened, to sell in 20 years to a collector :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

In 2-3 years a new PS3 or XBO will cost under a ton, most likely. I'd advise anyone who fancies a long term investment to pick up a couple of each over a year or so. Keep one put away for yourself in case your current system dies, and hold onto the other, unopened, to sell in 20 years to a collector :P

I got a 12GB PS3 for €80 when Tesco were selling off a lot of their out of date electronics at christmas. They put them back up to €200 after that for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,661 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think you meant 360. I know PS4 is selling more than XBO at the minute but I don't think it's gotten that bad for them yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Id be surprised if there isnt a price drop on the 360 and the ps3 straight after christmas. they wouldnt do it beforehand to encourage people to adopt the new systems. remember the ps2 at the end of its lifestyle? they were cheap as chips!

It might be because it's home to some of the best games available right now.
    I'd watch for good deals though, keep an eye on the Nintendo forum for those.
    The recent deal in Gamestop seems to have been the best.

I dont know about the best, but what I see that Wii U has over other consoles - Local multiplayer.

Went in to gamestop today and all they had were 280eu Lego bundles. Too steep for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

yeah if you skip a console generation and don't mind not having cutting edge graphics you should really get the console + games on the cheap and enjoy the hell out of it. A wii/ps3 combination would heaven for me if i hadn't already played through that generations. wish i hadn't so i could experience them all again for the first time!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭samantha fortune

I think i choose ps4 over xbox one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement