Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a few Japanese shmups announced for the one. It's strange that the 360 was the shmup machine of choice and now the one looks like it might be. Apparently it's to do with Sony not liking games that have a vertical orientation although I'm not sure of the truth behind that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't think there have been any shmups announced for the One (edit: just googled there and I am wrong - there were three announced last month :)), but there were notably a trio of exclusive 'text adventures' announced for it. They'd be pretty niche titles even on a very popular system, so I'd be surprised if they had any major effect on the console's fortunes there. And given that they're text heavy games in a niche genre, I'd be surprised (and honestly quite pleased, since it would be a nice but probably not in any way financially lucrative gesture :pac:) if they made it over here in translated form.

I'll be curious to see what console the likes of Cave move to. The lower costs of the 360 and its DVDs meant they could sustain their releases on the console despite with must have been a rather frighteningly small domestic market. Since they did finally release one or two games for PS3 over the last year, I'll be curious to see if they opt to focus on one or the other this time around - if indeed they're even still in the bullet hell business when the decision has to be made, which sadly seems far from a given.

Frankly, while its great to see these small, cult games supported on next gen consoles, I don't think they'll encourage anything more than a small boost in sales. What the One and PS4 - and indeed Wii U - need is a major title to win over Japanese gamers. Like a big Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest sequel. Even that might not do the job, but it certainly would lead to many, many times the hardware sales of a text adventure of shmup. Probably a big risk for the publishers though, given how lucrative and safe the handheld market is.

As an aside, really looking forward to Astebreed on PS4 since I don't have a PC that would run it. Sounds fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

WiiU, Cave Shmups, want Tate mode, just turn the damn Gamepad around.... so obvious, yet.... not to be :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Finally took the plunge and bought a PS4.

$345 (AUD) brand new. What a bargain! Now what game to get first...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The Last of Us is due august 1st if you have not played that.

Strider is one of the PS+ games this month,old school but i really like it

Trials Fusion is €20 on PSN as well if your into that sort of thing

Free2Play there is Warframe and Warthunder,probably the pick of the f2p games. Ill also mention BlackLight Retribution,while i like the game the servers/matchmaking are pants. Hopefully it will improve as it literally just came out of Beta last week.

For me most of the games that i want to play are coming out over the next 3-6 months,The Last of Us,Destiny(Maybe)and Diablo 3.

Witcher 3 + Planetside 2 are on my radar but just no confirmed dates yet afaik,neither this year though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

EoinHef wrote: »
    The Last of Us is due august 1st if you have not played that.

Strider is one of the PS+ games this month,old school but i really like it

Trials Fusion is €20 on PSN as well if your into that sort of thing

Free2Play there is Warframe and Warthunder,probably the pick of the f2p games. Ill also mention BlackLight Retribution,while i like the game the servers/matchmaking are pants. Hopefully it will improve as it literally just came out of Beta last week.

For me most of the games that i want to play are coming out over the next 3-6 months,The Last of Us,Destiny(Maybe)and Diablo 3.

Witcher 3 + Planetside 2 are on my radar but just no confirmed dates yet afaik,neither this year though

Yeh completed Last of Us on PS3. That was digital so will probably buy the hard copy and play again on PS4. Got it as I'll be probably getting Destiny and couldn't pass up on the bargain. Probably won't see it that price for quite a long time.

Got infamous second son and will probably give that war thunder a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

irishmover wrote: »
    Yeh completed Last of Us on PS3. That was digital so will probably buy the hard copy and play again on PS4. Got it as I'll be probably getting Destiny and couldn't pass up on the bargain. Probably won't see it that price for quite a long time.

Got infamous second son and will probably give that war thunder a try.

Battlefield 4 is a good game, assassins creed black flag (more of an adventure pirate game with AC gameplay), infamous second son, watchdogs, outlast and resogun are the games i have and they're all very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PS4 seems to be bombing in Japan with figures behind the WiiU. Home consoles just seem to be dead in that country. I'm sure there'll be a few titles released on the system in about a years time that will appeal to the japanese users but you can bet they'll get a Vita port 6 months later. Handhelds are still the big systems there and mobile is taking a big chunk out of that market.

it's having a similar start to the ps3 in japan which recently hit 10m units sold. It's selling about the same as the wii u on a weekly basis but like the ps3 expect the sales to take off when the software comes out.

It will sell a respectable 8-10 million there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Battlefield 4 is a good game, assassins creed black flag (more of an adventure pirate game with AC gameplay), infamous second son, watchdogs, outlast and resogun are the games i have and they're all very good.
    ??? Bf4 is one of worst games i have played its just full of problems

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Battlefield seems ok now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Microsoft announced 5000+ job losses, hardly the actions of a company flush in money that was mentioned on here?

If the argument is good enough for Sony, the Microsoft lads need to take this on board too.....

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/microsoft-to-confirm-job-cuts-this-week-report-says/0135376

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

??? Bf4 is one of worst games i have played its just full of problems

I was playing at the weekend, it still has some mad bugs, (no sound for 30 seconds at the start of the match, the occasional isnta-death, etc) but the core gameplay seemed a lot better to me anyway, and I'm pretty terrible at it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

NORTH1 wrote: »
    Microsoft announced 5000+ job losses, hardly the actions of a company flush in money that was mentioned on here?

If the argument is good enough for Sony, the Microsoft lads need to take this on board too.....

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/microsoft-to-confirm-job-cuts-this-week-report-says/0135376

They are killing off Nokia which was the single benefit Windows phone had over its rivals. The MS support for WP has steadily been in decline with Nokia being at the forefront of development for it, with some fantastic and innovative native apps and the best build quality in terms of their Lumia phones. MS cant even get the Xbox app development right for WP with a lot of the Xbox apps being de-listed from the store. A lot of unhappy people on WPcentral with this news. The whole acquisition has been an exercise in mass IP stripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

_Puma_ wrote: »
    They are killing off Nokia which was the single benefit Windows phone had over its rivals. The MS support for WP has steadily been in decline with Nokia being at the forefront of development for it, with some fantastic and innovative native apps and the best build quality in terms of their Lumia phones. MS cant even get the Xbox app development right for WP with a lot of the Xbox apps being de-listed from the store. A lot of unhappy people on WPcentral with this news. The whole acquisition has been an exercise in mass IP stripping.

I have a lumia wp work phone. It's connection to the office is good, but it's clunky and not very user friendly at all imo, compared to my own Android phone.

I have a lumia wp work phone. It's connection to the office is good, but it's clunky and not very user friendly at all imo, compared to my own Android phone.

I know we are going a bit off thread here but I agree with the user friendly part, takes a while for me to learn everything there is to it with the OS being a bit clunky but it has been steadily improved. The thing is though, Nokia have been consistently improving the WP ecosystem with most of their native apps being far better than the MS native apps, and MS bloody built the OS.

A lot of the Xbox apps are also being pulled by MS on the WP store

The Lumias are probably one of the best phones out there in terms of build quality and features and this is coming from someone who has owned an iPhone and a galaxy. Nokia have been the single greatest asset to WP in terms of their hardware and software and now MS are pulling the plug on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Grayditch wrote: »
    Battlefield seems ok now.

Game still has 120ms of in built lag in it reduced from 250ms of in built lag. The game is most definitely still broken. Granted it's alot better these days but considering the launch version was nothing more than a glorified Alpha thats not saying alot.

Yes I have a **** bucket LOL

Absolutely whats good for the goose :) But it doesnt seem to be that much of an issue to be honest as the bulk of the job losses are directly related to the $7.2 billion purchase of Nokia and the eradication of duplicate jobs.

The only relevant bit of the article is in relation to "that “some” of the cuts will come from Xbox’s global marketing team, mentioning Microsoft’s European HQ in Reading specifically" which then goes on to mention those jobs will be relocating.

I wouldn't be worried and not the same as Sony issues TBH

The Lumias are probably one of the best phones out there in terms of build quality and features and this is coming from someone who has owned an iPhone

I would tend to agree, camera build quality , features, browser and OS are all rock solid but I've gone back to iPhone recently and the simple reason is that there very few first party apps and even fewer decent third party apps on the MS store for windows phones

miju wrote: »
    I would tend to agree, camera build quality , features, browser and OS are all rock solid but I've gone back to iPhone recently and the simple reason is that there very few first party apps and even fewer decent third party apps on the MS store for windows phones[/b]

Nokia were doing some fantastic work with their native WP apps. The HERE series, mixradio are fantastic and possibly better than their competition(Google maps, Instagram, Spotify etc..) There are a few Native 3rd party apps that are actually better than their Android or IoS equivalent eg)6Snap, baconit etc.. But they are very few and far between. The Boards WP app is basically a wrapper for the Mobile site and there isn't an official one from Distilled media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

A lot of the Xbox apps are also being pulled by MS on the WP store

I thought there are only 2 official apps for Xbox on the Microsoft app store.

They both work really great.

Xbox 360 SmartGlass

Xbox One SmartGlass

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

One of the biggest annoyances I have with WP8 (and there are quite a few, although the OS itself is rock solid) is that in order to use smartglass I have to use my phone's wp8 account, but as I like to keep my gaming account separate from any personal info (wp8 syncs all contacts, messages, everything to the account tied to the phone) I won't be doing that so can't use smartglass.

• Advertisement

I thought there are only 2 official apps for Xbox on the Microsoft app store.

They both work really great.

Xbox 360 SmartGlass

Xbox One SmartGlass

MS published games under the Xbox brand that are brought to WP. It is basically Developers that build Xbox games that are published by Microsoft being brought to WP being funded by Microsoft as a publisher in adherence to their Development standards for WP. Their native App Development has been virtually non existent with Nokia taking up the slack.

Everyone I know who has the Lumia uses the Nokia Camera app rather than the Built in OS app. I cant even remember when there has been an update to the built in camera app.

I've never used Smartglass so I've no idea how it performs as a native WP app.

One of the biggest annoyances I have with WP8 (and there are quite a few, although the OS itself is rock solid) is that in order to use smartglass I have to use my phone's wp8 account, but as I like to keep my gaming account separate from any personal info (wp8 syncs all contacts, messages, everything to the account tied to the phone) I won't be doing that so can't use smartglass.

You dont have to do that anymore because I know myself I've logged in and out of smartglass on WP8 multiple times between myself and herselfs GTs

I've never used Smartglass so I've no idea how it performs as a native WP app.

Heres the rub it performs badly and by that I mean alot of the Smartglass game features will not work on WP8 and only work on Android and iPhones.

It's something that has boggled me since I got the phone how it doesnt fully work on their own native platform but works fully on other platforms.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

You dont have to do that anymore because I know myself I've logged in and out of smartglass on WP8 multiple times between myself and herselfs GTs

Oh yeah? That must be recent as I tried last month again but it was the same setup. You using X1 smartglass or 360? gonna dl it now, if it works then brilliant!

EDIT: can't find an option to manually enter xbox a/c into smartglass 360 and app hasn't been updated since april last year so the problem remains in the 360 version at least.

Heres the rub it performs badly and by that I mean alot of the Smartglass game features will not work on WP8 and only work on Android and iPhones.

It's something that has boggled me since I got the phone how it doesnt fully work on their own native platform but works fully on other platforms.

They should have given it to Nokia :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Oh yeah? That must be recent as I tried last month again but it was the same setup. You using X1 smartglass or 360? gonna dl it now, if it works then brilliant!

EDIT: can't find an option to manually enter xbox a/c into smartglass 360 and app hasn't been updated since april last year so the problem remains in the 360 version at least.

Not sure about the 360 version , but for Xbox One version on my PC you can log in/out in settings/account and there log in with gamer tag, I'm sure the windows phone version is the same as they are the same app.

calex71 wrote: »
    Not sure about the 360 version , but for Xbox One version on my PC you can log in/out in settings/account and there log in with gamer tag, I'm sure the windows phone version is the same as they are the same app.

I'm sure about the 360 version anyway, can't be done, oh well.

Would be interesting to learn if the X1 version for wp8 suffers the same unfortunate hobbling.

I've both theres actually two seperate smartglass apps one for the 360 and another for the One (IIRC cos I unstalled the 360 one at XB1 launch)

But basically to sign is as a different user for smart glass, go to your user accounts in the control panel and change it from a live account to a local account (thus making it a local machine account not live) and then make it live again using the email of your choice.

They should have given it to Nokia :)

100% agree and there was alot of talk at the time that Nokia were going to spearhead WP8 app development but nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, anyone who always sow me as a fanboy of Sony/PC and a huge Nintendo Hater should shut up for ever.

DSC_0263_zpsigdanbfk.jpg

My free game is pikmin 3.

Xbox one still sucks :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement