Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah here as already pointed out.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/216199/Xbox_One_increases_Microsoft_revenues__but_its_cost_cuts_into_profits.php

Seems most of the world are onto the fact that the PS4 and the Wii-u are the only consoles they need

What if the only games you want to play are Halo, Gears and Forza. You'd be kind of screwed then :pac:

(And I say this as a Wii U and PS4 owner who will undoubtedly buy an X1 in the not too distant future)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    The exclusives are nothing to dismiss, they're the reason for buying a console, and it's nearly always exclusives that are the best games to buy.

Honestly that's not true at all. Most exclusives are pretty average games. Outside of the Wii U and probably the PC, the best games are multiplatform bar the one or two great exclusives sony or ms pull out.

For every Uncharted or Gears of War you have a Skyrim, Darksouls, Portal, Half life (I wish), Red Dead, Fallout or equivalent. You could easily go through an entire generation playing only multi-platform games and play nothing but great games. Games like Killzone and Deadrising are completely forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Yeah here as already pointed out.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/216199/Xbox_One_increases_Microsoft_revenues__but_its_cost_cuts_into_profits.php

Seems most of the world are onto the fact that the PS4 and the Wii-u are the only consoles they need

It hasn't been pointed out. All that Microsoft have stated is that they plan to “channel inventory drawdown for Xbox consoles”.

They have not stated that they are halting the production of Xbox One.
    That is a conclusion being drawn by the author of that article.

Come on guys, at least post something a bit more credible :pac:

I'm puzzled,if the PS4 is stronger then how do you explain Wolfenstein being able to reach 1080p and 60fps on both platforms.That argument might of ran well at the release stage of the consoles life but both consoles will be able to run 1080 p and 60fps by next year.

It's widely known that the PS4 is the (somewhat anyway) more powerful console, although it probably won't be as big with Kinect essentially out of the picture. 1 game running at the same resolution and fps doesn't change that.

I think the difference is being overplayed though and I can't ever see someone who chooses an X1 looking longingly at a PS4 owner playing the same 3rd party game and being jealous of the super duper PS4 version.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I'm puzzled,if the PS4 is stronger then how do you explain Wolfenstein being able to reach 1080p and 60fps on both platforms.That argument might of ran well at the release stage of the consoles life but both consoles will be able to run 1080 p and 60fps by next year.

A few people have said this, as soon as the developers sort it out, it will be a moot point.
    Sooner they do it the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It hasn't been pointed out. All that Microsoft have stated is that they plan to “channel inventory drawdown for Xbox consoles”.

They have not stated that they are halting the production of Xbox One.
    That is a conclusion being drawn by the author of that article.

Come on guys, at least post something a bit more credible :pac:

Well there obviously not going to admit it, this latest result proves my theory imo.

When was the last time they admitted end user sales? Great to see Nintendo back.

Japan as always showing the yanks how to make consoles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

They could be catering to the lowest possible denominator, but there are other factors, not just resolution and FPS. Graphical effects and AA could differ too.

Both will improve and become more efficient, but the hardware gap will always remain. If multiplats are your only concern or priority, you're better off with the PS4 in that regard.

Since the multi-platform performance gap is now becoming more like a stream I look forward to the "Oh, there is a better shadow on my console", "my console can do it 5 frames faster than yours" arguments :D

Well there obviously not going to admit it, this latest result proves my theory imo.

When was the last time they admitted end user sales? Great to see Nintendo back.

Japan as always showing the yanks how to make consoles

What is your theory?

I know I'll be sorry for asking but I have some aspirin for the headache I am about to have :rolleyes:

What is your theory?

I know I'll be sorry for asking but I have some aspirin for the headache I am about to have :rolleyes:

They aren't producing consoles anymore and are clearing stock.

• Advertisement

What happens when the stock runs out?

* Takes aspirin with water.

What do you think? You seem to be giving yourself a headache. They are obviously sitting on millions of consoles, sitting in stores unsold.

If/when they demand picks up they will produce more. Simple really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

*Swaps water with poitin...:p

What do you think? You seem to be giving yourself a headache. They are obviously sitting on millions of consoles, sitting in stores unsold.

If/when they demand picks up they will produce more. Simple really.

Yayyyyy! Supply and demand.

They could be sitting on trillions of consoles I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I think his point is, the xbox ones aren't selling nearly as well as they'd hoped.

Since the multi-platform performance gap is now becoming more like a stream I look forward to the "Oh, there is a better shadow on my console", "my console can do it 5 frames faster than yours" arguments :D

I distinctly remember it was used as a plus for the 360 at the time, and in honesty, if multiplats are your thing, why not just get the one that plays them best?
    Seems pretty straightforward.

Magill wrote: »
    I think his point is, the xbox ones aren't selling nearly as well as they'd hoped.

Compared to the disaster they initially planned on selling, I think they're doing far better now than if they launched their planned console, and they aren't struggling. Sure they're not too much behind the wii u that had a year head start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭Corvo

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Well in honesty, compared to the disaster they initially planned on selling, I think they're doing far better now than if they launched their planned console.

And the thing is, I'm wondering why this is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yayyyyy! Supply and demand.

They could be sitting on trillions of consoles I heard.

Kind of like the vita, only they're not talking up how hard it is to find one.

Corvo wrote: »
    And the thing is, I'm wondering why this is so.

I think there's 2 main reasons, the 1st being the marketing campaigns prior to launch. Sony played there's perfectly while Microsoft's initially was a disaster, although it did improve as time went on.

The 2nd was the price differential. Regardless of including the Kinect, that $/€100 difference had a big effect.

That's now been eliminated and in fairness to MS they have taken a lot of steps to improve the situation, although a lot of damage had been done by the prior regime.

Oh, and the exclusives were very strong for the last few years of the PS3 life, while MS eased back on the 360, so that might have had an effect as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

EDIT: Nevermind, not actually going to get into it!

Of course they aren't selling as much as they hoped. Every company wants to sell more.

What I cant get is how we go from Microsoft saying they want to move some excess stock to the consoles production line has being halted.

They have excess stock. They might have over produced too many units.

What I find funny is that there hasn't been any criticism of Sony for being understocked for months yet Microsoft have some excess stock and its "let em have itttt" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

No, they are launching in new locales in 2 months and production has ramped up, not down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Theres 3 things that cant be denied.

1. Microsofts announcement, and initial marketing of the xbox one was an unmitigated disaster that has done incredible damage to the brand.
    2. Sony masterfully exploited this, and made very smart moves to drop the camera from their package, deliver digs about game sharing etc at conferences, and in general come across as good guy greg. This has given them a great head start.
    3. We're only 9 months into this console generation, the launch titles are done, and we're starting to see the emergence of ps4 / xbox one only games that will (i.e. not appearing on ps3 or 360). Software optimisation, system updates and programmer familiarity with systems will bring them pretty much in line.

Despite what many would say, neither microsoft nor nintendo are going away any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

imo wiiu>xbox one>ps4>pc :D

AWAITS THE PC FTW lol

leaving pc out thats how i see it the wii u is an amazing piece of kit and xbox one and ps4 are around the same but xbox pipping it because of controller issues

No, they are launching in new locales in 2 months and production has ramped up, not down.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Honestly that's not true at all. Most exclusives are pretty average games. Outside of the Wii U and probably the PC, the best games are multiplatform bar the one or two great exclusives sony or ms pull out.

For every Uncharted or Gears of War you have a Skyrim, Darksouls, Portal, Half life (I wish), Red Dead, Fallout or equivalent. You could easily go through an entire generation playing only multi-platform games and play nothing but great games. Games like Killzone and Deadrising are completely forgettable.

I would completely disagree. Uncharted and TLOU were amazing, as was GoW, Journey, and others.

The same can be said for many of the xbox exclusives too.

If multiplats are solely your game, then it's PC all the way. But it's always the exclusives that sell the console. Otherwise sure there wouldn't be much of a point having all 3 consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Link?

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/03/19/xbox-one-hitting-26-more-markets-in-september/

^^ china is missing from this though and I am pretty sure a number of locales will be slipping until Jan 15.

• Advertisement

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/03/19/xbox-one-hitting-26-more-markets-in-september/

^^ china is missing from this though and I am pretty sure a number of locales will be slipping until Jan 15.

That doesn't say anything about upping production to meet demands??? Pretty nothing markets anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement