Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• discussing would be entertaining. this thread is poison filled with silly pointscoring.

have i mentioned i have nothing to play on ps4 im getting bored really quickly

Lol impatient basher, 1st of August for TLOU remaster multiplayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

miju wrote: »
    Jesus thats woeful bad

See I would look at it differently. The average Li-ion battery lasts what 2 years at most give or take. So within two years your going to have to replace a whole controller for €60 odd (or just play permanently wired) where as Xbox it's just €30 (assuming you don't have rechargable AA's laying about the place which cost like €10 in Tesco with a charger).

Me thinks it might be Sony looking for you to spend more money rather than MS and maybe those controllers using batteries don't sound as bad now ;)

My PS3 controllers from 2009 are still in perfect condition.

I think you're believing what you want to believe and hoping by doing this it somehow becomes fact.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

We are talking about 2 different things.

My point of the PS4 having a quite period of AA and AAA console exclusives between September and February has nothing to do with multiplatform games :confused:

Fair enough if we are, but that's quite a bit more specific than saying "the PS4 is due a very quiet period after The Last of Us until 2015", which is the comment of yours I have been replying to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

RasTa wrote: »
    So you agree with me then? Did you have a PS3? My pads are still going strong after 2 years , the play and charge from the 360 didn't hold a charge after about a year.

should have packed it in? yes it was stupid they didnt

i owned a ps3 for a couple of months but have a decent amount of time on it due to friends found them ok for battery but we did have a few that we're done/needed constant cable

P&C kits were hit and miss some were done after 6 months others are still working 5 years later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I have a feeling that the Wii-u is due their best ever US month.

• Advertisement

• Can somebody list the actual ps4 titles this year that are exclusives. I only bought the console last week. I haven't played anything on it yet I'm not at home for the week so have yet to test and give my opinions on the ps4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    My PS3 controllers from 2009 are still in perfect condition.

I think you're believing what you want to believe and hoping by doing this it somehow becomes fact.

Nah I'm simply going by industry standards on Li-ion batteries think it could be other way around really

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Can somebody list the actual ps4 titles this year that are exclusives. I only bought the console last week. I haven't played anything on it yet I'm not at home for the week so have yet to test and give my opinions on the ps4.

http://psgamer.co.uk/features/451/the-40-ps4-exclusives-that-are-still-to-come-in-2014/

Nah I'm simply going by industry standards on Li-ion batteries think it could be other way around really

Care to cite a source confirming that that is the average?

My phones, controllers and tablet have all lasted well beyond 2 years

Can i just say that games like the screen grab below shouldnt really be included as a PS4 exclusive (even if it is) because lets face it , looks pure garbage:

N++-large-300x130.jpg

The same way this game shouldnt be considered an exclusive for the XB1 which also looks complete garbage

maxresdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

RasTa wrote: »
    I have a feeling that the Wii-u is due their best ever US month.

I am pretty sure this/last month for Wii U should have been great. Mariokart 8 should have sold a good lash of Wii Us.

Funny enough, I think now that Wii U will steadily and nicely just sell consoles at its own phase. It will never going to be as big as PS4/xbox one, but it will be all right.

Even more controversial opinion. The Wii Us are actually bought more by hardcore gamers and gamers in general then casuals or bought for kids.

I went to my friend, who is not gamer at all to borrow 2 wii controllers. They were not used in years and were not even near TV. Those 2 poor controllers were in a "all sort of crap drawer". Then we had a small conversation:

"Oh, did you buy Wii?"
    "Nah, I got myself Wii U"
    "The hell is that?"
    "Well, its the newest Nintendo console, like Wii 2 or something"
    "Meh, dont care. Play away with controllers as long as you want."

Care to cite a source confirming that that is the average?

My phones, controllers and tablet have all lasted well beyond 2 years

400 - 1200 power cycles with the average being 600 cycles do you really need a link ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

400 - 1200 power cycles with the average being 600 cycles do you really need a link ?????

And a signed affidavit as well.

400 - 1200 power cycles do you really need a link ?????

Well yeah, I've honestly never heard of batteries lasting two years and that's it, gone, especially considering everything I've owned with a lithium ion battery has lasted much longer than that. Sure the battery life decreases over time, but rarely in my experience does it get unusable after two years.

So yeah, just I'd be curious in an industry source that confirms that they only have a 2 year life span.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

NTMK wrote: »
    they should have bundled the kit with the pack in controller but on the other hand controller with P&C costs the same as a ps4 controller and when the battery does die 2-3 years down the line id rather only spend the £15-20 the kit costs than the £45 the controller does

Inaccessible batteries are stupid on something thats supposed to last a long time

25 euro for a usb cable and 2 rechargeable batteries is a rip off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

What AAA exclusives are coming to Xbox this year ?

It's not like the either console really needs them over the Christmas period as no doubt the best games will be multiplatform anyway.... while 2015 looks like Sony will have a far stronger line-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Well yeah, I've honestly never heard of batteries lasting two years and that's it, gone, especially considering everything I've owned with a lithium ion battery has lasted much longer than that. Sure the battery life decreases over time, but rarely in my experience does it get unusable after two years.

So yeah, just I'd be curious in an industry source that confirms that they only have a 2 year life span.

After a year of daily recharges most lithium ion batteries will be at around 80% capacity. After that they just get worse. So if you only recharge it every 2 days you can expect 2 years+ from it before it reaches 80% capacity. Its not gone but it decays to the point of being near useless for purpose. Dont have the sources on hand as it was a year ago I did work in the area.

on topic http://www.joystiq.com/2014/07/15/house-sony-to-welcome-back-wii-owners-with-ps4-remakes/
    Doesnt really make me want to rush out and get a PS4. Seems like an easy way to fill in the gaps. Would prefer to get a cheap PS3 and play the games until the PS4 has a price drop. Former Wii only owners probably wouldnt be spending 400 on a new console without nintendo games either.

After a year of daily recharges most lithium ion batteries will be at around 80% capacity. After that they just get worse. So if you only recharge it every 2 days you can expect 2 years+ from it before it reaches 80% capacity. Its not gone but it decays to the point of being near useless for purpose. Dont have the sources on hand as it was a year ago I did work in the area.

on topic http://www.joystiq.com/2014/07/15/house-sony-to-welcome-back-wii-owners-with-ps4-remakes/
    Doesnt really make me want to rush out and get a PS4. Seems like an easy way to fill in the gaps. Would prefer to get a cheap PS3 and play the games until the PS4 has a price drop. Former Wii only owners probably wouldnt be spending 400 on a new console without nintendo games either.
    I understand their efficiency decreases, and I was just reading up on an article to understand their lifespan because his claim that they last 2 years at the most is ridiculous, and so far from what I've read is completely unfounded on average.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Can i just say that games like the screen grab below shouldnt really be included as a PS4 exclusive (even if it is) because lets face it , looks pure garbage:

N++-large-300x130.jpg

N++ is a sequel to an acclaimed, best-selling title that has received high praise for its simple, minimalistic art and game design. Not really sure why it should be discounted, especially on the basis of a tiny 300x130 screenshot. The small independent titles on both consoles to me are even more valuable than the inevitable AAA titles, because they're the ones that will ensure a varied, exciting range alongside the increasingly conservative, risk-averse big-budget ones. The latter have their place, and no doubt there'll be some good and even great ones this generation. But both Sony and Microsoft's aggressive attempts to woo independent developers and give them a place for their games is one of the key selling factors of the new console generation, at least for me. A new console generation is more than better tech - it's about refining policies and fresh perspectives, and the increased prominence being given to independent titles is one of the most encouraging moves in this gen so far. Especially since the PS3 and 360 era basically saw everyone making it up as they went along in terms of policies and the emergence of digital marketplaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Looks crap. Not even any guns in it. 2D, lol. Any K/D leaderboards on it? Nah didn't think so.

But an all seriousness, when it comes to a clever game with good gameplay, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Well you can't talk about sales figures because they're misleading, you can't talk about console grunt because it's the games that matter at the end of the day and you can't talk about non AA/AAA games because only a specific subset of games actually matter...but once you've pigeon-holed yourself into that criteria you're good to go in this thread, until you run into something else that's also not applicable for some arbitrary reason.

/happy helping of hyperbole and jest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pfft, said like a typical Nintendo fanboy. Always trying rise above it all with their small hands and accentuated unibrows…

I just want everyone to just get along!
    Instead of getting worked up about the battery life in their controllers!

N+ I played on the DS and loved it, it'd actually be a good reason to buy any console that hosts its sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Ah here, I thought we had gone past the age of instantly dismissing games based on their graphics :(:(

Just on the controller debate, the PS4 controller battery length is a joke and Sony should be getting more flak for it in my opinion considering the price of it. Regarding the batteries dying out over time, that may be true, but I have never heard of that happening to any of my mates controllers. I still have my original PS3 controller (which I got a couple of months after the PS3 released) and the battery is in perfect nick so I wouldn't consider it a factor in deciding which console to get.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't think anyone was seriously dissing N++ to be honest, but it is a good test case for gameplay vs graphics.
    And it's on the PS4 but you could probably get it running on a C64!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Benzino wrote: »
    Ah here, I thought we had gone past the age of instantly dismissing games based on their graphics :(:(

Just on the controller debate, the PS4 controller battery length is a joke and Sony should be getting more flak for it in my opinion considering the price of it. Regarding the batteries dying out over time, that may be true, but I have never heard of that happening to any of my mates controllers. I still have my original PS3 controller (which I got a couple of months after the PS3 released) and the battery is in perfect nick so I wouldn't consider it a factor in deciding which console to get.
    The ps3 analogues were decent the ps4 analogues are the tuthills quality version in comparison

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And it's on the PS4 but you could probably get it running on a C64!

If only that were true. I'm sitting here writing a collision detection system based on the tutorials these guys did. It's a hell of a lot more complex and elegant than you'd think just from playing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The ps3 analogues were decent the ps4 analogues are the tuthills quality version in comparison

It depends on how you handle them. Some people havent had an issue. Some people have. I gather you bought two filthy DS4's, but there's a chance you wouldn't have mauled them yourself, from new, in a matter of months.

It's not idea, and it needs fixing, but it doesn't affect everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 zanner

No way Xbox one PS4 all the way no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

zanner wrote: »

Close the thread. We're done here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

zanner wrote: »

Is that a decorative period?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement