Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

What ciderman is trying to say is.... get a PC and join the master race.

wallpaper__glorious_pc_gaming_master_race_by_admiralserenity-d5qvxos.png

Seriously tho, hes right. I see no reason to buy a PS4/Xbox1 until at least march/april when a few more of the big exclusives are out and some of the next gen multiplatform games.

As for the kinect... i can see its appeal to some people. Personally when i play on console, i like to sit back and relax... i don't want to have to speak to my TV and i certainly don't want to wave my hands and head around like a lunatic, so it will never interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Magill wrote: »
    What ciderman is trying to say is.... get a PC and join the master race.

I have a gaming PC.

That's not one bit relevant to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Grayditch wrote: »
    That's about as a cheap a shot as you think his one is.

Might unfollow this thread, in fairness.

but you still follow sony with all their cheap shots?:pac: can't win with you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    but you still follow sony with all their cheap shots?:pac: can't win with you

What does follow Sony even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

In fairness I wouldn't waste time trying to convince anyone of how good it is. They have to experience it. If its not your thing its not your thing. The response from the entire gaming community regarding Kinect has been very positive.

Well, you dont need to convince me, but MS does. they will need to work overtime to convince me to pay my money and get Xbox One, so far the list of "why not to buy" becomes bigger each day and Kinect is a big part of that List.
    Community has good things to say about it and as we see already that community is 4 times smaller then competition. I think it is clear that MS is not doing something right. I would not be surprised that majority of Xbox one community are hardcore fans of Xbox and there was not even an option in their mind to get something else. I am not saying it as a bad thing, but where the competition was 50% vs 50% it went to 25% to 75%. It is clearly that A lot of people switched. Even in Local gamestop there are 3 times more ps4 solds then Xbox one. Clearly MS is are not doing things right and Kinect is part of it. Where am I going with this? There are no surprises that the core Xbox fan base Like kinect ( or they try to convince themselves it was a well worth trade off ).

I really like how defensive Xbox owners got here. :P Instead of really showing me how it is beneficial it is more of a "well, I wount bother convincing you" or " you did not tried, you dont know, so shut up". I am still yet to see a PROPER use of Kinect in gaming. I am not talking about Menu navigation, because partly people are right - you wont convince me at all, as I got console for gaming and not for other stuff".

I really did not wanted to Anger Xbox people in here. Its just my opinion that a trade off that MS did with Kinect is not good Value for my needs. On top of other Policies MS pushed with Xbox one, I can hardly see me buying Xbox one any time soon. That is unfortunate, because I do love gaming.

p.s. Before you brand me PS4 fanboy - You are wrong here lads, I am PC master race member. Deal with it. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What does follow Sony even mean?

It means that someone is slavishly following a brand, ignoring the faults and finding it incredible that others don't share you POV, in this case the brand is Sony, or more specifically, Playstation.
    Fanboys, Fanbois if you will, are part of the flavour of gaming and it'd be a dull place without them, but they are, inevitably, brought low by their sometimes defensive reaction to any criticism of the brand they are following.
    Xbox and PS owners are case and point, more maddening personally are Apple fanbois, tbh.
    I, sadly/happily am a Ninty fanboi and am entranced by pretty much anything with a Nintendo logo.
    That said, I have a decent collection with most of what you can think of in there from the last 20 years, with a lack of some Japanese ephemera I'll grant you.

I do find, privately, that certain aspects of Nintendo hardware or games frustrate and irk, just as much as aspects of MS or Sony hardware does, but I can, at times, find it hard to admit it, feeling I'm letting the side down somewhat.
    I think this may be true of all "followers" of a gaming brand and is unfortunate.

In reality though, most of us will own most machines, you may decide on a Xbox One now, but at some point something you'll want to play will pop up on the PS4 and, as these instances increase in frequency, you'll cave and buy one.
    And the same goes vice-versa.

If someone is so blinded by their devotion to a single brand that they don't pick up the console, they are fools of the highest order and have, over the years, denied themselves some wonderful experiences.

Apologies to the OP for going off topic, if I have done.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It means that someone is slavishly following a brand, ignoring the faults and finding it incredible that others don't share you POV, in this case the brand is Sony, or more specifically, Playstation.
    Fanboys, Fanbois if you will, are part of the flavour of gaming and it'd be a dull place without them, but they are, inevitably, brought low by their sometimes defensive reaction to any criticism of the brand they are following.
    Xbox and PS owners are case and point, more maddening personally are Apple fanbois, tbh.
    I, sadly/happily am a Ninty fanboi and am entranced by pretty much anything with a Nintendo logo.
    That said, I have a decent collection with most of what you can think of in there from the last 20 years, with a lack of some Japanese ephemera I'll grant you.

I do find, privately, that certain aspects of Nintendo hardware or games frustrate and irk, just as much as aspects of MS or Sony hardware does, but I can, at times, find it hard to admit it, feeling I'm letting the side down somewhat.
    I think this may be true of all "followers" of a gaming brand and is unfortunate.

In reality though, most of us will own most machines, you may decide on a Xbox One now, but at some point something you'll want to play will pop up on the PS4 and, as these instances increase in frequency, you'll cave and buy one.
    And the same goes vice-versa.

If someone is so blinded by their devotion to a single brand that they don't pick up the console, they are fools of the highest order and have, over the years, denied themselves some wonderful experiences.

Apologies to the OP for going off topic, if I have done.

What this guy said:pac:

Well, I bought their product. I buy MS consoles, Nintendo ones. I've a Mac for music and a Windows laptop for work.

Seems I have LOT of following to do. I guess I'll start with Tefal...

What this guy said:pac:

All jokes and pacman faces aside, do you think it's bad form for Sony to take shots at the Xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

All jokes and pacman faces aside, do you think it's bad form for Sony to take shots at the Xbox?

:pac:

• Advertisement

nope its all fun and games really, I'd say they enjoy the rivalry if I'm honest, makes for more hype with people

Nolars wrote: »
    :pac:

Someone feed that dude, here,

nope its all fun and games really, I'd say they enjoy the rivalry if I'm honest, makes for more hype with people

Ah, you were supposed to say yeah its bad form etc etc, so I could post that video where Microsoft savaged the Google Book thing.

I love when huge corporations takes shots at each other and I love when rockstars call each other ****e on telly, I just do. I also love competition, it's a better marketplace for gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Well, you dont need to convince me, but MS does. they will need to work overtime to convince me to pay my money and get Xbox One, so far the list of "why not to buy" becomes bigger each day and Kinect is a big part of that List.
    Community has good things to say about it and as we see already that community is 4 times smaller then competition. I think it is clear that MS is not doing something right. I would not be surprised that majority of Xbox one community are hardcore fans of Xbox and there was not even an option in their mind to get something else. I am not saying it as a bad thing, but where the competition was 50% vs 50% it went to 25% to 75%. It is clearly that A lot of people switched. Even in Local gamestop there are 3 times more ps4 solds then Xbox one. Clearly MS is are not doing things right and Kinect is part of it. Where am I going with this? There are no surprises that the core Xbox fan base Like kinect ( or they try to convince themselves it was a well worth trade off ).

I really like how defensive Xbox owners got here. :P Instead of really showing me how it is beneficial it is more of a "well, I wount bother convincing you" or " you did not tried, you dont know, so shut up". I am still yet to see a PROPER use of Kinect in gaming. I am not talking about Menu navigation, because partly people are right - you wont convince me at all, as I got console for gaming and not for other stuff".

I really did not wanted to Anger Xbox people in here. Its just my opinion that a trade off that MS did with Kinect is not good Value for my needs. On top of other Policies MS pushed with Xbox one, I can hardly see me buying Xbox one any time soon. That is unfortunate, because I do love gaming.

p.s. Before you brand me PS4 fanboy - You are wrong here lads, I am PC master race member. Deal with it. :cool:

You have already branded yourself, you don't need any help from me :D

You haven't angered any Xbox One owners in here I am afraid. Fail on your part lol.
    The benefits of the Kinect have been outlined to you but lets face it you have no interest. :)

I really don't think you should get an Xbox, its not hardcore enough for you. I'll be playing Kinect "Flower Arranger" and Just Dance if you need me, oh and shouting at my Kinect :D

BTW, I am also buying a PS4 but just as a foot warmer while I am playing my Xbox One. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Do PSN and Xbox live have apps that you can use on your smartphone to buy games and stuff? I bought a game on steam and was able to pay for it, download and install it on my PC at home using my phone while I was in college.

If this isn't possible with the consoles they should get on it! It's very handy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's all a laugh though, right?
    I mean, these are simply untested consoles with who knows what in the next 5 to 7 years in terms of output.
    If I had a look at the opening salvo on the PS3 I'd never have thought The Last of Us would be the most affecting game I've played since Ico/SoTC.
    Similarly the 360 launch games didn't prepare me for stuff like Halo Reach.

Remember, these companies have no loyalty to you, just to their shareholders.
    They aren't being mean or anything, they are simply in business.
    Some have a public ethos concerning the provision of quality games or quality experiences but one look at the type of tripe Sony and MS have tried to flog us, most Kinect software, poor third person platformers from Sony that "wish" they were Mario games, and so on, they are turning a buck and that is all.

Aside from Ninty, they love us all, it's just some people take a little while longer to come around.

It's interesting that Sony and MS take pot shots at each other, like Sony at the E3 or MS at the failures of the PS4 recently, but that's what they do, it's nothing personal, it's simply trying to undermine the faith in the format for softwilled people and ignorant parents so their machine will get a head start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

MadYaker wrote: »
    Do PSN and Xbox live have apps that you can use on your smartphone to buy games and stuff? I bought a game on steam and was able to pay for it, download and install it on my PC at home using my phone while I was in college.

If this isn't possible with the consoles they should get on it! It's very handy.

You can do that with PlayStation and i THINK smartglass on XBO - I've got the app but I haven't actually tried that yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not only that but you are going to be cursed with update after update, not to mention a likely hardware revision in the next 12 months.

I think this is the most notable part, firmware wise it will be a year before the bugs get worked out and all the features they've talked about get added in.

Another important point, and highlighted by the US launch....hardware issues, day one buyers are basically beta testers. Sony will make revisions at the factory level and sort any production issues.

But it could take 3-4 months for that to filter down to a console you buy. As for a hardware revision....it will happen but i doubt we'll see the PS4 get a slim or super slim model.

The first thing sony want is a die shrink to 20nm....brings huge benefits to the system, less heat and power consumption. sony get more cores per wafer + cheaper cost.

We might see some tweaks to the internals, maybe chip revisions or a lower wattage PSU. But i dont expect any major overhaul for two years.

Games are sparse right now, there again you'll need 12-18 months to get a decent library and quality games from Naughty dog etc.

As a day one buyer i would recomend anyone to WAIT until this time next year, look for a bundle or bargain and make the next gen move then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Buy now €400/€500
    Buy later €400/€500

The consoles will stay the same price for at least 2 years, so if you have the money then buy now. Plus the fact that you're PS3/360 will be worth feck all in 2 years, means you should cash them in now towards the PS4 or X1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I don't think I've ever seen as much hype for a console launch as the PS4 in Europe this weekend.

jcdfx.gif

xe8cd.gif

iycw7J02m48Ae.gif

Also known as

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

LOL Guess they really want to play Killzone and knack ! Pathetic :D

So glad I didn't have to stampede for one, in fairness.

The PS4 is savage, I'm chuffed with my choice as to which one to get first. Everything is so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

RasTa wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen as much hype for a console launch as the PS4 in Europe this weekend.
    I'm sure they are all eager to own consoles kicked about by some fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The queue for the PS4 in Berlin, took the fella nearly 4 minutes to get from the start to the front of it.

According to http://www.computerbase.de/ over 7000 people were queuing for the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Sony must be loving those stampede videos. Best advertising they'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

James74 wrote: »
    Sony must be loving those stampede videos. Best advertising they'll get.

They don't even need it. The PS4 is already outselling the Xbox One straight out of the traps.

On a side note people always say how clam, collect, efficient and cool the German folk are.:D Must be just the German gamers.:pac:

How much is it outselling the xbox1 by? 2:1? 3:1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

whatever articles ive seen it only seems to be a slight advantage to Sony. Considering the ps4 is out in more regions and is 100 euro cheaper is it really that impressive?

http://news.yahoo.com/playstation-4-beating-xbox-one-early-u-k-230054037.html

http://www.fool.com.au/2013/11/29/where-the-ps4-and-xbox-one-stand-after-launch/

To early to say I suppose.

• Advertisement

They've both probably sold as many as they've made, so counting now is probably pointless. If anyone is interested though, the difference, if any, will show in about a year when both are more available and more people have moved to next gen consoles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement