Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    That's ironic considering the X1 is technically inferior to the PS4 in every way.

Your post is nonsense, though. There are great games out for the Wii U and there will be more over the years from Nintendo.

I think thats the point FAILSAFE was making that superior hardware does not equate to superior console or superior games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I will get an Xbox One hopefully at some point down the line - there has to be a "Wow I need that game" for me to buy it, similar to PS3 and MGS IV....

(yes, and it was a let down!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

miju wrote: »
    Know your being helpful dude but I'm good on the eSports scene and ALL of the games played particularly IeSF ones ;)

Reason I asked is because I have the figures sitting in an annual report email so I know the figures I was just bating you out LOL point I was making though that XB1 prize money isn't a laughable amount (though it is by comparison to crowd funded comps like Dota at it's 10.6 mill pool).

Ha, well I'm sort of the same m8. I've played competitive since the early days of cs (2002) and followed many of the other big games over that 12 year span.

My problem with cod on the consoles isn't it's size, it's the actual game. It's built for the the average Joe public hero, like I said balanced from the bottom up. Whereas games like cs and Lol are balanced for the highest level of play.

Csgo for example peaks at about 110k current users on steam daily, small time compared to CoD.. but it's tournaments (which occur far more frequently than any of the console games) regularly attract 75-200k viewers depending on the tournament importance. No other game can rival that player-viewer ratio.

Are there any other big games for competitive console gaming and are any of them actually global or is it all American based ? I admit I'm slightly ignorant of the console scene really.

Had to look up what IeSF was lol, had a lol at their world championships for 2013, it's like an amateur tournament, pretty much had none of the top players from any of the countries in it for lol or sc2 I think. Do they do stats and **** ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but this is going by an interview with MS VP Phil Harrison in edge and number's released by Sony themselves.

Sony have said they've sold 100m PS3, PS4, and Vita but didn't go into more than that, and Phil in an interview quoted the PS4 and One as 9m and 5m+ respectively.

Re console sales both Sony and MS seems to be at pains to avoid releasing a simple accurate figure regarding how many next gens have been sold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,367 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Re console sales both Sony and MS seems to be at pains to avoid releasing a simple accurate figure regarding how many next gens have been sold.

Par for the course for these two really. Sony in particular are trying to hide the poor performance of the Vita outside of Japan.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Par for the course for these two really. Sony in particular are trying to hide the poor performance of the Vita outside of Japan.

I can kind of understand it due to share prices and stock markets etc but still annoying as fook

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

the vita memory cards are annoying as hell so expensive and brutal storage on them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would not expect bug sales numbers for anyone right now. It's summer, with very few games coming out and people in general spending money on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Have Sony not released the numbers at every few milestones so far? MS hasn't and the few numbers that has been mentioned were shipped numbers rather than sold to customer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I would not expect bug sales numbers for anyone right now. It's summer, with very few games coming out and people in general spending money on holidays.

My framerate and resolution holiday will be vastly superior to yours...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Have Sony not released the numbers at every few milestones so far? MS hasn't and the few numbers that has been mentioned were shipped numbers rather than sold to customer.

Shipped is all either of them can accurately use, at this stage when sales are steady enough stores aren't going to be ordering vast amounts of either if they can't sell them.

If they said 5m in the first month shipped then that's no indication of consumer sales but at this stage the numbers aren't far off, as I said stores at this stage have months of sales to judge demand for their orders.

RasTa wrote: »

Sony didn't announce anything specific for PS4, MS stated those numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Varik wrote: »
    Sony didn't announce anything specific for PS4, MS stated those numbers.

Yeah 7 million was the last figure in April

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/04/17/sony-announces-7-million-ps4-sales-microsoft-still-silent-on-xbox-one/

• the vita memory cards are annoying as hell so expensive and brutal storage on them

Picked up the PS4 this morning. As with Dark Knight (Basher :p), I will provide some feedback considering I have both consoles now.

First thing noticed straight away the menus are very slick, no latency in moving between the screens. Just running the first sytem update as we speak. Then will sign into PSN and pick up a few of the PS+ titles and get cracking on my opinion piece.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,367 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS4 seems to be bombing in Japan with figures behind the WiiU. Home consoles just seem to be dead in that country. I'm sure there'll be a few titles released on the system in about a years time that will appeal to the japanese users but you can bet they'll get a Vita port 6 months later. Handhelds are still the big systems there and mobile is taking a big chunk out of that market.

PS4 seems to be bombing in Japan with figures behind the WiiU. Home consoles just seem to be dead in that country. I'm sure there'll be a few titles released on the system in about a years time that will appeal to the japanese users but you can bet they'll get a Vita port 6 months later. Handhelds are still the big systems there and mobile is taking a big chunk out of that market.

I dont know if Japan is any indication anymore when it comes to home consoles or consoles and gaming in general.
    Its a country where they dont buy hardware, just because its new, but they will buy a brand new spanking console just for one game.

Its a god damn country, which still plays in Arcades mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Its a god damn country, which still plays in Arcades mostly.

Even the arcade scene over there is suffering...it's like a bit of a culture shift or something going on. I think handhelds are the big thing there now, & everything left seems to be dying a death.

Handhelds just suit their culture. Once you get a job you are expected to drop childish stuff like videogames and live to work. Handhelds suit the age group that games since they take up a hell of a lot less room in tiny Japanese houses and appartments and the commuter culture. Console games are only really aimed at the hardcore otaku nerds which is why many have some pretty disturbing themes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gaming in Japan is pretty much in crisis. While there's still a notable amount of great games emerging from development houses there - your Platinums, From, Monolith Soft, some of the smaller companies - there's an incredible amount of crap selling bucketloads, and a handful of genres and game types have come to dominate, leading to something of a stagnation. Even a lot of the more experimental titles or ambitious / successful ones are only so within the relatively strict confines of their chosen genre or game type (visual novels, the seemingly ubiquitous Monster Hunter clones). Even their indie scene is nowhere near as varied and vibrant as the Western one has become. Japanese gaming has only gotten more insular, despite the often farcical efforts of developers and publishers to change that. This is all a bit generalised as there are of course exceptions, even big ones like Nintendo. But more and more Japan is unto itself, and much more splintered from the West in terms of both the software and hardware that have come to dominate the market than would have been the case back in the PS2 days. No surprise that Japan has been treated as something of an afterthought with the PS4, let alone Microsoft.

As for arcades? They remain little more than a niche, and even that potentially lucrative niche is proving difficult to sustain as game houses both small and large shut down.

The Japanese indie scene is going to take off in a big way soon. I predict we will see a huge wave of japanese indie titles being released in the next two years. The indie gaming scene was pretty much started by Japan with the success of Cave Story and stuff like La Mulana. However Japanese indie developers hadn't really realised that there was a market for indie games (la mulana and cave story for example were freeware) due to how insular the community there is. They have a massive Doujin (basically homemade games) which really isn't selling itself. There were two big indie expos held in Japan (organised by a Westerner) which really opened their eyes to the western indie scene. Most of the developers there were surprised at how many Western journalists and some were even surprised by the fact that people were interested in their games at all. Hopefully that's opened the japanese indie development scene's eyes a bit.

I think gaming in Japan isn't really in crisis as much as some doom mongering journalists make out. It's just in transition from home consoles to handhelds and mobile. Sure a lot of games are only focusing on set genres but that's the same in the west as well. An awful lot of licensed crap is selling well but that's always been the way in Japan. The industry there just needs to stabilise but it's heading in a very different direction to the Western market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

When we're talking about Doujin releases though, how many of them are visual novels or shmups or other very familiar genres? On top of that, how many adopt a fairly generic anime artstyle and character types? A lot of them are fun or interesting, and even innovate or succeed within these limitations. But I think the Japanese games that are truly experimenting are fairly thin on the ground - not non-existent (take a lot of the more abstract art you find in homemade shumps) but certainly rare. I really hope the scene gets more ambitious, and the likes of Rice Digital take off here to get these games to a wider audience. But when I look at Western indie releases I see a lot more formal, gameplay and narrative experimentation - making games that are significantly different to what has come before. I really hope we start seeing more games like that coming out of Japan.

Again, it's just something of a sense of stagnation at the moment - it could change over time, as gaming is anything but static. But I think its going to take some seriously impressive titles to help Japanese game makers break out of their niches both at home and here in the West. On the plus side, I'd say the low development costs of the dominant handheld and mobile markets could help that - certainly the 3DS and Vita host more interesting Japanese titles than either current or previous gen consoles, even if few offer fundamentally different experiences. Well, barring nightmarish mutant Alpaca simulators ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'll be really interested to see how both Xbox One and PS4 will perform when they are released in China.

What games will prove popular, how well the consoles will sell, game pricing, etc.

I'll be really interested to see how both Xbox One and PS4 will perform when they are released in China.

What games will prove popular, how well the consoles will sell, game pricing, etc.

Both will do ****. Thats about it.

When we're talking about Doujin releases though, how many of them are visual novels or shmups or other very familiar genres? On top of that, how many adopt a fairly generic anime artstyle and character types? A lot of them are fun or interesting, and even innovate or succeed within these limitations. But I think the Japanese games that are truly experimenting are fairly thin on the ground - not non-existent (take a lot of the more abstract art you find in homemade shumps) but certainly rare. I really hope the scene gets more ambitious, and the likes of Rice Digital take off here to get these games to a wider audience. But when I look at Western indie releases I see a lot more formal, gameplay and narrative experimentation - making games that are significantly different to what has come before. I really hope we start seeing more games like that coming out of Japan.

Again, it's just something of a sense of stagnation at the moment - it could change over time, as gaming is anything but static. But I think its going to take some seriously impressive titles to help Japanese game makers break out of their niches both at home and here in the West. On the plus side, I'd say the low development costs of the dominant handheld and mobile markets could help that - certainly the 3DS and Vita host more interesting Japanese titles than either current or previous gen consoles, even if few offer fundamentally different experiences. Well, barring nightmarish mutant Alpaca simulators ;)

Well a lot of japanese doujin stuff is pretty much the same level you'd find at a game jam since a lot of it is just developers throwing together weird stuff in a short time for fun. Sure an Alpaca dating sim hasn't much value but it's on the same level as the dwarf fortress clone except with nuns that I saw a developer create at the last game jam I was at. There's a huge amount of ambitious games created by doujin developers, it's just hard for western media to cover them due to the nature of doujin distribution. Most of these games are sold at stalls at small doujin conventions and you only get Kotaku and the likes covering the weirder ones that break out in popularity. There's plenty of great stuff along the lines of Yume Nikki or Corpse Party.

As for visual novels, there's lots of them that are just takes on the usual harem scenario but then there's also some excellent sound novels like Higurashi, Clannad, Umineko and Stein's;Gate that put to same the narratives of other videogames. You can't just judge japanese doujin output based on the weirder crappy titles and ignore the great stuff.

I'm hoping the good stuff gets more exposure in the west and it seems to be appearing here now with the likes of Cherry Tree Comedy Club and Fortune Summoners on steam and the recent release of Gunhound EX. Higurashi is also finally coming to steam with a new translation rather than the machine translated pish that manga gamer have been selling from their site. I'm hoping that the prequels to one of your own favourites gets a steam release. Never7, Ever 17 and Remember 11 are a sort of spiritual prequel to 999 and Virtue's Last Reward and the japanese consider those two games pale imitations of that trilogy games.

You can't just judge japanese doujin output based on the weirder crappy titles and ignore the great stuff.

I'm not ignoring them - as I said there are gems, even if they're always going to be niche titles :) I simply tend to be a bit disappointed by the rather limited forms of expression prevalent in the scene. There's some great visual / sound novels out there, some I've played and loved. But the genre by its very nature and even at its best tends to be 'overwritten' as opposed to telling a story in a way that embraces the varied mechanics and technology of gaming in 2014. Hours upon hours of text and dialogue has its limits, especially when - let's be perfectly honest here - few offer the literary depths of an actual novel ;) And almost all the games you mentioned, with one or two exceptions, all feature a generic anime or moe artstyle, which is disappointing when you see the wide range of unique looks of many modern indie games. Many worthwhile games have used similar graphical styles, and sometimes in a very effective way. And of course it 'sells' too. But it would be great to see more Japanese games released that break away from and resist the tropes that are all too common within doujinsoft.

Not that there aren't Western equivalents too, given a handful of genres that tend to dominate and over-utlisation of graphical styles (bland pixel art, for example, in so many independent titles). But if there are Japanese titles out there on the same sort of experimental level as games like Papers, Please or Jazzpunk or Kentucky Route Zero, there's either very few of them or it's very difficult indeed to hear about 'em.

(notices thread is wildly off-topic) But yes, I definitely think some fresh perspectives are needed for indie Japanese developers to make some sort of impact on the PS4 and Xbox One!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

(notices thread is wildly off-topic) But yes, I definitely think some fresh perspectives are needed for indie Japanese developers to make some sort of impact on the PS4 and Xbox One!

My only concern is if they'll run in 1080 at 60fps...

Honestly, I wouldn't care at all for any of that doujin stuff but it's been interesting to read about it here and definitely a nice break from the norm.

My only concern is if they'll run in 1080 at 60fps...

Honestly, I wouldn't care at all for any of that doujin stuff but it's been interesting to read about it here and definitely a nice break from the norm.

Well it's more us frustrated that despite having a massive home brew scene and having pretty much kicked off the indie movement that Japan are so far behind the West's indie scene. It would be nice to see them get more commercial like the west. The Japanese games are sorely missed in the triple A arena so it would be nice to get that back through the indie scene.

One big barrier is the Japanese aversion to kick starter , they're culture sees it as begging. Hopefully that changes now with the likes of Inafune going through kick starter. Perhaps we'll see more indie developers headed up by Japanese legends like igarashi with his new indie development team. Capcom and konami have totally lost all their talent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hopefully when xbox one launches there some of the Japanese developers get on board with ID@Xbox program.

Japan seems to be / has been in a state of change in many areas of media / entertainment in recent times.

It rarely comes up and to be honest it's something I haven't followed in a long time, but what is the state of gaming and stuff coming out of South Korea these days??????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement