Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Corvo wrote: »
    So eh....thinking of buying a Next Gen console this week - haven't had a Playstation since number 2. Been Xbox since. Dare I ask which is the better choice?

Both have advantages I guess.

PS4 will probably be the best platform for the majority of multi platform games this generation due to better performance (Framerates or Resolution advantages).

Exclusives, depends which you like more... entirely subjective.

Controllers, again, subjective.

If you like online gaming, depends what your friends are gaming on I guess, more people buying PS4's probably equates to more friends on the platform but since you've been XBox last gen maybe more of them will go XB1 than PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Nolars wrote: »
    not in here the xbox people ill say xbox and PS4 will say Ps4. Ask people who have both.

Not the case. I recommended someone getting a PS4 on this thread the other week.
    If your friends are on PS4 I'd definitely recommend following suit especially for multiplayer games.

The Dual shook 4 is really easy to adjust to coming from the Xbox 360. It feels nice and comfortable and the analog sticks are positioned well. I have to say that the XB1 controller is far superior IMO. The position of the analog sticks is very good and the grips are great. I feel you can get more precision from the XB1 controller.

I always find out more about a gamer before making any recommendation. I don't make blind recommendations on which console I think is better. I look at the persons needs & preferences and sometimes this is better served on XB1 and sometimes PS4 or in some cases we have recommended staying with the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Other people here will pedal their own preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So eh....thinking of buying a Next Gen console this week - haven't had a Playstation since number 2. Been Xbox since. Dare I ask which is the better choice?

Get a Wii U and a Vita, then when more games are out next year get a PS4 or XB1, it will be easier to decide then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

like a load of kids trying to bunch up in groups and bully each other cos we say we are better.....

peasants only owning one of the consoles yeah you heard me you peasants...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

like a load of kids trying to bunch up in groups and bully each other cos we say we are better.....

peasants only owning one of the consoles yeah you heard me you peasants...... :D

I thought you only bought multiples as an anti vandalism precaution?..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Magill wrote: »
    Exactly, I remember reading articles and forum posts for years about how the Xbox 360 was crushing the PS3 in sales etc, it happens, people like to talk figures. Didn't really impact the consoles that much as the PS3 in the end had far superior games imo.

I mean the same people complaining about PS4 "Fanboys" pointing it out are the ones not so long ago were claiming Nintendo are going to quit making consoles and develop 3rd party games because their sales were much lower than the PS4's.

I am pretty sure nintendo will have a last laugh in this whole situation. They might not be selling in buck loads and have astronomical numbers, but they will have a niche market, which will just make a nice steady income with low risks. So far nintendo is the only one who can have such efficient game sales. Just look at mariokart sale figures. That game alone managed to sell 2million copies in such short time! Yeah, there are not as many consoles, but those who got those consoles buy games!

Since I got wii u, my ps4 was not turned on. I got wii u a week and have already managed to play 20++ h of monster hunter alone. That is very impressive, knowing that I mainly pc gamer and don't care about first party nintendo stuff lol.

I thought you only bought multiples as an anti vandalism precaution?..... :D
    SHE KNOWS THE DEAL NOW......

so how many peasants are in this thread again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I am pretty sure nintendo will have a last laugh in this whole situation. They might not be selling in buck loads and have astronomical numbers, but they will have a niche market, which will just make a nice steady income with low risks. So far nintendo is the only one who can have such efficient game sales. Just look at mariokart sale figures. That game alone managed to sell 2million copies in such short time! Yeah, there are not as many consoles, but those who got those consoles buy games!

Since I got wii u, my ps4 was not turned on. I got wii u a week and have already managed to play 20++ h of monster hunter alone. That is very impressive, knowing that I mainly pc gamer and don't care about first party nintendo stuff lol.

take it into account when amiibo figures come out at the end of the year money from that alone will more than enough cover the losses the wii u had to suffer from and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

SHE KNOWS THE DEAL NOW......

Some people in this thread have over 30 consoles, would be careful who you are referring to as peasants :pac:

Xenji wrote: »
    Some people in this thread have over 30 consoles, would be careful who you are referring to as peasants :pac:
    i am referring to those that own one of the above two and are giving opinions on both when they really have very little knowledge in comparing the machines site by side.

also i have tons of gameboys ds etc but they are not worth much even a peasant can have multiple aged consoles :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It'd be interesting to see the attachment rate of games to consoles alright.
    The WiiU might be doing OK but the Wii was terrible, a lot of the casual market bought it and, as it came with the Wii Sports packed in, they never bought another game.
    Hurt a lot of third parties apparently.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It'd be interesting to see the attachment rate of games to consoles alright.
    The WiiU might be doing OK but the Wii was terrible, a lot of the casual market bought it and, as it came with the Wii Sports packed in, they never bought another game.
    Hurt a lot of third parties apparently.
    WHILE THE WII SOLD TO THE MASSES it was a very limited machine apart from the huge ninty titles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Wii U sits between the PS4 and the ONE on numbers, and there's been games selling comparable numbers on those in equally short times.

Selling to a niche market is great, but not for a company the size of Nintendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Varik wrote: »
    The Wii U sits between the PS4 and the ONE on numbers, and there's been games selling comparable numbers on those in equally short times.

Selling to a niche market is great, but not for a company the size of Nintendo.

things will change with nintendo next consoles , already has with nintendo marketing and handling with the fans and other gamers.

was around this time last year nintendo lawyers tried to ban evo despite the out cry and smash bros melee smashing records and this year nintendo was actually one of the sponsors.

The confusing message thats its for kids to the fans to families it seemed the general audience actually buying the wii u are hardcore gamers.

I would be so sure to say Nintendo market is niche , Niche does not sell games more than the competitors that the audience considers hardcore platforms.

there is currently 45 million 3ds users that are willing to buy a nintendo system over a sony handled.

People will go where the games are at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Having had a 360 on day one in 2005 and being "Xbox" since the first Xbox console (and my 3rd PS2 died) I got my PS3 in 2007 for MGS, I am thinking it may be by next year I will get an Xbox One, when a system seller comes along...

That system seller won't be Halo this time around though with Destiny, nor I doubt will it be any of the "exclusives" coming to the machine, state of them...

Gears may eventually push me but not if it is being made by People Can Fly....

I love how my PSN friends list is slowly filling up with old 360 heads, so many friends have joined in jumping ship over the whole mess of E3 last year, some of the lads have bought Xbox Ones and then rang me to ask how the **** do I return this and get a PS4, bless...

Im not saying the exclusives for Xbox wont come, they will eventually, but the bread and butter of COD and EA games dont tend to interest me....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭Corvo

Thanks very much lads, I thought I would stir up an awful hornets nest.

Im not crazy into Halo/Forza and as such, exclusives don't bother me that much. Online wise - I took a bit of break in the last few years and as such, only got back into it with Splinter Cell and Battlefield recently.

The most annoying thing at the moment is the lack of titles to help me decide. I'll always swing towards Xbox but is there any reliability issues I should note? Its a lot of money to splash on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Im not crazy into Halo/Forza and as such, exclusives don't bother me that much. Online wise - I took a bit of break in the last few years and as such, only got back into it with Splinter Cell and Battlefield recently.

The most annoying thing at the moment is the lack of titles to help me decide. I'll always swing towards Xbox but is there any reliability issues I should note? Its a lot of money to splash on something.

Having worked for Xbox for a while the main reliability issues are dodgy disc drives on the X1, overheating Kinects and shoddy controllers, but the PS4 has similar issues, awfully made rubber on analogue sticks, the odd dodgy HDMI output, no real reports of overheating as of yet though....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

No reliability issues from either console - both seem well built.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Fieldog wrote: »
    Having worked for Xbox for a while the main reliability issues are dodgy disc drives on the X1, overheating Kinects and shoddy controllers, but the PS4 has similar issues, awfully made rubber on analogue sticks, the odd dodgy HDMI output, no real reports of overheating as of yet though....

In Ireland? I haven't seen any of these issues and i have a bunch of consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I never played any of the Gears of War: Judgement but Bulletstorm was mighty craic. Was it a letdown for you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

No substantial or noteworthy reliability problems for either console, so you're safe enough in whatever choice you make.

PSN has improved a lot with the PS4. It's a paid service now, but you get free games every month.

If multiplats are your main priority, then PS4 will run them better all the time, due to it being the stronger console.

The exclusives are nothing to dismiss, they're the reason for buying a console, and it's nearly always exclusives that are the best games to buy.
    Xbox has a steady stream of them, but their pedigree isn't the same as Playstation. Once they get going from next year onwards, there won't be any slow down.

Having had a 360 on day one in 2005 and being "Xbox" since the first Xbox console (and my 3rd PS2 died) I got my PS3 in 2007 for MGS, I am thinking it may be by next year I will get an Xbox One, when a system seller comes along...

That system seller won't be Halo this time around though with Destiny, nor I doubt will it be any of the "exclusives" coming to the machine, state of them...

I love how my PSN friends list is slowly filling up with old 360 heads, so many friends have joined in jumping ship over the whole mess of E3 last year, some of the lads have bought Xbox Ones and then rang me to ask how the **** do I return this and get a PS4, bless...

Im not saying the exclusives for Xbox wont come, they will eventually, but the bread and butter of COD and EA games dont tend to interest me....
    neither console has anything much to offer in exclusives though. thats the gas thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Exclusives and friends are the main two determining factors. Which console has the exclusives you want to play more, and which console will the majority of your friends be playing on for multiplayer etc.

F1ngers wrote: »
    No reliability issues from either console - both seem well built.
    eh both consoles have certain issues with discdrives, the ps4 has a hdmi issue aswell, the ps4 controller is in no way good quality and the xbox one constantly needs to be reset so both systems imo are flawed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

the xbox one constantly needs to be reset

News to me :confused:

What's this about?

have seen and heard of xb1 disc drive issues ps 4 has similar. the kinect overheating is a new one i have heard of though. the xbox one controller is very good imo apart from rb and lb being tricky if you press on inside of buttons.

maximoose wrote: »
    News to me :confused:

What's this about?
    what basically happens is the console was having issues doing things like chat etc or going into apps and i was having to reset from main console button. see lads i call a spade a spade you should do the same both systems are flawed imo and **** all exclusives on either wii u ftw

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

eh both consoles have certain issues with discdrives, the ps4 has a hdmi issue aswell, the ps4 controller is in no way good quality and the xbox one constantly needs to be reset so both systems imo are flawed

You will always have issues with electronics, I believe a majority accept this - there are no monumental reliability issues like YLoD and RRoD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I wasn't aware that production of the Xbox One has been halted.

I assume you have a reliable source for confirming this? and its not just wishful, creative thinking on your part lol

Yeah here as already pointed out.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/216199/Xbox_One_increases_Microsoft_revenues__but_its_cost_cuts_into_profits.php

Seems most of the world are onto the fact that the PS4 and the Wii-u are the only consoles they need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    If multiplats are your main priority, then PS4 will run them better all the time, due to it being the stronger console. .

I'm puzzled,if the PS4 is stronger then how do you explain Wolfenstein being able to reach 1080p and 60fps on both platforms.That argument might of ran well at the release stage of the consoles life but both consoles will be able to run 1080 p and 60fps by next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement