Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Grayditch wrote: »
    They've both probably sold as many as they've made, so counting now is probably pointless. If anyone is interested though, the difference, if any, will show in about a year when both are more available and more people have moved to next gen consoles.

Yup exactly.

PS4 sold 1 million in North America in the first 24 hours alone but that's because that's all Sony could make by launch.

Microsoft sold 1 million in World Wide launch in first 24 hours because that's all Microsoft could make by launch.

Exactly, no point counting 'till about a years time.

And besides, who f*cking cares which sold more!? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

DaLad wrote: »
    Yup exactly.

PS4 sold 1 million in North America in the first 24 hours alone but that's because that's all Sony could make by launch.

Microsoft sold 1 million in World Wide launch in first 24 hours because that's all Microsoft could make by launch.

I need to justify my purchase by knowing which was bought more. Then I can proceed to use this as an argument as why it is better to those that bought the other, after spending the next year or so doing that there will be a nice library of games so I can use my console of choice then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Far too early to call it. The only constant in the industry is change. Just look at the 3ds and its turn around from being written off as a flop to becoming one of the most successful consoles of all time.

Journalists seem to emphasise doom and gloom too much instead of looking at the long term picture. It also makes better headlines so I wouldn't go only on what so called games journalists say either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Well I care in a way, I guess, in the sense that I'd prefer if they are all square a year from now and still battling for gamers affections. If either company go too far ahead, they'll probably get even more silly with policies etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nolars wrote: »
    whatever articles ive seen it only seems to be a slight advantage to Sony. Considering the ps4 is out in more regions and is 100 euro cheaper is it really that impressive?

Yes it's very impressive, Xbox managed 1m sales in their major countries whilst PS has matched it in North America alone.

What I don't understand is were all the hype is coming from considering the PS3 v 360 are almost identical in sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

read

RasTa wrote: »
    Yes it's very impressive, Xbox managed 1m sales in their major countries whilst PS has matched it in North America alone.

What I don't understand is were all the hype is coming from considering the PS3 v 360 are almost identical in sales.
    Yup exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That's a different ball game there. The 360 had the market to itself especially in Europe for a few months until the PS3 showed up, and when it did, with an expensive price tag and with a very poor line up of games. Sony pulled it back later in the life cycle and it overtook 360 sales in Europe in the last 18 months or so.

This time for gen 8, the playing field is a bit more level. It's with the Japanese launch in Feb 14 and when the XOne launches in more countries when things will start to heat up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Sales are important as there's always a chance a console will be discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

If you own a PS4 you should want Xbox One to sell well and if you own an Xbox One you should want PS4 to sell well. Competition between two consoles will greatly benefit the gamers on both systems.

When talking about console sales something to consider is that this is not a sprint, its a marathon that is run over a few years. A great start is just that, a great start. Sony have done a superb job of their PR guaranteeing them a fast start off the blocks. Since there is no real profit made on the sale of either console the biggest factor determining success is the subscriptions to Xbox live and PSN + and the sale of games, its all about the games. Which ever company secures exclusivity on the most anticipated games year after year will triumph.

Personally, I love having the underdog console. Microsoft have much to prove. I am impressed with their sales after the E3 reveal. They have really managed a good comeback. Securing Titanfall has a console exclusive was major for Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay, I call a bit of a bull**** on WHO CARES ABOUT SALES. EMmmmm you all should. Wii U sales were **** and so many developers pulled out. EA is not making games for it. So I guess Nintendo did not care and now they are still in the world of ****. The only thing holding them together is first party and as we see so far thats all it can do for Wii U. There is always a come back, like 3DS, but then again, THE SALES MATTER, because everyone started buying it and developers see 3DS as a Solid platform to make games on.

The thing that PS4 outselling so much Xbox One should be a bit scary to MS. They need finger out and sort out their "VCR Brick". MS sold a lot of consoles, but sony selling even more. 1mil US vs 1Mil worldwide. I hope Sony will tell us soon, how did the EU sales went.

So yeah, you should care how many consoles are sold if you want content on your prefered console. Your LOVE to your console alone wont create new content for you.

Edit:
    If you own a PS4 you should want Xbox One to sell well and if you own an Xbox One user you should want PS4 to sell well. Competition between two consoles will greatly benefit the gamers on both systems.

Here, this is a great point to make. Xbox one has to get sales in fast. Sony will get lazy and wont bother to compete as they will think that they won race already. Both MS and Sony need to be on their toes and be as nice as possible to gamer, who fecking pays their wages.

• Advertisement

read

Read someone else's point? You were the one claiming it isn't that impressive, it is.

It's hard to believe Sony (seem to) have clawed ahead, after the dark days of the PS3 initial release where they looked like they were entering the race too far behind with a rubbish expensive console with no games. Things seemed to start to improve around 2009, with a lot of great exclusives. I got one as a present and MGS4 made me change my mind about it.

This time around E3 turned out to be so influential. They got the media and gamers alike on their side and took direct digs at Microsoft making them look like the bad guys.

It's still close enough to be a great console war, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Read someone else's point? You were the one claiming it isn't that impressive, it is.

sony dedicated all there resources to that region, Microsoft could of done the same and not bothered with Europe. Both sold 1 million. If you dont understand that simple point.

sony dedicated all there resources to that region, Microsoft could of done the same and not bothered with Europe. Both sold 1 million. If you dont understand that simple point.

You're not making any point but MS selling 1 million in US, Canada, Germany, GB, France etc is the same as Sony selling 1m in NA.

I disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Interesting article on WIRED on the launch of the last gen consoles; A Fond Farewell to the Craziest, Longest, Most Eventful Console Generation Ever. The whole article is worth a read, but I'll just quote the finishing conclusions:
    So, what lessons can we take away as we bid farewell to this console generation?

Expect the unexpected. Nobody saw the Wii coming, and anyone who tells you they did is a liar. Some people imagined that Nintendo might do okay for itself and vastly improve upon the GameCube’s performance at least, but the level of unprecedented success it enjoyed illustrated that Sony and Microsoft were not the last word in gaming. PlayStation 4 might take off like a rocket this time, or Xbox One, or neither or both, due to some unforeseen combination of factors. Or another company might still ride in with the Wii of this generation, whatever that ends up being.

Disappointed in the console? Voice your concerns and be specific. Microsoft and Sony have the ability to fix any software problem with the devices that you already own. We should expect, as with last generation, huge changes to the user interface and feature sets of Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U as the console’s life cycles go on. If stuff doesn’t work as well as you’d like now, don’t just write the machine off as terrible, but tell the company what you want to see.

You may just have to get used to some things that you don’t like. As we begin the generation, we’re seeing Xbox games integrate free-to-play mechanics even though the games are not actually free-to-play in many cases. We complained about microtransactions and mandatory game installations, but those didn’t go away — quite to the contrary, they became almost mandatory.

Expect this console generation to go on for a long time… maybe even forever. You may have been unhappy that it took this long for new consoles, but Microsoft and Sony were probably ecstatic that they were working on the same platforms for eight and seven years, respectively. Getting to address a growing, growing, growing installed base without having to start back at zero must have been fun while it lasted. (And note that publishers are still, for the most part, releasing their big games across the two console generations.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Shocked to hear someone recommend selling off the current gen stuff now to buy into the Xbox1 or PS4, there are so many great games on the current gen, what sort of madness is it getting rid when all your going to have to play on your new machines is the launch stuff ams a handful oz releases over the next 8 to 12 months.
    Also, to the person suggesting the notion that either new machine would be discontinued, are you high? These two machines are going to be here for the next 7 or 8 years, end of.
    Regarding sales, Japan will skew the figures because the country is enormously faithful to home grown games machines. It never mattered how good the content on the 360, they never made a dent in the sort of numbers the PS3 was selling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

To be honest, trumpeting about the sales figures of the next gen machine you selected is a bit juvenile.
    It seems like you are justifying your choice, "Look at me, I chose the best console and all these people agree with me"
    And if that is how you quantify good gaming gods help you.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with my PS3, 360, 3DS, Vita and the other 56 games consoles I own.
    While many will be sitting there with their thumb up their backside waiting for something new to play over the next year, keep that in mind ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

If sales are poor, developers stop developing and sales get worse. It becomes a downward spiral pretty quickly. The Xbox definitely carries this risk but MS will likey use their money to keep it going. Still, you could be buying a console with f all new games in the next 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Shocked to hear someone recommend selling off the current gen stuff now to buy into the Xbox1 or PS4, there are so many great games on the current gen, what sort of madness is it getting rid when all your going to have to play on your new machines is the launch stuff ams a handful oz releases over the next 8 to 12 months.
    Also, to the person suggesting the notion that either new machine would be discontinued, are you high? These two machines are going to be here for the next 7 or 8 years, end of.
    Regarding sales, Japan will skew the figures because the country is enormously faithful to home grown games machines. It never mattered how good the content on the 360, they never made a dent in the sort of numbers the PS3 was selling.

Many people just want one box under their television.

I can't stand fan boys I have gone for an Xbox One but I am sure the PS4 will also be a great console.

Going for the Xbox One makes sense for me as my the same Xbox Live account I have on my 360 covers the new console.

I like the Microsoft exclusive games however there is a €60 add on to Forza 5 already for extra cars and I agree this is a rip off.

I live first person shooters and Gears of War and Halo were games I really enjoyed on the 360.

If you have a wide enough taste in games, the launch line-ups aren't actually that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Meh ps4 ,
    have an Xbox and ps3. But leaving x,bone alone. Using playstation3 footage to promote Xbox1 games . Trying to kick off new console generation as a slimey dictator? Unforgivable.

Alas people will be blind and prove there is a reason they thought they could get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Grayditch wrote: »
    If you have a wide enough taste in games, the launch line-ups aren't actually that bad.

You got to be kidding me? Nothing of interest at all. Killzone? Froneza driving yawn.

Watchdogs was the only one of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

You got to be kidding me? Nothing of interest at all. Killzone? Froneza driving yawn.

Watchdogs was the only one of interest.

If it's not to your taste that's fine. But I've been very happy so far and barely played any one of my games significantly.

Been switching between Killzone, War thunder, Warframe, Resogun, Contrast, BF4 and I haven't even looked at Dc Universe or Sound Shapes (since I have that for Vita)

And even looking over the next 5 months I'll be getting plenty of games. Everybody's gone to the Rapture, The Witness, Planetside 2, Blacklight Retribution, Infamous Second son, Octodad.

I've plenty interest anyway and they are all only one's I can think of right now without having a look of what's to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I picked up a PS4, and I work for Xbox - I spent the last month or so dicking around with the Xbone and it's just more of the same from what I can see, I enjoy playing BF4 personally and after seeing both versions in action on Friday my choice was cemented for the PS4 version...

I may get the Xbox one some day, if an exclusive comes to it that I won't be able to resist, like previous gen when I had no intention of buying a PS4 and along came MGS4, that changed things, then I played Uncharted and a few other great exclusives...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Seriously considering picking up a cheap PS3 after christmas just to play the exclusives.

Edit: and GTA 5 since theres no sign of that to come out on PC any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

MadYaker wrote: »
    Seriously considering picking up a cheap PS3 after christmas just to play the exclusives.

I'd highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Thomas D wrote: »
    If sales are poor, developers stop developing and sales get worse. It becomes a downward spiral pretty quickly. The Xbox definitely carries this risk but MS will likey use their money to keep it going. Still, you could be buying a console with f all new games in the next 2 years.

Quite a few of the higher ups in Microsoft want to get rid of the console, it has been making nearly 2 billion in losses for the company on a yearly basis.
    According to Nomura analyst Rick Sherlund, however, Microsoft isn't quite over that hump just yet. It is, in fact, bleeding money at an alarming rate, but nobody's noticed because the losses are masked by Android licensing revenues.

"If we start with the overall traditional [Entertainment and Devices Division] business that actually loses money before corporate allocations and back out the nearly $2 billion 95 percent gross margin Android phone royalties, we conclude that Xbox platform plus Windows phone and Skype lose about $2.5 billion per year, and we estimate that the Xbox platform may account for roughly $2 billion of this," Sherlund said.

That staggering loss, he added, "is concealed by the hugely profitable Android royalties" that come out of licensing deals Microsoft has with makers of Android devices, which were forced by Google's infringement on various Microsoft patents during the development of the Android OS. Xbox is a "cool" product and successful consumer franchise, Sherlund said, "but it also loses a lot of money and we think is a distraction to the more enterprise strengths of Microsoft."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129463-Microsoft-Loses-2-Billion-Per-Year-On-Xbox-Analyst-Says

If Stephen Elop ended up replacing current Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, he has publicly stated he would seriously consider selling off the Xbox business .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Xenji wrote: »
    Quite a few of the higher ups in Microsoft want to get rid of the console, it has been making nearly 2 billion in losses for the company on a yearly basis.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129463-Microsoft-Loses-2-Billion-Per-Year-On-Xbox-Analyst-Says

If Stephen Elop ended up replacing current Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, he has publicly stated he would seriously consider selling off the Xbox business .

Ohh my god, everyone run for the hills, sell, sell, sell, sell..... Get rid of your xbox ones while you still can, ahhhhhhh.... :eek:

I'd be more concerned about Sony, the PS4 is their last hope as a company.. I give them great respect for going all out or nothing with it. Microsoft has serious money. You only have to look at them securing the console exclusivity of Titanfall to see they have what is needed, money. Now that xbox has so many different revenue streams with its all in one aspect they'll clean up. Although has a gamer I want both companies to do well, it will work out great for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Ohh my god, everyone run for the hills, sell, sell, sell, sell..... Get rid of your xbox ones while you still can, ahhhhhhh.... :eek:

I'd be more concerned about Sony, the PS4 is their last hope as a company.. I give them great respect for going all out or nothing with it. Microsoft has serious money. You only have to look at them securing the console exclusivity of Titanfall to see they have what is needed, money, because xbox has now got so many different revenue streams because of its all in one aspect they'll clean up. Although has a gamer I want both companies to do well, it will work out great for everyone.

True, but I'd argue the same point too. Microsoft has mountains of money, but their bulk of revenue is from parents. They're quickly becoming irrelevant in the changing markets where all their products are failing. Their iPod rival, iPad rival and windows mobile are failing.

If anything this is their last shot to make it big with an all-in-one because they're not succeeding in other ways, and with mobile overtaking the desktop, windows will grow more and more irrelevant.

I don't think they're going anywhere for a long time because they've so much money, but I don't think there'll be very relevant in the comming decade, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I keep hearing people talk about the xbox beign an "All in one". What exactly does that mean ? The only things i'd want my console to do are

- Play games ( All reports suggest games will run better on PS4 ? )
    - Watch Movies ( Netflix and bluray on both consoles ? )

What exactly does the xbox do that the PS4 can't that is actually useful and what are these different revenue streams ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement